bummed

Sounds like you need to bump up your caloric intake a bit. Try to get in at least 1,000 a day, 1,200 would be better. You might want to try using a web site like fitday.com to track your caloric intake. Try to get most of your calories from protein and not carbs.

Might also want to stay off the scale everyday. It will fluctuate and it can be very frustrating.

Best of luck.

Guest erinmohr
1000 calories a day?!!! I didn't think I would still have to eat that much.

From my understanding of things, you are not really suppose to count calories during the liquid phase, just concentrate on healing. Your body needs all the energy it can get right now and you shouldn't focus too much on your weight yet.

If your daily consumption is only 300 calories your body will go into stavation mode. It thinks that you are not going to feed it and it actually stores what you consume instead of burning it. I would definately bump up your intake as mentioned by others....Good Luck!

HI!

I haven't been banded yet but I do know that if you are eating only 300 calories a day then what Lisamarie00 said is right, your body is going into starvation mode and your metabolism shuts down. Every weight loss program or article I've ever read says that women need to consume about 1000 to 1200 calories a day to keep fueled and metabolism running so you can loose weight.

Good luck and I hope everything works out for you! I am so excited to get to join everyone in bandland very soon!!

I'm on day 15 and have been strictly liquids til yesterday. How can I lose 5 pounds in 1 day and then gain 3 back the next. I have had only about 300 calories a day intake and thought i would be losing more. Can someone explain this please!

If you are following the diet your doctor gave you after banding, you should be getting a hell of a lot more calories than 300. If you are now having creamy soups and liquid yogurt, you should be having 150 - 300 calories PER MEAL.

You body weight fluxuation is due to the fact your in a starvation mode and its trying to store whatever it can.

Your band is a tool, not a toy. To help it succeed you need to ensure you gain a better relationship and understanding with food. You HAVE to eat to survive. You do more long term damage if you try to starve it. Your goal is to eat about 1/3 the amount of food you used to eat... and that the food you put in your body is conciously better choices. Dr. Ortiz suggests you challenge the band and eat as little as you can. However, I am sure he doesn't mean to a point of starvation.

Here are some thoughts to increase your caloric intake while still on the liquid diet:

• YOP - Liquid yogurt is a great meal for breakfast. Its around 150 calories. Lots of different flavours to choose from
  • Gatorade - I drank the Gatorade Fierce Grape and Orange... was really good. 180 calories
  • Campbell's Soup to Go. Cream of Tomato was my favorite. Around 150 calories per meal.
  • Campbell's Gardenay speciality soups. I would strain them to get the chunks out, giving me different flavours to try so I wouldn't get bored. I would have one full bowl (2 servings) at dinner... giving me somewhere around 300 or 400 calories.

During the liquid phase my meals tended to be:

1. Breakfast - YOP, and a glass of orange juice (approx. 300cal)
  2. Lunch - Soup to Go (approx. 150 cal)
  3. Mid afternoon snack - A gatorade (approx 180 calories)
  4. Dinner - Garden Harvast soups [approx 300 cal]

My total was under 1000 calories. And I consistantly lost weight each week. I also only weighed myself once a week so I wouldn't see the swinging my body would do if I was retaining water, etc.

YMMV of course. But you are DEFINITELY not getting enough food. You are punishing your body, and your body is punishing you back mentally on the scale.

As a reminder... you are in a time of healing. Starving yourself isn't helping. I am not saying to gourge yourself... but make sure you get the nutrients it needs to heal.

Taz

If you are following the diet your doctor gave you after banding, you should be getting a hell of a lot more calories than 300. If you are now having creamy soups and liquid yogurt, you should be having 150 - 300 calories PER MEAL.

You body weight fluxuation is due to the fact your in a starvation mode and its trying to store whatever it can.

Your band is a tool, not a toy. To help it succeed you need to ensure you gain a better relationship and understanding with food. You HAVE to eat to survive. You do more long term damage if you try to starve it. Your goal is to eat about 1/3 the amount of food you used to eat... and that the food you put in your body is conciously better choices. Dr. Ortiz suggests you challenge the band and eat as little as you can. However, I am sure he doesn't mean to a point of starvation.

Here are some thoughts to increase your caloric intake while still on the liquid diet:

• YOP - Liquid yogurt is a great meal for breakfast. Its around 150 calories. Lots of different flavours to choose from
  • Gatorade - I drank the Gatorade Fierce Grape and Orange... was really good. 180 calories
  • Campbell's Soup to Go. Cream of Tomato was my favorite. Around 150 calories per meal.
  • Campbell's Gardenay speciality soups. I would strain them to get the chunks out, giving me different flavours to try so I wouldn't get bored. I would have one full bowl (2 servings) at dinner... giving me somewhere around 300 or 400 calories.

During the liquid phase my meals tended to be:

1. Breakfast - YOP, and a glass of orange juice (approx. 300cal)
  2. Lunch - Soup to Go (approx. 150 cal)
  3. Mid afternoon snack - A gatorade (approx 180 calories)
  4. Dinner - Garden Harvast soups [approx 300 cal]

My total was under 1000 calories. And I consistantly lost weight each week. I also only weighed myself once a week so I wouldn't see the swinging my body would do if I was retaining water, etc.

YMMV of course. But you are DEFINITELY not getting enough food. You are punishing your body, and your body is punishing you back mentally on the scale.

As a reminder... you are in a time of healing. Starving yourself isn't helping. I am not saying to gourge yourself... but make sure you get the nutrients it needs to heal.

Taz

Taz...

That was a GREAT post. I am having problems getting my liquids down. I just fill SO full and tight, no hugry feeling what so ever. I am drinking 1/2 cup of liquid yogurt twice a day. I think I may try to increase that a little. Today seemed a little easier to get liquids down. I am only getting about 16-24 oz of liquid down a day. I am on day 10 and I start cream soups tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestions.

when you restrict your caloric intake too much, your body goes into survival mode and tries to save every calorie it can as fat. You still need to get enough calories to keep your basal metabolic rate up, so you trick your body into thinking it's getting enough, and will burn that stored fat as a result intead of trying to save it.

This is a time of healing, please keep up your proteins to help the surgery heal. Do not focus on the weight for now, you are going to a lifetime to learn to work the band. Have faith that when you get your fills at the right amount for you, the weight will come off.

I bet you have lost some inches???

Be kind and patient with you, it is going to happen.

Barb