Post-Operative diet and care for Lap Band Surgery

Alice

Hi Alice. Personally I found the clear portion of the liquid diet the easy part to follow. I had NO HUNGER right after surgery.

The end of the 2 week was where I began to weaver and struggle.

I began to add some mushie food in my diet. VERY SMAL PORTION. It was enough to

Curb my urges and hunger pain.

If you're going to OCC, they will give you a package with all of this but it's seven days clear (juices, tea/coffee, broths, water, gatordae etc) and then you move to full liquids (cream soups, yogurt and yogurt drinks etc). Luckliy it is soup season and there are some really delicious soups out there, plus recipes in the forum if you search "recipes".

Sabrina:)

Hi Alice:

I just finished my 21 day post op diet and could eat solids for the frist time yesterday - woo hoo! The last week was the hardest for me. In the beginning, you "think" you want to eat, but in reality, you don't. For me, I ate the broth from different soups rather than just eating plain broth because it at least had the flavor of other things. Cream soups tasted so good when I could do those. The key for me really was to stay hydrated and work through those urges for food when they came up. I never got weak, etc. I also supplemented with liquid vitamins from GNC.

Melissa

I have a question as well. In the reading it says that we are only to have 3 meals a day with no snacks. I noticed when reading what alot of you eat. You have your meals but also snacks. Are we allowed snacks?

Debbie

I have used snacks from time to time. I am adding a snack to my day to prevent getting to hungry and over eating.

For me, it has taken a while to get a fill that has provided me with any restriction. PErsonally, I think its important to have reasonable expectations, until you get close to your

sweet spot. Which has been hard for me to do. It took 3 fills for me to feel restriction! My doctor does fills a month apart. So it has taken me a while to get the ball rolling.

Everybody is different.

Some add a snack to shake thongs up and confuse their body's. You can get into a rut and your body will be on a even keel where your not froping any weight.

One thing I pay attention to is the eating/drinking time frame. I drink 60 + oz of water so 2 snacks a day makes that a challenge for me.

I don't want to mess things up... I just had it done on Sept 17 not really hungry but drinking a lot of liquids broth and clear liquids... can I drink as much as I want... I dont want to stretch my new upper pouch...

Have I have already done dammage?

I have a question as well. In the reading it says that we are only to have 3 meals a day with no snacks. I noticed when reading what alot of you eat. You have your meals but also snacks. Are we allowed snacks?

Debbie

I struggle with snacking because it is THERE and not because I'm actually hungry. I could easily feel satisfied on three meals per day (about 4 hours apart) but I indulge now and then. If I didn't, weight-loss would be faster I am sure!

Sabrina:)

Hey, ODave - I didn't realize you'd already had yours done! How was everything, and how did it go being away from your little one? I'll bet she was so happy when you got home! :)

I don't want to mess things up... I just had it done on Sept 17 not really hungry but drinking a lot of liquids broth and clear liquids... can I drink as much as I want... I dont want to stretch my new upper pouch...

Hi Dave!

I totally forgot that we had surgery on the same day! What time did you have yours done? I was there starting around 10am, but didn't really see anyone. The clear liquid diet has been getting harder as the days pass. I'm getting a little bit hungrier as time passes, and yesterday had a terrible headache!

I can't wait until Thursday!! Drinkable yogurt sounds like heaven right now!!!!! :P

All the best,

Charelle

Hi Dave!

I totally forgot that we had surgery on the same day! What time did you have yours done? I was there starting around 10am, but didn't really see anyone. The clear liquid diet has been getting harder as the days pass. I'm getting a little bit hungrier as time passes, and yesterday had a terrible headache!

I can't wait until Thursday!! Drinkable yogurt sounds like heaven right now!!!!! :P

All the best,

Charelle

I was there about 8 am and by the time you got there I was in my room and about to head into the OR. I am doing well and drinking a lot. Glad the clear liquids are over and having soups and yogart... I am starting to get hungry now and again but just drink more.

I am looking forward to the fill and getting the full sensation... you know like after I used to polish off a large pizza.

I was there about 8 am and by the time you got there I was in my room and about to head into the OR. I am doing well and drinking a lot. Glad the clear liquids are over and having soups and yogart... I am starting to get hungry now and again but just drink more.

I am looking forward to the fill and getting the full sensation... you know like after I used to polish off a large pizza.

