Major hiccup with Mexico trip

This is my first post - I've been coming to this site for some time now.....for information, inspiration and actually to make sure that I've made the right choice. My story is a hard fought one...I originally found a site online where I had arranged my lap band surgery in Tijuana, MX. That site is a complete hoax. I was scheduled to have my surgery last week - October 29. I had worked up the excitement - did my financing - scheduled my flight and time off from work. I had everything done then, lo and behold, the place emailed me and told me that they were having problems with my surgeon and I needed to reschedule with a new surgeon. All of my research had been on the first surgeon and I knew absolutely nothing about the new one. I tried to get more information and tried to speak to someone only to be left blowing in the wind. Finally, I received an email from them stating how sorry they were and to please be patient as they try to get new dates with the new surgeon. Well my patience had already run its course - no calls, no emails, nothing from them in the weeks leading up to this. They expected me to just change my flight, time off work, etc like it was a piece of cake. The guy actually stated in an email that it shouldn't be such a big deal to pay a $100 change flight fee since I was paying so much for the surgery to begin with. So I contacted them and told them that I wanted to cancel - enough is enough. I said that they had lost my trust. I sent a certified letter requesting a return signature - to this day I haven't received anything from them. AND they have ALL my money - I was/am fully paid. I contacted the lending company and told them of my problem and they told me that they would handle it from here. They are working on getting my money back for me. I only hope this is the case. Since all this has happened I found out that there were no problems with my surgeon and that this company works people over all the time. I am so unbelievably angry - not only at them but at myself for not doing more research. Research that would have directed me to this site. But I only found this site AFTER I had everything already scheduled. Now that all of this has happened I am very blessed to have found this site. This site is the only thing that has kept me positive about my decision to have the surgery. IF I get my money back, I plan to go to the OCC. I am so frustrated right now and only hope I get it back. If anyone else has had a similar experience, please let me know.

OMG - bless your heart. We hear horror stories lots of times with financing, lap band bumps, etc. but nothing this bad. I am so sorry for everything you have went through. You did not mention the name of the center or surgeon that robbed you but I think you should. Who knows - there may be someone on here lurking that is planning on signing up with the same crew. Please keep us posted on your endeaver to get your money back. When you do, you will not go wrong by going with Dr. Ortiz and the OCC. There are plenty on this forum to back me up on that!

Good Gracious! So sorry to hear of your story and how sad you had to go through all of this when it should have been your joyous adventure.

I was banded at OCC on Oct 8 and I can sure vouch to what Misty said! They are one big huge teamwork of doctors, nurses, admin staff, drivers...all rolled lup in one! They interact with one another and it shows! They are very caring for your needs and take such good care of you during your stay there.

I hope you get your money back and as soon as you do, come on back and talk to us - we are here to support you too.

Take care and keep us posted!

Wow, let that be a lesson to others. I wouldn't pay the money in advance, no way, no how. I could justify the $500 deposit with the OCC and was happy to hand carry a bank draft for the remainder to be paid at the clinic at the time of the surgery. I can't imagine paying up front before being there in person.

I wish you all the best in the future and great success with your lapband journey from this point on. Everything happens for a reason in my book and I am sure everything will work out and you will love the experience you are going to have at the OCC!

