Frustrated BEYONd belief!!!!!!!!!!!!

All I'm going to say is I have this band, and I lost over 140 pounds. Eat the protein first, then veggies - followed by fruit and then carbs. Measure, make sure that each is only 1/4 cup - like what was said, don't test it and make sure you're not drinking your calories. Add in exercise and work your but off and your band will work for you. And work it means getting fills when you need them - or unfills.

Good luck - I know this isn't going to be popular - but I strongly believe we own our own success or failures.

Lisa

awesome! thanks for posting!

That was one of my very first questions...what type of band do the Doctors at OCC use. I was informed that it depends on what you as an individual need. Not really having the answer I wanted, I looked around for information. Johnson and Johnson has been around for some time now. The Alergan Lap-Band is the newest of the two. I am not sure how many there really are. My concern is the number of times going back to Mexico for fills since I live in the KC area. I have tried to contact doctors around the KC area and have not had any luck with a return call. I am very new at this so I am not sure. My biggest concern is IF I go with the Johnson and Johnson brand of band and here in KC the most popular doctor doing this surgery is a BIG advocate for Allergan Lap-Band...am I going to have problems finding some around here to do the fills? I was also informed that before a doctor is able to use certain bands, they must be certified in the correct use of them. How do we find this information? I am not being negative, I just want to know the rules before I begin. Any information about the different bands and why one is better to use? I am so glad I read the information from you folk who have been facing the same problem I am facing. I will be asking many more questions now. Thanks for all the information and should I find more information, I will let you know.

Malley Surgical and Weight Loss Surgical Center will both see you. If you go to Malley call and schedule before you even have your surgery - they can take two months to get into for your first appt. Good luck!

I specifically asked Dr. Ortiz for the smaller 4cc band before surgery after doing my homework ahead of time and he basically said the smaller band was not an option.

Yes, those of us with lower BMI's loose weight at a slower rate then those with higher BMI's, however, that being said Dr. Miranda said that all patients should be loosing an average of 1 - 2 pounds a week. My average has been 0.8 pounds per week with 3 fills AND following the Holly Gospel of Weight Watchers.

Debbie, I love you with all my heart but in all honesty I believe your fabulous diet has the most to do with your wonderful weight loss. You eat the same thing everyday and even at 1200 calories, I for one would not be able to follow the strict regime that you are on day after day. A can of tuna and 5 crakers for lunch just is not going to cut it for me. You are a stronger and more powerful woman then I am. wub.gif

I quess it depends on how bad you want to lose the weight. I am a woman on a mission. I follow the rules Dr Ortiz gave me. I eat the portions he said, I exercise 7 days a week and have not missed one day since I got banded, I do strength training 3 days a week. I eat what I eat every day because it is easy and I really enjoy it. I have a very busy job and tuna and crackers is easy to eat at my desk and fills me up completely. Tomatoe Pie I adore and am addicted to, and dinners I change all the time.

When I spent this money I told myself it would not be wasted. This was my chance to change my life and that is what I have done. The band is not what causes weight to fall off. It is using it as a tool to control your appetite and following the rules set out by the OCC that causes the weight to fall off. I truly believe with all my heart if you follow the program, exercise your butt off and drink your water that anyone can lose weight steadily no matter if you are apple shaped, pear shaped, high BMI or lower BMI.

I am no stroner or no more powerful than you girl, I am just choosing to make good choices and reach my goal as fast as I can.

I know that you can do it too!!

Debbie

• Like 2

Debbie, so glad to hear your meals and portions work for you and you are feeling restriction without any fills.I myself find that I am not satisfied after eating 1 slice of tomatoe pie or 3 ounces of tuna & 5 crackers or 2 tilapia fillets with 1/2 cup of cottage cheese for dinner like I tried the other night.

I excercise 30 minutes a day and track my weight watcher points every day. I am doing everything by the book and I am not experiencing restriction as of yet. Maybe Janelle is right, maybe in 6 months my band investment will kick in and I will have restriction or myabe I will be like Skymoon1982 and not find my sweet spot until I reach goal who knows. In the end it is all a crap shoot, even for those of us who follow the rules.

By the way, I do not weigh myself every day and have actually avoided the scale this week due to TOM and I do not plan on weighing until next week frankly.

Most nights I do go to bed hungry and I am okay with that since the band is not going to curb my appitite as that is no it's function. The band is designed to make you feel full, not to ward off hunger or control appitite, both of those sensations are generated from our brains, not our stomachs. My problem is I am not getting a "satified" sensation that comes form being full.

