Getting frustrated even tho I read this can be normal

I am down 15 lbs. Just under 10 lbs was pre op loss. The post op liquid diet provided the other 5 lb loss.

I've read on here that it is normal to not lose before your first fill. I've been able to eat pretty much everthing and in any quantity. The coordinator (Lori) and others have said that there will be very little restriction and I will be able to eat pretty normally during this time {after the liquid diet ends and before you are allowed your first fill}. I'm not too worried about strectching my pouch, as no one (clinically involved) ever said or provided information saying that was a concern during these few weeks. But in the back of my mind, of course, I think I'm failing this band just like every other attempt at weight loss in the past 20 years.

I see some on here that have lost 10 additional or even 20 additional pounds before their first fills. I am so jealous! I feel completely normal except the few times I feel food in my esophagus but it just takes a few minutes for it to finally pass thru. I have had the saliva build up and have to spit for periods of time. This can happen with my first bite of something so its not that I'm stuffed to the gills. Its not always. More often than not, I can eat pretty much the same as before banding. Yes, I'm making decent food choices. Not perfect but not gluttonous, either.

I want to hear from everyone but I'm especially interested in people like Lisa and others who are at maintenance or with very little left to lose. Were you just gung ho from the beginning? Just dropping weight even before your first fill? Are the people who didn't lose before their first fill the ones who are only at 30-40% of their weight loss goals?

One other issue - I am drinking with my meals! I know its a huge no no...but its almost impossible to get in your liquids if you are to wait 30 minutes before you eat and an hour after you eat. Thats 6 hours of no drinking a day! (1.5 hours of no drinking due to meal time limitation on liquid intake plus 30 minutes meal time itself x3 is how I get 6 hours.)

I am drinking because I am thristy and it is hard to ONLY have solids...how do you guys deal with that? I guess I"m washing food thru my band and that is why I can eat normally? As well as no fill?

I just want to feel good again, like I did the first 5 weeks (2 weeks pre op and 3 weeks post op was WONDEFUL!) I feel back to "big ole Jen just eating away!"

OH AND I KNOW THIS IS A TOOL A TOOL A TOOL A TOOL AND NOT MAGIC! Please do not reply with that. So far I feel ZERO ASSISTANCE from this tool.

I hope others are nodding and saying..yep, I've been there...but now filled, I'm dropping weight and feel silly for having such little faith in this band...

hm- about drinking...the OCC doctors told me I can drink right up to my meal - then once you start eating dont drink for an hour - so Id double check on that one if I were you....otherwise - that could be a BIG reason you are having a hard time because yup - you are probably washing everything right though (I think).

As for the other questions - Im going to let others answer - cuz I need a nap zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz had a long day of driving

I am down 15 lbs. Just under 10 lbs was pre op loss. The post op liquid diet provided the other 5 lb loss.

I've read on here that it is normal to not lose before your first fill. I've been able to eat pretty much everthing and in any quantity. The coordinator (Lori) and others have said that there will be very little restriction and I will be able to eat pretty normally during this time {after the liquid diet ends and before you are allowed your first fill}. I'm not too worried about strectching my pouch, as no one (clinically involved) ever said or provided information saying that was a concern during these few weeks. But in the back of my mind, of course, I think I'm failing this band just like every other attempt at weight loss in the past 20 years.

I see some on here that have lost 10 additional or even 20 additional pounds before their first fills. I am so jealous! I feel completely normal except the few times I feel food in my esophagus but it just takes a few minutes for it to finally pass thru. I have had the saliva build up and have to spit for periods of time. This can happen with my first bite of something so its not that I'm stuffed to the gills. Its not always. More often than not, I can eat pretty much the same as before banding. Yes, I'm making decent food choices. Not perfect but not gluttonous, either.

I want to hear from everyone but I'm especially interested in people like Lisa and others who are at maintenance or with very little left to lose. Were you just gung ho from the beginning? Just dropping weight even before your first fill? Are the people who didn't lose before their first fill the ones who are only at 30-40% of their weight loss goals?

