Restriction

So I think some of us are a little confused as to what restriction really is --- I hear them say I only feel restriction if I eat too fast or take too big of bites which of course hurts or gets stuck.... But I didnt think this was restriction, this is not following the guidelines.

I don't want to be in pain or throwing up to feel like I am getting restriction for the rest of my life .....

To me, isn't restriction the feeling of being full after a small amount of food becuase its taking longer for that food to go through your opening? And there should be no pain? And if its taking more food to get you full or your hungry too soon after eating, then you know you need another fill?

I just keep reading about all of this pain while eating and people saying its the only time they feel restriction and I dont think they truly understand....

Maybe I am wrong, I just had my first fill.... I'm going by what other people have said.

Restriction is exactly as you have said. If people are throwing up and having pain then either they got something stuck by eating too fast or not chewing enough or they are eating more than the band holds. If they are following the rules and are still having pain, then they are probably too full and need some fluid removed. I don't have pain or vomitting unless I take too huge of a sip of water without thinking and remembering to sip slowly.

So I think some of us are a little confused as to what restriction really is --- I hear them say I only feel restriction if I eat too fast or take too big of bites which of course hurts or gets stuck.... But I didnt think this was restriction, this is not following the guidelines.

I don't want to be in pain or throwing up to feel like I am getting restriction for the rest of my life .....

To me, isn't restriction the feeling of being full after a small amount of food becuase its taking longer for that food to go through your opening? And there should be no pain? And if its taking more food to get you full or your hungry too soon after eating, then you know you need another fill?

I just keep reading about all of this pain while eating and people saying its the only time they feel restriction and I dont think they truly understand....

Maybe I am wrong, I just had my first fill.... I'm going by what other people have said.

You are right Christy. Restriction is feeling full quicker and for longer periods of time. Those that are getting food stuck are not chewing correctly. You don't need hardly any restriction to swallow something large and get it stuck.

Too get something stuck is a terrible feeling. I irritated my band so far about a week everything I ate got stuck which just made the irritation worse. Getting things stuck can also loosen the band and for those people that vomit when things are stuck you can stretch the pouch. BE CAREFUL EVERYONE!

You are right Christy. Restriction is feeling full quicker and for longer periods of time. Those that are getting food stuck are not chewing correctly. You don't need hardly any restriction to swallow something large and get it stuck.

Too get something stuck is a terrible feeling. I irritated my band so far about a week everything I ate got stuck which just made the irritation worse. Getting things stuck can also loosen the band and for those people that vomit when things are stuck you can stretch the pouch. BE CAREFUL EVERYONE!

Yes Christy, the ladies are right. The purpose of restriction is to eat smaller portions, which would make you feel full quicker and hold off until the next meal. Food being stuck is because:

~ you took too big of a bite, which you should take small bites

~ you didn't chew well, which you should chew the dickens out of the food

~ you swallowed too quickly, which you should take the time to eat slowly and swallow when all food is chewed well

NOTE: Although we are all different and foods react differently for everyone. What one would be fine for you, the other will find it getting stuck and starts to PB and slime, etc. It's a trial in error on how you take to foods and is recommended to "try a small piece" and really chew it and take the time to enjoy this bite. Wait a few minutes and see how it reacts to you. If it went down with no problem, continue on. If it got stuck, then stop eating it. BUT, eat this food at another day and see if it agrees with you...if not, then this may be one of your "no no" foods to eat.

In addition, it depends how narrow or wide your esophagus (throat) is too. For me, I have a very narrow throat and after my 2nd fill, I have a total of 1.6cc fill in my 4cc band. This is MY sweet spot for the time being. But for another person, having a larger throat width, would probably have a larger fill than mine.

Hope this helps...

Take heed of Jazzy's NOTE. I have had difficulty with my second fill. I have learned that for me, I can eat salad. Some people can't. I have learned that for me, I cannot eat ground beef (hamburger patties, meat loaf, etc.) And, I cannot eat pinto beans. It doesn't matter how much I chew, it gets stuck without fail. However, I can eat the meatballs that you buy at Costco or Sam's Club because they are a different consistancy than ground beef meatballs that you make at home. It has become a favorite for me. I put four meatballs in the microwave with a little bit of Ragu sauce with a side of spinach leaves with a homemade dressing I make with a little bit of parmesean cheese. Everyone is so different. And, the trial and error of it is hard, but necessary in order to see what will and will not work with your band.