My rules

1. Drink at least 7 cups of water per day

2. I weigh or measure my food

3. When I order take out I account for the calories

4. When I consume liquid calories I account for them, even coffee

5. I track my food & excercise

6. I excercise 30 minutes a day

7. I maintain a calorie restriction of apporximately 1100 calories per day or 22 points

8. I avoid foods high in fat and/or low in fiber (8 gram or more of fat/2 grams or less of fiber)

9. I avoid higher calorie foods altogether

10. I avoid meats for the most part as they have a tendency to be higher in calories & replace meats with high protein foods such as cottage cheese, beans, fish & tofu. Also meats are harder to digest and stay in your system for longer periods of time which can be unhealthy.

11. I do not eat fast food or consume carbonaded beverages PERIOD!

12. I WAIT 30 minutes after a meal to take a sip of a beverage. Yes, I watch the clock.

13. If I can't count it, I don't bite it OR drink it. You will NOT see me at Starbucks guzzling down Frapachinos that's for sure. But you will find me at Robeck's having a 16 ounce peach smoothie (NOT the 24 ounce).

Janelle, yes, the band has been a financial motivator to stick with weight watchers but other then that there is no correlation between my band and my success on WW. It has been all me baby.

Debbie asked how bad I wanted to loose the weight, well how bad do you think I want to loose the weight? Would'nt you say I am a woman on a mission? I give myself an A+ for effort that is for sure.

Debbie, so glad to hear your meals and portions work for you and you are feeling restriction without any fills.I myself find that I am not satisfied after eating 1 slice of tomatoe pie or 3 ounces of tuna & 5 crackers or 2 tilapia fillets with 1/2 cup of cottage cheese for dinner like I tried the other night.

I excercise 30 minutes a day and track my weight watcher points every day. I am doing everything by the book and I am not experiencing restriction as of yet. Maybe Janelle is right, maybe in 6 months my band investment will kick in and I will have restriction or myabe I will be like Skymoon1982 and not find my sweet spot until after I hit goal who knows. In the end it is all a crap shoot, even for those of us who follow the rules.

By the way, I do not weigh myself every day and have actually avoided the scale this week due to TOM and I do not plan on weighing until next week frankly.

Most nights I do go to bed hungry and I am okay with that since the band is not going to curb my appitite as that is no it's function. The band is designed to make you feel full, not to ward off hunger or control appitite, both of those sensations are generated from our brains, not our stomachs. My problem is I am not getting a "satified" sensation that comes form being full.

My rules

7. I maintain a calorie restriction of apporximately 1100 calories per day or 22 points

8. I avoid foods high in fat and/or low in fiber.

10. I avoid meats for the most part as they have a tendency to be higher in calories & replace meats with high protein foods such as cottage cheese, beans, fish & tofu. Also meats are harder to digest and stay in your system for longer periods of time which can be unhealthy.

12. I WAIT 30 minutes after a meal to take a sip of a beverage. Yes, I watch the clock.

13. If I can't count it, I don't bite it OR drink it. You will NOT see me at Starbucks guzzling down Frapachinos that's for sure. But you will find me at Robeck's having a 16 ounce peach smoothie (NOT the 24 ounce).

Janelle, yes, the band has been a financial motivator to stick with weight watchers but other then that there is no correlation between my band and my success on WW. It has been all me baby.

Debbie asked how bad I wanted to loose the weight, well how bad do you think I want to loose the weight? Would'nt you say I am a woman on a mission? I give myself an A+ for effort that is for sure.

Sounds like you are doing everything right. Maybe you need to eat more calories. I eat usually 1400-1700 daily depending on what I am doing.

All I can say is if you are doing everything on this list then the weight eventually has to drop off even if is slow. Try not to get discouraged.

Deb

I was banded 12-29 at OCC with the SAGB-VC band. I have had 3 fills and am upt to 7cc and still have lost no weight. I am drinking my protein, have some restriction, but still not losing weight. I am worried something is not right. Anyone else have the same band (which holds 11ccs) If so, at what point did you find your sweet spot?? How many ccs do you have and at what point did you begin to lose weight????

What are you eating?

Specifically.

I excercise 30 minutes a day and track my weight watcher points every day. I am doing everything by the book and I am not experiencing restriction as of yet. Maybe Janelle is right, maybe in 6 months my band investment will kick in and I will have restriction or myabe I will be like Skymoon1982 and not find my sweet spot until I reach goal who knows. In the end it is all a crap shoot, even for those of us who follow the rules.

My rules

8. I avoid foods high in fat and/or low in fiber (8 gram or more of fat/2 grams or less of fiber)

Have you had your Thyroid levels done?...well I'm sure we all do pre-op, but the nurse in me wants to ask this first.

