First Fill

I had my first fill at the occ on the 7th - last saturday

I got 2 cc in my 4 cc band.,...I have MAJOR restriction - WOW. But everyone is different of course. I now cant eat bread, noodles, brocolli - oh who am I fooling, I cant eat much of anything right now - Im on liquids due to a major pb session from some chinese noodles. But its also TOM and I have a really really bad cold - so I am looking forward to next week when I am a normal person again to see if I can eat a little better as well.

Let us know how it goes for you!

Good luck on your fill Christy. I will be going down to the OCC on friday for my first one. I am not expecting much in the way of restriction, considering I have the largest band, and from what I understand, it takes longer to get restriction. Hopefully, I have something though, because this week has been horrible in the way of eating, my appetite is back with a vengeance :(

Good Luck on your fills ladies! Mine is on Thursday at 2 up in Marysville, WA and I am not expecting much in the way of restriction but I hope I get something. My appetite is back with a vengeance as well. I can eat anything and everything almost the same as I used to, it sucks!

Good Luck on your fills ladies! Mine is on Thursday at 2 up in Marysville, WA and I am not expecting much in the way of restriction but I hope I get something. My appetite is back with a vengeance as well. I can eat anything and everything almost the same as I used to, it sucks!

It DOES suck!! I feel like I have really pigged out this week. I feel like I didn't even get the band, it's really weird. I guess I can blame my hunger on that TOM starting next week *sigh* I am actually looking forward to the 3 day liquid diet this weekend..lol. If anything it will give me a fresh start.

Good luck! :)

Same here! My dad is in town so we went out to dinner tonight and I ate pretty much the same meal that I used to. I don't even feel overly full either which is why it sucks so bad! I totally can't even tell i ever had surgery right now so I am just praying that I get some restriction on Thurs!! My TOM is next week too so I am battling that too, ugh!!

Good luck on your fill Christy. I will be going down to the OCC on friday for my first one. I am not expecting much in the way of restriction, considering I have the largest band, and from what I understand, it takes longer to get restriction. Hopefully, I have something though, because this week has been horrible in the way of eating, my appetite is back with a vengeance :(

Ask for an aggressive fill. I have the larger band too and although I got my first 2 fills at the OCC, they didn't do a thing. I am actually on my way back there right now for my 8th fill and a checkup. I'll be headed back home friday though so I won't see you. But, do not get discouraged and don't look at my number of fills. I am an unusual case and that is why I am going back for a look see. I just wish they would have been more aggressive with me in the beginning.

Ask for an aggressive fill. I have the larger band too and although I got my first 2 fills at the OCC, they didn't do a thing. I am actually on my way back there right now for my 8th fill and a checkup. I'll be headed back home friday though so I won't see you. But, do not get discouraged and don't look at my number of fills. I am an unusual case and that is why I am going back for a look see. I just wish they would have been more aggressive with me in the beginning.

I lost 12 lbs my first month with my first fill. I had great restriction!

I have been so hard on myself this past week, almost to the point of tears every night. The scale has been so mean to me, it hasn't moved in almost two weeks. I am glad to hear that I am not the only on going through this right now. My first fill is March 2 and it cant come soon enough. I have been able to eat everything and anything this past week and it makes me mad. I paid way to much to be able to eat like I did before I had the surgery.

I AM SO HAPPY TO HEAR THAT I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE! Thank you to everyone who has posted on this topic, I am so happy. I am going to have a great day now!

I'm hope they give me a good fill at the OCC, I am going to ask them to be aggressive! I live to far away to keep flying down there for fills, but money is no object when it comes to my health!

Have a good one,

Jenelle :D

Hey everyone

I have my first fill scheduled this week. I am super excited. Just curious -it seems like for the majority the first fill doesn't really do much. Is this really the case? How did everyone's go?

THANKS!

Hi,

I, too had no restriction with my first fill--I have a 4cc band and they put 2.0cc's in for the first one. However, I had great restriction with my second fill of an extra .8 in November. I just got my third fill this morning of an additional .2 for a total of 3.0cc's. Hopefully this one will last for awhile! Good Luck!