One other issue - I am drinking with my meals! I know its a huge no no...but its almost impossible to get in your liquids if you are to wait 30 minutes before you eat and an hour after you eat. Thats 6 hours of no drinking a day! (1.5 hours of no drinking due to meal time limitation on liquid intake plus 30 minutes meal time itself x3 is how I get 6 hours.)

I am drinking because I am thristy and it is hard to ONLY have solids...how do you guys deal with that? I guess I"m washing food thru my band and that is why I can eat normally? As well as no fill?

I just want to feel good again, like I did the first 5 weeks (2 weeks pre op and 3 weeks post op was WONDEFUL!) I feel back to "big ole Jen just eating away!"

OH AND I KNOW THIS IS A TOOL A TOOL A TOOL A TOOL AND NOT MAGIC! Please do not reply with that. So far I feel ZERO ASSISTANCE from this tool.

I hope others are nodding and saying..yep, I've been there...but now filled, I'm dropping weight and feel silly for having such little faith in this band...

We have ALL been there. THis is completely normal and you should stop stressing over it. You will lose after you have your fill.

You absolutely MUST stop drinking with your meals or you are going to stretch your pouch and ruin your surgery. There is a reason to stop drinking with your meals and that is it. If you have to, then drink (or rather sip) right up until your meal and then one hour after. You don't need to wait 30 minutes before but you do need to wait an hour after.

I too, got sick of being told it is a tool, I already knew that and didn't need daily reminders. I also understand your frustration at having a tool that isn't working, but it will. It is too early but once you get a fill, might even be your 2nd fill, it will start to work. Be patient.

And by the sound of it, if you are sliming, then the band does seem to be doing something, or at the very least you still have some swelling. Just try to be patient, it will come.

Thanks for the input! :)

hm- about drinking...the OCC doctors told me I can drink right up to my meal - then once you start eating dont drink for an hour - so Id double check on that one if I were you....otherwise - that could be a BIG reason you are having a hard time because yup - you are probably washing everything right though (I think).

As for the other questions - Im going to let others answer - cuz I need a nap zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz had a long day of driving

Ahhh Ramona, thanks! I appreciate your support. :)

I WILL STOP DRINKING WITH MEALS, promise! :) I knew it was bad, but I'm still not quite sure if it will stretch my pouch or just wash the food thru too quickly to keep the feeing of fullness. OR BOTH? Hmm..

But thanks again, I will look forward to my first and second fills to get me jump started again. I appreciate this board so much.

We have ALL been there. THis is completely normal and you should stop stressing over it. You will lose after you have your fill.

You absolutely MUST stop drinking with your meals or you are going to stretch your pouch and ruin your surgery. There is a reason to stop drinking with your meals and that is it. If you have to, then drink (or rather sip) right up until your meal and then one hour after. You don't need to wait 30 minutes before but you do need to wait an hour after.

I too, got sick of being told it is a tool, I already knew that and didn't need daily reminders. I also understand your frustration at having a tool that isn't working, but it will. It is too early but once you get a fill, might even be your 2nd fill, it will start to work. Be patient.

And by the sound of it, if you are sliming, then the band does seem to be doing something, or at the very least you still have some swelling. Just try to be patient, it will come.

Jenn, I know how you feel! I'm not going to tell you anything you don't already know. You are beautiful and strong, the weight will come off.

I have been a worry wort for the last three weeks as I have lost only 3 maybe 4 pounds since starting the solid food stage prior to my first fill. I too feel as though I can eat and eat and not get full! Although I am not eating as much as before my surgery! I am going back to OCC for my first fill on monday and can't wait to hear from them that this was all normal and I had nothing to worry about! When do you go for your first fill?

Just remember you are strong and beautiful, determined, and willing to do anything to lose this weight otherwise you wouldn't of had the surgery ;) you can do this it just takes time!

When I'm frustrated I love to take hot bubbles baths!

I hope you have a good night. Wish you the best,

Jenelle

Hugs to you.

I have been reading the boards to prepare for my surgery. I have a question for you, prior to opting for the band, I lost over 80 lbs BUT in July I lost my motivation (due to a dozen reasons) and the weight flew back on VERY VERY VERY quickly. I gained 50 lbs. Ironically enough, I was then eligible for lap band.

