Frustrated BEYONd belief!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was banded 12-29 at OCC with the SAGB-VC band. I have had 3 fills and am upt to 7cc and still have lost no weight. I am drinking my protein, have some restriction, but still not losing weight. I am worried something is not right. Anyone else have the same band (which holds 11ccs) If so, at what point did you find your sweet spot?? How many ccs do you have and at what point did you begin to lose weight????

Hi,

I have the same size band and you can see my fill levels from my stats below. I had restriction on my 2nd fill and now I'm at my sweet spot 2 weeks out of the month and I'm trying to decide if I want to get a little bit more. My weight loss has stalled but it's because I went crazy with chocolate for awhile and I've been a little lazy about following the band rules. Did you really mean to say that you are drinking your protein? That's probably not helping if you are doing that. My fill dr. said to always start every meal with solid protein because it is the most difficult to digest.

I'm getting back on track by measuring and logging all my food for awhile. I don't like doing this, but it is really enlightening to see just how the calories add up during the day.

I try not to beat up on myself too much, if I didn't have an eating problem then I wouldn't need the band. So I just try to do my best and keep correcting my course along the way. Restriction helps us make better eating decisions, but we can still eat way too many calories if we don't change our habits.

I hope you can find what works for you, I know how frustrating it can be to feel stuck.

I talked to Dr. So today and he reinforced what Dr. O told me (hehe "Dr. So & Dr. O"), and that was not to test the band to see how much food you can eat but to test it to see how little you can eat and still feel satisfied. He also told me to stay away from protein drinks and to have a solid breakfast and to eat my protein first (Kristi told me that yesterday too).

We were all told that it's not a magic bullet but a tool. I know when I'm hanging a picture I don't lay the nail and hammer down and look at them wondering why they aren't working. I have to apply my effort too. I paid quite a bit for this band and I really hope I don't flush the money down the drain or down my gullet.

I too am writing down what I'm eating and I'm still at the liquid phase. I know how easy those extra calories can slip in. I'm also fortunate that OCC is a short drive away so I can get my fills with fluoro.

I was banded 12-29 at OCC with the SAGB-VC band. I have had 3 fills and am upt to 7cc and still have lost no weight. I am drinking my protein, have some restriction, but still not losing weight. I am worried something is not right. Anyone else have the same band (which holds 11ccs) If so, at what point did you find your sweet spot?? How many ccs do you have and at what point did you begin to lose weight????

You and I are in the same boat. I have the same band as you and frankly resent it. Still waiting for the thousands of dollars in investment to start paying off. Friday is my 4 month bandiversary and still waiting to cash out. I lost 18 pounds with Weight Watchers so far in 4 months. 4h fill at the OCC coming this month. See, just what I expected, you are at 7cc w/o restriction & I am at 6.6cc, which tells me my gut instinct is correct. I am going to need at least 7.5cc but that will mean another fill next month too.

Its so disappointing to read this is happening to everyone. I just got banded last week and now Im so worried I flushed a big chunk of change down the drain. I dont even know what band I have. I dont remember them telling me, but I was pretty out of it. I dont even have a receipt to reference. It sounds like this experience is becoming more and more common for us newly banded. Why is this happening? Is the band flawed? Is it diet? Oh goodness...

Its so disappointing to read this is happening to everyone. I just got banded last week and now Im so worried I flushed a big chunk of change down the drain. I dont even know what band I have. I dont remember them telling me, but I was pretty out of it. I dont even have a receipt to reference. It sounds like this experience is becoming more and more common for us newly banded. Why is this happening? Is the band flawed? Is it diet? Oh goodness...

I am reading this thread with interest. My suggestion to you is to call and request the name of the type of band used on you so you know. My daughter was banded in January, and I am going down at the end of the month. The center gave everyone who had surgery the day of my daughter's surgery a card for their wallets, so not sure what happened with you. But, having read this thread I will be sure to mention everyone's concern and request NOT to have this brand of band placed. The book I read by Dr. O, did say that all bands were pretty much the same except the "hard" vs. "soft" so maybe the thing to do is call and express your concerns.