All this first fill talk got me thinkin'....need to schedule mine! So I called Dr. Kenneth Larson here in West Palm Beach, Florida (where I live). I go on March 2nd for the consult and fill. It is $285. ($!50 surgical consult fee and $135 fill fee) If I go later for follow up but do not get a fill for whatever reason, the visit is $100. That sounds about right from what Ive read. Do you guys agree? Oh and NO FLUORO! Should I be nervous? Kendra, the nurse at Dr. Larson's office, said that surgeons are trained to do fills blindly. She also said that 95% of fills are done with no xray...I didn't ask if that meant 95% of their patients or 95% of lap band patients everywhere. (I tend to think THEIR patients...as I read so many people get it WITH FLUORO under xray.) If there is a problem, then they bring me to the radiology department of the hospital they are next to for my fill under fluoro. I don't want to travel an hour south to Margate, Florida. Plus that Dr. wants to charge me $500 up front to become a patient then a few hundred for my visit and fill.

Oh and Kendra said to not expect much help with my food intake or appetite on the first fill. She said a 2nd fill could be done a few weeks later...I'm kinda worried about the money being laid out twice..but it is what it is... :)

Regards,

Jennifer

I just had my first fill Feb. 11th at OCC. I had Dr. Acosta. When I went in for my first fill I asked if I could have an agressive fill. He pretty much told me that he goes by what the x-ray shows as the barium goes through. Anyway to make a long story short, I received 1.4cc in a 4cc band. I haven't really felt any restriction until this morning when I was trying to eat a boiled egg. Some of you on here have said that sometimes a fill doesn't kick in for a couple of weeks. Maybe that is what has happened?

Earlier this week, even though it has been only 8 days since my fill, I was emotionally reacting to wanting food. It is definitely hard to kick all of those bad habits of why we ate.

All this first fill talk got me thinkin'....need to schedule mine! So I called Dr. Kenneth Larson here in West Palm Beach, Florida (where I live). I go on March 2nd for the consult and fill. It is $285. ($!50 surgical consult fee and $135 fill fee) If I go later for follow up but do not get a fill for whatever reason, the visit is $100. That sounds about right from what Ive read. Do you guys agree? Oh and NO FLUORO! Should I be nervous? Kendra, the nurse at Dr. Larson's office, said that surgeons are trained to do fills blindly. She also said that 95% of fills are done with no xray...I didn't ask if that meant 95% of their patients or 95% of lap band patients everywhere. (I tend to think THEIR patients...as I read so many people get it WITH FLUORO under xray.) If there is a problem, then they bring me to the radiology department of the hospital they are next to for my fill under fluoro. I don't want to travel an hour south to Margate, Florida. Plus that Dr. wants to charge me $500 up front to become a patient then a few hundred for my visit and fill.

Oh and Kendra said to not expect much help with my food intake or appetite on the first fill. She said a 2nd fill could be done a few weeks later...I'm kinda worried about the money being laid out twice..but it is what it is... :)

Regards,

Jennifer

I've been needing a fill. I've just been too busy and couldn't get back down to Mexico, so I went and saw a local doctor here, and he did mine no fluoro, 3cc's, it felt a lil' weird when he did it, but it's done, and I feel pretty okay. We'll see tomorrow how much restriction I have, he had me drink some water just after, and I could feel it, but it doesn't seem like too much. (I have the VG band)

Regards,

Jennifer

Jennifer,

I had my first fill scheduled with a local surgeon here and after I made the appointment, I told them I wanted to double check that they would use Fluoro because I told them I have had no checkups since being banded and I feel they need to look around and make sure everything looks ok and she flat out told me no, they never used xray unless there were problems. I told them I was more than willing to pay for it and she said the surgeon wouldn't do it. she told me I could schedule a $100 consult visit and ask the Dr if he would be willing to use xray but there was a 95% chance he would still say no and I told her I was NOT comfortable with that, that I wanted xray and if they couldn't do that, i would cancel. She told me to do what I felt comfortable with so I canceled and scheduled again with Fill Center USA in Ga and they do charge $150 more on the first visit than the previous Dr, my peace of mind will be worth it.