So my question is, how stable was your weight prior to the surgery? Did you struggle to keep your weight balanced? In the past, the first few weeks of a diet did you lose quickly or slow and steady?

I was totally on top of things in the beginning, and at first I wasn’t losing a lot of weight and then I realized I was taking in a ton of salt –and I was retaining water – a lot of those broth and soups we eat are really salty – once I got into the low salt and I added B-6 into my diet I started dropping more weight. (And I had to drink more water) I wasn't getting enough since we have to drink little sips through the day at first. You most likely are losing our bodies do a lot of weird things when we change so drastically and you’ll find that you have times when you don’t lose for a long period – then you drop 10 pounds quickly.

I’m really focused on watching what I eat and also when I started eating solids I was really on top of measuring my food and teaching myself what amount was appropriate.

Good luck – it’ll work for you – this is the hardest part!

I stayed exactly the same weight b/t the end of liquid diet until my first fill and my doctor actually applauded me for that saying a lot of people gain, so that was a plus. Between 1st and 2nd I did pretty well, but even when i've been on a diet in the past I did great at first and then after about 4 or 5 mos is when I lost any willpower I had. So I wasn't too surprised I lost then. But again it was only 4 lbs if I remember right. Between 2nd and 3rd I lost a lot, but mind you I got pneumonia! So I can't take a lot of credit for it! :wacko:

Now you have to remember, this band is a to....um I mean blessing! (Sorry, just me being a turd!)

You know it's so hard....the band works so different from person to person. I finally had to stop comparing myself to others and just make sure every day i'm doing what they tell me do to and just trust the band. Now, have I been the perfect bandster every day - hell no! But none of us are perfect so when you eat not so good just brush it off and move on. I fully believe this roller coaster ride we are on is an addiction for many of us and will take time to heal our whole selves - mentally and physically. So savor the weight you have lost and then changes you have made in your life! You have done a GREAT job and have accomplished a lot! Be proud of what you have done! You rock!

Ahhh Ramona, thanks! I appreciate your support. :)

I WILL STOP DRINKING WITH MEALS, promise! :) I knew it was bad, but I'm still not quite sure if it will stretch my pouch or just wash the food thru too quickly to keep the feeing of fullness. OR BOTH? Hmm..

But thanks again, I will look forward to my first and second fills to get me jump started again. I appreciate this board so much.

I asked Dr. O about drinking with meals and stretching the pouch, he said it has not been proven. That is also what my fill doctor said here in Dallas. If you google it, you will not find anything about it stretching your pouch. It makes sense that it COULD, but there are no medical findings that I know of to date. We just don't need to as we will obviously be able to eat more.

Hey Jennifer

I know how you feel!!!! I have only lost 7 pounds since SURGERY. That includes the liquid diet!!!! I started back to the gym last week and I swear my body just wants to hold on soooo tightly to this weight on me! I weighed 235 on surgery day and 228 on my fill day. GREAT :(

Hopefully once you get your fill, you will do better. I had mine last Saturday and so far so good on the solids. I get satisfied quickly with food. But get this - Today I actually got MAD at my stomach, I was so hungry and I got so full so quick and I wanted to keep eating! I was mad that I couldn't eat more - how messed up is that?????? lol

Just keep going by your guidelines and stop the drinking with meals, i've done it occasionally too but realized it was letting me eat more and thats not the point of the band - so I stopped. I do drink all the way up till the minute of eating though because I usually swallow a vitamin or some other supplement that has to be taken with food right before I start eating. I wait atleast 45 mins after eating to drink anything.

Good luck and dont give up - you can do this :)

Jennifer,

I made a post similar to yours my second week of solids, so I know exactly where you are coming from. It's get very frustrating! I am on day 4 of my first fill, and I have lost almost 5 lbs. I had lost faith in the band during those weeks after starting solids, and started to question why I even did this, but all that changed once I got my fill. I know most on here say they don't feel restriction on their first fill or sometimes even second, but I know I am feeling restriction, and it's great. I am loving eating so much less and being satisfied and not being hungry again until 5 or 6 hours later (if even that) So my point is, just hang in there, don't give up!!! :)

I asked Dr. O about drinking with meals and stretching the pouch, he said it has not been proven. That is also what my fill doctor said here in Dallas. If you google it, you will not find anything about it stretching your pouch. It makes sense that it COULD, but there are no medical findings that I know of to date. We just don't need to as we will obviously be able to eat more.