Oh Dave....you HAD to mention pizza!!!! Is that my stomach grumbling again?!?!?! Off to drink more soup.... :D

Oh Dave....you HAD to mention pizza!!!! Is that my stomach grumbling again?!?!?! Off to drink more soup.... :D

HI! I was there with you and Dave. I was in the corner room, lol. I had surgery about 1 p.m. That's cool. I left the same day at about 5. I just started the drinkable yogurts Thursday too. I really like having the cup of milk in the morning with Carnation Instant. It keeps me full for a long time. If I do happen to get hungry before lunch (broth or strained soup) I have those frozen tropical ice pops. They are way good. I have lost 12 lbs. since that day and am anxious to get the fill. I know I have to wait a few more weeks. I also suck on sugar free candy when I'm hungry so I feel like I'me having something without chewing and it lasts a bit. I have been drinking those Capri Suns (about 3 - 4 a day). I have been drinking the broth of Won Ton soup which is sooo good, if you like that stuff. I do throw the won tons out. lol. dammit. I am reading all the comments I can so when I get the fill, I won't be so nervous. I have had dreams of cooking so many different things. Has anyone else been in the mood to do more cooking? I have watered down pineapple juice, which I love. I drink all my drinks with a straw to remind myself to sip. I haven't burped as much in the last few days, which is nice. My big thing is What am I going to eat first when I get to that special day? LOL. Any ideas? I can't get the warm apple fritter out of my head. OMG.

Glad I found you guys.

HI! I was there with you and Dave. I was in the corner room, lol. I had surgery about 1 p.m. That's cool. I left the same day at about 5. I just started the drinkable yogurts Thursday too. I really like having the cup of milk in the morning with Carnation Instant. It keeps me full for a long time. If I do happen to get hungry before lunch (broth or strained soup) I have those frozen tropical ice pops. They are way good. I have lost 12 lbs. since that day and am anxious to get the fill. I know I have to wait a few more weeks. I also suck on sugar free candy when I'm hungry so I feel like I'me having something without chewing and it lasts a bit. I have been drinking those Capri Suns (about 3 - 4 a day). I have been drinking the broth of Won Ton soup which is sooo good, if you like that stuff. I do throw the won tons out. lol. dammit. I am reading all the comments I can so when I get the fill, I won't be so nervous. I have had dreams of cooking so many different things. Has anyone else been in the mood to do more cooking? I have watered down pineapple juice, which I love. I drink all my drinks with a straw to remind myself to sip. I haven't burped as much in the last few days, which is nice. My big thing is What am I going to eat first when I get to that special day? LOL. Any ideas? I can't get the warm apple fritter out of my head. OMG.

Glad I found you guys.

Hi Mobs!

Oh my goodness, I'm SOOO addicted to the food network lately!! I've been collecting recipe after recipe! My family is happy because I do cook more! I hate to say it, but on most nights, I opted to make a quick hamburger helper meal or frozen family dinner. Lately, I've actually been slaving over the stove & adding actual ingredients besides ground beef! I also have a stash of recipes that I'm saving especially for when I get to start eating "real" food again!

Since we're now on day 11, I've been jealous that I can't eat any of what I make for my family, but I did realize how satisfying it is to make it for them.

This is horrible, but I have October 8th circled on the family calendar with a big "Yolanda's" written across it! That's our favorite Mexican restaurant in town, and that's where we'll be headed for dinner that night!!! I've decided I'm going to bring 2 Gladware containers (save the environment!) and when I get whatever meal I get, I'm going to immediately portion it into 3rds and put 2/3 of it in the containers & put them to the side. That way, I know not to eat more than the "1/3 of what I usually eat", and I already have lunch for the next couple of days packed up!

I've lost 14lbs. post-op so far, but I know that with the heartier/creamier soups, I'll probably slow down in weight loss or even gain! (ugg!)

I can't believe I missed everyone while I was at OCC! I swear I felt like I was the only person there! I may have groggily saw someone while I was shuffling around the hallway with the nurse, but it's all a blur now!

What day did you go home?

Hi Mobs!

Oh my goodness, I'm SOOO addicted to the food network lately!! I've been collecting recipe after recipe! My family is happy because I do cook more! I hate to say it, but on most nights, I opted to make a quick hamburger helper meal or frozen family dinner. Lately, I've actually been slaving over the stove & adding actual ingredients besides ground beef! I also have a stash of recipes that I'm saving especially for when I get to start eating "real" food again!

