Off topic - Dog from hell

stormy

Ok so me and my smart ideas. I got this dog. I bought him to have him trained to be a buddy for my autistic son and they are. He loves him but here is my delemma. He is driving me insane. He is about 8 months old now and he, I swear is the devil. He dont listen. He nips at my ankles, gets in the way when I walk. Eats everything in site, including the toilet paper. He had now decided since it is raining that he will take a crap whereever he likes, which he is now going to be kennelled while I am at work, cause we are not having that! He jumps on me and my son when we get home, we can't even get in the door. He jumps on everyone. He is a purebred golden retreiver. My husband promised to take him to puppy training. I guess I am going to have to figure a way to do it myself cause it still has not happened. This dog needs to be under control. DOG WHISPERER COME HELP ME. I know he needs more activity then what he is getting. I feel bad. Maybe I should sell him. I feel bad that sometimes I can't stand him. The vet sent me a letter that it is time to get him fixed. Maybe that will help. I have never seen a dog with such disrespect. I yell at him, I pull on him. I beg him to stop biting at my ankles but he does not listen. Now he is beating up my other dog and she is old and she is just a weiner dog. I feel bad for her. He has got to get under control. I dont know what to do. What should I do? I took on this responsibiltity am I over my head? Does anyone have one of these dogs?

Hi Stormy, I grew up with a Purebred Golden Retriever and he was high strung.

I know it's hard to manage a large dog, especially when they are difficult to control...I would suggest you take him/her to a dog trainer and see if they might be able to help with some obedience training..especially before you consider giving him/her up.

Good luck!!

:mellow: golden retrievers are high strung dogs,..they are working dogs and need a lot of exercise..if they are givent he proper exercise they are one of the best dogs for a family dog...i would get him fixed and then exercise him...they love the water and to play fetch!! I know this because we used to show our goldens and had to put them into agility to get some of the hyperness out of them before showing t hem.

:mellow: golden retrievers are high strung dogs,..they are working dogs and need a lot of exercise..if they are givent he proper exercise they are one of the best dogs for a family dog...i would get him fixed and then exercise him...they love the water and to play fetch!! I know this because we used to show our goldens and had to put them into agility to get some of the hyperness out of them before showing t hem.

I played fetch with him last night, he loved it. He is so good at it too. I will call the dr to make the appt. Something has got to help. Everyone thanks for responding

The dog whisperer always for a dog this is the order to do things...Exercise, discipline, affection. This dog must be exercised daily, he must be walked daily at least one 30 minute walk if not 2!! The poor thing is going crazy because you are not properly training him and doing the things you should do as a responsible pet owner to socialize him. Puppies are very hard, that's why I did not choose to get one when I got my 2nd dog a few weeks ago. Kim I don't mean to sound harsh but if you don't have the time and dedication to take care of this dog properly he deserves a home that will. Think hard and fast. Fixing him won't magically change how he responds to you. You have not shown pack leader qualities or he would not be doing the things you described. If you are serious about this you can change his behavior fairly quickly. So please for the dog's sake do some soul searching and either commit to his needs or let him go. Better now than in another year or 2. He still has a chance to learn how to obey and he will but you have to work with him DAILLY on this. Sorry for the tough love but I am an animal advocate always.

The dog whisperer always for a dog this is the order to do things...Exercise, discipline, affection. This dog must be exercised daily, he must be walked daily at least one 30 minute walk if not 2!! The poor thing is going crazy because you are not properly training him and doing the things you should do as a responsible pet owner to socialize him. Puppies are very hard, that's why I did not choose to get one when I got my 2nd dog a few weeks ago. Kim I don't mean to sound harsh but if you don't have the time and dedication to take care of this dog properly he deserves a home that will. Think hard and fast. Fixing him won't magically change how he responds to you. You have not shown pack leader qualities or he would not be doing the things you described. If you are serious about this you can change his behavior fairly quickly. So please for the dog's sake do some soul searching and either commit to his needs or let him go. Better now than in another year or 2. He still has a chance to learn how to obey and he will but you have to work with him DAILLY on this. Sorry for the tough love but I am an animal advocate always.

I couldn't agree with Julie more. I own a dog grooming salon and see a lot of dogs. It's always frustrating to hear clients complain about "the dog". When I pose the questions "have you taken him/her to obedience" or "have you considered using a dog walker" 99.99% of the time the response is "no". It would be like having a child and NEVER teaching toilet training, manners, reading, writing... social skills in general and expecting a southern belle . The pets have to learn in a language THEY understand. Too often, the behavior that was considered cute at 3-4 months doesn't fare well once the dog is full grown. Again, Julie is spot on, if you are unable or unwilling to provide the time and energy to this pet it's best to rehome him while he/she is still young. Like children, they are completely at our mercy and their well being should come first. Spending his/her life cooped up in a kennel is really no life...it could possibly make things worse.

I truly hope things work out for all involved. There are many rescue groups for Goldens, googling Goden Retriever Rescue should provide many leads if needed.

Best Wishes,

Michelle

I have to agree with Julie and Michelle, getting a pet, dog or cat is a committment and you have to do whatever you can do to make the situation work for both you and your family and your pet.

Call a local dog trainer or obedience school and get some help...you will be so happy you did and will have a loving dog for life!!