Geez, then I wonder why Dr. Ortiz, Dr. Martinez, Dr. So, Dr. Acosta, Dr. Romero and Dr. Miranda told me that drinking with meals is an absolute no-no and can stretch your band, as can eating too much.

It was explained to me this way - when food is in your pouch and you drink on top of it, nothing goes through and the extra space the liquid is taking up is forcing the band to stretch to be able to fit the liquid.

This is one of the main rules of lap band life.

Geez, then I wonder why Dr. Ortiz, Dr. Martinez, Dr. So, Dr. Acosta, Dr. Romero and Dr. Miranda told me that drinking with meals is an absolute no-no and can stretch your band, as can eating too much.

It was explained to me this way - when food is in your pouch and you drink on top of it, nothing goes through and the extra space the liquid is taking up is forcing the band to stretch to be able to fit the liquid.

This is one of the main rules of lap band life.

I don't know Mona, it was explanied to me that you will eat more as the food washes through the band so it defeats the purpse because you will eat more. Not trying to "start anything" here. That is just what I was told and I researched online before my surgery. It is true, you won't find anything about stretching your pouch. Like I said, they say they expect it COULD. Which makes sense, so why should we test it? I struggled with liquids at meals at the begining, I don't think people should live in fear about stretching their band. Even if this could happen, I would expect it would take MANY MANY times of doing it. I doubt a few times at the begining of adusting wit your new life would hurt a person.

Jenelle - first off, pretty name! I like it!

I really appreciate your kind words. I am getting my fill this coming MONDAY! 3/2/09 I'm excited, scared, etc. :) So we are getting are fill the SAME DAY! However, I'm getting mine here in West Palm Beach, Florida (where I live). I cannot really afford to go back to the OCC like I'd love to! Good for you, tho! Awesome! You must tell me all about your first fill experience, ok?? We CAN do this! :) Hugss...Jen

(Oh and I have this really strange thing about wet shower walls - I cannot stand to touch them, even on accident! It is the only weird 'phobia' I have! lol - no idea why! So no bubble baths for me!) :D

Jenn, I know how you feel! I'm not going to tell you anything you don't already know. You are beautiful and strong, the weight will come off.

I have been a worry wort for the last three weeks as I have lost only 3 maybe 4 pounds since starting the solid food stage prior to my first fill. I too feel as though I can eat and eat and not get full! Although I am not eating as much as before my surgery! I am going back to OCC for my first fill on monday and can't wait to hear from them that this was all normal and I had nothing to worry about! When do you go for your first fill?

Just remember you are strong and beautiful, determined, and willing to do anything to lose this weight otherwise you wouldn't of had the surgery ;) you can do this it just takes time!

When I'm frustrated I love to take hot bubbles baths!

I hope you have a good night. Wish you the best,

Jenelle

Jennifer, I could have wrote your same post myself!! I am 10 days behind you and I have only lost 10 pounds total since my surgery. I have not dropped one single ounce since starting solids.. I realize now that this is why I didn't really want to tell anyone about my surgery, because I know that I had HUGE expectations for my weightloss and I know that all my family and friends would too. So seeing that I've only lost 10 pounds in 5 weeks, I didn't won't to hear the "I told you so's"..

I have really tried to remain positive and not get stuck on comparing myself to everybody else. But it's hard not to look at what everybody else has lost at the same point I am at not be frustrated with myself!! I know that I have got to start exercising if I expect to get some more weight off..

I do somehow have some restriction, because I definitely cannot eat as much as I used to and I am getting full faster. I'm beginning to think that maybe my body is in starvation mode and is holding on to everything I am eating. I put my food intake into my spark people account and some days I am only getting 800 calories a day.

