Vitamin D Deficiency

So I got all my bloodwork back and I have been identified as being 'almost' severly deficient

30-150ng/mL is the normal range and I am at a 17 ng

Since I am curious about this and will not be able to speak with my dr until Monday, has anyone else found out they are Vitamin D deficient also?

What have you done to remedy it?

Did you feel differently after you began Vitamin D supplementation?

Did you get shots? or use pills?

What is the difference?

I found this shocking as laying in the sun has become a primary job to me...so I am thinking it has to be that I am not absorbing it somehow internally.

thanks for jumping in on this!

Okay, this is quite a coincidence! I just had an appointment Wednesday to go over my blood work. I am low in Calcium and Vit D. My doctor told me that I need to take 600mg a day of C & D. Well, here is the good news. I went to the grocery store and scanned the vitamins. The last thing I want to take is another pill. Low and behold there is something called "Vita Chews" they are calcium and D. They are only 500mg. But they are chewy chocolate pieces that taste delicious. They also come in a few different flavors. I have been told to take C & D three times a day. It will be interesting to see what your doctor says.

Anne

You know, I just saw an episode of Oprah last week and she had a doctor on. The doctor said that many people are deficient in Vitamin D. He said our bodies absorb it through sunshine and that it only takes about 10 minutes of sunshine a day but because we have gotten so good at using sunscreen and covering up, we are not getting enough now. I thought we were still supplementing the milk with Vitamin D. I will have to check my milk carton I guess!

He recommended taking Vitamn D, 500 IU twice a day. I take a multi-vitamin with 800 IU and I also take a vitamin D supplement with 125 IU plus calcuim and magnesium. He said to take the calcuim with magnesium to avoid constipation.

I'm NOT a good pill taker so I have been hit and miss on all of this stuff but I am beginning to make a consistent effort with all of it now. I do not feel any different yet. Living in Southern California, I doubt that I am deficient in Vit D but staying OUT of the sun is a daily job for me.

Hey, let us know if you feel different when you get your Vitamin D back up into the normal range. You can look it all up on Oprah's website too, the information is broken down into age ranges there.

Dawn

You guys-- I had/have the same thing. My endocrinologist prescribed Vitamin D from the pharmacy. I got 7 pills of Vitamin D that were 20,000 iu's each. I was to take one pill every other day until they were gone, and go back and get my level checked again. I went from severly deficiient to borderline deficiient! My point is that I think it takes quite a bit to get back to the "normal" range. My doctor said that with all the sunscreen that we slather on ourselves--and it is even in our creams and makeup--that we are preventing ourselves from making the Vit D using the sunlight exposure route. I have been taking a Vit D supplement (every other day) that I found at Walgreen's that is 2000 iu's to get my level back into the normal range. I go back in Sept for blood work and I will see then if I am getting anywhere with this. I will tell you that I don't remember feeling any measureable difference when I was taking the high-dose Vitamim D that I got as a prescription.

good info.

on the report it states that I need to take 4000 units 2x daily and then repeat my bloodwork

(MORE pills I have to remember taking...*aarg)

the weird thing is that I am a sun addict and have been laying out in it nearly daily (weather permitting)

I do NOT use sunscreen...just a bit of hawaiin tropic (zero spf) or coconut willies from hawaii (100% pure coconut oil used as a moisturizer and tanning aid)...please don't lecture me about the sun, yes...I know it can be bad, etc.

how in the heck would someone like me be Vit D deficient (?)

I dread taking more pills and supplements. Has anyone had a shot? I thought I read out there somewhere that shots are offered.

oh, one last thing. I found this tidbit of information:

Some other health problems from being Vitamin D deficiency could cause include heart disease, chronic pain, Fibromyalgia, hypertension, arthritis, depression, inflammatory bowel disease, obesity, PMS, Crohns Disease, cancer, MS and other autoimmune diseases.

Now I am wondering if this is what is causing my plateau for the past several months....

I will sure be asking on Monday

I am deficient in Vitamin D, Vitamin B12 and I'm anemic.

As for the Vitamin D, I have taken one 50,000u pill every Thursday for the past 8 weeks. I just took my last one two days ago. I am now supposed to start taking an over-the count tables of Vitamin D3 2000mg, one tablet daily for at least the next two and a half weeks so that will be one of my purchases today. Then I will go back for more blood work.

