Excercise

does anyone know when it's okay to start excercising after getting the band? For some reason either 3 weeks or 3 months sticks in my mind?

You have to wait 3 months to do any ab workouts. (I waited 5). I began briskly walking after 3 weeks & started on my elliptical at 5 weeks. I think you should do what is comfortable to you, just don't lift anything real heavy for awhile.

You have to wait 3 months to do any ab workouts. (I waited 5). I began briskly walking after 3 weeks & started on my elliptical at 5 weeks. I think you should do what is comfortable to you, just don't lift anything real heavy for awhile.

Unless it has changed since I was banded in Oct 08, you could do full brisk walks after 3 weeks and then after 3 months, the heavier core (like your abs and stomach area). You need time for the surgery itself to heal properly as well as any swelling inside. Also, you don't want to risk band slippage if you move or twist around too much, too quick. Don't be in too much of a rush. Walking is the best exercises the first 3 months.

i was banded Jan 8, 09 and was told 3 weeks to exercise and at that point i could do crunches as well. She marked out the 'no ab work" and said that had changed because it wont hurt anything like they once thought. I've been doing abs since about 4 weeks post op as well as working out hard with my trainer including running, etc I was perfectly fine during my first fill. My fill dr encouraged exercise.

PS. Dr Miranda encouraged 'hard core" exercise as well after 3 weeks. she siad thats what she considered 'real' exercise, not just some walking around.

If you feel good, go for it. It will just make you feel even better.