Kristy

Restriction is exactly as you have said. If people are throwing up and having pain then either they got something stuck by eating too fast or not chewing enough or they are eating more than the band holds. If they are following the rules and are still having pain, then they are probably too full and need some fluid removed. I don't have pain or vomitting unless I take too huge of a sip of water without thinking and remembering to sip slowly.

NOT necessarily true ALL the time. Christy, you need to realize that some days your band will be tighter than other days. I had my second fill Jan 7th and my restriction has been fine. But, this past Friday I was eating and I got to the 3rd bite (fried egg, so it slips through pretty easy) and on the third bite I felt the pain in my chest, followed by a PB 20 minutes later. It is important for everyone to know that you can follow the rules and these episodes occur. Your band can be really fickle at times and there is no explanation. I haven't been able to figure it out, 100% of the time. LOL

NOT necessarily true ALL the time. Christy, you need to realize that some days your band will be tighter than other days. I had my second fill Jan 7th and my restriction has been fine. But, this past Friday I was eating and I got to the 3rd bite (fried egg, so it slips through pretty easy) and on the third bite I felt the pain in my chest, followed by a PB 20 minutes later. It is important for everyone to know that you can follow the rules and these episodes occur. Your band can be really fickle at times and there is no explanation. I haven't been able to figure it out, 100% of the time. LOL

I agree 100% Dana! I do agree with most of what everyone else is saying, but coming from personal experience, I can say without a doubt that restriction can include a feeling of things getting 'stuck.' I definitely do not take big bites as I use a baby spoon and fork, and I chew all my food 30 times so its not cause I am not chewing thoroughly. I also do not drink fluids 30 min prior to a meal and for 45-60 min after the meal. I try not to snack between meals, and if I do I have 10 almonds as Dr. Miranda said that it is okay (I emailed her about it :D ). On my second and third fills I had a LOT of problems getting food down because I was TOO restricted. I did throw up a LOT and I was able to eat MAYBE 1-2 bites of solid foods. I went for an emergency visit to my Dr. in NYC and she said I was way too restricted which was causing me to throw up and despite chewing thoroughly and taking small bites, the restriction was just too much.

So... thats my 2 cents, for what its worth lol.

I agree 100% Dana! I do agree with most of what everyone else is saying, but coming from personal experience, I can say without a doubt that restriction can include a feeling of things getting 'stuck.' I definitely do not take big bites as I use a baby spoon and fork, and I chew all my food 30 times so its not cause I am not chewing thoroughly. I also do not drink fluids 30 min prior to a meal and for 45-60 min after the meal. I try not to snack between meals, and if I do I have 10 almonds as Dr. Miranda said that it is okay (I emailed her about it :D ). On my second and third fills I had a LOT of problems getting food down because I was TOO restricted. I did throw up a LOT and I was able to eat MAYBE 1-2 bites of solid foods. I went for an emergency visit to my Dr. in NYC and she said I was way too restricted which was causing me to throw up and despite chewing thoroughly and taking small bites, the restriction was just too much.

Thanks Carrie, I value inputs like this and I agree with you. I did have a 'feeling' when I thought I was stuck with a food and really, it was me being stressed over what I could eat. So, the trial in error plays into the stress syndrome too if you let it, which obviously it did to me, because I was thinking, "Can I eat that?" before I ate and also, while I was eating. Yes, stress can react instantly. But, like I said, listen to your body and know the signs. It's all part of re-learning how to eat healthier and really, this is a good thing to know. There are w-a-y too many other food substitutes to enjoy as well.

I agree with everyone also! It is just sometimes the body does weird things with our bands! So, as long as we are all doing what we are supposed to do, I think we will be fine. It is frustrating though when you chew your food to oblivion and it still gets stuck! lol BUT, I wouldn't trade it for anything. I love my band!! I have my 3rd fill March 9 to have everything checked out. Not sure if he will want to give me a fill or not. We will see....