That sucks. I know I'd be very frustrated to be doing all that you are and to be finding myself in that position once again.

I talked to someone who was keeping a food and exercise log and went to her doctor complaining of her weight gain and the doctor brushed her off. If I remember correctly, she then went to another and he tested her and found out she had thyroid cancer. That shushed all those naysayers. If I was you I'd take my food and exercise journal to a doctor and get tested. Not saying you have cancer but you could have a thyroid problem.

Anway, hopefully you'll hit your sweet spot soon. We're all in this for the long haul and maybe it will take you longer to lose the weight you want but you will have lost it and if you're like me, you've tried and tried and never succeeded. I'd rather it take a few years and stay off forever than keep going up and down the rest of my life. Hang in there. It will happen.

I agree with alot that has been said in this post. I think for me I know I will always have what I call the "fluffy girl mind". I have ALWAYS been heavy and like Debbie said, you make up your mind and you stick to it. I am not going to say there are not days that I eat WHATEVER I can get my hands on and for me it is ALWAYS sweets, Ice Cream, Chocolate candy, like M%M's, things that go down REALLY easy for me. When I really think about the times that my weight stalls, it is not because my band is not working, it is because I am not working with my band. I will really look at what I am putting in my mouth, including liquids and see how much I am sitting on my butt instead of working out. I will be the first to say I thought this was going to be a Magical little thing and the weight was going to just fall off. You have to work and work hard and not give up ! It takes a special mind set and a special will power to do this thang,lol...but omy goodness it is sooooooooo worth it in the long run! So Please dont give up, take a step back and really look at what is going on with your stress level, what you are putting in your mouth, what kind of foods you are putting in your mouth and are you working out. I had to have one of those hard talks with my Fluffy girl mind and tell her that my butt was not going to shrink unless I got it wiggling a little... wink.gif

Good Luck Ladies!

Carrie

I had my thyroid checked so many times that it would make your head spin. I wanted to add one more thing that Carrie reminded me of: I am not and never have been an emotional eater.

Call me atypical but I honestly have to say that for every emotional crisis in my life (there have been about 5) I was at my thinest due to no desire for food. When my stress level peaks or when I am feeling very emotional my body shuts down and goes to auto pilot. Sort of like survival instinct. It is hard to expalin but if I am stressed, angry, depressed or sad and someone even mentions food I ask myself and sometimes vocalize the thought "How can you possibly even think about food at a time like this!" Today was one of those days folks! System shut down and I was on auto-pilot. No food for me, I have other things to worry about right now. I cannot even understand people who eat to comfort themselves. That thought is so strange to me. I would be overcome with so much guilt if I was eating during an emotional period. I mean then I would have to deal with the guilt of eating on top of all the other stuff I am dealing with. I guess Dr. Ortiz would just say I am like a guy that way. Too bad I cant loose weight like a guy, but I guess I am a gay man inside of a woman's body.

Professor Henry Higgins: By George, Eliza, the streets will be strewn with the bodies of men shooting themselves for your sake before I'm done with you.

Where oh where is my Henry Higgins??

Thanks brown eyed girl ;) But the one I am looking for one who wouldnt care :D

Awesome post, Carrie! I remember now that you and I have something in common - our love of ice cream. smile.gif

Thanks Margrate and yes I do like my Ice Cream, one good thing is that I have converted to Frozen Yogurt. We have this place in our town call Sweet Treats and they are wonderful. It is made for diabetics, no fat, no sugar, no carbs and 8 calories per ounce! YUMMO!!!! wink.gif

Hey guys, I guess I'll add my two cents worth. I too have the larger band and have continued to lose weight. I did my homework, and as far as I'm concerned picked the best Doctor I could. He has excellent credentials and an excellent record. I went into surgery with full trust that he was the doctor for me. At that point, the decisions (which band) I needed was up to him. I have followed the rules of OCC from the very being and still up to this point have not had bread, rice and the few other things they said could cause trouble. I just decided to stay away, since those are my weakness anyway. I had my first fill on Jan. 24th and really can't tell if I have much restriction. But I have not "tested" it either. I do know that I can not eat as much as I was and for that is has been a success for me. Dr. So did tell me that for every 20lbs. your body would plateau and sometimes that could last for 2 months or so. I am in no hurry to get fills and I am trying to let my body and the client walk my through the process. Dr. Miranda told me if I had any questions or plateaued and needed some help to move pass to just get her a call. That is what they are there for.

I have tried WW several times in the past and followed it to the letter....and gained weight each time. I think WW is a great program but it does not work for everyone. There must be something about it that my body just doesn't respond to.

