Post Op Liquids

SamanthaW

Hello!

I am on day 9 post op and I was just curious to know what some of you had during this time throughout the day? I really don't want to screw this up by even drinking too much liquids so can some of you let me know what you had during the day when you were onto the full liquids stage? I know we don't have to count calories right now but I am just not sure how much of what I should be taking in and it would be really helpful!

Thanks!

I would love to know this as well.

I am having problems with creamy soups. Broccoli cheese made me bloated, tomato gave me the runs, and after how I felt yesterday after eating it, I am afraid to try anything, oh and I don't like mushroom or clam chowder. So the only thing I can eat is cream of chicken. I can't stand any type of juices right now, so I drink water all day, with an occasional chocolate milk, strawberry milk, and hot chocolate. I also have popsicles, and fudgsicles, and drinkable yogurt.

I am also trying to figure out how to get more protein in.

I have been having 1 protein shake a day to get protein in but the creamy soups thing is hard for me because I am not sure how much of it we are supposed to be eating...

Ckiki - I found a really really yummy cheddar potato mix at Safeway the other day and that sat really well with me last night its from Bear Creek I think, something different than cream of chicken... I also made me and my husband beef stew one night and just made it extra liquidy so I could have that part and he had all the chunks...

Ckiki - I found a really really yummy cheddar potato mix at Safeway the other day and that sat really well with me last night its from Bear Creek I think, something different than cream of chicken... I also made me and my husband beef stew one night and just made it extra liquidy so I could have that part and he had all the chunks..

That does sound yummy. Now, when you say mix, does that mean in a can or something else?

It is in a bag and you just mix it with water, it makes about 7 cups and it is thick when its done. It does have some potato chunks in it but it was pretty easy to strain out and if I would have thought about it I could have made it without the chunks and would have made it easier on myself!

It is in a bag and you just mix it with water, it makes about 7 cups and it is thick when its done. It does have some potato chunks in it but it was pretty easy to strain out and if I would have thought about it I could have made it without the chunks and would have made it easier on myself!

I don't have a Safeway in my area, but I am going to check Ralphs. Would it be with all the other soups?

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm excited now, something different..lol

Yeah it was with all the other soups, you might try Vons if you can't find it at Ralph's, they are the same company as Safeway... I also found a butternut squash soup but haven't tried it yet so can't say if it is good or not...

Good Luck!

Yeah it was with all the other soups, you might try Vons if you can't find it at Ralph's, they are the same company as Safeway... I also found a butternut squash soup but haven't tried it yet so can't say if it is good or not...

Good Luck!

Thanks so much. :)

I am having a Carnation instant breakfast drink in the morning with a scoop of unflavored protein mixed in it as well for breakfast

usually around lunch I have a drinkable yogurt in strawberry

and for dinner i have cream of potato soup with no potatoes.

The only other soup I like is the Tomato Parmesean Bisque soup at hand soup - its pretty good so sometimes i have that. But I am getting tired of these. I really want to eat. lol

I have been VERY 'regular' since day 4 going on the yogurt drinks - its surprising but better than the alternative i guess.

but yeah I am curious about how much soup to drink - ive been drinking about a full small bowl of it, just slowly. Im losing about a pound a day so I guess Im ok .

I dont think the liquids can stretch out the pouch, as they go straight through

I was banded in November and my husband was banded just a week ago. I make soups that are simple and tasty and then freeze them for later in the week. I will post my recipe for pea soup below which is really fulfilling and helps to bind the solids after the clear liquid phase. Also, you might want to try Costco as they have a Lobster bisque that you can have as there is only a small amount of lumps (discard them). Finally, have a pudding to help fill you up and frozen yogurt is also great.

Cut up three large onions (white) into small pieces

Cut up some carrots (cut up into small pieces)

1 garlic - cut up into small pieces

2 spoons basil (tea spoons)

8 cups of chicken broth (I buy Wolfgang Pucks brand)

1 package of dried peas

Salt and Pepper

Spray Olive oil.

Spray large pan with Olive Oil

Place carrots and onions in pan with salt

When they are soft add chicken broth, garlic and basil

Bring to a boil and add peas.

Bring to a boil and then lower the heat to the lowest possible and cover

Wait until everything has completely completely disolved.

You can use this recipe (other than the peas) to make other soups, Salmon is great because you can mash is down to a creamy substance, add Clamato Juice with the Salmon.

Hope this helps. I know it is hard but I am living proof that the band works. Lost 21 lbs and 44 to go~

Ok, so I bought the cheesy potato soup that SamanthaW recommended, and it was so good, and it didn't upset my stomach or make me feel bloated..YAY!! I could only eat about a cup of it, it was very filling. Then tonight I had a frozen yogurt from my fave place, it was a choc/van swirl...YUMMY!!!

It's so funny, because I feel like I have eaten so much today compared to the past week, and it's only been a popsicle, a protein shake, a cup of soup and a small frozen yogurt.

Yay I am glad you liked it! Tonight was my 2nd night of it!

Basically I have been having a protein shake for breakfast, liquid yogurt for lunch and then soup for dinner with some other small amounts of liquids in between.

I had been loosing about a pound a day the whole last week but then this morning I got on the scale and I was up 2 lbs! I think it is because I am nearing the end of my birth control cycle and I started retaining water again but grrr! I have been in a bad mood all day because of it too! And I just wanted to make sure I wasn't eating too much or something to make me gain 2lbs over night.

Yeah, I need to get back on a regular breakfast/lunch/dinner schedule now. Today was my first day having a protein drink, I just couldn't stomach them any sooner.

Hi Sammantha!

