bladder surgery tomorrow

For those who have had other surgeries since being banded, is there anything my medical team should know? I'm going to ask for liquid pain killers in case I can't swallow pills. Anything else? Do you typically tighten up after being put under? It's supposed to be pretty painful, plus I hate being put out for any reason, so I am a nervous wreck....much more anxious than I was getting banded. Boo-hoo.

Sabrina:)

Oh good luck!!!! I haven't had any major surgery since, but I do always question what type of drugs they are going to give to me to make sure they aren't too big. Also, surgery is a stressful thing so i'd make sure you aren't too tight to start with. I would mention it to them just in case.

Good luck!!

Hi Sabrina,

I actually had that surgery done along with a total hysterectomy after being banded. I was banded on Sept. 1, 08, and had the other Nov 24, 08. Like Shelby said just make sure that you are not already too tight before having the surgery as you will need protein and good nutrition to heal. I didn't focus so much on losing during my recovery, I focused more on good nutrition for healing. It took six weeks for full recovery with the hysterectomy. You should recover much much quicker if they are only doing the TVT. They gave me percocet and I didn't have any trouble getting it down. Just make sure you have some food with it. You also will have to make sure and get in a lot of liquids as they will want you to go to the bathroom every two hours to keep your bladder going.

Good luck and let us know how you do. If have some other questions feel free to PM me, I would be more than happy to help.

Dawn

I have had two surgeries since being banded and didn't have a problem either time. First surgery I took a pain pill before I left the surgery center and did just fine. I had had a fill the day before this surgery and had asked both doctors if that would be okay and they said it would. The only thing I refused to do after the surgery was take and anti-inflammatory meds. I agreed to get some in my IV, but refused the pills, this was a little bewildering to the anesthesia guy, but he lived.

For my TT I had no problem either and didn't even eat anything at all after the surgery that day. The nice part is that I didn't get hungry either, but I was ready for some breakfast the next morning.

You will do fine tomorrow. Just give us an update when you are able to.

Good luck Sabrina - know that you are in good hands. Just go with the flow and if you are not comfy, express it. I haven't had an surgery since being banded but I can imagine it's the same for surgeries, to be wise and think of the aftercare like Dawns memtioned. Getting in your proteins and nutrients are essentials to your healing. Drink lots of water to help flush out your system.

Keep us posted sweetie and Happy Birthday! ((HUGS))...Jazzy!!

I had my gallbladder out last week. I was given a liquid pain killer afterwards and a painkiller that I breathed through my nose. The band felt a big loose, actually, for several days after and I got worried that maybe something got nicked. But eventually everything tightened back up.

Good luck with your surgery and recovery!

I had a bladder repair 6 weeks before my band and no pain pills need piece of cake. Good luck!

good luck to you!

I just had a 7 hour spinal neurosurgery 3 weeks ago and my neurosurgeon or the team did not even blink about the band. I was able to take my pills just fine. you will be just fine!