I will be honest....I am not following a "diet". I am eating (for the first time in my life) properly. Protein, veggies and fruit. I do not count, write down and keep track....I know, I know. This is a life time change for me and not a "diet". I know that I would not continue to keep track for very long. I have made a conscious decision to pay attention to what I am putting in my mouth. It is my choices that are going to determine my success or not. I am very thankful that I now have something that will work with me instead of working my butt off and getting no where.

• Like 1

Hello All,

I just got on from being offline the last coupe of days. I have a 10cc band that I get at Balboa Naval Hospital San Diego and currently have lost 105 pounds in just over 10 months. My fills are to a max of 4.5cc's and for the first time the so called "sweet spot" is here.

I don't follow any diets, except that I stick to eating proteins, veggies and the occasional carb if it is at the table (rare).

I will allow myself treats now and then, but I am good about what I have and make sure it is not too bad.

I work-out 4-6 days a week and have a trainer twice a month. When I say I work-out 4-6 days a week, I am at the gym anywhere from 1 1/2 - 2 hours each day and I am going hard the entire time.

BTW Carrie, I am jealous that you have found frozen yogurt with that nutritional value. I love frozen yogurt and that is one of the treats I will allow myself. I also allow myself a caramel frappaccino light from Starbucks and I eat with a spoon. :P

I truly believe that if you work with your band, your band will work.

Have a great night all,

Hugs,

Kristi

Just wanted to say thanks to all those that have commented. I feel much better about my upcoming surgery. I know when I decided to get the band it was because I felt hopeless and setting the surgery has given me hope that it is possible for me to lose weight.

I always felt like I could, just needed some help with it.

So again thank you! you've all eased my mind about this a lot.

-Bianca

(((((((((((((((((((Hugs Everyone))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Hang in there! I can relate. Let's just say I am a serial dieter.

:)

Okie dokie. Fasten your safety belts for bruital honesty.

A little history on me first.

133 - 9/88 | Lowest weight since high school - size 7

165 - 4/91 | (After first baby) First Call to Jenny Craig (Husband wouldn't let me keep apt...BASTARD...lol) *I am divorced from him.

169 - 5/91 | First weigh in at Weight Watchers (I lost 7 lbs the first week but then dropped off the program after a week or two)

192 - 6/92 | Weight after my second child

217 - 6/93 | First weigh in a Jenny Craig

167 - 10/93 | Lowest weight on Jenny Craig (and lowest recorded weight since having children) *I then dropped Jenny Craig...I just lost my motivation...thought I could do it on my own...blah blah blah)

214 - Early 1995 | Joined weight watchers (1st restart I think)

175 - Summer 1995 | Dropped weight watchers...(blah blah blah, can do it on my own...you get the drill)

195 - Feb 1996 | Baby #3 on the way

215 - 11/96 | Weight after baby

240 - 1997 | Fen Fen Start (is that spelled correctly?)

219 - 1997 | Fen Fen Stop (taken off market)

230's - 2000 | Divorced, sometimes less, sometimes more...multiple ww starts, JC starts, medical ww starts, weight loss drug starts but always within 10 or 15 lbs of my 230's.

230's - 2001 | Went to work for JC

217 - 3/02 | Left JC Employment

225 - 4/02 | Joined ww (again)

200.2 - 8/02 | WW member but also had some JC one on one consults and ate some JC food

220's - 03 | WW member off and on, some JC appointments

220's - 2004 - 2006 | WW member off and on

280's - 01/09 | Most wonderful man in the world proposed.

294 - 3/07 | Highest weight ever! Joined WW and followed the program the way it was designed...(finally)

246 - 07/07 | Married my soul mate

212 - 02/08 | Lowest weight after WW restart

257 - 01/09 | Huh? Yea, I dropped WW, lost my motivation blah blah blah - First apt with a band doctor

237 - 03/09 | Almost died on operating table during surgery (yikes...)

248 - 5/09 | Changed doctors! Went to OCC.

224 - 6/09 | Lowest weight at home after surgery.

225 - 230 | Summer/Winter 09 (Two fills and WW restart)

234 - 3/10 | Weight on employers scale (yep...went back to work for JC)

222 - 3/10 | Lowest weight on home scale since surgery (huhah)

Okie dokie. Bruital honesty. Between the band, WW, and JC I'm down 72 lbs from my heaviest! Halfway to goal. Wheeeeeeeeeee. I think given my history, it's easy to see that my body seems to be comfortable in the 220's. That has been the number on the scale within a few lbs since I had my 3rd child. When I'm "on" a program, I'm in the low 200's, when I'm not "on" the program, I'm pushing the 250's.