I think the hard part is it was suppose to be a shared responsiblity and it has turned out to be my responsibility. Just like having my son has. I feel like we moms have to do it all. Hubby said he would be the main person to train and walk, that is not so. So here I am, I will have to do it myself. It is not that I dont want to, it is finding a way to do it, I am not sure my son will tollorate going to a dog class, but I guess I wont know until I try. I have put some calls in tonight. I hope to hear back by tomorrow. The dog is a real cutie, its just right now he is a pain in the butt. We are getting new carpet and I dont want him to wreck it. I will be watching him like a hawk. I taught him to go outside, I dont know why he is reverting to go back in the house. I will work on that. I dont want to give up yet. I know he is a real loving dog and my son loves him. I know he is going to be my responsibility, I just didnt think I would be doing it alone. Thanks for your advise.

Stormy, We should have talked more this weekend. I too have a Golden Retriever who is 7 mos. old right now, but a girl. I have had several of these wonderful animals and this one is a challenge. Your dog is still a puppy! You are going through a puppy stage (like a teen-ager). I came home today and found my "baby" had eaten part of my couch! My fault, she wasn't in her kennel. Goldens are not "high strung" and are generally great family oriented dogs, however they don't get that way overnight and it takes a lot of training. The nipping at the ankles I think is because she sees you more as a playmate and not an alpha figure in her pack. She really needs to get into some training and I would advise you to be the one responsible for the training. I wouldn't wait very long to do it though as it is much more difficult to get a 100 pound dog under control than a smaller one. Retrievers are working animals and need to be stimulated mentally by training or playing games with him. I think the regression in the potty training is very common in the Northwest. Just keep at it and keep letting him outside to "do the business" even if you have to do it on the leash. Mine does the same thing with my little pomeranian.....but that also is just because she is a puppy and wants to play all the time. Sometimes I sit with her in the house with her leash on so she can't bother the other dog or the cats.....they do outgrow this eventually. Hang in there! Hope this helps some. Let me know if you have any questions that are specific.

Donna

Guest CaraMBA09
Ok so me and my smart ideas. I got this dog. I bought him to have him trained to be a buddy for my autistic son and they are. He loves him but here is my delemma. He is driving me insane. He is about 8 months old now and he, I swear is the devil. He dont listen. He nips at my ankles, gets in the way when I walk. Eats everything in site, including the toilet paper. He had now decided since it is raining that he will take a crap whereever he likes, which he is now going to be kennelled while I am at work, cause we are not having that! He jumps on me and my son when we get home, we can't even get in the door. He jumps on everyone. He is a purebred golden retreiver. My husband promised to take him to puppy training. I guess I am going to have to figure a way to do it myself cause it still has not happened. This dog needs to be under control. DOG WHISPERER COME HELP ME. I know he needs more activity then what he is getting. I feel bad. Maybe I should sell him. I feel bad that sometimes I can't stand him. The vet sent me a letter that it is time to get him fixed. Maybe that will help. I have never seen a dog with such disrespect. I yell at him, I pull on him. I beg him to stop biting at my ankles but he does not listen. Now he is beating up my other dog and she is old and she is just a weiner dog. I feel bad for her. He has got to get under control. I dont know what to do. What should I do? I took on this responsibiltity am I over my head? Does anyone have one of these dogs?

Stormy

My family bred, raised and showed golden retrievers from 1962 to 1984

There is definately a difference in temperament between the males and the females and between the American version and European version of Golden's

First of all, he needs to be crate trained...period...end of story, all dogs should be. Invest in a crate, go on Craigslist to find one inexpensively...new the big ones are about $60-80. Dogs are pack animals and need a place where they can go and hang out. It is also the best way to teach them potty manners. Dogs are not supposed to crap in their crate as it is their home away from home. If a dog does crap in their crate, you have a mental dog...most little dogs do that sort of thing.

Secondly, he needs obediance training immediately. Formal training is very expensive and averages $150-200 per week.

There is no reason why your husband cannot get him into an informal/formal training through petsmart, it will cost about $100 for 6 weeks and will be good training for both the dog AND Charlie!

Lastly, get those bad boys cut immediately. He is getting to the point where too much testosterone is making him an asshole, taking away his testicles will cool him down immediately.

And my last piece of advice. I just sold my husbands Chocolate Lab in August after trying for 15 months to get her to calm down. $800 and 6 weeks of professional training (yea, friggin really)..She ate the siding of our house, created world war II size holes in an immaculate backyard, ripped my wisteria tree to shreds ($500 tree destroyed), ate my husbands lilac tree, barked constantly and burned out 3 bark collars and tore through an actual muzzle...I could go on and on. There are some dogs that will NEVER get it and are quite possiby mentally retarded, if you need to get rid of the dog because of the chaos he brings into your life, then that is your choice and nothing any bleeding heart can talk you out of.

Good luck!

You need dog training now! If you aren't able to get it right now, then you need to find another home for the puppy. It isn't fair to him to have you 'not like him' because of it. Your yelling at him may escalate to hitting if he keeps making you mad. And that isn't fair either - for him simply being a puppy. And it isn't fair to your other dog.

Sorry to sound so harsh, but you know me, I'm the ultimate animal advocate!

I wish I knew as much about dogs as I do about cats, because then I might have some tips for you, but I don't. Sorry!

He is now being crate trained as he decided to eat my sons mattress. He seems to like it. Didnt cry or anything. I come home for lunch and let him out and he actually went potty outside on command. Well it is a start. Sunday is a day we will be going for a walk, we will see how he does. We played ball last night, he is very good at it, brings it back every time. He is not stupid, I dont think, he just wants to drive me insane. I hear that sometimes getting a tredmill is good, you can get them on it to get off some energy, the dog whisperer had that on there, it was cool. We have a pool but we tried to get him in it when it was warm and he said no way. What a weenie. Maybe next year. I am going to make his appt to get him fixed. Who knows maybe hubby start taking him out after that, he'll feel bad for him, HAHAHAH Kidding

Thanks for all the info