The low down of bread for bandsters

Taz

OK, I know everyone is very individualized on what they can eat post band... but I wanted to get a sense for what generally happens as it relates to breads.

I am not looking for carb highs.. but I want to know what my options are. I know breads can "gum up" and be hard to deal with. Is that the same thought for wraps? What about if bread is toasted? As I move onto the solid phase, I want to understand what "safe" methods exist to allow me to eat "wraps" or "sandwiches". And maybe toast the odd wrap to make a few tortilla chips to dip in freshly homemade salsa if I get those weird nacho cravings.

I have also seen mixed results with pasta and rice. With many recipes here using those, I am confused. I was told to avoid those by Dr. Miranda.

What gives? Is sushi right out if I chew the heck out of it.. being that its sticky rice? What about fluffy jasmine rice? Man I love that with ahi tuna.

Would love to hear people's experiences post-band with such foods. Are you eating breads? If so.. how is it prepared? How about pasta? Rice?

Thanks in advance to everyone who responds.

Taz

Oddly I can eat pasta without issue but I cannot eat bread or rice. I have had limited success with toast but it has to be late at night and I don't eat after seven so that's that gone as well. I eat WW wraps all the time but I admit I tire of them. Jazzy posted a recipe for her egg version of wraps but I haven't made them yet. Given that I cannot tolerate rice now I've even given up my California rolls. I couldn't do sushi with fish (ew) but I did love the veggie version dipped in chili sauce. My treat is popcorn which I have no problem with at all while other's can't tolerate it.

Jann

I'd also love to hear everyone's experience with this. I would love to eat tortilla wraps and things like that but i'm worried to. Also, for some reason i've been craving like mad an english muffin with jelly on it. Wierd I know but I guess 15 days of liquids will do that to you! <_<

Oddly I can eat pasta without issue but I cannot eat bread or rice. I have had limited success with toast but it has to be late at night and I don't eat after seven so that's that gone as well. I eat WW wraps all the time but I admit I tire of them. Jazzy posted a recipe for her egg version of wraps but I haven't made them yet. Given that I cannot tolerate rice now I've even given up my California rolls. I couldn't do sushi with fish (ew) but I did love the veggie version dipped in chili sauce. My treat is popcorn which I have no problem with at all while other's can't tolerate it.

Jann

I bought some WW wraps for tomorrow night. My first solid meal is going to be a pizza using a wrap as the crust (ultra thin crust :) , replaced with fresh salsa instead of pizza sauce. Hope I don't tire of it ;-)

Never even thought about popcorn. Thanks for the reminder. Might be something to try for a treat.

Taz

I'd also love to hear everyone's experience with this. I would love to eat tortilla wraps and things like that but i'm worried to. Also, for some reason i've been craving like mad an english muffin with jelly on it. Wierd I know but I guess 15 days of liquids will do that to you! <_<

15 days? I was on a liquid diet 14 days before the surgery, and now 21 days after. A man can only take so much soup :-)

Actually, my biggest cravings have been cheese + apple, and chilli. Not sure why. Guess what I am having for lunch tomorrow?

Taz

Hi Taz, I am fine with toasted breads and potatoes..rice tends to stick a bit..but if you chew well and eat slow, it should be okay.

Everyone is different and it's trial and error to see what works and what doesn't.

Good Luck and enjoy!!!

That's good to hear. I wouldn't mind having a piece of toast with peanut butter. Kinda worried about it sticking... so not sure how I want to approach that. The horrors I hear about gumming up, I want to be careful in my approach.

Taz

My main problem has been with doughy breads which I consider a good thing, since I don't need to be eating them anyway. I do not have a problem with tortillas, corn tortillas go down easier than flour, but you have to take teeny bites and chew very well once you had a good fill. I can manage to eat 1 small fajita with a corn tortilla at a sitting. I usually have beans and a little rice too and haven't had a problem with rice.

I also don't have a problem with pasta, but try to stay away from it since it isn't good for me. I do have a 5-year old who's favorite things to eat are mac-n-cheese and spaghetti, so I take a couple of bites sometimes and I'm satisfied.

You will find that everyone is different though and some of us can tolerate things that others cannot. I haven't tried popcorn yet, because the kernels scare me, but I may try a little soon to see what happens.

Good luck in your journey...it's kinda fun finding out what works and what doesn't. This is really a continuous learning experience!

Denise

That's good to hear. I wouldn't mind having a piece of toast with peanut butter. Kinda worried about it sticking... so not sure how I want to approach that. The horrors I hear about gumming up, I want to be careful in my approach.

Taz

I used to eat toasted mulit-grain bread with peanut butter all the time, but since my third fill, I don't want to risk it. Small bites and eat slow.

I have been eating solids one week tomorrow! WOOT WOOT!