Michele

Is ANYONE with this band having success?? Has anyone reached their sweet spot with this band? I'm worried now.

I have this band and have been very successful . I have not had a fill yet and have lost 1-3 pounds a week consistently since I was banded.

Don't get discouraged. We are all different but I have the same band as you and have done really well

Debbie

Honestly, though I think I'd rather have the ability to add more saline then to not be able to reduce the tightness of the fill.

This is a life long process with weight and seems healthier than gastric bypass so it's a gradual process.

Like if we had the 10cm 4 cc band we'd have restriction but if it was too much you wouldn't be able to do much about it except have it removed.

I specifically asked Dr. Ortiz for the smaller 4cc band before surgery after doing my homework ahead of time and he basically said the smaller band was not an option.

Yes, those of us with lower BMI's loose weight at a slower rate then those with higher BMI's, however, that being said Dr. Miranda said that all patients should be loosing an average of 1 - 2 pounds a week. My average has been 0.8 pounds per week with 3 fills AND following the Holly Gospel of Weight Watchers.

Debbie, I love you with all my heart but in all honesty I believe your fabulous diet has the most to do with your wonderful weight loss. You eat the same thing everyday and even at 1200 calories, I for one would not be able to follow the strict regime that you are on day after day. A can of tuna and 5 crakers for lunch just is not going to cut it for me. You are a stronger and more powerful woman then I am. :wub:

I specifically asked Dr. Ortiz for the smaller 4cc band before surgery after doing my homework ahead of time and he basically said the smaller band was not an option.

Yes, those of us with lower BMI's loose weight at a slower rate then those with higher BMI's, however, that being said Dr. Miranda said that all patients should be loosing an average of 1 - 2 pounds a week. My average has been 0.8 pounds per week with 3 fills AND following the Holly Gospel of Weight Watchers.

Debbie, I love you with all my heart but in all honesty I believe your fabulous diet has the most to do with your wonderful weight loss. You eat the same thing everyday and even at 1200 calories, I for one would not be able to follow the strict regime that you are on day after day. A can of tuna and 5 crakers for lunch just is not going to cut it for me. You are a stronger and more powerful woman then I am. :wub:

so what's the "in-between" band? If he won't use the 4cc and the 11cc isn't working well.

so what's the "in-between" band? If he won't use the 4cc and the 11cc isn't working well.

There isnt one at the OCC (or at least there was not when I was banded. I was told that there is the 4cc, the 11cc and for patients who required it, a 14cc.

I am getting the impression that there is a 10cc band available to US Surgeons.

There isnt one at the OCC (or at least there was not when I was banded. I was told that there is the 4cc, the 11cc and for patients who required it, a 14cc.

I am getting the impression that there is a 10cc band available to US Surgeons.

geez that's crappy - I had no idea. What did he say when you asked for the 4cc band? that you were too small? I mean what was the reasoning behind it?

Oh! Let's not forget Dr. Ortiz said that apple shapes find better restriction earlier on then pear shapes!

I for one am an extreme pear. I cannot wear skirts & my pants gap at the waiste but I have to buy pants in larger sizes to go over my hips & thighs. In a top I can get a way with a size small-medium but in pants they have to be large or extra large. I have never carried weight around my middle even at my heaviest. I have always had a tiny waist and elephant legs. I loose weight first in my chest, face, and tummy since this is where I have the least concentration of fat cells. I am down to a sixe 34B in a bra from a 38C. At my smallest my bra size was a 34A. At my smallest it took me about 9 months to loose noticibly in my legs and hips.

geez that's crappy - I had no idea. What did he say when you asked for the 4cc band? that you were too small? I mean what was the reasoning behind it?

My mother & I understood him to say that it was no longer available, however, he says I mis-understood him. So I guess it is still available and he just prefers to use the larger band.

My advice to you and to anyone else who is about to be banded is ask before you go. Call your patient Coordinator, call Dr. Ortiz and if need be call the manuafucturer and find out what is and what is not available at the OCC. Make sure everyone gives you clear and detailed info.

