How many pounds did you lose before people started noticing?

Hello everyone,

As the days tick down to eating "real" good again and I come to the acceptance that the weight loss will slow down/stop for a bit, I had a question:

How many pounds down were you when people started noticing that you've lost weight? (Or actually mentioned it to you?) I'm down about 20 lbs. from a month ago, but nobody has said anything, and while I fit in them BETTER, I'm still wearing my regular clothes. I guess I imagined that 20 lbs. would make a huge visual difference, but I guess not on my body! ;)

I don't know if people don't want to offend the "big girl" by discussing my weight, or if it's really not noticable. I'd LOVE to hear your stories!

Hello everyone,

As the days tick down to eating "real" good again and I come to the acceptance that the weight loss will slow down/stop for a bit, I had a question:

How many pounds down were you when people started noticing that you've lost weight? (Or actually mentioned it to you?) I'm down about 20 lbs. from a month ago, but nobody has said anything, and while I fit in them BETTER, I'm still wearing my regular clothes. I guess I imagined that 20 lbs. would make a huge visual difference, but I guess not on my body! ;)

I don't know if people don't want to offend the "big girl" by discussing my weight, or if it's really not noticable. I'd LOVE to hear your stories!

Well for me, no one really made comments to me about my weight loss until about 50 lbs. I am only 5'2" so I was really sad that no one seemed to notice until then. I mean seriously, 50 lbs? I think people noticed though now that I think about it. I think they are just not sure if they should mention it. At 267 lbs and as short as me, I was a really, really big girl. When I lost 50 lbs I was still 100 lbs over weight, ya know?

Now I am 180 lbs. I get comments daily. Everything from people askingme how much (that always shocks me and I always tell the truth) to people telling me, "keep up the great work". I did have 1 person say, "don't lose too much". Um, ok. Where was this person when I was on the way up? How come no one told me, "don't gain too much"?

Don't get hung up on the numbers pay closer attention to your clothes. I have only lost 5 lbs in the last 3 months but people say things to me daily and my clothes are seriously different now. When I started I was in a 24 pant size 2 xl top. I bought a dress this week and it is a 14 petite. I wear a 14 petite pant and if it is shorts, I wear a 12. That in and of itself is amazing to me... Shirts are a large (still got the boobs - yehawww!).

Same here, not until about 50 pounds and it was really pissing me off. How could they NOT notice? Again, maybe they did but didn't want to be nosy. When school ended in June, I was about 185 and when it started in September, I was 180. I hadn't seen the other moms all summer and they were all "OMG, you've lost SO much weight".. Weird...it was only five pounds since they saw me.

Sabrina:)

I had lost maybe 15 when the first person said something to me who didn't know about the surgery. It caught me off guard because I wasn't ready for that yet and really hadn't noticed much of a difference in myself at that time. It was then around the 30 mark before anyone else who didn't know said anything.

The people that knew about the surgery started saying things 2-3 weeks after the surgery. I lost in my face first which is why it was so much more noticeable on me as the face isn't really hidden by clothes.

I am only at 16 pounds, but finally last week I was able to pull out some older clothes that used to fit and wore them. People told me I look great, but never mentioned weight. I figured they probably can't tell if it's the new attitude, new clothes or weight.

I am down almost 40lbs and many sizes in about a month, but no one has said anything to me yet, accept my husband - but he doesn't really count. :huh:

WOW, Jessica! Great job on the weight loss in only one month!!! WAY TO GO!!

Everyone's stories are great! I'm so glad to see that I'm not alone in my thinking, when I'm like, "What the heck, people! I just lost 20 lbs!!" :lol: The few people who know, I feel like they just say that it looks like I'm losing weight to motivate me. The people that don't know...that's what I'm waiting for! I'll keep trecking along. I think I'll list that as a NSV that I'm waiting for. How sweet that day will be!! ^_^

:lb14:

I have lost 74 pounds so far and after the first 25-30 is when people noticed. I really like the number on the scale to go down, but I love the way my clothes are fitting and the fact I have had to buy new clothes. I wear from 10-12 in jeans depending on the cut and my tops are large's (still got the girls too) Although I have gone from a 40D to a 36D. Was really happy about that one. :D

Oh, and two days ago I bought a tunic and leggings & a another shirt all in size Medium. Also I bought new workout pants at Macys in mediums too. Woohoo

First time since before I had kids that I have worn a medium in anything.

I really wanted to get into the 150s before my trip to Philadelphia on Tuesday, but no complaints.

I am so close to the 75 pound loss mark, I am ecstatic... :cheerleader:

Well, I am off now,

Hugs,

Kristi

For me the only reason people really noticed was because my clothes weren't fitting. That was probably 20-30 lbs. It's too funny the same thing has happened to me as some others. From around May to Sept I lost 5lbs if that and around that time everyone kept saying I was the incredible shrinking woman. I think our bodies sometimes go in cycles where the inches are coming off, but the weight isn't and vice versa.

A lot of people are hesitant to say anything to someone when it comes to weight loss. I was at a conference in Feb (4 months out of surgery) and while we ate lunch someone asked why I didn't take bread and I started talking about that I was trying to lose weight and then you could feel this literal sigh of relief come over everyone and they were like "I can tell you have lost a lot" and things like that. So don't think they don't notice b/c i'm sure they do. I had one of the police officers at work one day say "OK, I know you aren't supposed to ask a woman this, but have you lost weight?" which was funny b/c I had lost like 40 by then! :)

I have heard that most people will not notice that you have lost any weight until you lose 10% of your body weight. That is when they will start to notice. But then you have to realize there are those people who would not notice if you shaved your head and grew a moustache. :)

You know and that is what is really important. enjoy and celebrate every pound you lose because you are one step closer to your goal and a new healthy you :lol:

We are all doing an amazing job because we decided that we would take our lifes into our own hands and change our destinies. We all rock and all should be commended whether it is 5 pounds or 205 pounds lost. We are doing something about our lifes to make them better.

Can I hear and Amen sistas!

Debbie

Some of my closest friends have not noticed. There have been 3 people who have made genuine compliments.

To be frank, most of my coworkers are to tuned into their own lives to pay to much attention to me. Once I mentioned how much I had lost in casual comncersation and my friend looked suprised. I am wearing cloths that hides my bulk, so it doesn't come as to big of a suprise. I have lost a pot of weight in my face.

My hubby has definitely noticed!!!

I am going to see a bunch of old friends this coming week that I have not seen for 2, 4, or 6 years. I can pretty much guarantee you they will all notice the 85 lbs. that had been lost as of this morning. Only two of them know about the lap band and only one has been priveleged enough to see my progression pictures. I am so excited I can hardly stand it!

I have heard that most people will not notice that you have lost any weight until you lose 10% of your body weight. That is when they will start to notice. But then you have to realize there are those people who would not notice if you shaved your head and grew a moustache. :)

You know and that is what is really important. enjoy and celebrate every pound you lose because you are one step closer to your goal and a new healthy you :lol:

We are all doing an amazing job because we decided that we would take our lifes into our own hands and change our destinies. We all rock and all should be commended whether it is 5 pounds or 205 pounds lost. We are doing something about our lifes to make them better.

Can I hear and Amen sistas!

Debbie

AMEN SISTA!!!