I can not do white bread! I was craving a burger, so I went to McDonalds and got the kiddie burger and took a tiny bite to see what would happen. POW!! :o I felt like I was going to explode. I immediately, threw the bread in the sack! It just makes you NOT WANT IT! :D So, I ate the meat and cheese and was totally satisfied. :) I can eat a tortilla (flour) if it is super tiny bites, smaller than usual. I can eat wheat bread that is toasted with no problem, but I just have a half a slice per sitting.

All of this may change once I have a fill!!!

Guest CaraMBA09
15 days? I was on a liquid diet 14 days before the surgery, and now 21 days after. A man can only take so much soup :-)

Actually, my biggest cravings have been cheese + apple, and chilli. Not sure why. Guess what I am having for lunch tomorrow?

Taz

Hey Taz

here is my list as I have official HARD CORE restriction with my second fill:

No potatos (french fries, baked or mashed) it literally gums up my band - ew, the sliming and pb was so bad I had to go on liquids for a day

No bread...nasty sliming mess

NO pasta - OMG...I took one, just one rigatoni and chewed like crazy...bleck...I slimed it back up

NO cheese - this is the nectar of the gods...just not the nectar of Cara for the next 80 lbs of weight loss...it is literally like glue

NO pizza - eat the toppings ONLY (and I am NOT kidding)

NO crackers or Cup o' Noodles - once again...glue

No Rice - for me that means sticky, jasmine AND brown. The brown got stuck worse than chicken.

White Meat chicken - so incredibly painful - stick to dark meat

Steak or "red" meat - call the drano man...trust me, he won't help you fast enough to get unclogged

prawns - Too fibrous

SO, you ask "what the - H - CAN I eat?

well, dark meat chicken, fish and chips (NO chips or fries) with lots of tartar sauce and malt vinegar, any soft fish, salads, mushrooms, onions, most vegetables, yogurt, protein shakes with extra whey powder for the protein punch, sorbet, soup, clam chowder after taking a hand blender and beating it up (actually, quite good)

caio

c

Hey Taz

here is my list as I have official HARD CORE restriction with my second fill:

No potatos (french fries, baked or mashed) it literally gums up my band - ew, the sliming and pb was so bad I had to go on liquids for a day

No bread...nasty sliming mess

NO pasta - OMG...I took one, just one rigatoni and chewed like crazy...bleck...I slimed it back up

NO cheese - this is the nectar of the gods...just not the nectar of Cara for the next 80 lbs of weight loss...it is literally like glue

NO pizza - eat the toppings ONLY (and I am NOT kidding)

NO crackers or Cup o' Noodles - once again...glue

No Rice - for me that means sticky, jasmine AND brown. The brown got stuck worse than chicken.

White Meat chicken - so incredibly painful - stick to dark meat

Steak or "red" meat - call the drano man...trust me, he won't help you fast enough to get unclogged

prawns - Too fibrous

SO, you ask "what the - H - CAN I eat?

well, dark meat chicken, fish and chips (NO chips or fries) with lots of tartar sauce and malt vinegar, any soft fish, salads, mushrooms, onions, most vegetables, yogurt, protein shakes with extra whey powder for the protein punch, sorbet, soup, clam chowder after taking a hand blender and beating it up (actually, quite good)

caio

c

Thank you so much for sharing Cara. I started on solids recently, and it seems I don't have a lot of restriction. I can eat breads and pasta right now. I am sure this is going to change after my fill... so I am trying to limit it right now so I don't get "used" to it. Sounds like you got a good restriction. Appreciate that you listed what you CAN eat.

Taz

Just to clarify....do many of you have problems with bread even before your first fill? I was under the impression that these issues didn't come up until then. Actually, if that is the case i'm kind of glad because I don't want to go back to eating that stuff and then have to wean off it again.

Went to the store last night and I think my first meal will be some egg beaters and a piece of canadian bacon. I really want an english muffin too, but i'm afraid to eat that first meal then go to work so i'm being careful. Might try an english muffin in the evening sometime just in case so i'm at home and can suffer alone! :mellow:

Just to clarify....do many of you have problems with bread even before your first fill? I was under the impression that these issues didn't come up until then. Actually, if that is the case i'm kind of glad because I don't want to go back to eating that stuff and then have to wean off it again.

Went to the store last night and I think my first meal will be some egg beaters and a piece of canadian bacon. I really want an english muffin too, but i'm afraid to eat that first meal then go to work so i'm being careful. Might try an english muffin in the evening sometime just in case so i'm at home and can suffer alone! :mellow:

Right now I am having NO troubles with any breads. Although I am being VERY careful not to eat to much of it. Only the occassional bread or bun. Before your first fill, many people have little restriction. I am in that catagory, not feeling any restriction unless I eat fast... in which case I feel a weird feeling in the upper part of my stomach.

