Anyone worry they drink too much for surgery

We stay away from the liquid calories. I kept myself to just one or two glasses of wine a week, and really had mine when I had to go out to dinner – used it as my appetizer and it helped to keep me from filling up before dinner (which was normally a small appetizer), and kept people from trying to “ply” food onto me.

I recommend you switch to a nice sleepy time herb tea to help you sleep and add in some mediation and relaxation therapy to do the trick.

A small glass of wine (and that’s a very small one) has about 100 calories – (most people when they fill up their wine glass are having two of those) if you’re drinking 3 per night you’re most likely consuming about 500 extra calories per day – or 3500 per week. On average you have to eat 3500 calories to gain a pound and stop eating (or drinking) 3500 calories to lose one. Just cut out the wine (or most of it) and you could lose an additional pound per week.

When I started looking at how I was consuming food and beverages and gained insight on how it all worked I was really better equipped to use my band to its fullest.

Take care and congrats on the decision to get your band – it’s really life changing in an amazing way! Some of the most difficult changes we make end up really being the best for us.

Best,

Lisa

I don't drink as much as I used to, but still drink on a regular basis. I always make sure and count it in my calories for the day and also be sure and be aware of your tolerance. I used to be able to drink w/ the best of them and now my tolerance is shot! It also hits me quickly so I drink slowly and really am careful b/c the last think you want to do is get sick!

I'm with you I drink before bed quite a bit to get myself to sleep. I have a very stressful job that gives me insomnia quite a bit, so the drinks help. Just keep in mind that the beverage needs to be counted in your calories and that is less food and nutrients you are getting. After banding you need to really watch what goes in your mouth - proteins, veggies, etc...so drinking too much is nutritionally not a good idea. But you can still do it! Find beverages that don't eat up all your calories - stuff like crystal light, light juices, etc...and alcohol - I do wine sometimes but it is worse for you calorie wise.

Hi. I don't know when your surgery is booked but I would suggest that you start weaning off of the alcohol preop. As a medical professional who worked surgery for years I can tell you that 3-4 glasses of wine a night is enough to put you into alcohol withdrawl if you go 3 days without a drink ,and that would be a very serious problem for surgery.

I also think that you should tell the OCC how much you have been drinking so that they are fully prepared and that you will have the safest surgical outcome.

I hope you do not find this offensive in anyway , I am just hoping to give you some helpful information.

Seriously, though. What if I'm an alcoholic and have to have three or four glasses of wine per day? I don't have the band yet, but I want to know if it even makes sense to get it if I don't stop drinking. Is it going to be a waste of time and money and a huge life change and I still can't lose weight because of the wine? Or is it possible that the band can somehow help me limit my drinking and I can lose weight and manage to drink less?

Any insights you have are appreciated.

Never been as good of a drinker as I am a sleeper--haha. If you seriously have trouble falling asleep, you could try this. Near bedtime, take a short brisk walk, (or go up and down the stairs for a few minutes), then take two of the calcium chews like Viactiv and hop into bed. Also, if you have a place like Whole Foods near you, the capsule called "Ornithine" is also a good natural relaxant. Hope this helps you!

Seriously, though. What if I'm an alcoholic and have to have three or four glasses of wine per day? I don't have the band yet, but I want to know if it even makes sense to get it if I don't stop drinking. Is it going to be a waste of time and money and a huge life change and I still can't lose weight because of the wine? Or is it possible that the band can somehow help me limit my drinking and I can lose weight and manage to drink less?

THIS IS A TUFF ONE FOR ME TO ANSWER. MY FRIEND, BANDED WITH ME IS AN ALCOHOLIC. SHE ACTUALLY DRANK MORE AFTER BEING BANDED. I THINK IT'S HER ADDICTIVE PERSONALITY. ONCE SHE STOPPED EATING SHE JUST TURNED MORE TO HER VINO AS A WAY OF COPING WITH HER FOOD LOSS :(

Hi! I applaud you for posing this question. Now, I am not making jusdgement here but I know first hand that being banded can have profound emotional effects even if there is not a potential addiction. In fact, an active addiction to alcohol or drugs is a clear contraindication. As a bandster, a healthcare provider and someone who care, I suggest you see a counselor and evaluate your drinking prior to moving forward. You might be surprised how easily you can give it up or you may find it isnt so easy. But you will be doing yourself a favor by tackling one issue at the time. I am sure with the right direction you will be able to acheive your goal of being banded. Take care of yourself! This was my honest and straightforward answer.

THIS IS A TUFF ONE FOR ME TO ANSWER. MY FRIEND, BANDED WITH ME IS AN ALCOHOLIC. SHE ACTUALLY DRANK MORE AFTER BEING BANDED. I THINK IT'S HER ADDICTIVE PERSONALITY. ONCE SHE STOPPED EATING SHE JUST TURNED MORE TO HER VINO AS A WAY OF COPING WITH HER FOOD LOSS :(

I'm sorry for your friend, but did she still lose weight, or has the wine prevented progress?

Hey Abbe!

I wouldn't count on the band to help you limit alcohol consumption. Like CindyLou and Pammie said in previous posts--it is better to get the alcohol monkey off one's back first. Unless someone felt they had an alcohol problem, it sounds like it is completely doable to enjoy alcohol in a moderate way--follow what Lisa does.

I'm sorry for your friend, but did she still lose weight, or has the wine prevented progress?

HER BAND SLIPPED. SHE KEPT IT TO TIGHT THINKING SHE WOULD JUST DRINK HER CALORIES. WHEN SHE DID EAT SHE PB'd AND KEPT DOING THAT.

"WHAT THE HELL" WAS HER THOUGHT, I'M STILL LOSING

I'M SURE PEOPLE THAT ARE BULIMIC AND ANOREXIC SAY THE SAME THING. I'VE SEEN IT HERE ALSO WITH BANDS TO TIGHT, "BUT I'M LOSING, WOO HOO"

IT'S JUST NOT A HEALTHY CHOICE WITH POTENSIAL TERRIBLE CONSEQUENCES

SURE I DRINK, JUST NOT TO THAT EXTENT. EVERYTHING HAS TO BE IN MODERATION IMO, A HAPPY MEDIUM