Guest CaraMBA09
This is my first post - I've been coming to this site for some time now.....for information, inspiration and actually to make sure that I've made the right choice. My story is a hard fought one...I originally found a site online where I had arranged my lap band surgery in Tijuana, MX. That site is a complete hoax. I was scheduled to have my surgery last week - October 29. I had worked up the excitement - did my financing - scheduled my flight and time off from work. I had everything done then, lo and behold, the place emailed me and told me that they were having problems with my surgeon and I needed to reschedule with a new surgeon. All of my research had been on the first surgeon and I knew absolutely nothing about the new one. I tried to get more information and tried to speak to someone only to be left blowing in the wind. Finally, I received an email from them stating how sorry they were and to please be patient as they try to get new dates with the new surgeon. Well my patience had already run its course - no calls, no emails, nothing from them in the weeks leading up to this. They expected me to just change my flight, time off work, etc like it was a piece of cake. The guy actually stated in an email that it shouldn't be such a big deal to pay a $100 change flight fee since I was paying so much for the surgery to begin with. So I contacted them and told them that I wanted to cancel - enough is enough. I said that they had lost my trust. I sent a certified letter requesting a return signature - to this day I haven't received anything from them. AND they have ALL my money - I was/am fully paid. I contacted the lending company and told them of my problem and they told me that they would handle it from here. They are working on getting my money back for me. I only hope this is the case. Since all this has happened I found out that there were no problems with my surgeon and that this company works people over all the time. I am so unbelievably angry - not only at them but at myself for not doing more research. Research that would have directed me to this site. But I only found this site AFTER I had everything already scheduled. Now that all of this has happened I am very blessed to have found this site. This site is the only thing that has kept me positive about my decision to have the surgery. IF I get my money back, I plan to go to the OCC. I am so frustrated right now and only hope I get it back. If anyone else has had a similar experience, please let me know.

That is absolutely horrible. I was banded 9/15/08 and although I am very new, I have faith this will begin working eventually

Thanks for all of the support. I registered on OCC's website and I had a really wonderful talk with LoriBecky earlier today. She and I are moving towards arranging my 'new' bandday for sometime in January or February. This whole ordeal has been such an eye opener for me. I am not gullible in the least - since I was going to finance the whole procedure I didn't think anything of the process. Well.....I am learning the hard way. I have struggled with whether or not to submit the name of the website and now that I have encouragement, here goes....it was Mylapbandsurgery.com. My dealings were with someone by the name of Lori Mozer and Alan Coval. Well, come to find out - there is no such person by the name of Alan Coval - he is actually Dan Mozer, owner of mylapbandsurgery.com. He is making up names to make it seem like he has more people in his office than he actually does. What a nightmare! If things go as planned this week, the loan company should have my debt cleared. I will definitely keep you all posted.

On a different note - I love all of the information everyone posts on this site. This site is the only thing that has kept me motivated in my decision to have the lap band. I am ready to do this. I'm nervous but I'm ready!

Wow, that is aweful. I feel so bad for you. I know how I was prior to my surgery, nervous and excited and etc. I am glad you are working with Lori, she is very helpful. I know you will not be disappointed at OCC. They are wonderful. I wish you luck with everything.

Hi there and welcome!!

I am so sorry you had to ensure such stress while trying to make one of the most important decisions of your life. I certainly hope you can get your money back and arrange for surgery at the OCC or elsewhere.

We are here for support and to answer any of your questions...good luck, take care and please keep us advised as to how things are going for you!!

Actually, they were less expensive than OCC for the procedure when I looked at them. AND I DID look at them. But when I tried to get info on the doc...well I could not get any info. I asked questions about infection rates, slippage, and erosions, and they could not give me their stats. THEIR OWN STATS!!!! NOT EVEN BALLPARK!!! I knew then..before I put any money down that they were not for me.

It did not take much research for Dr. Ortiz to come up. and They were able to answer ALL myquestions. ALL OF THEM. I did not think the number of bands Dr. Ortiz said he did could be right. So, I called Inamed. It is accurate. He does train the other docs, he has done over 6,000 bands. EVERYTHING thy said checked out.

I was banded by Dr. Ortiz on June 19, 2008. Best choice I could have made. I hope you get your refund soon and you can get set up for your band.

Welcome to the group and I am so sorry to hear about your situation! If they get your money back then you are good to go because you will get nothing but first class treatment at OCC. And of course we are all here to answer any questions you have. Good luck and keep us up to date on what you find out!!

Wow, let that be a lesson to others. I wouldn't pay the money in advance, no way, no how. I could justify the $500 deposit with the OCC and was happy to hand carry a bank draft for the remainder to be paid at the clinic at the time of the surgery. I can't imagine paying up front before being there in person.

I wish you all the best in the future and great success with your lapband journey from this point on. Everything happens for a reason in my book and I am sure everything will work out and you will love the experience you are going to have at the OCC!

So sorry to hear that you were Bamboozeled! Well, now you will be in good hands! I hope that you can get your money back.....and get your lapband done soon. Good Luck