SO WHY AM I SO SAD

I am getting banded in a week with my husband. Don't get me wrong i am very excited and scared. Reading peoples blogs i have come to the conclusion that we all feel about the same when we are this close to the procedure. This site has gotten me through the education, pre-diet, transportation , what to expect and what is the hotel like? I would like to thank all of you that were honest and up front.

The thing is, that although i am having the procedure with my husband i still feel a sense of being alone. Most of my family and friends do not support me and those who do question the decision about doing it in TJ. I told everyone that if they could find something seriously wrong with what i am doing then i would not go. This was over 4 weeks ago and i am still scheduled. So here i am with no one... Now it is hard to believe that i currently work in a career that spends 100% of my time helping out of people to believe in themselves and of of course the power of therapy ( with out that no job) This only makes me feel worse since i cannot preform therapy on myself. My therapist talked me into going this forum to help with the mixed feeling i have. I waited and watched this forum and then was the time was right and i felt as it i was a part of a group i responded. Nothing. I even wrote in the Nov fills and surgeries hoping to find someone that will be there during the time i am. Nothing. if you notice i am the last entry.... Still alone. I am not asking for anyone to reply, really i do not need it .... WHAT THE HELL , WHO AM I KIDDING. I NEED YOUR SUPPORT!!!!!! In my world no one wants to talk about it and if they do it starts with " are you excited and ends with you could DIE" My doctor said "you could get a infection in that country." My friends " have you seen the news you could be killed or kidnapped. with that one comes my answer of ahhhha! big woman do not get kidnapped. My other friends questioned why i was not going to stay in Nevada and pay 8-10,000 more to be safe. I questioned her logic, she has not even looked at the web site talked to other people or forget that Mexico does have running water and also bathrooms, but she felt she was right. For me to have the procedure in Nevada comes a lot more than the total cost of surgery. My insurance would not pay because they questioned how long i had a weight problem and my BMI may not fit into their category, The other is that since my medication cost over $5000 and without the insurance, i would never be able to afford this. So what are my options? gain more weight to meet the BMI, fight the insurance company over why i think i am fat and they do not. But if everyone must know

the truth is that i did not choose TJ this was my husband, who i must say i thought was flipping nuts at first. I said he was crazy and he said that he was going with or without me. He was tired of being fat and wanted to change his life. I spent many weeks doing my homework I did not want my husband to die in mexico at a quack doctor. However, I could not find anything neg/ with it. After all that researching even me with all my medical issues i felt safe and secure in my decision, i know this seems funny but this is my chance and i want to take it. I am not worried about the procedure one bit, what i am worried about is entering this surgery alone. Yes i know i did not forget about the husband( some women would agree it is still alone ) I mean without the great support that i see that others have in this forum. Everyday i see " Good Luck" WTG, call me selfish but i want that too. I know what some of you are thinking ( u did not apply yourself enough you only posted two times and it works both ways." Yes this is true, but the way i am feeling it is just getting plumb worse. I am sorry if this offends anyone, This was only to get someone to say GOOD LUCK, WTG and I know how you feel!. I know that i am rambling and making a fool out of myself ( maybe) or maybe others feels just a little of what i am feeling now and they are too afraid to post. Me too! My friends and family have all but stopped calling and my husband says it does not matter, but to me it does. After re-reading this post suddenly feel somewhat better,,,, Last night I dreamed that i was screaming and no words came out. It was at this moment that i realized that although the posts were not directed to me they gave me strength to use my voice. That the WTG and Good Luck, i must believe were somehow directed to everyone. Just at this very moment i realized that all the people that i have read about in this forum have given me strength to do this entry without even Knowing it. For that i say Thanks .......

If I can offer my two cents. I was banded two weeks ago. I told only three friends and made it very clear that I wanted their support, not judgment. You will be blown away by how great it is in MX. The facility is sparkling and immaculate. The doctors and staff are superb and kind and genuine. The hotel is wonderful. I went down there by myself. My choice. Did the whole thing myself. I would not have it any other way. If you forgive me saying this, it sounds like the negative comments are coming from ignorance. You've made great strides in finding out for yourself what the band is all about. I am here to tell you (as are all the others on this forum) that you have absolutely nothing to fear about the procedure, recovery and TJ. You will see for yourself. You are embarking on a fantastic journey. You will love it!

