Restaurant Eating

Help! I honestly don't know what to do. My husband and I have been out to dinner by a business that we a lot of business with. They do this every year as a thank you. But up until this year it has not been a problem. I do not want to appear rude and order a prime rib, etc. eat a very small portion and then make them pay for it. My husband was joking with me today and said that maybe he would tell them that I was going to be sick on Jan. 17th. I seriously do not know how to handle this. Some of my husbands family will be there and I have not told them of what I have had done. They have not seen me since my surgery either. And I definitely can not tell them where I had it done. Long story short. Husbands sister lives in San Diego, mother in law is snow birding there. Trying to explain to them why I did not contact them while I was there is another story. Help! Help! Help. :-?

Help! I honestly don't know what to do. My husband and I have been out to dinner by a business that we a lot of business with. They do this every year as a thank you. But up until this year it has not been a problem. I do not want to appear rude and order a prime rib, etc. eat a very small portion and then make them pay for it. My husband was joking with me today and said that maybe he would tell them that I was going to be sick on Jan. 17th. I seriously do not know how to handle this. Some of my husbands family will be there and I have not told them of what I have had done. They have not seen me since my surgery either. And I definitely can not tell them where I had it done. Long story short. Husbands sister lives in San Diego, mother in law is snow birding there. Trying to explain to them why I did not contact them while I was there is another story. Help! Help! Help. :-?

I don't know when your dinner date is supposed to happen,, but I can tell you haven't had your first fill yet by your data in your post. You'll be surprised how much you'll be able to eat without that first fill. When are you supposed to be able to eat solid food? After 4 weeks? 6weeks? I can't remember what the doctors orders are pretaining to that.

Hi there!

I, too, have not told anyone so I can totally feel what you're going thru. I would suggest splitting something large with your hubby or ordering soup and an appetizer. This time of year is also perfect to use the old "New Years Resolution" excuse...I've been using it and no one questions it. So go, have fun, and they will all admire you for your new found willpower!!

Cheers!!

Hi Anne,

I agree with one of the other posters that if you haven't had your first fill, you will be surprised at how much you are able to eat. I haven't had my first fill yet, and since starting solid foods, I feel like I can eat normally.

Otherwise, I would suggest just politely explaining that you had a big lunch earlier, and so you'll probably only be able eat a small appy or something. I completely understand about not telling others about the surgery. I've only told family and some close friends (not all). When I went for an Xmas potluck party, I was still on the liquid diet, and all I told them was that I'd had surgery recently and could only eat liquids. One of them asked me what surgery I had, and I just said that I would tell them about it later. The others did not ask me about it at all.

-vangirl

I know exactly how you feel. We are going to Florida in a few weeks to stay with one of our friends. While I can't wait to get to Florida and hang out on the beach, it's going to be 3 days after my first fill!!! Yikes!! And to make matters worse, our friend keeps sending me emails about all the food he is going to cook for us while we are there!! :blink:

I think my strategy is going to be to pretend like I am just getting over a terrible stomach bug or something and just don't have an appetite. This strategy may however work better for you, since you are only having one meal with your business partners. I can't figure out how I'm going to manage to pull this charade off for an entire week!!

If you come up with anything good, please post it... Good luck...

Just make sure to order something that you know you can eat and that will go down smoothly. And remember to take small bites and chew throughly. Most importantly remember just because it's a dinner doesn't mean you have to clean your plate, and you don't have to explain how much you eat to anyone. I know what you are going through and it's tough. I have had six fills and I am really resticted so when I go out with friends they are chowing down and I am full after a bite or two. But hang in there and remember to have fun and relax. You will be just fine. Good Luck!

I don't know when your dinner date is supposed to happen,, but I can tell you haven't had your first fill yet by your data in your post. You'll be surprised how much you'll be able to eat without that first fill. When are you supposed to be able to eat solid food? After 4 weeks? 6weeks? I can't remember what the doctors orders are pretaining to that.

I have almost finished my first week of solids.

