I need HELP! Is my band too tight?

KateOC

Hi Everyone,

I would appreciate as much feedback as possible. I was banded in May 2009; had my first fill 7 weeks later. My last fill was in September 2009. My weight was going great...up til before I had my 2nd fill, I believe my weight loss was 30-35 lbs. After my 2nd fill (4 months ago) I lost an addition 10 lbs or so. My trouble/question that I have is concerning the restriction. Since my 2nd fill There are days that any attempt to eat solid food, it gets stuck and I find myself in the bathroom bringing it back up. Then there are other days that I seem to be okay. While I was losing, I suffered through it and tried to be as careful as I can. However...I have not lost any weight since October. In fact I think in the last month I have put on 3-5 lbs, feel bloated, feel like I look fatter etc.

Could my band be too tight? Is an unfill maybe something I should go do? It doesn't make sense to me with little eating and when I do eat having it come back up in the bathroom and i am still NOT losing weight.

However, in the evening, I seem to to be able to eat more (maybe cuz i'm starving) and I do, when it doesn't get stuck!

I don't want to get an unfill, put of fear that I might eat too much and gain. I don't understand why it's only sometimes I have trouble eating. Sorry this is long, and maybe a little confusing to read...but it's a refection of how confused my thoughts are are the moment of what to do!

Thanks!

Kate

what sort of 'solid' food are you attempting to eat?

I know for me, with more restriction, there are many foods i just can't eat anymore ...

Feeling/looking 'fatter' - have you been working out during this process?

Losing weight is often not enough for many - replacing fat with muscle is the key.

Bloating can also be caused by dehydration. Have you drastically reduced your H20 intake since your last fill?

Do you drink coffee/tea or something else that's warm/hot before eating?

I find having something warm prior to eating can really loosen my band for the day - which can be both a pro & con!

what sort of 'solid' food are you attempting to eat?

I know for me, with more restriction, there are many foods i just can't eat anymore ...

Feeling/looking 'fatter' - have you been working out during this process?

Losing weight is often not enough for many - replacing fat with muscle is the key.

Bloating can also be caused by dehydration. Have you drastically reduced your H20 intake since your last fill?

I find having something warm prior to eating can really loosen my band for the day - which can be both a pro & con!

Thanks for your response.

Solid foods are cheese, chicken, cottage cheese, ground beef, eggs, lettuce, tomatoes, vegetables. At times, no problems...other times hell! I stay away from breads and flour tortillas---learned the hard way. With that being said, last night, I had a 6"subway and not a problem at all (late at night); yet a spoon of chili in the afternoon, got stuck!

I haven't being doing exercise routines. I do teach dance and have found that since I have lost weight, I do dance with the kids a little more. I probably should get a little routine going here and see if that helps. Water...I don't drink as much as I did when I first had the surgery (however, I was drinking over a gallon/day at that time!)On MOST days I drink at least 64oz of water.

I have found that because I haven't been eating in the morning (too many bad experiences have scared me off) that I am drinking A LOT of coffee. Maybe that's my downfall...by evening, my band is well open/less restricted.

I have a few thoughts to offer. After a fill, there is a time period where you the user adjusts to it. After my fill in December, it took me a bit to adjust....wrap my head around the "new" amounts of food I can eat. I was struggling with my head over it. I made the decision if I couldn't get my head and fill on the same page, I would go for a tinsy unfill. That being said, personally I think you should either adjust you meals to fit the fill. For example suppliment with a protein shake for breakfast. Eat soft proteins for lunch. Then end your day with a sensible dinner. Work with it. If you are not able to then go in for a tinsy unfill.

The beauty of the band is that you get to keep it at the level you are comfortable with. Some of my friends run with there bands super duper tight. Others don't have much restriction at all and limit there food intake on there own. Do what works for you.

• Like 3

AHH! I completely know what you're saying, as I'm experiencing the joys of 'what the hell! i ate this with no issues 2 days ago, and today, it's coming back up!'

It sounds like you're still figuring out your restriction levels, too ... There are some days, I can barely get down coffee, while others, like you, late in the evening, I see myself easily eating a bowl of milk drenched bran flakes.

I'm still wondering myself, why some days, things are a bitch to go down, and others, I actually have caught myself wondering if my band has slipped!

I would definitely get into working out. If anything, it will help your confidence in your weight loss & you won't find yourself worrying about restriction & your food in take. Since I've started working out again, I find myself not worrying as much, and just trying to let my body tell me when I need to eat.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Kate,

I would love to hear what you have done. About 3 months ago or so I started having problems. Now I feel like one minute I am having issues with LIQUIDS!!! and then the next I am eating a footlong from Subway! I don't understand it. In the mornings I am sooooo run down because I cannot eat or drink without issues, and then at lunch time I am throwing it up before I can get any real satisfaction from the food. I hate how I am feeling all the time and hate that I have actually started to gain weight back...I don't understand it. I figure some of the gain is because I find i can finally keep food down after 9 or 10pm and only after getting something stuck and forcing it out or down.

Any info is appreciated!

Sara

Look at this post by LoriBecky. It gives a guideline on good and bad fills. I think Dolittle's post about increasing you chance of a good fill also says something. NO WHERE do I see that barfing up liquids falls into the good fill category. In fact, barfing up anything, unless over eating, seems like an over fill.

http://www.occforum.com/index.php?showtopic=9703

Thanks Lindsay for mentioning this. I am going to keep this in mind.