WTG!!!!!!

I am getting banded in a week with my husband. Don't get me wrong i am very excited and scared. Reading peoples blogs i have come to the conclusion that we all feel about the same when we are this close to the procedure. This site has gotten me through the education, pre-diet, transportation , what to expect and what is the hotel like? I would like to thank all of you that were honest and up front.

The thing is, that although i am having the procedure with my husband i still feel a sense of being alone. Most of my family and friends do not support me and those who do question the decision about doing it in TJ. I told everyone that if they could find something seriously wrong with what i am doing then i would not go. This was over 4 weeks ago and i am still scheduled. So here i am with no one... Now it is hard to believe that i currently work in a career that spends 100% of my time helping out of people to believe in themselves and of of course the power of therapy ( with out that no job) This only makes me feel worse since i cannot preform therapy on myself. My therapist talked me into going this forum to help with the mixed feeling i have. I waited and watched this forum and then was the time was right and i felt as it i was a part of a group i responded. Nothing. I even wrote in the Nov fills and surgeries hoping to find someone that will be there during the time i am. Nothing. if you notice i am the last entry.... Still alone. I am not asking for anyone to reply, really i do not need it .... WHAT THE HELL , WHO AM I KIDDING. I NEED YOUR SUPPORT!!!!!! In my world no one wants to talk about it and if they do it starts with " are you excited and ends with you could DIE" My doctor said "you could get a infection in that country." My friends " have you seen the news you could be killed or kidnapped. with that one comes my answer of ahhhha! big woman do not get kidnapped. My other friends questioned why i was not going to stay in Nevada and pay 8-10,000 more to be safe. I questioned her logic, she has not even looked at the web site talked to other people or forget that Mexico does have running water and also bathrooms, but she felt she was right. For me to have the procedure in Nevada comes a lot more than the total cost of surgery. My insurance would not pay because they questioned how long i had a weight problem and my BMI may not fit into their category, The other is that since my medication cost over $5000 and without the insurance, i would never be able to afford this. So what are my options? gain more weight to meet the BMI, fight the insurance company over why i think i am fat and they do not. But if everyone must know

the truth is that i did not choose TJ this was my husband, who i must say i thought was flipping nuts at first. I said he was crazy and he said that he was going with or without me. He was tired of being fat and wanted to change his life. I spent many weeks doing my homework I did not want my husband to die in mexico at a quack doctor. However, I could not find anything neg/ with it. After all that researching even me with all my medical issues i felt safe and secure in my decision, i know this seems funny but this is my chance and i want to take it. I am not worried about the procedure one bit, what i am worried about is entering this surgery alone. Yes i know i did not forget about the husband( some women would agree it is still alone ) I mean without the great support that i see that others have in this forum. Everyday i see " Good Luck" WTG, call me selfish but i want that too. I know what some of you are thinking ( u did not apply yourself enough you only posted two times and it works both ways." Yes this is true, but the way i am feeling it is just getting plumb worse. I am sorry if this offends anyone, This was only to get someone to say GOOD LUCK, WTG and I know how you feel!. I know that i am rambling and making a fool out of myself ( maybe) or maybe others feels just a little of what i am feeling now and they are too afraid to post. Me too! My friends and family have all but stopped calling and my husband says it does not matter, but to me it does. After re-reading this post suddenly feel somewhat better,,,, Last night I dreamed that i was screaming and no words came out. It was at this moment that i realized that although the posts were not directed to me they gave me strength to use my voice. That the WTG and Good Luck, i must believe were somehow directed to everyone. Just at this very moment i realized that all the people that i have read about in this forum have given me strength to do this entry without even Knowing it. For that i say Thanks .......

Wow! That's a pretty powerful post. You certainly aren't alone and you must see that from spending time on this forum. We've all gone through the same process in banding whether it's the beginning days, "OMG, am I doing the right thing in the right place?" the early days, "OMG what have I done?" all the way through to the learning part of the process where you just know it was the right thing to do and the right way to do it.

It's so sad that you feel so alone. Don't be so hard on yourself. We're here, we'll listen and/or advise. Just take a deep breath and from me to you WTG on your decision and WTG on the bravery and honesty of your post. Feel free to ask questions, jump into threads, start new threads and be a part of the community. That is, after all, what it is here for!