According to my conversation with my doctor as well as the paperwork they gave me people with a Vitamin D deficiency often feel tired or achy. The achiness is often in the large muscle groups. He told me that most people feel better after their 3rd 50,000u pill, but it took me at least 7 before I started feeling better. Although, I don't know how much of my inability to feel better could also be attributed to the B12 deficiency and the anemia.

I could see how a Vitamin D deficiency could attribute to obesity because you feel like absolute crap and don't want to do a thing - or at least I didn't. My supervisor was also low in Vitamin D this past fall and her goal every day was to go back home and go to bed because she was so tired.

I am now a believer in daily multi-vitamins and eat my 3 gummies religiously - doesn't hurt that they taste like candy. :D

Interesting subject. I don't have any deficiencies at the moment, as I am a firm believer in taking my daily chewable multi-vitamin, and other chewable vitamins and supplements. I've the energy and don't have any joint pains or whatnots.

Here is what I take daily:

Multi-Vitamin - I switch off between the chewable Centrium or the gummy Vita Bites

Omega-3 fish oil - capsule from Icelandic Health

B12 Sublingual tablet - dissolvable under the tongue from TriVita

Vit E - for the hair, skin, and nails, etc (even though I take a mulit-vit, I take this too for extra care)

Vit A - for the eyes basically for me (even though I take a mulit-vit, I take this too for extra care)

Fiber Choice or Metamucil - one in the morning, one in the afternoon for hunger pangs and/'or rotor rooter plumbing

Benefiber - either unflavored powder or chewable Orange Creme tablets for the extra fiber

Choc Calcium Chew - in the morning from Costco

TUMS - calcium, taken after dinner

You know, no one really wants to take all these vitamins/minerals and supplements, but as you know, there are times we just can't "eat" them, so taking these instead is making me healthy. I don't qualm taking them, as my life has been blessed being healthier and vibrant since I had the band.

I enjoy the sun too, and being in San Diego, I make sure I am protecting my skin from harm as much as possible. For me, I use Hawaii's 'Maui Babe' tanning lotion, as I love it and my skin does too. I love the coconut butter or lotion, rather than the cream or oils, as it absorbs my skin quite nicely without the oily residue. Everyone's skin type is going to be different...just choose the one that your skin reacts best to it.

Interesting subject. I don't have any deficiencies at the moment, as I am a firm believer in taking my daily chewable multi-vitamin, and other chewable vitamins and supplements. I've the energy and don't have any joint pains or whatnots.

Here is what I take daily:

Multi-Vitamin - I switch off between the chewable Centrium or the gummy Vita Bites

Omega-3 fish oil - capsule from Icelandic Health

B12 Sublingual tablet - dissolvable under the tongue from TriVita

Vit E - for the hair, skin, and nails, etc (even though I take a mulit-vit, I take this too for extra care)

Vit A - for the eyes basically for me (even though I take a mulit-vit, I take this too for extra care)

Fiber Choice or Metamucil - one in the morning, one in the afternoon for hunger pangs and/'or rotor rooter plumbing

Benefiber - either unflavored powder or chewable Orange Creme tablets for the extra fiber

Choc Calcium Chew - in the morning from Costco

TUMS - calcium, taken after dinner

You know, no one really wants to take all these vitamins/minerals and supplements, but as you know, there are times we just can't "eat" them, so taking these instead is making me healthy. I don't qualm taking them, as my life has been blessed being healthier and vibrant since I had the band.

I enjoy the sun too, and being in San Diego, I make sure I am protecting my skin from harm as much as possible. For me, I use Hawaii's 'Maui Babe' tanning lotion, as I love it and my skin does too. I love the coconut butter or lotion, rather than the cream or oils, as it absorbs my skin quite nicely without the oily residue. Everyone's skin type is going to be different...just choose the one that your skin reacts best to it.

