Splurging the night before surgery

I'm pretty much on target to lose the 12 pounds required of me before surgery. Here's my sick thought that I know ways loads about my relationship with food. I'm thinking about having a regular meal the night before surgery - not an effing Lean Cuisine - and then following it up with dessert.

Did any of you do that? Am I nuts?

Margaret

I'm pretty much on target to lose the 12 pounds required of me before surgery. Here's my sick thought that I know ways loads about my relationship with food. I'm thinking about having a regular meal the night before surgery - not an effing Lean Cuisine - and then following it up with dessert.

Did any of you do that? Am I nuts?

Margaret

Hi Margaret,

In all honesty, I FULLY intended to! I arrived in Mexico on Thursday last week, and truly planned on weighing in, getting my bloodwork done, then strolling over to a mexican restaurant before my surgery the next day! I ended up having my surgery that very day, so (I guess luckily) I missed out! Just remember that you'll still be able to eat regular food after the 21 day liquid diet. That's what the nutritionist said to me. I shouldn't feel like I need to indulge, because I'm not losing the chance to ever eat again! That really helped in my decision to move my surgery a day early.

Hope this helps! Hang in there!!

~Charelle

I didn't.

I was too scared i wouldn't qualify for surgery if i didn't follow the diet.

And I also knew, that if i couldn't even follow the pre-op diet, what chance of self control did i have to be successful with the band.

Because in all honesty, the band isn't a miracle. You can still eat whatever you want.

I understand the band is not a miracle, though 2 protein shakes and one lean cuisine is not food.

The day/night before your surgery you won't be eating/drinking a lean cuisine or any shakes. Not unless you bring them to Mexico with you. I had a sensible dinner. I went light, but had "real food."

I think you will find you will get fuller faster anyway, as your stomach has gotten small from the pre-op.

Hey, Margaret - yep, can see your picture just fine - it's nice to be able to put a face to your name! :) Yeah, to be honest, I've thought about it and the temptation is definitely there (although, as you know, I'm having a bit of trouble losing all the weight I'm supposed to on the pre-op, so I may need to save every possible calorie I can) - but the temptation of having "real food" is definitely there for me. I'll probably do something similar to what AngieB said - something light the night before (also, I've heard going a bit light will help with gas the day of surgery) - but I have heard such good things about the Cantina! lol Oh, and I see you're being banded on the 25th - does that mean you're leaving on the 27th? That's the day I'm getting in, maybe we'll run into each other at the airport! :)

- Deena

The day/night before your surgery you won't be eating/drinking a lean cuisine or any shakes. Not unless you bring them to Mexico with you. I had a sensible dinner. I went light, but had "real food."

I think you will find you will get fuller faster anyway, as your stomach has gotten small from the pre-op.

No, like Lindsay I was concerned about being turned away and needing to re-schedule and I did not want that to happen. Also, I felt that following the pre-op diet was the beginning of my commitment to the necessary lifestyle changes I needed to make in order to get my eating under control

The pre-op diet is also supposed to shrink your liver and make surgery safer and easier for you and your surgeon.

Will you find people on the forum who overate the night before surgery? Of course you will. It seems like lately there are more than the usual number of posts dedicated to telling all. And while I personally do not have any issue at any time with how people want to manage their lapbands, I do not really want/or need to hear about how we continue our same old patterns. I find our successes much more uplifting than our failures. But, maybe that is just me.

Good luck with your surgery.

Hi,

I asked Dr. Miranda if I could go eat Mexican food the night before. She said it was ok as long as I ate early. We ate Dinner at 5 that afternoon. We went to a wonderful mexican food resturant. I had fajitas rice and beans. She did tell me to be careful of the Tortillas because they use lard......My brother in law and sister had a wonderful time with happy hour...lol. I did not drink, was too scard of that one. I was done eating by 5:45 and had nothing else the rest of the night.

I was the first one banded that morning. My advice is after you have your test, when you speak with Dr. Miranda ask her and see what she tells you.

Best of Luck!

Carrie

I didn't.

I was too scared i wouldn't qualify for surgery if i didn't follow the diet.

And I also knew, that if i couldn't even follow the pre-op diet, what chance of self control did i have to be successful with the band.

Because in all honesty, the band isn't a miracle. You can still eat whatever you want.

Lindsay,

You say the band isn't a miracle, you can still eat whatever you want? Im sorry I dont think that is true for everyone. There are alot of things that I can not eat. It may not be your miracle but it has been a miracle and blessing for me and many others on this board.

Carrie

Thank you all for your insights and opinions. Frankly, I just wanted to inquire as to whether I can eat something other than Lean Cuisine! I want a little variety but I won't go overboard. I am very excited about my surgery. I am not scared one bit! (Knock wood.)