Welcome Shanalee! Know that you are never alone!

Jann

Like I said, I am two weeks post-op and I did catch myself thinking "Did I do the right thing?" I'm going on what I'm learning on this forum and the success stories and strategies. I answered my own question with, "Yes, you did. You'll see."

First off, please know that you are NOT alone! Everyone in this group is very supportive and here for each other. To be real honest, I never look in the "month" surgery forums. I did in Oct when I was banded and that was it. I unfortunately wasn't able to "bond" with my bandmates like everyone else b/c it was decided at the last minute that they would put me through a day early, so I didn't get to meet everyone as much as the others did. I got to meet some great gals in the car on the way home, but that was about it. But I still feel like I have these wonderful men and women that I've never met, but we have been through the same thing and that is very comforting. It took me a bit to really feel a part of the group, but it will come I promise! You just have to keep posting and let yourself go a bit.

Although I do have friends that are somewhat supportive, I am on my own on this one. I basically live alone and I work about 60 hours a week so this is a struggle I must manage day to day alone so that is why you find me in here a lot. And I hope down the road i'll be able to be of assistance to others. I had a woman find me on myspace and ask me if she could add me and get advice and of course I jumped on it! Anything I could do to help someone else through the process. I think doing this with your hubby will be more than you realize. I have nothing to back that, but perhaps Stormy or others can add to that who have. And for the friends that talk like that - they are either ignorant, jealous, or trying to be a friend but doing it in the wrong way. So just let them be and focus on YOU!

It is very natural to have a wide range of emotions before hand. I know it sounds wierd, but I went through kind of a mourning process thinking about all the things I felt I would miss out on. Those Thanksgivings where we just gorge ourselves silly, going out to eat and pigging out with my friends, even when I drive past McDonalds I get this wierd feeling that i'm missing out. But you know it really hasn't been that bad. I went to BK today and all I got was a cheeseburger and sm fries and didn't even finish it and that felt so GREAT! Heck, I used to get the 2 cheeseburger and 2 fries deal and still want more. Maybe that is why I have a 10cc band! :o

I find it interesting how many of us in here are either in helping professions or our lives revolve so much around others, yet we don't practice what we preach and take care of ourselves too. I joke that I have hundreds of children (work at a university) and I work so much with them on life balance, time management, etc... but I am about the worst example of it. So now i'm taking some baby steps to work towards that.

OK, sorry i'm rambling now. But please know we are all in this together - the good, bad and ugly! So please don't let your range of emotions get the best of you. We have ALL been through it in different ways I promise. And we will continue to have more I promise!

Take care and good luck!!

You have no idea on how great you are. It took me two hours to type and get up the nerve to post and i waited..... It seemed like hours, but was only mear seconds for some one to reply. Maybe i am so happy that my computer is not broken or maybe it is because i do not feel so alone right now. I am not worried about MX and feel that the posts people have been writing in this forum have given me a clear understanding of what to expect. I was worried that my post would remain unanswered.... Alone.... GOD i know it sounds silly and childish, but it is valid and very much a feeling i have.

Over the last four weeks i have fought and defended to family, friends and doctors about my choices. Although i feel that in this emotional game there are really no winners, in the long run i have lost relationships and professional trust. How can people be so harsh and ignorant. I guess i had a lot to learn. My mind wonders to the things family and friends wanted most, that no matter what i felt about their choices was there for them. Maybe this is the time in my life that i must grow up. That my life is not all disney and sometimes this is not the happiest place on earth... Maybe i over analyze everything because of my career? Or maybe i am just a little down right now that that i need to remember that this journey is not just about losing weight.

Thank you so much for caring enough to reply,,, I am feeling a little bit taller today.

Shana-Lee

It's perfectly normal to have doubts and what ifs...when I finally booked my first consult, I ate everything insight, thinking it was the last time.

Honestly...a month or two from now, you will be telling us it was the best decision you and your hubby ever made...I guarantee it!!

If you are committed to the lifestyle change and getting healthy...you will do great!!!

Take care and best of luck!!!

