Restriction?

Ok, so I have just found out that OCC sends you home with an empty band, so my question is, do you feel any restriction at all? Is it individual based? What were others' experience?

Ok, so I have just found out that OCC sends you home with an empty band, so my question is, do you feel any restriction at all? Is it individual based? What were others' experience?

YES, right after you are banded, you go home and it's empty. during your liquid phase it's hard to tell since you're on liquids and you don't really have to worry too much about the hunger. after the liquid phase it's pretty much up to you to practice good chewing and drinking 45mins after you eat.. but if you're lucky you might feel some restriction. I personally didn't feel any until my first fill... i felt it for about a week and then it went away. now i'm at my 5th and I finally feel the restriction. but to honestly, everyone is different. I believe one of the bansters here lost all her weigh or almost all her weight with NO FILLS.

I was banded on 8/3/10, have never had a fill, have restriction and have lost 56 lbs so far. I am over 1/2 way to the end of my losing phase and am thinking will probably never need a fill. As Widdlee stated we are all different. There is another bandster that went the whole way without fills and lost over 100 lbs.

hello yes im just like canuk ive lost 59lbs at 10.5 weeks no fills as of yet, probably wont have one for a while im loving every minute of this band. Everybody is different, i have met 2 nice girls i had surgery with and theyre stories our different then mine they both have had fills, they feel no restriction, but i on the other hand have felt no hunger at all since my surgery, and i have restriction i can not eat certain foods but it is all good in the name of weightloss. dr ortiz will tell you to come back in 6 to 8 weeks to have your first fill.

I am 3.5 weeks post op and feel no restriction, although my appetite has decreased. Not sure if the 6.5 weeks of controling my diet (most of the time) has helped or if it is the presence of my band. What ever it is, I'm going with it! I am down 18 lbs since starting the pre-op diet. At 18.5 I will have lost a third of my weight.

Someone told me about 10% of patients feel restriction before a fill.

I felt a bit of restriction after I went home. But I still not sure if it was physical, and not psychological!

'They say', when you first get it done, you may/will feel a bit of swelling, which will feel like restriction.

But by the time my 3 months waiting period was up, I was eager to get that restriction feeling back.

I was wondering what "restriction" feels like. Everyone talks about it but I honestly don't know if I feel it or not? lol I am losing weight and I don't eat as much, but I really don't know if I feel anything I could call restriction. Can anyone provide a description? Thanks!

I have surgery tomorrow (Oct 14) and super excited...

I was also wondering about the restriction right after surgery. I've seen some people post that they felt a restriction after surgery and thus never needed a fill. Did these patients have a high starting BMI? Higher BMI means the band would offer more restriction from the start, right?

I have a lower BMI (35) and was just wondering if anyone out there who started with a low BMI felt restriction right after surgery? I hate having to wait 6-8 weeks for a fill to start seeing results.

I was wondering what "restriction" feels like. Everyone talks about it but I honestly don't know if I feel it or not? lol I am losing weight and I don't eat as much, but I really don't know if I feel anything I could call restriction. Can anyone provide a description? Thanks!

One word that comes to mind is 'tightness' is your chest. And that 'full feeling' that many of us forget what it feels like!

I felt no restriction after surgery and NONE after my 1st fill. I am getting my 2nd fill Friday. I am sooo frustrated. But good to see the comments here. I had just about lost hope then I saw the one entry where she did not feel the restriction til her 5th fill. There is hope that I will feel it sometime. Maybe that will be me sooner than later. I will not give up. I can eat anything, bread etc.

I felt no restriction after surgery and NONE after my 1st fill. I am getting my 2nd fill Friday. I am sooo frustrated. But good to see the comments here. I had just about lost hope then I saw the one entry where she did not feel the restriction til her 5th fill. There is hope that I will feel it sometime. Maybe that will be me sooner than later. I will not give up. I can eat anything, bread etc.

I didn't feel anything until about my 3rd fill ... I thought my band was broken!! ;)

So hold tight, and just wait until your first fill. Are you getting it done via flouro?

I have surgery tomorrow (Oct 14) and super excited...

I was also wondering about the restriction right after surgery. I've seen some people post that they felt a restriction after surgery and thus never needed a fill. Did these patients have a high starting BMI? Higher BMI means the band would offer more restriction from the start, right?

I have a lower BMI (35) and was just wondering if anyone out there who started with a low BMI felt restriction right after surgery? I hate having to wait 6-8 weeks for a fill to start seeing results.

If I remember correctly my BMI was about 35/36 and I was banded on 8/3/10 and have restriction without any fills thus far.

• 2 weeks later...

If I remember correctly my BMI was about 35/36 and I was banded on 8/3/10 and have restriction without any fills thus far.

I think the OCC considered me a "lower" BMI. I am 5'6 and was 185 pounds. I was banded exactly one year ago, and have lost 15 pounds with two fills. It is only now, after my third fill, that I am really noticing a difference with restriction - a year later!! Everyone is different. I have 9.3ccs in an 11cc band, and have lost 5 pounds just this past week. Don't get discouraged - at some point you will find that perfect restriction.

Good to know, thanks to all for the info. I had my 2nd fill last week and feel no restriction. Am at 7.2cc in 11cc band. Am not going to get discouraged. Looking forward to next few fills. Even kicked it in gear and lost 5lbs this week. Yeah.

I can relate. I felt restriction in the office after the first fill but when I went home I didn't feel restriction. I have no aversions to any food, however, now that I have had my 2nd fill I do have restriction. Drinking coffee in the morning is enough for me. I have a small breakfast and i am good til late in the afternoon. Truly blessed now.

Paul