Not losing that much weight on post op diet

Hello there,

So I had surgery on Monday, April 12th. I'm on the 11th day of the liquid diet. I am 5'8 and started at 214. My BMI is 31. I have only lost six pounds in these 11 days. The scale hasn't moved in about five days. I am eating cream soups which a higher in calories. Mostly because I am starving and they fill me up. Even though I am eating two bowls of soup a day that are higher in

calories I'm sure I'm not eating over 1500 calories a day. Dr Miranda told me to expect to lose 10-12 on the liquid diet. Did anyone else not lose all that much on the liquid diet?

Any thoughts people???? Honestly, just trying to make it through this liquid diet. It is not fun!!!

Thanks,

Heidi

Greetings,

My reccomendation....sign up for either a free or low fee website like CalorieKing, which is what I use..and track your food counts..Weigh and measure, you may surprise yourself and find your eating more then you think..also, start walking any amount..I am doing Leslie Sansone's indoor walking and Wii fit. I am on my second week of real food post surgery with a fill coming in the first week of may..I lost about 7 pounds but some of it comes back when you start eating..this phase for me at least, is about learning how and what to eat and to figure numbers accurately..good or bad at least you learn. I was at around 1200 calories and some days a bit more if I am hungrier. But I found without measure/weighing I was def. eatting more than I thought.

I didn't loose that much on the post op phase of the diet. You have forever to lose this weight. It will come off when you get some fills. Be patient, I know its hard...You went through the surgery and darn it you want to lose some weight...It will happen as long as you follow the plan...I didn't follow the plan at first and I didn't lose much...now that I am following the plan, it is coming off a bit faster...

good Luck

Kim :wub:

Hello there,

So I had surgery on Monday, April 12th. I'm on the 11th day of the liquid diet. I am 5'8 and started at 214. My BMI is 31. I have only lost six pounds in these 11 days. The scale hasn't moved in about five days. I am eating cream soups which a higher in calories. Mostly because I am starving and they fill me up. Even though I am eating two bowls of soup a day that are higher in

calories I'm sure I'm not eating over 1500 calories a day. Dr Miranda told me to expect to lose 10-12 on the liquid diet. Did anyone else not lose all that much on the liquid diet?

Any thoughts people???? Honestly, just trying to make it through this liquid diet. It is not fun!!!

Thanks,

Heidi

I got banded on April 5. You sure are right -- the post-op diet is pretty tough, gets harder as the end is near. I started at 304, I am down to 290 so I've lost 14 lbs in 19 days. Of that, I lost 12 lbs on the broth phase and 2 lbs on the creamy soup phase. I found you really have to watch the sodium intake -- the salt will have you retaining fluids which will slow down the weight loss. Also, drink lots and lots of water. But six pounds given where you started seems pretty good to me.

I lost a total of 8 pounds during the liquids phase and I was doing weight watchers, consuming a total of about 800 - 900 calories a day on average. My starting BMI was 33. I am a slow looser and I have to learn to be okay with that.

MJ is right, you need to keep track of how many calories you are consuming in a day. If you do not want to do the WW thing, another WONDERFUL site for tracking is The Daily Plate. It is FREE to sign up/use and it stores your data. The database of foods is actually 200 times better then WW database and although I am a WW member I still use the daily plate to cross reference my data I put into WW. What is also great about the site is that it is set up to automatically track your daily allowance of fat, sodium, sugar, protein, & carbs along with calories and charts that out for you. WW techs could sooooo learn a thing or two when it comes to this site.

Everyone is different, but just to give you some comparison we started at about the same weight and i'm about 6 inches shorter than you. I gained back 1/2 of what I lost on the pre op diet to my first fill and my doctor was very pleased with that. You don't have a ton to loose, so it is gonna come off slower. After my 2nd fill is when it really started coming off, but that is also when I was really exercising more too. Not sure how much exercise you are incorporating. I also agree until you are really at your sweet spot I recommend measuring and calorie counting. Even after that I do it as well but that is to make sure i'm eating enough calories. That was my issue for a while and it was causing me to not loose.

Like others said it is a process so give it time. Good luck!

I've realized this is probably going to be a year long process. I am type A and want everything to happen quickly! I know I am not going to be skinny for summer 2010, but watch out

in 2011..... If I could lose 65 pounds over a year I would be totally happy with that. Do you guys think it is possible?

You can definetly do it. Follow the quidelines Dr Ortiz gave you and exercise every day. I was banded Sept 29th and started my pre-op diet in August. I am down 125 pounds in 8 months and I still have not had a fill.

If I could do this then anyone could. Stay focused on the goal. A healthy thin you :)

Debbie

Hello there,

Thanks,

Heidi

Hi,

I'm feeling like I should have lost more wt. as well. I had my band on April 9th 2010 and 11 pounds by the 15 day. THe last 3 days I am putting wt. back on and feel like I want to eat all day long. I have another 3 weeks until my first fill and am worried this is not going to work for me. sorta depressed with the 5 pound wt. gain.

Thanks for listening

9Aprilband