stomach sleeper - what to do post op?

i've slept on my stomach for years, and despite every attempt in the last few week to train myself no to, nothing works. from what i've read here & on other boards, sleeping on my tummy after band is a big no-no (at least for a few days while the incisions heal). I'm being banded in a couple weeks, and I really don't want to risk my port flipping because i can't sleep on my back. what to do?

i've slept on my stomach for years, and despite every attempt in the last few week to train myself no to, nothing works. from what i've read here & on other boards, sleeping on my tummy after band is a big no-no (at least for a few days while the incisions heal). I'm being banded in a couple weeks, and I really don't want to risk my port flipping because i can't sleep on my back. what to do?

You're probably going to have to resign yourself to sleeping poorly for a few weeks, unless you take a sleeping pill (which is not necessarily guaranteed to work). What I did to help with sleeping is prop myself with pillows so that I was in a half-reclining position. I kept a heating pad under my back to help with soreness. The heating pad helped a lot, and I highly recommend having one. I was able to sleep a couple of hours at a time that way, and occasionally could shift position from my back to my right side (not left side, as that's where the port and most of the incisions are). Sleep was initially awful, but over time I was able to sleep for slightly longer periods at a time, though certainly not as well as I could on my stomach.

Right before my surgery, I asked Dr. Ortiz when I could sleep on my stomach again, and he said whenever it is comfortable to do so. I don't remember exactly when I was able to start sleeping on my stomach again, but my guess is it will depend on each person.

You're probably going to have to resign yourself to sleeping poorly for a few weeks, unless you take a sleeping pill (which is not necessarily guaranteed to work). What I did to help with sleeping is prop myself with pillows so that I was in a half-reclining position. I kept a heating pad under my back to help with soreness. The heating pad helped a lot, and I highly recommend having one. I was able to sleep a couple of hours at a time that way, and occasionally could shift position from my back to my right side (not left side, as that's where the port and most of the incisions are). Sleep was initially awful, but over time I was able to sleep for slightly longer periods at a time, though certainly not as well as I could on my stomach.

Right before my surgery, I asked Dr. Ortiz when I could sleep on my stomach again, and he said whenever it is comfortable to do so. I don't remember exactly when I was able to start sleeping on my stomach again, but my guess is it will depend on each person.

I was banded in October and sleeping on my stomach is still not comfortable. I tried it for 2 days last week and I am still paying for it. My port has been killing me!! I have had to have a heating pad everyday since. So, If I were you, I would just get it out of my head for awhile. The only way I slept was on my tummy and obviously you get used to sleeping other ways.

I was banded dec 22...I dont sleep on my stomach but honestly even if I wanted to it would still be a bit uncomfortable. I feel totally back to normal exect every once in awhile Ill wake up wih my port area a little sore - and it gets that way if I lye on my left side...so its on my back or right side. Get creative with pillows just like the others said :)

I was never really told about the port flipping and I guess it makes sense. I was able to sleep on my tummy after 3 nights. I hope my port didn't flip. I must be one of those lucky people that either heals fast or pain just does not effect me. You never know you might be like that as well. Don't push yourself but you might be able to sleep on your tummy sooner than you think!

Prior to the surgery I was a mess worrying about all the little things, but I found this to be a lot easier then I thought. Try not to over think, relax and take it one night/day at a time.

Jenelle

HI,

Dr. Ortiz and the crew at OCC said I could sleep on my stomach when it was comfortable. I have been sleeping on my tummy since post op day 3 or 4 without any trouble. Sometimes if I sleep directly on my left "port" side, it feels tender, but otherwise, no problems. Good luck!!

:D

If you have a recliner, try sleeping in that for at least the first few days after surgery. Once you are feeling better then you can try sleeping on your stomach again. I sleep in a twisted position partially on my side and partially on my stomach. It took about two weeks after surgery before I could resume this position, but have been sleeping this way ever since without any problems.

Whatever you do, do not let this minor issue deter you from having the surgery. A little sleeplessness is a small price to pay for the future benefits you will receive from the band.

I am a stomach sleeper....I was on my side for 2 weeks, then back to my tummy due to my wonderful bed.

Buy a SLEEP number bed like I did...it's awesome!!