Hair Loss

I was banded at the end of February. Within a short amount of time I noticed my hair started falling out. I asked Dr. Acosta about it and he said that shouldn't be happening. Has this happened to anyone else? If so, what are you taking to help?

I was banded at the end of February. Within a short amount of time I noticed my hair started falling out. I asked Dr. Acosta about it and he said that shouldn't be happening. Has this happened to anyone else? If so, what are you taking to help?

YES!!!!I am losing all my hair too, I was banded in December, I have been using NIOXIN, shampoo but the truth is it

is not helping that much. I would love some advice from bandsters that have had this problem...

I was loosing hair about three months after surgery even without major weight loss at the time. It has now stopped even though am losing now. I asked the Dr and he reminded me that the anesthetic itself can cause some hair loss in the few months after surgery, which actually did happen to me with a surgery I had over 10 years ago.

That said you need to make sure you are getting enough protein and your multivitamins. Hair loss is common for any type of drastic weightloss. My best friend lost over 60 lbs through WW (and maintained it) and experienced significant hair loss during her weight loss. It grew back after though.

I'm not sure what, if any products work but I think you can get prescriptions for things from you doctor if it continues.

Louise

Protein protein protein!!!!! That will help that out a lot. Very typical side effect of the weight loss.

I agree with what everyone else has said .....PROTEIN!!!! I just posted this information on the protein shake thread, but I started the shakes and my hair loss stopped!!! I can't stress how important it is for so many functions with regards to our pathophysiology. Anyway, I also started taking GNC's hair, nail and skin vits and that helped too. GOOD LUCK. I looked online and found out how many grams of protein I was supposed to be getting daily and try to aim for that. You might want to try it as well. ;)

I agree with what everyone else has said .....PROTEIN!!!! I just posted this information on the protein shake thread, but I started the shakes and my hair loss stopped!!! I can't stress how important it is for so many functions with regards to our pathophysiology. Anyway, I also started taking GNC's hair, nail and skin vits and that helped too. GOOD LUCK. I looked online and found out how many grams of protein I was supposed to be getting daily and try to aim for that. You might want to try it as well. ;)

nursemom, where online did you find out how much protein you should have? was it something calculated from your personal details or is it just a set range. Dr. Miranda told me there's no need to go over 50-60g a day, but i'm starting to wonder if i should increase that to stop the hair loss...

Thanks for posting this question.

A few years ago i was diagnosed with anorexia, I lost 30 kilos in only 2 months, i also lost half of my hair.

2 years later I gained a lot of weight and became the way I am now, very obese.. So after a lot of debate i got the lapband.

Now ive only lost 2 or 3 kilos in 4 months! Not very happy as i thought the weight woud be coming off a lot faster, however I like you am losing hair. In GREAT HANDFULLS! AGAIN! Its so distressing, last time i saw a trichologyst about it and he reccomeded biotin as mentioned above, as well as herbal and organic shampoos etc which helped. Its good to know though that im not alone this time.

Good luck x

nursemom, where online did you find out how much protein you should have? was it something calculated from your personal details or is it just a set range. Dr. Miranda told me there's no need to go over 50-60g a day, but i'm starting to wonder if i should increase that to stop the hair loss...

Babe,

I think other people have looked this up as well as I have seen the threads on here, but I think I googled "protein requirements daily calculation" or something like that. I THINK it is like 1gram/kg of body weight but don't quote me like that. My sister is a professional athlete and she tries to get like 100 grams/day but I aim for 60-65. I am not an athlete or a burn patient so I don't need tons of protein. I weigh 187. You might want to try the shakes for a month and see what happens. Can't hurt...... ;)

Babe,

I think other people have looked this up as well as I have seen the threads on here, but I think I googled "protein requirements daily calculation" or something like that. I THINK it is like 1gram/kg of body weight but don't quote me like that. My sister is a professional athlete and she tries to get like 100 grams/day but I aim for 60-65. I am not an athlete or a burn patient so I don't need tons of protein. I weigh 187. You might want to try the shakes for a month and see what happens. Can't hurt...... ;)

I found that this calculator is helpful...not just for protein, but lots of other things as well:

http://www.healthcalculators.org/calculators/protein.asp

Thanks for posting this question.

A few years ago i was diagnosed with anorexia, I lost 30 kilos in only 2 months, i also lost half of my hair.

2 years later I gained a lot of weight and became the way I am now, very obese.. So after a lot of debate i got the lapband.

Now ive only lost 2 or 3 kilos in 4 months! Not very happy as i thought the weight woud be coming off a lot faster, however I like you am losing hair. In GREAT HANDFULLS! AGAIN! Its so distressing, last time i saw a trichologyst about it and he reccomeded biotin as mentioned above, as well as herbal and organic shampoos etc which helped. Its good to know though that im not alone this time.

Good luck x

I have also noticed quite a bit of hair falling out when I shampoo. I am positive it lack of protien. I was told unless I get 60grams a day it will fall out and it is. I am not getting that because I am eating sliders like chips. I am doing protien shakes tomorrow morning.