Fill Question

I had some issues with my first fill due to the fill dr. having trouble finding the port and having to poke around for it, which was very unpleasant. But the poke from the needle going in is really minor, less painful than getting blood drawn. I prepared myself by watching a fill being done on youtube and was freaked when I saw it. But when it went in for the first time, I was surprised at how small of a deal it is. I don't think the numbing is necessary, if it's easy to find the port.

I was really freaked about the thought of that needle going in my stomach, but i'm gonna tell you on a scale of 1-10 I think the pain was a 2. The actual needle stick was nothing. To me, the part that was the most uncomfortable is after they stick it through your skin and are trying to find the spot in the port. But that is more pressure than pain. It's over so quick and it's no big deal. Don't stress at all!

My biggest concern was drinking the barium... I have major texture issues. The experience was a breeze for me. The most painful part was when Dr. Acosta pulled the needle out --- ouchie --- but, it was probably because of my fat roll!

Kristy

I was really freaked about the thought of that needle going in my stomach, but i'm gonna tell you on a scale of 1-10 I think the pain was a 2. The actual needle stick was nothing. To me, the part that was the most uncomfortable is after they stick it through your skin and are trying to find the spot in the port. But that is more pressure than pain. It's over so quick and it's no big deal. Don't stress at all!

Shelby--I owe you a huge thank you for referring me to Dr. Malley. I booked with him right away, like you said to, and you were right, he was really booked up. But I get my first fill in March, and I am so happy you steered me his way. Sandra

weird question - but - does it hurt getting a fill? Ive seen the pics of people with a big needle in their stomach.... looks kinda painful! Does it hurt internally as they fill you?

Hi Christy ~ nothing is a weird question if you haven't experienced it yet. To me, it was a piece of cake! There were NO pain involved at all for me. I, too, saw "live" when I toured OCC the first time and signed up for surgery, and I was lucky to witness this first fill for someone else. It 'looks' painful but in reality it didn't.

If you going to OCC, the fill process is quite easy. You lay down, then the doc sterilize the port area (no numbing needed at all). He uses the fluoro to locate your port and then he gently lays his hand on your tummy and slightly stretch out your skin over the port and insert the needle and it feels as if you were to touch your hand with your fingernail. You only feel the pressure of the insertion and that is it. Then you drink the barium and he starts to fill you and both of you can view on the fluoro and watch the liquid go down. You would continue to drink all the barium (you get about a total of 2oz in a small dixie cup) until the doc sees the 'flow' is continuous and smooth for YOUR restriction.

It took all of 10 minutes from beginning to end from both of my fills. After he took out the needle, just held the gauze in place of the needle and got dress and left the table. Not even a bandaid was needed. To me, it was a painless process and didn't even phased me the second time going in, since I know how the process goes.

I had no problem or pain either.

The stomach is actually the easiest place for a shot. It has the least amount of nerve endings than anywhere else, or something like that. The diabetic doctor told me that when I was there for my neice. He said it was much less painful there than in the arms or legs. And sure enough, my neice gives herself her injections in her stomach rather than anywhere else, and has been since she was 12 so you know it must be true for a kid to do it.

Guest erinmohr

i had my first fill thursday and this is something you probably don't want to hear... but i for very faint after being poked 3 times... i would have passed out if i hadn't laid down when i did. :lb12:

i had my first fill thursday and this is something you probably don't want to hear... but i for very faint after being poked 3 times... i would have passed out if i hadn't laid down when i did. :lb12:

Ooh Erin, sorry to hear of this. Did you have your fill at OCC?

Shelby--I owe you a huge thank you for referring me to Dr. Malley. I booked with him right away, like you said to, and you were right, he was really booked up. But I get my first fill in March, and I am so happy you steered me his way. Sandra

You are most welcome! He is great and I'm sure you will have a great experience with him. I have another fill right after Valentine's Day but this time i'm seeing the NP so i'll let you know how that goes. I've heard nothing but good things about her too so i'm not worried.

Let me know how it goes!!!

weird question - but - does it hurt getting a fill? Ive seen the pics of people with a big needle in their stomach.... looks kinda painful! Does it hurt internally as they fill you?

My fill did not hurt at all! I was so relieved. My doctor gave me a topical numbing shot so the big shot did not hurt me at all. I did not feel anything. I watched my dr. the best I could while laying down flat and he put a small round bandaid on me when he was done. He said he was through and I was shocked that it did not hurt. I love my dr.

I am also like Erin- vasovagal. Although I was numb from a shot of numbing meds I still went vasovagal. But had absolutely no pain. I hate that you had the same problem. Here is more about Vasovagal syncope:

Causes

Vasovagal syncope occurs when the part of your nervous system that regulates heart rate and blood pressure malfunctions in response to a trigger, such as the sight of blood. Your heart rate slows, and the blood vessels in your legs widen. This allows blood to pool in your legs, which lowers your blood pressure. This drop in blood pressure and slowed heart rate quickly cause diminished blood flow to your brain, and you faint.

Common triggers for vasovagal syncope include:

Standing for long periods of time

Heat exposure

The sight of blood

Having blood drawn

Fear of bodily injury

Exertion, such as straining on the toilet

Symptoms

Before a faint due to vasovagal syncope, you may experience some of the following signs and symptoms:

Pale appearance to your skin

Lightheadedness

Nausea

Feeling of warmth

A cold, clammy sweat

Shellie

I am also like Erin- vasovagal. Although I was numb from a shot of numbing meds I still went vasovagal. But had absolutely no pain. I hate that you had the same problem. Here is more about Vasovagal syncope:

Causes

Vasovagal syncope occurs when the part of your nervous system that regulates heart rate and blood pressure malfunctions in response to a trigger, such as the sight of blood. Your heart rate slows, and the blood vessels in your legs widen. This allows blood to pool in your legs, which lowers your blood pressure. This drop in blood pressure and slowed heart rate quickly cause diminished blood flow to your brain, and you faint.

Common triggers for vasovagal syncope include:

Standing for long periods of time

Heat exposure

The sight of blood

Having blood drawn

Fear of bodily injury

Exertion, such as straining on the toilet

Symptoms

Before a faint due to vasovagal syncope, you may experience some of the following signs and symptoms:

Pale appearance to your skin

Lightheadedness

Nausea

Feeling of warmth

A cold, clammy sweat

Shellie

AHA!! So thats why I fainted when I got a tattoo!!

AHA!! So thats why I fainted when I got a tattoo!!

You are probably right- I have done this a couple of times (during IV"S, while with my mom during a procedure and with my sister during a nose bleed) I am never in pain but thinking of pain.

Shellie