With this in mind, I really have to give the band credit. I honestly think my body was getting ready to accept the 250's as the norm but because of the band I was able to erase a few years and bring my stable weight back into the 220's. Is it as much progress as I wanted when getting banded, but I know myself and if I can gain 11 lbs in 2 months between band operations (the first op, I didn't get the band - long story) imagine where I'd be today. 9 months x 5 lbs a month...that is 45 lbs up from 248. Taking me right back where I started at my heaviest. Thank god for the band!

So I guess I'm saying it's a learning process for all of us. We're going to take tools and strategies from everywhere to make this life change happen. I know we can do it! I know it I know it I know it. Sometimes we'll use WW, Lean Cuisine, JC...OA...and other strategies to enhance the success we'll get from the band which is honestly a tool to help keep us motivated and to help lapses not become relapses.

:)

I believe in you!

(((((((((((((((((((Hugs Everyone))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Hang in there! I can relate. Let's just say I am a serial dieter.

smile.gif

Okie dokie. Fasten your safety belts for bruital honesty.

A little history on me first.

133 - 9/88 | Lowest weight since high school - size 7

165 - 4/91 | (After first baby) First Call to Jenny Craig (Husband wouldn't let me keep apt...BASTARD...lol) *I am divorced from him.

169 - 5/91 | First weigh in at Weight Watchers (I lost 7 lbs the first week but then dropped off the program after a week or two)

192 - 6/92 | Weight after my second child

217 - 6/93 | First weigh in a Jenny Craig

167 - 10/93 | Lowest weight on Jenny Craig (and lowest recorded weight since having children) *I then dropped Jenny Craig...I just lost my motivation...thought I could do it on my own...blah blah blah)

214 - Early 1995 | Joined weight watchers (1st restart I think)

175 - Summer 1995 | Dropped weight watchers...(blah blah blah, can do it on my own...you get the drill)

195 - Feb 1996 | Baby #3 on the way

215 - 11/96 | Weight after baby

240 - 1997 | Fen Fen Start (is that spelled correctly?)

219 - 1997 | Fen Fen Stop (taken off market)

230's - 2000 | Divorced, sometimes less, sometimes more...multiple ww starts, JC starts, medical ww starts, weight loss drug starts but always within 10 or 15 lbs of my 230's.

230's - 2001 | Went to work for JC

217 - 3/02 | Left JC Employment

225 - 4/02 | Joined ww (again)

200.2 - 8/02 | WW member but also had some JC one on one consults and ate some JC food

220's - 03 | WW member off and on, some JC appointments

220's - 2004 - 2006 | WW member off and on

280's - 01/09 | Most wonderful man in the world proposed.

294 - 3/07 | Highest weight ever! Joined WW and followed the program the way it was designed...(finally)

246 - 07/07 | Married my soul mate

212 - 02/08 | Lowest weight after WW restart

257 - 01/09 | Huh? Yea, I dropped WW, lost my motivation blah blah blah - First apt with a band doctor

237 - 03/09 | Almost died on operating table during surgery (yikes...)

248 - 5/09 | Changed doctors! Went to OCC.

224 - 6/09 | Lowest weight at home after surgery.

225 - 230 | Summer/Winter 09 (Two fills and WW restart)

234 - 3/10 | Weight on employers scale (yep...went back to work for JC)

222 - 3/10 | Lowest weight on home scale since surgery (huhah)

Okie dokie. Bruital honesty. Between the band, WW, and JC I'm down 72 lbs from my heaviest! Halfway to goal. Wheeeeeeeeeee. I think given my history, it's easy to see that my body seems to be comfortable in the 220's. That has been the number on the scale within a few lbs since I had my 3rd child. When I'm "on" a program, I'm in the low 200's, when I'm not "on" the program, I'm pushing the 250's.

With this in mind, I really have to give the band credit. I honestly think my body was getting ready to accept the 250's as the norm but because of the band I was able to erase a few years and bring my stable weight back into the 220's. Is it as much progress as I wanted when getting banded, but I know myself and if I can gain 11 lbs in 2 months between band operations (the first op, I didn't get the band - long story) imagine where I'd be today. 9 months x 5 lbs a month...that is 45 lbs up from 248. Taking me right back where I started at my heaviest. Thank god for the band!

So I guess I'm saying it's a learning process for all of us. We're going to take tools and strategies from everywhere to make this life change happen. I know we can do it! I know it I know it I know it. Sometimes we'll use WW, Lean Cuisine, JC...OA...and other strategies to enhance the success we'll get from the band which is honestly a tool to help keep us motivated and to help lapses not become relapses.

smile.gif

I believe in you!

This is an awesome post. I laughed, I cried, better than Cats. ( hahahahha)