Am I doing something wrong

So I am one week from getting my 6 week fill and I am having a problem that is concerning me. I thought maybe it was acid in my stomach but I am just not sure. All I know is when my stomach is empty, it starts to hurt. It is an aching I can't explain. Almost like it is dry but maybe it is burning. It started about two weeks ago and is getting worse. It never comes up in my throat or anything like that. It hurts to the point where I get light headed. I am wondering if I am not getting enough protein or something. At one point I thought I would pass out. Maybe I am not eating enough. A normal day I have my coffee, sometimes I will have an egg and 1/4 cup hashbrown. Then I have my lunch at 12:00. That could be like today I had chicken with rice and some salad. Then I had turkey and stuffing bowl for dinner. I drink about 16-32 onces of water during the day but that seems to cause me problems so I started using crystal light cause water was making my stomach feel worse. I feel better right after I eat but only for a little while. I did catch some type of a bug that has made my throat hurt and I have been a little dry, but I was not sure if that was a bug or if this is a symptom of the band. I am not sure what to do. Has anyone had this problem? Is my band at risk? does this mean it slipped? I am having no pain when I eat, in fact I know I need a fill cause I can eat anything I want. Please someone tell me what this is?

So I am one week from getting my 6 week fill and I am having a problem that is concerning me. I thought maybe it was acid in my stomach but I am just not sure. All I know is when my stomach is empty, it starts to hurt. It is an aching I can't explain. Almost like it is dry but maybe it is burning. It started about two weeks ago and is getting worse. It never comes up in my throat or anything like that. It hurts to the point where I get light headed. I am wondering if I am not getting enough protein or something. At one point I thought I would pass out. Maybe I am not eating enough. A normal day I have my coffee, sometimes I will have an egg and 1/4 cup hashbrown. Then I have my lunch at 12:00. That could be like today I had chicken with rice and some salad. Then I had turkey and stuffing bowl for dinner. I drink about 16-32 onces of water during the day but that seems to cause me problems so I started using crystal light cause water was making my stomach feel worse. I feel better right after I eat but only for a little while. I did catch some type of a bug that has made my throat hurt and I have been a little dry, but I was not sure if that was a bug or if this is a symptom of the band. I am not sure what to do. Has anyone had this problem? Is my band at risk? does this mean it slipped? I am having no pain when I eat, in fact I know I need a fill cause I can eat anything I want. Please someone tell me what this is?

Stormy,

I am just finishing my 21 days of liquids, I start food tomorrow. Just wanted you to know that I started having a pain (no burning) about 4 am. I finally figured out that my body was depleted fo all the nutrients by this time. So, when I was going to bed about 10:30, at 4:00 or so I would wake up with this really bad pain and a feeling of emptiness. I was also extremely dizzy. I started having a scoop of my protein powder with 8 oz of skim milk. And after I got it all down, I would like back down for a bit. Not sure if it is the same thing, but, if I get really hungry or if I am not drinking properly, this will happen. You have to have your prpber nutrition. Hope you feel better soon.

are you taking any medications like Ibuprofen or similar?

No not right now

Stormy,

You have changed you're life and how you live it. You're eating less and at first its hard - our bodies all react differently. Don't push it and understand that you became an obese person by feeding yourself too much. When you eat 1/3 of the normal amount that you use to eat, sometimes our bodies will rebel at first and its hard. Make sure you're getting enough protein, start each day with a high protein shake to feed your muscles and your mind. It will help to keep that empty feeling in your stomach at bay and drink it before coffee which is hard on our stomachs.

You don't sound like you have a slip, you sound like you need to regulate your body to eating less than normal.

Take care and its not an easy ride but you're going to love it when you hit your goals!

Lisa

I have ALWAYS had a simialr problem. It turned out to be coffee. Not the caffeine but the oil in the coffee. I can only have one cup a day no more or I get very ill and stomach burning pain. Thats been going on for years. Now that I am banded, it has gotten worse. So, I am down to 1/2 cup of coffee and I know I have to stop it for good. So, maybe try NO coffee and see if that helps.

Or, try some tums when it happens and see if it helps. I have an acid problem but not like most people. I don't get the burning pain in my throat, I just get terribly nauseaus. A couple of tums does the trick. Just a suggestion - something to try.

Before my 2nd fill, can't remember if it started before my first fill, I would get woken up almost every night around 4 AM with stomach pain. It would wake me up and then it hurt so bad for up to 4-6 hours. In the past I have had problems with acid so I took antacids, sometimes it helped sometimes it didn't. I would also start having bad gas within a few hours of this pain usually so I thought it was Gas pain. Took anti gas stuff and it didn't seem to help either. I have no idea to this day what it was. It magically disappeared after my 2nd fill. Havn't had it since, not even once. Now whether this is the same sort of thing I don't know. I think as lisa said we all react differently to this change. Our bodies are in shock from it I do believe for a period of time. Nutrition is crucial and correctly getting what you need is key. Perhaps it is the coffee, that is nasty stuff for a tummy. Perhaps it's not as I don't drink the stuff anymore. Had to give it up years ago for stomach reasons. I do know that after I was first banded I tried taking half a caffeine pill because I was dragging and it made me sick as a dog...could it be caffeine? All I know is perhaps to call the OCC but I am not sure that would really be any more help than this forum at this point. A slipped band as you should know this would cause constant vomiting and you would be unable to keep anything down, terribly sick and would want to go to the ER. This does not sound like that at all. I hope this passes as mine did in time. In the meantime hang in there and don't stress over it, stress also causes the band to react terribly, believe me I know that one especially right now. I can hardly eat anything without PBing since the disaster in my life.

Remember if you are used to drinking coffee every morning the worst thing to do is go cold turke. Caffenine is like a drug not only will your stomach hurt but you'll probably end up with a migrane. Try to make sure you have some food in your stomach when you do drink the coffe and maybe a switch to a half decaf have regular blend may help. Before I got pregnant thats how I weened myself from the coffee. Hope you feel better soon.

I went through the same thing at first too..would wake up in the night with wicked stomach pains, hunger pains, it felt like someone was grabbing and twisting my insides...but it passes...I drink alot of water before bed to fill up my stomach and that seemed to help flush things through.

Lisa is right, our bodies are changing and adapting to the new way of eating...be patient, it will pass.