Random Question...

Hi,

I love salad but ever since I've been banded it seems to upset my stomach (burning and gurgling) when I eat salad by itself. If it's in a sandwich or pita or with something it's usually okay but if not, it always hurts about an hour after and for a long time. Does anyone else have salad issues? It kinda sucks because salad is good for you. Wait. Maybe it's the dressing and not the lettuce? Anyone have any thoughts? I've been using that wishbone spray in Italian and Caesar. I'm afraid of ranch dressing now.

Thank you!

#1 how long has it been since you're surgery? Just making sure you're following a post op diet. Eating solid foods to soon can cause all sorts of problems.

#2 you shouldn't be eating sandwiches, bread especially soft bread can get stuck (some people end up being able to eat bread, but the vast majority have problems with it). If you have to eat bread type food, hard breads are best

#3 I "think" you're not supposed to eat salad either with the band. I think I remember reading this, but can't say for sure. Someone else may be able to confirm or deny this.

and finally, when someone says "It hurts when I do this" generally the best answer is "Don't do that then". :)

I eat salad and have no problems.

My question to you is do you mean "salad" or lettuce? I can see having lettuce on a sandwich but that is not salad just an ingredient in the salad. Are you using iceburg lettuce or other types of greens?

Iceburg lettuce is one of the hardest things for your stomach to digest so maybe consider switching to another type of lettuce, like a butter or bibb might be easier on you.

Not sure where Bobdole heard you should not eat salad, but you are certainly allowed salad. I usually try to add a protein source like roasted chicken, hard boilded egg or cheese to my salads.

I don't have a problem with iceberg or Romaine lettuce, but can't handle leaf and the "good" lettuce blends. I also have to cut the lettuce in tiny pieces or it won't stay down. I can only eat a small amount of it though, otherwise I PB or regurgitate the salad.

I've had 3 fills and have pretty good restriction now and have had no problems with salad. It's one of my favorite things to eat at a restaurant.

Denise

Hi Angela,

You need to LISTEN to your body ~ very simple. Every person's body reacts differently with foods and drinks. If the food you are eating hurts you, you need to evaluate. Try it again and if you still hurt, know that you can't eat that particular food right now. Try a different source, like Kim says, try a different kind of lettuce and see if that works for you. Also, remember your portion control too. If you are adding other proteins in your 'salad' making, watch the volume and make sure your cheees, eggs, chicken, etc are cut up small.

Also, lettuce will give you gas to some degree. Like anything else, you need to walk or exercise to this the gas bubble moving. It's all trial in error of the food and drinks you eat. Hope this helps. Good Luck!

#1 how long has it been since you're surgery? Just making sure you're following a post op diet. Eating solid foods to soon can cause all sorts of problems.

#2 you shouldn't be eating sandwiches, bread especially soft bread can get stuck (some people end up being able to eat bread, but the vast majority have problems with it). If you have to eat bread type food, hard breads are best

#3 I "think" you're not supposed to eat salad either with the band. I think I remember reading this, but can't say for sure. Someone else may be able to confirm or deny this.

and finally, when someone says "It hurts when I do this" generally the best answer is "Don't do that then". :)

It's been 3 months since surgery and I didn't blend pizza in a blender. I stayed true to the liquid diet. I can eat the Sara lee 45 calorie wheat bread well, just not thicker breads. No one told me anything about not eating salad at the OCC.

It's been 3 months since surgery and I didn't blend pizza in a blender. I stayed true to the liquid diet. I can eat the Sara lee 45 calorie wheat bread well, just not thicker breads. No one told me anything about not eating salad at the OCC.

There is no rule to not eat salad. It is just known from peoples experiences that it can be one food that is difficult for some people. We all are different so eat what you can and don't eat what doesn't work easily. Simple!

I had salad the first day out of my liquid phase. I ate only a couple of bites and it was a mixes green. I had only a couple bites because I was full it didn't bother me but I have heard that lettuce is hard to digest so that papaya extract may be able to help you.