Shana,

You are NEVER, ever alone as long as you are on this forum!!! I am coming up on my 1 year Bandaversary and have never looked back or regretted anything that I have done. I have met many wonderful people through this forum and will continue posting and cheering those that have made the decision to join us. Everyone has their opinions and fears of things that they know absolutely nothing about, you can't change that, but Dr. Ortiz is the best and you are in very good hands....don't lose sight of that! I have never been treated with so much respect and compassion as I have with my surgery in Mexico. It was a wonderful experience that I will never forget. Good luck to you and your hubby and RELAX!

Donna

As i sit and read the great post that many have left..... I am crying not bad stuff but overwhelming joy, i have not cried like this in so lone it feels quite good!

I know what i am doing is not a bad thing and would not change my mind, I just felt more alone today than ever... My mind on this pre-op diet is playing tricks on me ugh.... I hope that some people like me believe in a higher power because i think my higher power was looking out for me today. I feel like baby, but i keep thinking to myself. SOMEONE CARES....... Your comments are overwhelming and so up lifting. I guess i knew that i would be grieving the loss of my drug ( food), but now i did not know that i would lose some long term relationships that i thought were close. I did not see this in the banding hand book...A the same time no one told me that the new friends i would meet would provide 10xs the support of my family, friends and medical professionals.

Thanks again for all the WTG's i feel blessed.

Shanalee

You have no idea on how great you are. It took me two hours to type and get up the nerve to post and i waited..... It seemed like hours, but was only mear seconds for some one to reply. Maybe i am so happy that my computer is not broken or maybe it is because i do not feel so alone right now. I am not worried about MX and feel that the posts people have been writing in this forum have given me a clear understanding of what to expect. I was worried that my post would remain unanswered.... Alone.... GOD i know it sounds silly and childish, but it is valid and very much a feeling i have.

Over the last four weeks i have fought and defended to family, friends and doctors about my choices. Although i feel that in this emotional game there are really no winners, in the long run i have lost relationships and professional trust. How can people be so harsh and ignorant. I guess i had a lot to learn. My mind wonders to the things family and friends wanted most, that no matter what i felt about their choices was there for them. Maybe this is the time in my life that i must grow up. That my life is not all disney and sometimes this is not the happiest place on earth... Maybe i over analyze everything because of my career? Or maybe i am just a little down right now that that i need to remember that this journey is not just about losing weight.

Thank you so much for caring enough to reply,,, I am feeling a little bit taller today.

Shana-Lee

To me your answer is simple. Stop defending. There's nothing to defend. You've made your decision. Repeat after me -- "After me you come first" -- put it to memory as it is your new personal mantra. This is a life changing decision and nothing or nobody should stand in your way. You will be a better person for the journey and as you shrink so shall you grow!

Jann

Shanalee - WELCOME!

So sorry you are still sad and know that you are NOT alone in this venture! I, was banded last month, Oct 8. I was to have the surgery on Oct 9 but was bumped up a day. My husband came with me for my support. I WAS alone when I had my surgery. I really felt alone because everyone talked about their "band buddy" and how they keep in touch, etc. BUT, I had/have loads of people on THIS forum beforehand and supported me and helped prepared me and got me ready to go for an amazing adventure of a lifetime!

I didn't know a sole there UNTIL after the surgery where there were a couple of other gals who had surgery there too, Mary Beth and BeBe, and we started talking and next thing I knew...I WASN'T alone! I smiled and while walking out my gas bubbles, I would visit them in their rooms and chatted and then went on my merrilyy way...then they came and visisted me. So, it's not a lonesome time...TRUST me, someone there will have the surgery at the same time as you and you will bond like so many of us. Now I find that I really have other 'bondship' bandsters who had their surgery a week earlier and a couple day s after my surgery. As time went by, then it was like the whole forum is my family!

WTG and deciding to keep going with your decision. WTG for posting this message for us to come to you to wish you GOOD LUCK! I am really looking forward to hear about YOUR surgery, as we all have something a little different than the others to share...some are funny ones! So please, be our friend and come to us on this forum and let us hear you! We are ALL here for all of us, both new and old bandsters. Ask...and remember, NO question is silly or stupid. It's the unknown we don't know about and who better to ask?...US on this forum!

NOW, a warning (smile), since you've posted this message, I guarantee you, YOU WILL NEVER BE ALONE AGAIN!

((HUGS to YOU!))...Jude =)))

EXCELLENT post Jann!