Good luck!!

I know a lot of you newer bandsters get frustrated about not getting an "aggressive" first fill. This is for your own good! When it's under flouro they can tell how quick the barium goes down and they base it on that. When I got my re-fill in Jan I was a little miffed I only got 1 cc. BUT when he was doing it under the flouro I could feel how slow it was and see it too. You just really have to trust them. Typically it will be 2 fills before most people get restriction. You really just have to accept it and plan the $ ahead. It's a drop in the bucket compared to the actual band price. Of course, that doesn't mean it's not annoying!! Just set yourself for it in your head and if you do have restriction, that's awesome.

I know a lot of you newer bandsters get frustrated about not getting an "aggressive" first fill. This is for your own good! When it's under flouro they can tell how quick the barium goes down and they base it on that. When I got my re-fill in Jan I was a little miffed I only got 1 cc. BUT when he was doing it under the flouro I could feel how slow it was and see it too. You just really have to trust them. Typically it will be 2 fills before most people get restriction. You really just have to accept it and plan the $ ahead. It's a drop in the bucket compared to the actual band price. Of course, that doesn't mean it's not annoying!! Just set yourself for it in your head and if you do have restriction, that's awesome.

:)

IT IS INTERESTING READING POST LIKE THESE KNOWING WHAT I'VE LEARNED OVER THE LAST SEVERAL YEARS. IT ALL TAKES TIMES, JUST LIKE IT TOOK TIME FOR ALL US TO GAIN THE WEIGHT, IT TAKES TIME TO TAKE IT OFF.... THE HEALTHY WAY

Well had my 1st fill today at NW Fill Management! The ladies were very nice and didn't mind that I had to bring my 1 year old with me! I did not have the flouro but I haven't had any problems since surgery so I didn't think it was necessary. They found my port pretty easily, I guess it was placed a little higher on the abdomen then usual but at any rate I had just a couple of pinches and then I was done! I am now sitting here with my tummy full of a small bowl of yummy tortilla soup!

I am a little nervous since I just don't know what to expect. Am I going to feel restriction or not? I can't tell yet so we'll see how the next few days go! The nice thing is that if I have no restriction from this that I can go back in 2 weeks and get a full cc more for only $50.

Anyways, that is how it went :) Hope everyone else's went great too!

Exactly what I was going to say!

My first fill I did lose any ability to eat any breads, but that was it. I could basically eat anything and everything, but I did have a lot smaller appetite than I had before, but I think that was b/c my stomach shrunk from my liquid diet.

Please give it time. If you do happen to get restriction from your first then you lucked out, but I would not plan on it. This is a process and so you have to believe in it and give it time. I am on fill 3 now and I do feel like I get full really fast and stay full, but can still eat most foods but bread. But of course everyone is different.

I hit a really bad plateua before my first fill, super hungry. I went to fill center USA in St Pete, FL. The ARNP gave me a 1.4 cc fill and I have had pretty good restriction with 5 pounds down since then-3 weeks ago (I can eat pasta now, but any kind of rice or eating too fast and I am in trouble!). I'm just taking it slow. I've had friends with really agressive fills who ended up PBing a lot and miserable. My plan is to keep my fill until I platuea for 4 weeks or start gaining.

I hit a really bad plateua before my first fill, super hungry. I went to fill center USA in St Pete, FL. The ARNP gave me a 1.4 cc fill and I have had pretty good restriction with 5 pounds down since then-3 weeks ago (I can eat pasta now, but any kind of rice or eating too fast and I am in trouble!). I'm just taking it slow. I've had friends with really agressive fills who ended up PBing a lot and miserable. My plan is to keep my fill until I platuea for 4 weeks or start gaining.

THAT'S A REALLY GREAT, HEALTHY PLAN

STICK WITH IT AND YOU'LL BE A HAPPY LOSING WINNER :)

wow - if only it were bread that caused my problems...I cant eat squat :( liquids for me for a few more days to see if things get better!

Ohh be careful hon...if that keeps up definitely get it checked out! Hope it loosens up a bit for you!