I guess the biggest place we differ is that I have somehow managed to not drink while I eat. What I do is to just not keep the things that I like to drink in the house, that way I'm not tempted. I do agree with you that this makes it harder to get all your water in for the day, but that's just life. Some days I am too busy to walk around with a water bottle in my hand. And just for the record, Dr. Martinez, Dr. Miranda and my local fill doctor all told me that drinking while eating will help the food slide through the pouch easier, but it will not stretch your band, so go figure!!

Anyway, thanks for posting this thread Jenn and I hope for both our sakes that this - dare I say it - tool will start working soon so I don't feel like this was all in vain!!

PS: Your picture is beautiful!! You are a really beautiful girl!!

Jennifer, I could have wrote your same post myself!! I am 10 days behind you and I have only lost 10 pounds total since my surgery. I have not dropped one single ounce since starting solids.. I realize now that this is why I didn't really want to tell anyone about my surgery, because I know that I had HUGE expectations for my weightloss and I know that all my family and friends would too. So seeing that I've only lost 10 pounds in 5 weeks, I didn't won't to hear the "I told you so's"..

I have really tried to remain positive and not get stuck on comparing myself to everybody else. But it's hard not to look at what everybody else has lost at the same point I am at not be frustrated with myself!! I know that I have got to start exercising if I expect to get some more weight off..

I do somehow have some restriction, because I definitely cannot eat as much as I used to and I am getting full faster. I'm beginning to think that maybe my body is in starvation mode and is holding on to everything I am eating. I put my food intake into my spark people account and some days I am only getting 800 calories a day.

I guess the biggest place we differ is that I have somehow managed to not drink while I eat. What I do is to just not keep the things that I like to drink in the house, that way I'm not tempted. I do agree with you that this makes it harder to get all your water in for the day, but that's just life. Some days I am too busy to walk around with a water bottle in my hand. And just for the record, Dr. Martinez, Dr. Miranda and my local fill doctor all told me that drinking while eating will help the food slide through the pouch easier, but it will not stretch your band, so go figure!!

Anyway, thanks for posting this thread Jenn and I hope for both our sakes that this - dare I say it - tool will start working soon so I don't feel like this was all in vain!!

PS: Your picture is beautiful!! You are a really beautiful girl!!

I am so glad I am not the only one. I was beginning to think I was nuts. LOL :)

Hang in there, we have all gone thru the dreaded "Bandster Hell"!

It is that time between surgery and your first GOOD fill.

I say GOOD fill because it took 3 fills for me to even know what restriction felt like. I was banded 6-6-08 and did not get restriction until late August.

Then my body went into a platue!!! But all and all, the band is such a help. It will keep you from binging. I have only lost 40 pounds, but someone who got banded with me has lost OVER 100 so far.

Listen to your body and keep doing what you are doing, you might have lost a ton of inches, how do your clothes feel?

Keep up the good work and I hope you get a good fill on the 3rd.

Thanks Jen,

Sorry to hear that bubble baths are out of the question for you! I will fill you in on my fill, ha ha :P ! On Tuesday when I get home. I cant afford to go back to the OCC either, but there is no doctors where i live that will take me as a patient now that I have had my surgery out of the country.

So I have cut back on other things in order to go back to the clinic!

This is great we can lean on each other,

All the best on Monday,

Jenelle ><' hugs to you too!

When I went for my first fill after being banded, one of the first things Dr. Romero asked was if I had been eating and drinking at the same time because my pouch was "a little bit stretched." I could see what he was talking about on the flouroscope. I had been eating and drinking together some times but by no means had I been doing it every time and still he noticed a difference. Needless to say, I no longer drink and eat at the same time regardless of what the research says, I saw what he was talking about with my own two eyes. To me, it is just not worth taking the chance of ruining my band.

I usually wait 45 mintues to 1 hour to eat after meals but sometimes I need to wait longer than that because it is uncomfortable (painful) to drink. I do not know if there is still food in the upper pouch and the liquid is backing up behind it but that is what it feels like.