To me your answer is simple. Stop defending. There's nothing to defend. You've made your decision. Repeat after me -- "After me you come first" -- put it to memory as it is your new personal mantra. This is a life changing decision and nothing or nobody should stand in your way. You will be a better person for the journey and as you shrink so shall you grow! Jann

Shanalee...YOU are first and foremost! YOU are what you are fighting for. YOU are making the BEST decision of YOUR life! Don't ever regret this decision and don't ever let anyone tell you differently. No one can tell YOU what you need to or shouldn't do. YOU decide. If you have done your "homework" and browsed through these posts...you will KNOW that the majority of these bandsters are Tijuana bandsters and we are still here! Nothing bad or wrong has happened to us. YOU are not answerable to NO one except YOURSELF!

Believe in the band and be positive and motivate yourself for a complete successful goal for yourself. Isn't this exciting!!! I am so happy for you!!!

Shana-Lee,

I understand your feelings. I feel like I've been so depressed the past two weeks. I keep telling myself that it is because I'm sick, but I know that it's more than that. I'm having surgery on December 4. I'm leaving at 4 o'clock in the morning on December 3 to drive myself 1 - 1.5 hours to an airport in a different state. I'm making the trip on my own. And, flying back to drive myself home. I'm 33. Not married, but have the most adorable little puppy in the world. I have only shared my surgery decision with three people; two of my sisters and my supervisor at work. And, let me tell you... I am the youngest of 8 children --- I have a lot of family. I guess it is normal. For me, I have always been a "big girl." I have always felt left out. And, I guess it is scary going to a place that will accept me for who I am. And, I feel like I'm fitting in here at the forum. I've been judged all of my life. It's scary venturing out into the unknown. But the bottom line is, you need to do what is best for you. And, for your health. This forum has been a wealth of information for me.

Kristy

WELCOME Kristy!

You are not alone either and I congrats on your decision to go forward on YOUR decision. WTG! Wait until a year from now and SEE how your life is going to be! You will amaze yourself! You WILL be the talk of the town with your new figure and lifestyle you chose!!!

I don't know what I would have done without this forum because of the honest-to-goodness people here to support me while I am starting a new life with my band. It's awesome to hear testimonials of others and countless of suggestions to help aid you in your time of need. What works for one, may not work for you...BUT there are other options available.

Good Luck to you Shanalee and Kristy! Keep us posted

Jann is dead on it.

If I were Carolyn Hax, she'd tell you to tell your friends what you need:

"I need your support. Trust that I've done my homework. Trust that I'm doing what is right for me. Support me, please."

You're on a good path. You've made good decisions. We're all here to support you until your friends come around.

And they will.

Or they'll show colors you'd rather not see. Either way, you're the better for it.

Linda

Hi Shanalee!

Congrats on your decision! You are very lucky to have your hunny going with you! What a blessing that you can share this with your soul-mate.

I had my surgery last Friday - everything was a perfect 10! The Dr's, Staff, Hotel everything went perfect! I too got alot of raised eyebrows by my decision to go to TJ, but I was so desperate for change and I did not have the power within myself to make the change. Food became my drug after my only child, my son, 22years old passed away, he drowned with a friend at the beach. I self medicated. I finally reached the point to climb out of the hole I had dug for myself, It truly was the best decision I could have made. I finally feel like I have hope and a reason to live - may sound crazy that this surgery could been seen as such, but it was my life saver, to finally do something for ME!

I wish you all the best hun! Stay strong & stay focused on your decision, let NO_ONE stand in the way of climbing the mountain of Success. Take care! ;)

Lisa

Congratulation on your decision Shanalee! You are making the best decision ever, which I am sure you are already aware of. I think it is geat you and your hubby are doing it together. At least when you change your lifestyle, you will have someone there to change their's with you.

My fiance went with me to have my surgery. I was soo glad he was there, but he still eats the same and sometimes that bothers me, but I must remember, I made this decision for me! He has been very supportative which means alot to me.

I think all of us have felt alone in the beginning. Alot of us did not tell people what we are doing because we did not want to hear their lectures. You will do fine and I'm sure you will meet some great people. Make this alittle vacation and enjoy yourself.

Best of Luck to you,

Shanalee - WELCOME!

I didn't know a sole there UNTIL after the surgery where there were a couple of other gals who had surgery there too, Mary Beth and BeBe, and we started talking and next thing I knew...I WASN'T alone!