I just got back from my 2nd fill on Monday. I have restriction now. My first fill it seem like it lasted one week. I am not pushing what I eat and mark down on www.livestrong.com EVERY thing I eat or drink and if you don't watch it really adds up. It is free ! and I love it! I also spoke to Dr. So and Dr. Miranda while I was there and they asked if I was following the guide lines of what to eat and the amount of food at meals. Eating slow, chewing my food. I have lost 19 lbs since November and said that this is not too slow that you don't want to lose too fast. Also reminded me that this is a TOOL not to think this is a magic weight loss surgery. Please try using the web site and see if you are not getting enough calories or too many...... Are you exercising ? I also have a 11 cc band and have had 2.6 cc's added at each fill. :wub:

That was one of my very first questions...what type of band do the Doctors at OCC use. I was informed that it depends on what you as an individual need. Not really having the answer I wanted, I looked around for information. Johnson and Johnson has been around for some time now. The Alergan Lap-Band is the newest of the two. I am not sure how many there really are. My concern is the number of times going back to Mexico for fills since I live in the KC area. I have tried to contact doctors around the KC area and have not had any luck with a return call. I am very new at this so I am not sure. My biggest concern is IF I go with the Johnson and Johnson brand of band and here in KC the most popular doctor doing this surgery is a BIG advocate for Allergan Lap-Band...am I going to have problems finding some around here to do the fills? I was also informed that before a doctor is able to use certain bands, they must be certified in the correct use of them. How do we find this information? I am not being negative, I just want to know the rules before I begin. Any information about the different bands and why one is better to use? I am so glad I read the information from you folk who have been facing the same problem I am facing. I will be asking many more questions now. Thanks for all the information and should I find more information, I will let you know.

I think everyone needs to wait at least 6 months before complaining that the band doesn't work. I don't think anyone said this would happen overnight, we should ALL know that without proper restriction, the band IS NOT DOING IT'S JOB. I am completely unfilled right now and if I don't lose weight, it's because I DON'T HAVE PROPER RESTRICTION. Sometimes it can take 6 months to get to the sweet spot, and then AT THAT POINT, you will start losing weight. If you are not at your sweet spot, then OF COURSE you are not going to lose 1-2 pounds per week, because you are eating the same amount you did before.

This is not an overnight process. It requires some patience. If in a year you are down 50 pounds, isn't that better than being the same weight in a year or possibly UP in a year? Look at the big picture, stop weighing every day if it gets you down. Do the part of the plan you can control, watch your calories, exercise, etc. When you get to proper restriction, you should be losing weight. If you are at PROPER restriction and you are not losing weight, THEN contact the doctors and ask what is up.

I think everyone needs to remember how the band works and just have some patience.

• Like 1

Debbie, I love you with all my heart but in all honesty I believe your fabulous diet has the most to do with your wonderful weight loss. You eat the same thing everyday and even at 1200 calories, I for one would not be able to follow the strict regime that you are on day after day. A can of tuna and 5 crakers for lunch just is not going to cut it for me. You are a stronger and more powerful woman then I am. wub.gif

I think Debbie is able to stay on that diet BECAUSE OF THE BAND and you are having success with WW because of it too. We've all been on diets and failed because we were so freaking hungry the entire time. I've been drinking liquids for almost 20 days now and I know it's part will power and partly the band. Of course it's her diet, that's the idea behind the band, to help us manage our diet better. I know I'm still going to have to say "no" to foods I want. I'm still going to want yummy cocktails and chocolate and I don't expect the band to prevent me from wanting that. But I'm hoping that it will at least help with curbing my massive appetite that makes it even harder to say no.

I KNOW that most of this will be me. My husband bought peanut butter and chocolate syrup (because he's from the devil) and you don't think it crossed my mind 10 million times that I could have a liquid Reese's Peanut butter cup (my favorite)? I threw them both out and reminded him that I'll keep doing that because I need to lose weight. However, since I'm feeling restriction like never before it was easier to say "no" and throw it out. Cravings and constant hunger are a dangerous combo (is there a K.D. Lang song in there?). I'm still craving, like I'm sure Debbie is, but the band is cutting down on our hunger.