I had no restriction by the end of the 6 week period between surgery and my first fill. I could eat just as I had before surgery. Hang in there, you have to get some restriction going before you can really begin to see how the band will work for you.

Good luck

Dawn

When I went for my first fill after being banded, one of the first things Dr. Romero asked was if I had been eating and drinking at the same time because my pouch was "a little bit stretched." I could see what he was talking about on the flouroscope. I had been eating and drinking together some times but by no means had I been doing it every time and still he noticed a difference. Needless to say, I no longer drink and eat at the same time regardless of what the research says, I saw what he was talking about with my own two eyes. To me, it is just not worth taking the chance of ruining my band.

I usually wait 45 mintues to 1 hour to eat after meals but sometimes I need to wait longer than that because it is uncomfortable (painful) to drink. I do not know if there is still food in the upper pouch and the liquid is backing up behind it but that is what it feels like.

I had no restriction by the end of the 6 week period between surgery and my first fill. I could eat just as I had before surgery. Hang in there, you have to get some restriction going before you can really begin to see how the band will work for you.

Good luck

Dawn

I am going for my 3rd Fill on March 9th and CAN NOT wait! The scale is not budging! It is frustrating! I have good restriction some days, but other days, I feel I can eat too much!

I lost and gained the same 50 lbs for about 10 yrs. Then the last five years - stable weight - well it kept slowly creeping up each year. No diets worked. I am a compulsive overeater so a diet I started in the morning was completely blown by 11am!

Hugs to you!!

Hugs to you.

I have been reading the boards to prepare for my surgery. I have a question for you, prior to opting for the band, I lost over 80 lbs BUT in July I lost my motivation (due to a dozen reasons) and the weight flew back on VERY VERY VERY quickly. I gained 50 lbs. Ironically enough, I was then eligible for lap band.

So my question is, how stable was your weight prior to the surgery? Did you struggle to keep your weight balanced? In the past, the first few weeks of a diet did you lose quickly or slow and steady?

I'll look into getting more B-6. I DO need to weigh the foods I eat. Thanks for the reminder!

I was totally on top of things in the beginning, and at first I wasn’t losing a lot of weight and then I realized I was taking in a ton of salt –and I was retaining water – a lot of those broth and soups we eat are really salty – once I got into the low salt and I added B-6 into my diet I started dropping more weight. (And I had to drink more water) I wasn't getting enough since we have to drink little sips through the day at first. You most likely are losing our bodies do a lot of weird things when we change so drastically and you’ll find that you have times when you don’t lose for a long period – then you drop 10 pounds quickly.

I’m really focused on watching what I eat and also when I started eating solids I was really on top of measuring my food and teaching myself what amount was appropriate.

Good luck – it’ll work for you – this is the hardest part!

Shelby, you are soo funny! (to...um I mean blessing!) haha ;)

But yes, you are right, most of us are addicts and the others probably just haven't admitted that part yet. Overeaters Anonymous meetings helped me to realize I am a compulsive overeater. I want to heal mentally, physically and spiritually. Great post and thank you for the support!

I stayed exactly the same weight b/t the end of liquid diet until my first fill and my doctor actually applauded me for that saying a lot of people gain, so that was a plus. Between 1st and 2nd I did pretty well, but even when i've been on a diet in the past I did great at first and then after about 4 or 5 mos is when I lost any willpower I had. So I wasn't too surprised I lost then. But again it was only 4 lbs if I remember right. Between 2nd and 3rd I lost a lot, but mind you I got pneumonia! So I can't take a lot of credit for it! :wacko:

Now you have to remember, this band is a to....um I mean blessing! (Sorry, just me being a turd!)

You know it's so hard....the band works so different from person to person. I finally had to stop comparing myself to others and just make sure every day i'm doing what they tell me do to and just trust the band. Now, have I been the perfect bandster every day - hell no! But none of us are perfect so when you eat not so good just brush it off and move on. I fully believe this roller coaster ride we are on is an addiction for many of us and will take time to heal our whole selves - mentally and physically. So savor the weight you have lost and then changes you have made in your life! You have done a GREAT job and have accomplished a lot! Be proud of what you have done! You rock!