My dinner date is January 17th. And you are right, I haven't had my first fill yet. But I have been strictly following the food amounts that Dr. Miranda told me to eat. I guess it must be about the same amount that you would have after a fill. So, would it be wise to try and eat normally after I have shrunken my stomach so much? I am literally full after my 3-4oz protein, 1/4 cup veggies and or fruit, 1/4 cup of grains if possible. From what Dr. Miranda told me and wrote on paper work, I just assumed that this is what I was supposed to do. She wrote it all for when I started solids. Thank you for all of the input. My first fill is scheduled for February 11th.

I guess I'll claim the flu bug, New Year's Resolution and all of the above.

I have almost finished my first week of solids.

My dinner date is January 17th. And you are right, I haven't had my first fill yet. But I have been strictly following the food amounts that Dr. Miranda told me to eat. I guess it must be about the same amount that you would have after a fill. So, would it be wise to try and eat normally after I have shrunken my stomach so much? I am literally full after my 3-4oz protein, 1/4 cup veggies and or fruit, 1/4 cup of grains if possible. From what Dr. Miranda told me and wrote on paper work, I just assumed that this is what I was supposed to do. She wrote it all for when I started solids. Thank you for all of the input. My first fill is scheduled for February 11th.

I guess I'll claim the flu bug, New Year's Resolution and all of the above.

I would go out and enjoy the evening with your husband! If people ask, just tell them it is the New Year & you are watching your diet. Order fish, or a chopped steak, or something soft with mashed potatoes. Treat yourself and this night, don't worry about your servings! Dr. O says you can eat 1/3 of what you used to eat and without a fill that should not be a problem if you eat slow. I say go & enjoy yourself! You can always get a doggy bag.

Agree with what everyone else has said. I've been to several dinner outings and it's only been questioned once. I told them i'm being more mindful of what I eat and eating really slow and chewing a lot. I remind them that your body doesn't know that you are full until about 10-15 min after you hit that spot, and if I eat slow then I know precisely when I am full and can stop in time. They all buy it and have no problems with it. I"ve been on about a million diets so they figure it's just another crack at it. Actually, the questions have been why I wasn't drinking with my meal and that was harder. Just said I wasn't thirsty.

I would go out and enjoy the evening with your husband! If people ask, just tell them it is the New Year & you are watching your diet. Order fish, or a chopped steak, or something soft with mashed potatoes. Treat yourself and this night, don't worry about your servings! Dr. O says you can eat 1/3 of what you used to eat and without a fill that should not be a problem if you eat slow. I say go & enjoy yourself! You can always get a doggy bag.

Enjoy your evening out..you are really the only one who knows other than your husband. Fish and a nice vegetable or salad is always a perfect choice...provided the fish is moist. ...and many times I have ordered my favorite appetizer as my entree I usually order a dessert as well and take one bite and pass it . You will be fine. Enjoy!

Labella

Banned OCC Dec 11

Enjoy your evening out..you are really the only one who knows other than your husband. Fish and a nice vegetable or salad is always a perfect choice...provided the fish is moist. ...and many times I have ordered my favorite appetizer as my entree I usually order a dessert as well and take one bite and pass it . You will be fine. Enjoy!

Labella

Banned OCC Dec 11

Go and enjoy! Since you haven't had a fill... you could probably eat your whole dinner! But, don't do that for "appearances sake." Just eat until you are comfortable. Expensive investment... we just have to remember to choose wisely.

Kristy

Thank you all so much! I do hope they have fish for that would be the perfect choice. Do any of you remember the show "Million Dollar Man"? Well I think of myself as the $8000.00 stomach. LOL That definitely keeps me on track. Have a great evening. And you know you are right. They have all seen me lose and gain multiple times, so this won't come as a surprise to them that I am dieting again. That was an excellant point to make. Anne

Thank you all so much! I do hope they have fish for that would be the perfect choice. Do any of you remember the show "Million Dollar Man"? Well I think of myself as the $8000.00 stomach. LOL That definitely keeps me on track. Have a great evening. And you know you are right. They have all seen me lose and gain multiple times, so this won't come as a surprise to them that I am dieting again. That was an excellant point to make. Anne

Just keep in mind that sometimes fish can be dry. Try to pick something with a sauce. (some fish entrees have it) You are going to be in public and you don't want to get sick. Otherwise, just really take small bites and chew chew.