Violence in TJ

Hi everyone. Well, I got home from wk last night and checked the news online. I was shocked w/ the story about the violence in TJ this weekend. They found 9 bodies beheaded in a vacant lot, and 23 deaths over the weekend. A man was throwing grenades into a crowd? A gunman killed a 4 year old in a grocery store???!!! I know there is violence everywhere, but I am flying out tomorrow morning since I get banded on Wed. I must say, I am a little freaked out! Can anybody tell me if TJ is truely that violent? Do I need to stay just in the hotel? I was looking forward to going shopping. I think that idea is out the door now. Please message back especially if you have been there recently. Thanks!

Sarah,

the same stories about violence were in the headlines right before I flew out in May 2008. I made a point to ask the driver about it and he indicated it was typical but it happens further south in TJ and not in the area of the hotel/clinic. I personally did not see any violence, but I did not leave the grounds of the hotel or the clinic. Just felt safer that way.

I've been to ALOT of places in Mexico and I have to say nothing is like it seems, I didnt go to TJ But I did go to a few other places around there, I would'nt just stay in the hotel, go out have fun, they will recommend some places to go to im sure...

Hi everyone. Well, I got home from wk last night and checked the news online. I was shocked w/ the story about the violence in TJ this weekend. They found 9 bodies beheaded in a vacant lot, and 23 deaths over the weekend. A man was throwing grenades into a crowd? A gunman killed a 4 year old in a grocery store???!!! I know there is violence everywhere, but I am flying out tomorrow morning since I get banded on Wed. I must say, I am a little freaked out! Can anybody tell me if TJ is truely that violent? Do I need to stay just in the hotel? I was looking forward to going shopping. I think that idea is out the door now. Please message back especially if you have been there recently. Thanks!

Almost all of the violence is gang related. I was at the OCC 3 times this year, March, May and June. I walked all over the place, to the clinic and back, the mall and back, the movies and back. Never went out at night and all was ok. This Tijuana violence thing comes up all the time, but please try not to let it worry you. There is violence just like that right out your own front door. Just follow the suggestions the hotel people give you and use their taxi driver and you will be fine.

We used the red Mexicoach tour bus. It is $10.00 per person and you have on/off priveliges all day long. Talk to Alonso and he will have them stop for you if you are interested. We didn't have any major problems. At the mall I felt completely safe. On Revolution avenue, I was a bit uncomfortable. The vendors are very pushy. One was really rude to me because I wouldn't buy his gold earrings. If you stay near the hotel you should be fine.

Kimberly

I was there the week before last and everything was fine. I was either with the driver, at the hotel or at the clinic. In fact I thought TJ looked much improved in the areas around the hotel! Starbucks, new banks, etc.

I wouldn't advise going out at night by yourself, but I would imagine you're more likely to face the usual dangers when traveling anywhere (pickpocketers, scammers, crazy traffic) than any gang violence.

I was there last week and no violence whatsoever. I was told beforehand that I'd see military people around, but I didn't see any. My mother and I walked to the pharmacy across the street the day I got back from surgery. We also walked to the mall the evening before my surgery. The scariest part as Cottonwood said was crossing the streets, those roundabouts are crazy! I found the Mexican people to be friendly and helpful, especially considering we hardly knew two words of Spanish and needed information on directions, prices, etc. I felt very comfortable at the shopping plaza (I think it's called Plaza Rio Tijuana), and we were easily able, with some directions from someone, to find a taxi stand at the street by the Plaza to get back to our hotel.

Just use common sense, don't go out by yourself at night, keep your purse and belongings close to you, and stay in well-lit areas. The driver also told us that the violence happens in a different part of the city.

LOL. I was there this weekend getting banded, and we knew nothing about it. We did hear a lot of sirens, but I believe that we were in a really safe area. I think that if you stay close to the hotel and don't go out after dark, everything will be fine. We felt nothing but safety while in TJ and the hotel and OCC. You are in good hands.

LeahLanette

We did see the trucks full of men with machine guns patrolling and one drug bust happening at a business on the way to the clinic from the hospital, BUT I work in East LA and see worse than that almost every day. So its all about being smart and not going off where you shouldn't be. Take cabs and stay close to the clinic, the hotel, and the tourist areas. You'll be fine.

Hi Sarah,

Like Kimmy in MD said, it's further south in TJ and not in the area around the hotel or the clinic. CottomwoodAZ said what I was going to say. I stayed at the hotel and the clinic at night time for safe keeping. During the day, my hubby and I walked across the street to get popsicles, which was by the "glorietta' where the cars goes around the middle. LOL...it is like playing "frogger" but they do definitely stop for you. It's amazing! No car crashes all the time we were there! Also, I walked down to the Solei Salon and had my hair and nails done, no issues at all.

I also had my first fill there last weekend and we didn't see any violence at all.

• 1 month later...

Hello Everybody,

Regarding the violence in TJ, it so happens that my father lives in TJ - in a very nice area about 10 minutes away from the border - without traffic. Living in the good area of TJ is in a way more worrysome because of the threat of kidnapping. He now spends 3-4 days a week in the States and does no shopping or walking about in TJ - basically he's "in and out." I've been wanting to go to TJ for another fill and while the general consensus is that it "should"be fine, the concern is very real. Not so much for a personal attack but for the indiscriminate shooting - from both sides- should you be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Which, by the way. happens not only in "bad" areas.

So, I keep putting it off. My father has a golfing friend who was kidnapped in early 2008 but was released after 43 days after ranson was paid (a business owner in TJ - living in the States). He was NOT treated well, let's just say. Approximately 3.5 weeks ago my father was playing golf in TJ when a shooting broke out between police and God who knows who, just across from the club house. Nobody was hurt but the people in the club house were told to lie down for their own protection.

So, will I chace it? Probably in a few weeks. (Like THAT'S going to make a difference!) But the recommedation is mixed when it comes to the business people we know who live in the states and cross for business. Go figure.

I would just be cautious about milling about like I've done before. This time it'll just be "in and out."

For what it's worth, that was my two cents.

Best wishes everybody.