One of the things Dr. O told me during our consult last year was that one of the reasons people were thinner back in the day was because there wasn't as much variety. People ate the same things. That stuck with me and even before I saw Debbie's meal plans I figured I'd try to stick to what worked and then "treat" myself to some variety now and again. Every meal doesn't have to be a blow out. Anyway, when I saw Debbie's meal plans it just confirmed it for me. I saw she was doing something she probably couldn't do before (I know I couldn't) and she inspired me. Still does and will continue to. I wanna be Debbie when my band grows up.

*update* something else Dr. O and Dr. So said. "Don't test your band to see how much you can eat. Test to see how little you can eat and walk away satisfied." That let me know that I got work to do.

All I'm going to say is I have this band, and I lost over 140 pounds. Eat the protein first, then veggies - followed by fruit and then carbs. Measure, make sure that each is only 1/4 cup - like what was said, don't test it and make sure you're not drinking your calories. Add in exercise and work your but off and your band will work for you. And work it means getting fills when you need them - or unfills.

Good luck - I know this isn't going to be popular - but I strongly believe we own our own success or failures.

Lisa

• Like 2

I was just banded a couple of weeks ago and I too couldn't remember if they said which band I got. So I emailed Lori and she had Gloria email me my surgery report that has the band on it.

I totally agree with Lisa. I got the band at the end of September 09 and I've decided to stop weighing myself. I just stick to the band rules MOST of the time, exercise, and the weight is slowly coming off. People notice. I feel good and strong. I have only had one fill and I have the 11cc band. No complaints!!

I think Debbie is able to stay on that diet BECAUSE OF THE BAND and you are having success with WW because of it too. We've all been on diets and failed because we were so freaking hungry the entire time. I've been drinking liquids for almost 20 days now and I know it's part will power and partly the band. Of course it's her diet, that's the idea behind the band, to help us manage our diet better. I know I'm still going to have to say "no" to foods I want. I'm still going to want yummy cocktails and chocolate and I don't expect the band to prevent me from wanting that. But I'm hoping that it will at least help with curbing my massive appetite that makes it even harder to say no.

I KNOW that most of this will be me. My husband bought peanut butter and chocolate syrup (because he's from the devil) and you don't think it crossed my mind 10 million times that I could have a liquid Reese's Peanut butter cup (my favorite)? I threw them both out and reminded him that I'll keep doing that because I need to lose weight. However, since I'm feeling restriction like never before it was easier to say "no" and throw it out. Cravings and constant hunger are a dangerous combo (is there a K.D. Lang song in there?). I'm still craving, like I'm sure Debbie is, but the band is cutting down on our hunger.

One of the things Dr. O told me during our consult last year was that one of the reasons people were thinner back in the day was because there wasn't as much variety. People ate the same things. That stuck with me and even before I saw Debbie's meal plans I figured I'd try to stick to what worked and then "treat" myself to some variety now and again. Every meal doesn't have to be a blow out. Anyway, when I saw Debbie's meal plans it just confirmed it for me. I saw she was doing something she probably couldn't do before (I know I couldn't) and she inspired me. Still does and will continue to. I wanna be Debbie when my band grows up.

*update* something else Dr. O and Dr. So said. "Don't test your band to see how much you can eat. Test to see how little you can eat and walk away satisfied." That let me know that I got work to do.

you're absolutely right. I think it's the mental hunger that's hardest to get over but really when you have both the mental and the physical hunger those are both so hard to fight off - so the band seems that it will help with the physical portion and give me a little help. I'm surprised I've stayed on this pre-op diet for 8 days now. So the fact that you're still on your liquid phase - as you are aware - its probably not something you could have done without the band.

When I decided to get the band in the first place it was to give myself some hope. So i'm sticking with that and I'll trust Dr. Ortiz with his best judgment for me and my body.