Since we're now on day 11, I've been jealous that I can't eat any of what I make for my family, but I did realize how satisfying it is to make it for them.

This is horrible, but I have October 8th circled on the family calendar with a big "Yolanda's" written across it! That's our favorite Mexican restaurant in town, and that's where we'll be headed for dinner that night!!! I've decided I'm going to bring 2 Gladware containers (save the environment!) and when I get whatever meal I get, I'm going to immediately portion it into 3rds and put 2/3 of it in the containers & put them to the side. That way, I know not to eat more than the "1/3 of what I usually eat", and I already have lunch for the next couple of days packed up!

I've lost 14lbs. post-op so far, but I know that with the heartier/creamier soups, I'll probably slow down in weight loss or even gain! (ugg!)

I can't believe I missed everyone while I was at OCC! I swear I felt like I was the only person there! I may have groggily saw someone while I was shuffling around the hallway with the nurse, but it's all a blur now!

What day did you go home?

HI. LOL.

I went home the next day. Fransisco drove us at about 8:30 - 9-ish to the airport. He dropped off two girls first and I'm pretty sure one of them was you. I have also cooked for my family. Thank God I'm not alone. I am making homemade lasagna tonight. I made a big bowl of fruit salad for them, which I wish I could have. I think somehow the smell of the food and doing the cooking makes you feel like you are part of it and then when you have your broth, it's not too bad, if you have broth you like and not just to be having it cuz you have to.

It will be interesting to see what I will be craving the first day, but for now there are so many foods dancing in my head. Food channel is my favorite, but I have to suck on a popsicle or two while I watch some of the shows.lol... So far so good.

Your dinner sounds like a good plan. I will keep that in mind to portion first. My husband is laughing and says the food bill will be going down and he might lose weight too if we go out and split meals.

I am trying to make my plans for my first fill already. I plan on 6 weeks to the day so it will be the 29th of Oct. I thought about getting there early and leaving late the same day, just waiting to hear if that is ok from OCC.

HI. LOL.

I went home the next day. Fransisco drove us at about 8:30 - 9-ish to the airport. He dropped off two girls first and I'm pretty sure one of them was you. I have also cooked for my family. Thank God I'm not alone. I am making homemade lasagna tonight. I made a big bowl of fruit salad for them, which I wish I could have. I think somehow the smell of the food and doing the cooking makes you feel like you are part of it and then when you have your broth, it's not too bad, if you have broth you like and not just to be having it cuz you have to.

It will be interesting to see what I will be craving the first day, but for now there are so many foods dancing in my head. Food channel is my favorite, but I have to suck on a popsicle or two while I watch some of the shows.lol... So far so good.

Your dinner sounds like a good plan. I will keep that in mind to portion first. My husband is laughing and says the food bill will be going down and he might lose weight too if we go out and split meals.

I am trying to make my plans for my first fill already. I plan on 6 weeks to the day so it will be the 29th of Oct. I thought about getting there early and leaving late the same day, just waiting to hear if that is ok from OCC.

I went home on Saturday. Did you mean Saturday? If so, then yes, I was there with my sister! When we went home, there was this woman sitting in the front who offered us candy. Was that you? If so, I didn't say anything, but I thought, how nice & happy this woman is! How refreshing!

I wish I was able to go right at 6 weeks! I just took a month off of work to visit the Philippines in June, so I can't take any more time off of work. I'm planning to go on a Saturday, but at 6 weeks, the Saturday is Halloween! I'm probably going to be there on the 7th of November instead. I'm crossing my fingers that I'll have at least enough restriction to carry me through the holidays!!

• 2 weeks later...
I'm barely feeling the band there at all on post-op day #11. I'm freaking out!

What do you mean that you are barely feeling the band at all? I am post-op #7. I have been cooking soups for my family so I can at least have some broth with them. Last night I made a chicken chili soup, it was amazing! good luck

Yeah, I'm freaking out because I'm losing restriction. I have been reassured by almighty members Pammie and Sabrina that it's because the swelling is going down and that's why I don't get as full as fast. It's just weird after feeling so full after a few swigs of yogurt. Now I can probably drink the whole container and not feel a thing in my stomach/band. I look forward to getting my first fill in early November! :) Thanks to people for their support. This is all so new and different.