Make sure you stay in the clinic overnight. I met my "band buddy" while we were walking around the hospital floors! If I had left the same day, I would not have met her. So stay, branch out and hang with others besides your husband. Good luck.

Shana-Lee,

I understand your feelings. I feel like I've been so depressed the past two weeks. I keep telling myself that it is because I'm sick, but I know that it's more than that. I'm having surgery on December 4. I'm leaving at 4 o'clock in the morning on December 3 to drive myself 1 - 1.5 hours to an airport in a different state. I'm making the trip on my own. And, flying back to drive myself home. I'm 33. Not married, but have the most adorable little puppy in the world. I have only shared my surgery decision with three people; two of my sisters and my supervisor at work. And, let me tell you... I am the youngest of 8 children --- I have a lot of family. I guess it is normal. For me, I have always been a "big girl." I have always felt left out. And, I guess it is scary going to a place that will accept me for who I am. And, I feel like I'm fitting in here at the forum. I've been judged all of my life. It's scary venturing out into the unknown. But the bottom line is, you need to do what is best for you. And, for your health. This forum has been a wealth of information for me.

Kristy

I also went by myself, arrived late the night before surgery and wasn't able to meet anybody prior. I was entirely alone and no one but hubby knew I was there. Trust me when I tell you, you won't be alone long. I met Denise (Shrty) and her mom and made an awesome sister-friend. I'm dead smack middle (am a twin) of eight children and none of them know. Get your strength in a healthy place and don't allow people's biases to upset you. You've got it figured out pretty clearly, you DO need to do what is best for YOU. The rest will all come together in it's proper time.

Take care!

Jann

I also went by myself, arrived late the night before surgery and wasn't able to meet anybody prior. I was entirely alone and no one but hubby knew I was there. Trust me when I tell you, you won't be alone long. I met Denise (Shrty) and her mom and made an awesome sister-friend. I'm dead smack middle (am a twin) of eight children and none of them know. Get your strength in a healthy place and don't allow people's biases to upset you. You've got it figured out pretty clearly, you DO need to do what is best for YOU. The rest will all come together in it's proper time.

Take care!

Jann

We are band sisters for life Jann. Sending my LOVE you're way.

Hi Shanalee, like many have already said you are not alone, you are part of a wonderful world of bandsisters and brothers. Jann and I started on this forum at the same time, I had my surgery the day after she did, we met in the lobby and it was like we knew each other for life. It was the same with Janet at the airport, everything was all over the internet, but once you see that person you connect in a way that I cant even explain it. As well as with Ellen like she said we did running around the hallway with our IV poles. I was a real pretty site. Again YOU ARE NOT ALONE. You have all our support. Keep us posted.

Welcome to the group, Shanalee! I hope you are starting to feel more welcome now! Please remember you are doing this for yourself, and while support would be nice from those you have told, it doesn't always happen the way we want it to.

Remember that even when your husband first mentioned TJ to you, you thought he was NUTS until you researched it. It's just the initial reaction that most people have. However, from everything I've heard and seen on this forum, I wouldn't worry a bit about having surgery in TJ. It sounds like you've moved on from worrying what everyone else thinks and are starting to concentrate on yourself, and that is the way it should be!

Good luck to you and I look forward to seeing lots more from you girl!

Denise

Hi Shana-Lee!,

I'm glad so many people have responded to you. Your first post was heartbreaking.

Don't be sad. You will feel so much soon. I promise.

You know, I didn't tell a lot of people of my decision. I am single, I did do this with

a very good friend and we did the journey together. However, she has her boyfriend,

and I have my dogs! :lol: And they don't get it either!

Anyway, I didn't tell a lot of people, because I didn't was to justify what I was doing. I

had made my decision, and knew that Mexico was my best plan. It was fate that I found

Dr Ortiz & the forum. You will see, he really is the best, and his office and staff are A+.

We do care here, you see that from the responses you have gotten.

You have you husband to help you. And us. If you don't have anybody else, then so be it!

I just have a handful of non banded people that I talk to.

I'm still doing well.

Enjoy your Thanksgiving. You will have a lot to be thankful for in the future.

And here goes!! :lb11: :lb21: :lb13: :lb9: :lb24: :lb24: :lb24: :lb24: :lb24:

Tara