I ate a nice seafood dinner, but I was put in for surgery a day early and didn't know that was gonna happen! I thought i'd have an extra day. For me TMI but I was afraid what might happen under anesthetic after a big greasy meal. Gross, but that was my worry. I'd say have what you want but don't go nuts. I went on this "farewell tour" of sorts on food before my pre-op and looking back that was really stupid and just caused me to have to lose 4 more lbs. Besides bread I can eat anything still (depending on the day and time of day) and so it was a waste.

Good luck!!!

Thank you all for your insights and opinions. Frankly, I just wanted to inquire as to whether I can eat something other than Lean Cuisine! I want a little variety but I won't go overboard. I am very excited about my surgery. I am not scared one bit! (Knock wood.)

Magkai1 - I was not one bit scared either, I did feel some nerves of anticipation.....the waiting was so hard. Since April, I have lost 32 lbs! I am so thrilled about the weight loss, and am looking forward to feeling better as I get healthier!

I had a pleasant experience, it was more like a mini vacation rather than a medical tourism trip. I am 5 months out from my surgery and the only regret I have is NOT DOING IT SOONER! :D

D'oh! Guess I won't see you at the airport - lol - but, yes, I'll see ya here on the board! And I am anxious to hear what you end up having for that "last meal" ! :)

Hey Deena,

I hope to return home on the 26th and I live 25 minutes from the border so I don't think we'll run into one another in person. See you around here though! :)

Margaret

No, like Lindsay I was concerned about being turned away and needing to re-schedule and I did not want that to happen. Also, I felt that following the pre-op diet was the beginning of my commitment to the necessary lifestyle changes I needed to make in order to get my eating under control

The pre-op diet is also supposed to shrink your liver and make surgery safer and easier for you and your surgeon.

Will you find people on the forum who overate the night before surgery? Of course you will. It seems like lately there are more than the usual number of posts dedicated to telling all. And while I personally do not have any issue at any time with how people want to manage their lapbands, I do not really want/or need to hear about how we continue our same old patterns. I find our successes much more uplifting than our failures. But, maybe that is just me.

Good luck with your surgery.

I completely agree with this, and couldn't have said it better.

:)

ABSOLUTELY!

my aunt (who is a nurse) and I walked down to the bright yellow cantina/restaurant two blocks away

I had the BEST Mexican food I have ever had and three Dos Equis as a memorial (have not had a beer since!)

handmade tortillas, camarones (prawns the size of my hand), tons of guacamole...we ate as much as we could and were done by 9 pm

hell no - lol...okay but seriously, I ate a small meal but ate it early. I have had many surgeries before and know the gas pain hell one can experience after surgery...I also make my body as empty as can be ;) so I dont suffer again. I once passed out from the pain being so bad. I now am very careful of what I eat the day before I have any surgery and dont eat anything that might possibly make me get gassy or sore.

Don't treat this like it's your last meal--it's not. Once you get the band you'll still be able to eat whatever you want and as much as you want. You shouldn't, but you can. When you begin to get your fills and start feeling the restriction you'll see what all the fuss is about.

I didn't splurge, but I did eat food. I was scared to over-eat. I did everything wrong from the very start. I had horrible habits which didn't end when I got the band. I was upset and panicked that I wasted my money on the surgery. I didn't lose any weight. All that changed after I received my second fill. Now, I'm on track and I see what all the fuss is about. I'm thrilled that I'm losing weight and that I've actually changed my habits. Each day is a struggle, but each day I see improvement. Just know that the band is a little bit useless until you get your fills. Don't worry, just get the fills and you'll see improvement.

Don't treat this like it's your last meal--it's not. Once you get the band you'll still be able to eat whatever you want and as much as you want. You shouldn't, but you can. When you begin to get your fills and start feeling the restriction you'll see what all the fuss is about.

Some people can eat whatever they want and as much as they want- but I can't. I can't eat bread, pasta, rice and most meats. I also can't over-eat or it will come back up. If I could, I would....which is why I have this band! It limits my food consumption whether I like it or not, lol!

Some people can eat whatever they want and as much as they want- but I can't. I can't eat bread, pasta, rice and most meats. I also can't over-eat or it will come back up. If I could, I would....which is why I have this band! It limits my food consumption whether I like it or not, lol!

.....and to answer your original question; I ate pretty bad the night before surgery. I wasn't intending to but my anxiety got the best of me and I blew it!

Sabrina:)

I was banded two weeks ago, and we had dinner at the Hotel Mexican restaurant. I had lost more than was required for surgery, so didn't fear that I would be turned away. However, I was seriously, happily satisfied with their grilled Caesar salad! :) I also had nill to no gass issues after surgery as well, which I was so thankful for! :)