drinking after eating

What is the exact reason we can't drink while we eat?..and how long do you have to wait to drink after eating. I read some where that after a fill, u only wait 30 mins to drink after you eat?...is that true?

FOR ME, I WAIT AN HOUR AFTER I EAT. THE IDEA IS TO HOLD THE FOOD IN YOUR POUCH AS LONG AS POSSIBLE. DRINKING JUST FLUSHES THE FOOD THROUGH FASTER

Drinking while you eat not only has he potential to wash the food thru faster, it also has the potential to overfill the pouch and cause it to stretch or the esophagaus to dilate which is not good. I was told to wait about 30 minutes after I eat before I start drinking. I typically wait longer because I am at the point that I forget to pay attention to how much I drink plus I just really don't want to drink anything these days.

Drinking during / right after eating can have another side effect too - that of making you puke. For example, if you just ate a slice of toast (for those who can actually eat toast) and then drink water, the bread can swell, overfilling the pouch, or gum up, which can cause food to stick. Both result in a return trip for your meal. Trust me, it's not fun and something to be avoided at all cost!

Could you stretch your pouch before you get your first fill?..how do you know when you stretch your pouch?

It's virtually impossible to stretch your pouch out when you're not filled. That's why people get complete un-fills if their pouch does stretch. The food / drink goes straight through the band an into the larger part of your stomach. Even if you eat way more than you should, it will only stretch the part of your stomach under the band.

It's virtually impossible to stretch your pouch out when you're not filled. That's why people get complete un-fills if their pouch does stretch. The food / drink goes straight through the band an into the larger part of your stomach. Even if you eat way more than you should, it will only stretch the part of your stomach under the band.

Beth, thank you so much, that's exactly what I wanted to know. I think I started a topic before..(asking about 2 stomachs)..and not understanding if the food went straight to your stomach or does it stay in your pouch, when your not filled.

Thank you everyone else for their input as well

And on another note... when you are on the liquid diet after surgery, I imagine you can drink during meals since it all fluids, right? Seems like the drinking thing would only matter during the solids stage.

Hey janellody,

I haven't ever posted on here but I saw this and wanted to respond since I had the same question and asked my surgeon. He said that you should still apply the no liquids 30 mins before/after so that you get into habit because it is much easier when you're on the liquid then when you are trying to eat solids.

Before your fills that is the time for you to practice good habits. You probably could stretch your pouch, but is unlikely. But you really want to get into those good habits early. For me the hardest was drinking and eating, but if I can do it anyone can!! :) It is still tough sometimes, but just don't keep any drinks near you and it helps.

I stick with a rule where I can drink right up until I eat then nothing for 45 - 60 after. Really depends on what I eat if it's more hearty I wait 60.