Hey Jude,

First off thanks for the nice comments and words of encouragement of my sparkpeople page! I want to know how big you Omega 3 capsule is? The ones that I buy at Sams are huge, about 3/4 in long. I haven't been taking them since I have been banded and now my cholesterol has gone back up. I took one today but it makes me really nervous to take them because I am afraid they are so big it will get stuck, but so far so good. I have looked and looked for some that are smaller in size but have had no luck, so interested to know about yours.

thanks

dawn

Hi everyone,

Just a quick question, did all of you go in to your doctor and ask for the blood work for vitamin deficiencies? I just had a physical and I was talking to my doctor about his opinion on how much vit d to take and he just said that it is really hard not to get vit d in the foods that you eat and the sun and to not worry about taking any extra. Now I think I may call back and ask for some blood work done and see what it comes out to be.

dawn

Hey Jude,

First off thanks for the nice comments and words of encouragement of my sparkpeople page!

YOU got it kiddo! It's awesome to have people to cheer you on, isn't it? YEAH!!

I want to know how big you Omega 3 capsule is? The ones that I buy at Sams are huge, about 3/4 in long. I haven't been taking them since I have been banded and now my cholesterol has gone back up. I took one today but it makes me really nervous to take them because I am afraid they are so big it will get stuck, but so far so good. I have looked and looked for some that are smaller in size but have had no luck, so interested to know about yours.

thanks

dawn

Yep, those darn things are about an inch for me too! When I take them, I drink warm water or drinks, to soften the gel caps and I envision them go thru my band with no problems. I've taken them since before I was banded and I've yet to have any issues.

Hi everyone,

Just a quick question, did all of you go in to your doctor and ask for the blood work for vitamin deficiencies? I just had a physical and I was talking to my doctor about his opinion on how much vit d to take and he just said that it is really hard not to get vit d in the foods that you eat and the sun and to not worry about taking any extra. Now I think I may call back and ask for some blood work done and see what it comes out to be.

dawn

Hey Dawn--I have blood work done somewhat regularly due to thyroid issues, so my doctor ordered a Vit D level on me as a routine test that he does. He had some info that this deficiency is on the rise, but for what reason it hasn't been explained thoroughly yet.

I have to take Vitamin D as well, I was low and they were concerned. I have a question. They said hubby's chlorestrial (sp?) is high. Does anyone have any ideas of things you can eat to lower that?

I love this forum. We are all so alike. First of all, I mentioned the calcium/Vitamin D that I found and am taking. I gave you the wrong name, the correct name is "Viactiv". They contain 500mg of Calcium and 125% Daily Value of Vitamin D. I was told to take them 3 times a day.

As to the blood test - Every year when I have a physical my doctor does lab tests on me. Maybe it depends on age, but I don't think so. I have been having them for quite a few years.

Anne

Jude sweetie...this is the crazy thing about it...I take multivitamins and various supplements (vitamin e, etc) since I have to take so many pain pills for the neck.

this just proves that it does not matter how GREAT you think you are doing, you may be deficient in something.

They (doctor) did a full metabolic and blood panel, thyroid, liver, etc.

We did this for my surgery (which is happening at the end of September) and then we will be doing it again two weeks before the surgery to be sure nothing is low.

I love this forum. We are all so alike. First of all, I mentioned the calcium/Vitamin D that I found and am taking. I gave you the wrong name, the correct name is "Viactiv". They contain 500mg of Calcium and 125% Daily Value of Vitamin D.

As to the blood test - Every year when I have a physical my doctor does lab tests on me. Maybe it depends on age, but I don't think so. I have been having them for quite a few years.

Anne

well, I was specifically told to take ONLY a Vitamin D supplement of 4,000 IU 2x daily. Nothing else mixed in...no magnesium, no calcium, nothing

But I have read that you can get a shot, and I would prefer to do that..I am sick of pills.

Hi everyone,

dawn

My doctor did a CBC because I scared myself really bad one morning by trying to pass out twice so within 30 minutes of calling they had me in the office. I had felt this way many times before but they were very minor and easy to recover from. This time however was worse in that everything was gray and my head was pounding, even after laying on my bed for 5-10 minutes and I was too nausous to eat.

He thinks I am anemic because I may have lost too much blood during my TT and Arm Lift. I am not sure if the D and B12 deficiencies can be attributed to this or not.

If you are taking a multi-vitamin each day that has 400u of Vitamin D in it you should be okay. However, it wouldn't hurt to have blood work done once a year since we are not able to eat as much food.