YMMV of course.

Taz

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys!

I was reading through this thread and found it very informative, great info Cara!. I would love to know if the ones that were coming up on their "first meal" how it went and what did they eat, I think Shelby was one of them. My 21 days is Friday and I have two parties, one at work and one after to go to. Just want to be careful being I am going to be around alot of people.

Thanks,

Carrie

Hi all

Everyone is so different .

I try not to eat pasta and rice

I DO not eat bread. Too painful. My husband can eat anything

I have smaller portions of dinner and

Nachos/ popcorn as a treat.

My first solid food was salmon and some veg.

My first meal after being banded was fish sauteed in diced tomatoes.

I cannot eat bread/rolls/croissants/muffins/pancakes/waffles... absolutely no way.

I cannot eat rice.. maybe 1 bite but really I stay away from it.

I cannot eat pasta.. oh god it is awful for me.

I cannot eat hashbrowns/ french fries/.. I will "occasinally" soy milk make some runny instant potatoes to get my fix.

I cannot eat shrimp.. WAAAH.. I love shrimp and have tried it several times.. always with the same result.. me throwing up and swearing I will never do it again.. wayy to fibrous.. does not break down for me.

I CAN eat whole wheat cous-cous in small portions

I CAN eat crackers.. omg have you tried the french onion wheat thins.. they are soo good but give you BAD breath!

I CAN eat corn tortilla chips .. just a few.

I CAN eat corn tortillas.. I use 1 for a fish taco.. it's delish and one is more than enough/filling

I CAN eat popcorn.. probably my biggest weakness. I go through stages.

I CAN eat cheese.. oh yes.. give me a ounce or 2 of sharp cheddar and some cashews or almonds and I'm a happy camper

I love reading what people can and cannot eat.. soo interesting and varies person to person.

• 1 month later...
Hey guys!

I was reading through this thread and found it very informative, great info Cara!. I would love to know if the ones that were coming up on their "first meal" how it went and what did they eat, I think Shelby was one of them. My 21 days is Friday and I have two parties, one at work and one after to go to. Just want to be careful being I am going to be around alot of people.

Thanks,

Carrie

I am 3.5 weeks post op and the only bread I can tolerate is delicious corn bread and croissant and this is occasionally.

I crave tuna on croissant and it is a rare treat to have this upon occasion for lunch.

My only issue has been when the food, salmon, tuna, is too dry so I add tomato and onion salad or crimini mushrooms and cannot eat just fish first, it must have some liquid too......in order to swallow and stay down.

I also make chai tea and mix with low fat soy milk and one splenda which is quite delicious and provides protein too.

My first fill is Feb 3.

Good Luck on your Journey.

Labella

Wow this thread was informative. I am already so picky on what i will eat (no pasta/sauces/meats/seafood) that i told Dr. Ortiz I was scared the few things I do eat would be the things I cannot tolerate after banding and he told me VERY confidently that I should be able to eat EVERYTHING i ate before banding , just less of it and if I couldnt eat certain things, I was too tight. He told me the band is not about being on a diet for the rest of your life, that diets were unnatural and I would never see a dog or a tree on a diet - the band was about controlling the amount of food we eat.

I am still on liquids but cheeses, breads, and potatoes are a staple in my diet of what i actually will eat - so this worries me some.

I have a co-worker whose husband was banded 15 months ago and he can eat everything except stringy meats (roasts) and really soft breads like crossiants. Everything else he is fine with. I am hoping I am that lucky.

I want to lead a normal life and be able to eat just about anything - I just need help with the portion control which is what the band is suppose to do!

Jan 29 I guess I will find out - when I am able to eat!!! i am looking forward to it! :)

Wow this thread was informative. I am already so picky on what i will eat (no pasta/sauces/meats/seafood) that i told Dr. Ortiz I was scared the few things I do eat would be the things I cannot tolerate after banding and he told me VERY confidently that I should be able to eat EVERYTHING i ate before banding , just less of it and if I couldnt eat certain things, I was too tight. He told me the band is not about being on a diet for the rest of your life, that diets were unnatural and I would never see a dog or a tree on a diet - the band was about controlling the amount of food we eat.

I am still on liquids but cheeses, breads, and potatoes are a staple in my diet of what i actually will eat - so this worries me some.

I have a co-worker whose husband was banded 15 months ago and he can eat everything except stringy meats (roasts) and really soft breads like crossiants. Everything else he is fine with. I am hoping I am that lucky.

I want to lead a normal life and be able to eat just about anything - I just need help with the portion control which is what the band is suppose to do!

Jan 29 I guess I will find out - when I am able to eat!!! i am looking forward to it! :)

Christy,

You will find what foods work for you and you will be surprised. There are not many foods in my "no no" list.