never been banded

hi everyone i am currently checking into the lap band procedure with Dr. Ortiz. I am canadian and realize that i would do it here if it wasn't 16000.00 dollars. However i have family and friends who are worried as soon as i tell them i want to go to mexico to get it done. Not only that i would be going on my own. Right now just deciding when...what I want to know is what is the average weightloss after this is done...and why do people gain wieght when this band is suppose to keep you from eating more? just a few questions to throw ou there...

hi everyone i am currently checking into the lap band procedure with Dr. Ortiz. I am canadian and realize that i would do it here if it wasn't 16000.00 dollars. However i have family and friends who are worried as soon as i tell them i want to go to mexico to get it done. Not only that i would be going on my own. Right now just deciding when...what I want to know is what is the average weightloss after this is done...and why do people gain wieght when this band is suppose to keep you from eating more? just a few questions to throw ou there...

i just got banded today! i'm actually sitting in the bed at the occ center! so, i totally confirm that occ is safe! i came by myself because my hubby couldn't get off of work and it was been wonderful!! they picked me up at the airport and took me straight to the marriott! they picked me up from the marriott at 7 and i met another girl getting surgery too! we are both from houston, go figure!! it was a nice vacation for me! still is! i feel great! i'm able to get up and walk with absolutely no pain!! of course i still have pain meds in me, but i foresee myself sleeping on my stomach tonight..we shall see!

it was been a wonderful experience! oh and i get to stay at the occ for the night instead of hotel which i am excited about! occ has phone to call u.s. and their cable tv is muuuuuch better than the hotel where i only had like 4 channels in english!! haha!!

Hi I am a fellow Canadian . I live on Vancouver Island in B.C. I also am a Registered Nurse and was banded at the OCC on Sept 29th. I travelled by myself to the OCC and it was a wonderful experience. EVerything went smoothly. I flew into San Diego and was picked up at the Airport and driven to the OCC to have blood drawn. I was then taken to the Marriott to a lovely room.

As a Registered Nurse i can tell you the OCC is cleaner and nicer than any Canadian facility I have seen. Their OR has top of the art equiptment and the staff are all amazing.

I would not hesitate to suggest the OCC to anyone.

Regarding family. I did not tell my family until after I had surgery. Their was not way they could try and talk me out of then and give me a bunch of grief about Mexico.

I am so happy that I made the decision to get banded and I am thrilled that I went to the OCC to have it done.

This Forum is also amazing and everyone is so helpful.

Look forward to hearing more from you and don't worry having the lap band at the OCC is a breeze

Debbie

Debbie - glad to see you are doing good! (I met Debbie in the OCC van on her way to be banded as I was getting an unfill)

Thanks I am doing great. Start solid foods tomorrow. Was glad to read that you were doing better after your unfill.

Debbie

Im from Alberta as well. I am saving to be banded. Hoping for early next year.

Chaer I think the average weight loss will greatly vary from person to person. I guess it depends on how much you have to lose and if you excercise or not. Thats what my reasearching has lead me to believe. Anyone have any other insight on this?

Agreed it is very person to person. You will see weight loss across the board on here. The band is a tool and it does a percentage of the work and the rest is still up to me. Exercise, eating right and having a positive attitude. Also, you have to keep up on your fills too that is huge to your success. Not only getting them, but making sure you aren't too tight!

My mom was in the medical field for 30 yrs and she went with me and was very pleased with the center. Everything is top notch and I agree much better than many hospitals i've been to in the US! Unfortunately I can't afford to go back, but I was able to get hooked up w/ a great doctor for aftercare through OCC. They are very supportive of helping you find someone local if you can't make it back.