I have to take Vitamin D as well, I was low and they were concerned. I have a question. They said hubby's chlorestrial (sp?) is high. Does anyone have any ideas of things you can eat to lower that?

Cheerios and oatmeal - at least that is what the boxes say.

Hello

I am also vit D deficient. I take 10,000 iu daily. The brand name is SISU. They are very tiny pills and are sublingual. I put all ten of them under my tongue at once and the melt all most instantously. I take them just before I go to bed. I don't know if you can get them in grocery stores but you can get then in health food stores. I have been doing this amount for almost six weeks. I decided that 2009 was my year to get super healthy so I went to a doctor that specializes in anti-aging. He ran a whole gammet of tests. I will get my results this Monday. In the tests that did come back already (about a week after they were taken) is where the vit. D results came from. That result had really surprised me because I had been taking 4000 iu since the beginning of Jan/09. So I agree that it does take along time to get your levels back to a normal level.

Hello

I am also vit D deficient. I take 10,000 iu daily. The brand name is SISU. They are very tiny pills and are sublingual. I put all ten of them under my tongue at once and the melt all most instantously. I take them just before I go to bed. I don't know if you can get them in grocery stores but you can get then in health food stores. I have been doing this amount for almost six weeks. I decided that 2009 was my year to get super healthy so I went to a doctor that specializes in anti-aging. He ran a whole gammet of tests. I will get my results this Monday. In the tests that did come back already (about a week after they were taken) is where the vit. D results came from. That result had really surprised me because I had been taking 4000 iu since the beginning of Jan/09. So I agree that it does take along time to get your levels back to a normal level.

Carrol, you are a blessing! thank you for sharing this information. I was beginning to think WTF had I done wrong...LOL

I agree...just because you "DO" what is right...does not mean your body is accepting it. one more reason to realize we are ALL different

;D

Vitamin A is a fat soluble vitamin. Fat soluble vitamins (A, E, D, K) are stored in our fat. They can build up to toxic levels (you can get too much of them) so it is a good idea to have your doctor test you after you have taken them for a while.

LisaLaw, if you are taking other prescription drugs, perhaps one of those drugs is inhibiting the abosrption of the Vitamin D. So...yes...like you said, we can be doing things right and still get a less desirable result. We cannot control all the variables. Sorry to hear that you are having pain. If that is what the surgery is for, I hope you have a successful surgery and that you heal quickly.

Take care all!

Dawn

Vitamin A is a fat soluble vitamin. Fat soluble vitamins (A, E, D, K) are stored in our fat. They can build up to toxic levels (you can get too much of them) so it is a good idea to have your doctor test you after you have taken them for a while.

LisaLaw, if you are taking other prescription drugs, perhaps one of those drugs is inhibiting the abosrption of the Vitamin D. So...yes...like you said, we can be doing things right and still get a less desirable result. We cannot control all the variables. Sorry to hear that you are having pain. If that is what the surgery is for, I hope you have a successful surgery and that you heal quickly.

Take care all!

Dawn

thank you Dawn! that is very sweet. and yes, I agree...I think something from all the glorious pain killers has probably blocked absorption.

on another interesting note, I was speaking to a long time friend of mine whose wife is a doctor, but does alternative as well as traditional medicine. She offers a Vitamin D3 liquid that goes under your tongue. one drop is 1000 IU.

LL,

I saw a Vitamin D3 liquid at my Costco just yesterday. (San Diego area) I did not buy it because I did not know whether or not it would taste good and it was 2 bottles and apple berry flavored. I think you could mix it with water or juice. I will wait and see if they sample it one of these days or maybe someone else has tried it!!

I do not remember all of the particulars about the liquid. Looked at too much vitamin stuff yesterday I guess!!

I do not know if all of the Costco stores carry the same items. If you decide to try it, let me know how it tastes.

D.

Hi Lisa - yes, I hear you regarding about doing the right thing and in dosage, etc. I do a blood panel always on my birthday month and then between Nov/Dec. I had blood clots when I was 17 and I have to be careful between my blood thickening or thins out. (Knock on wood...) I haven't the need to take any meds for it...just knowing what to eat at the right time, especially hot sauce and jalapenos!

And thanks for mentioning about the liquid D3 option. (Dawn - I am going to check that D3 liquid myself...it wouldn't hurt and it can be another alternative to the choc chewables).