Doing well I hope. So I have been doing the clear liquid stuff and added drinkable yogurt yesterday, yuk!!! So I can't wait until the morning so I am going to start the soup thing tonight. Hey, can we have pudding on our full liquid diet? I see that you have lost quite a bit. I am down 9 pounds from surgery, about 1 pound a day too. How did you get the ticker on your post?

Hi Nikki!!

How are you feeling? Any shoulder pain or anything? I am having bad shoulder pain 2-3 times a day that lasts about 30 min and it is aweful! I think we can have the jello puddings, and I have been loving the soup stage actually! I love cream of chicken soup since I was a kid so its nice to have lots of it!

Here is a post that really helped with the ticker counter: http://www.lapbandforum.com/index.php?showtopic=5317

Take care and keep me posted on your journey!!

I didn't mind the creamy soup stage as it kept me full and I had a variety of soups made ahead of time. Mostly I like the Campbell's Cream of Potatoes and Cheddar Cheese soup. I would go on this soup after each fill too, for it's very filling and lots of proteins. If I needed more protein, just add a scoop of unflavored protein powder! With the potatoes, I just mashed them down to thicken the soup and if I did see any large chuncks, just take them out. To make this soup:

2 cans Campbell's Cream of Potatoe

1 can Campbell's Cheddar Cheese

2 cans worth of milk (I used 2%)

Optional ~ add spices to your taste (I used garlic powder, rosemary ~ crushed, and when I am in the mood, a dash of hot sauce for a kick)

Add all the indredients in a pot and stir. It freezes good, when I do a double batch of this, otherwise it's gone with in a few days.

I also did tomatoe soup and dock it up with whatever spices/hot sauce I wanted at the time.

Soup serving: During the creamy soup stage, I did 1/2 cups at a time, as many as I wanted during the day.

Like Jazzy Jude, I also had soup 1/2 cup at a time (maybe I learned it from her). I really enjoyed the drinkable yogurt in the morning, but again I kept it to 1/2 of a cup. The only thing that I had (other than water) was 8oz. of a protein shake. I really like Crytal Lite in the little packages for a bottle of water. It really helps the water to go down a lot easier. Peach & Sunburst Orange are my favorites. But instead of mixing it like they say. I use a 32oz bottle of water to one packet of the Crystal Lite.

Someone also mentioned puddings, Dr. Miranda told me no on those along with jello. She also asked me to stay away from the Vitamin Water and the Special K water. She actually drew a frowning face below her list of things that she did not want me to have. But from what I understand after reading everyone's posts on here, is that we all seem to have come away with different variations of the food list. She did a lot of writing on mine so that is what I have stuck to.

Good Luck, I just know it seems that we can never learn enough about this whole procedure. (At least for me) :-h

Someone also mentioned puddings, Dr. Miranda told me no on those along with jello. She also asked me to stay away from the Vitamin Water and the Special K water. She actually drew a frowning face below her list of things that she did not want me to have. But from what I understand after reading everyone's posts on here, is that we all seem to have come away with different variations of the food list. She did a lot of writing on mine so that is what I have stuck to

Dr. Miranda told me the same. She actually wrote on my paper no jello, and she said she wasn't a fan of Vitamin Water and the Special K water.

Thank God I have not had any of this shoulder pain that I keep hearing about, I guess I am lucky that way! I have had a lot of gassy pains but just get up and move around a lot and it goes away. My incisions are all healing well and the only one that is still tender is the port site. Sometimes I can feel it kind of like pulling at the stitches so I just freeze and take it easy. Other than that doing really good!

I too am liking the creamy soups! I have always hated tomato soup but I got brave and tried the Safeway version in their deli, Tomato Bisque soup and OMG!!! I love it! but it is higher in calories but I figured that since that was all I was having its okay this once. Hopefully the Campbells version tastes just as good.

Gotta go finish work now. Did your daughter do okay without you? Mine was brave and only cried a little bit but she is 5 now, yours is much younger.

Talk more later

Niki

I didn't mind the creamy soup stage as it kept me full and I had a variety of soups made ahead of time. Mostly I like the Campbell's Cream of Potatoes and Cheddar Cheese soup. I would go on this soup after each fill too, for it's very filling and lots of proteins. If I needed more protein, just add a scoop of unflavored protein powder! With the potatoes, I just mashed them down to thicken the soup and if I did see any large chuncks, just take them out. To make this soup:

2 cans Campbell's Cream of Potatoe

1 can Campbell's Cheddar Cheese

2 cans worth of milk (I used 2%)

Optional ~ add spices to your taste (I used garlic powder, rosemary ~ crushed, and when I am in the mood, a dash of hot sauce for a kick)

Add all the indredients in a pot and stir. It freezes good, when I do a double batch of this, otherwise it's gone with in a few days.

I also did tomatoe soup and dock it up with whatever spices/hot sauce I wanted at the time.

Soup serving: During the creamy soup stage, I did 1/2 cups at a time, as many as I wanted during the day.

I amde this soup It is wonderful, add the garlic powder and the hot sauce Thanks for all the good tips!

It is true, Dr. Miranda is not big on the protein waters. She actually encouraged me to drink Gatorade. I still to this day drink one G2 gatorade a day. I swear by them too. Yesterday I didn't have it because we were gone from the house all day so I was out of my routine, I woke up with a severe headache and dizzyness.

Mine was a little overwhelmed after being with Grandma and Auntie all weekend but she did really good while we were gone, unfortunately she got an ear infection right when we got back though so we have been taking care of our little sickie for about a week now :(

Take care!!

I amde this soup It is wonderful, add the garlic powder and the hot sauce Thanks for all the good tips!

Hi Janet! See, I told you it was good and it's filling too. You can add whatever spices you personally like, but the garlic powder gave that extra flavor and the hot sauce gave it a kick! I use this recipe after each fill...so yummy!