Plication?

So I was banded on friday and feel great so far. It was interesting though because I was the only person out of the 6 bands scheduled for the day to actually get the band. All of the others switched over to a new surgery that the OCC is doing called Plication. It seems like a good thing but I had only researched the band and did not know enough about the other option to feel comfortable with switching. I did notice that the sugery seemed to take a lot more out of the patients than mine did and they had to stay in TJ a day longer than I did and do daily checks with the dr to make sure everything was healing. It seems to be a great new thing but is not approved here in the states yet and is new enough that Dr Ortiz has only done 100+. I was just wanting to let those of you going for the band know about this new option so that you can research now and not be asked to make a decision on the day of your surgery for something you know nothing about.

Hi Des congrats on surviving surgery day! Now you get to sit back relax and enjoy the broth and/or popsicles!

I was banded 4/2/10 and nothing was mentioned to me abt an alternative treatment, which is fine, bc I wouldnt have switched at the last minute anyway. What do you know about the procedure? I've heard it mentioned here on the forum, but dont know what it is.

First of all, Congratz on getting banded. I got banded in Dec 2009. I'm sure the band is going to work well for you, you just have to put in the work. Which is not all that bad when you start seeing results.

I haven't really heard much about it. I read a few post and I think it's kinda like a bypass but they don't cut, they pretty much fold? and It's reversible.Well...I'm not sure. I'm a bandster... and I'm happy with my decision I made and I wouldn't change it for the world. But I do think it's nice that people have more options at the OCC... I'm confident that what ever they do there, they do beautifully. They're good at what they do.

Hey there and congratulations!!! I had my surgery done last Thursday 10/21. I, too, was scheduled for LapBand and I switched the day of surgery to Plication as you indicated many others did on your day of surgery. Everyone scheduled on my day switched to plication, too. THe #1 thing I wanted from my surgery (besides weight loss, of course) was for it to be reversible. Plication gave me that. Additionally, I do not have to go to any more doctors...no additional $$s for fills, no trying to find the right cc level (which I was nervous about), no bandster hell, no chance of band slippage or port problems.

Actually, the plication procedure has started in Louisiana and a couple of other states. It was featured here on the local news channel just day before yesterday. I did pause when I was told about it and think it is SUCH A GREAT IDEA that you have shared your post with others pre-trip so that they can do the proper research. Also, if anyone from the OCC is reading this, I was thinking this week that they should so shoot a mass email out to all scheduled surgeries for the next month or so to inform people of this other procedure. It would have been great to have been fully educated prior to the date. But SO happy I chose Plication....and on Day 6, I'm feeling great! and yes, the first 2 days post-surgery are more difficult than the band.

During my last fill a week ago, I asked Dr. So about it. He said they fold up the stomach, leaving only a small portion of the stomach, like a bypass, but that it is reversible. They can take out stitches to enlarge the pouch, if necessary. I asked Dr. So his opinion, and he said he preferred the band. Not only do they have more experience with the band, they know the long term effects of the band. He said placation does work, of course, but he said he would recommend it to those not successful with the band. He could have been just telling me that cause I already have the band…lol…but I thought I would share what I learned. Does anybody know the price of placation compared to the band?

So I was banded on friday and feel great so far. It was interesting though because I was the only person out of the 6 bands scheduled for the day to actually get the band. All of the others switched over to a new surgery that the OCC is doing called Plication. It seems like a good thing but I had only researched the band and did not know enough about the other option to feel comfortable with switching. I did notice that the sugery seemed to take a lot more out of the patients than mine did and they had to stay in TJ a day longer than I did and do daily checks with the dr to make sure everything was healing. It seems to be a great new thing but is not approved here in the states yet and is new enough that Dr Ortiz has only done 100+. I was just wanting to let those of you going for the band know about this new option so that you can research now and not be asked to make a decision on the day of your surgery for something you know nothing about.

Does anybody know the price of placation compared to the band?

You must be new to the board ;)

We don't discuss pricing on here - you'll need to contact the OCC directly.

But don't worry. We're all given the same rate(s) - I've looked into it ;)

It looks like a good option and that is why I am hoping that any pre op people can look into it now before they get there. I love the idea of the OCC sending out an FYI email to fill people in so that they can change flight plans, thoughts and research before getting there.

Hello: I was one of persons that went to occ for the band and switch to gastric plication on 10/21....yes the first two days are with may be more discomfort than the lap band but I am so happy I did the change 9 days later and I am feeling grate the results are awesome and even though I am only an 1hr and 20 min from tj I am happy that I don't have to go back for fills....I highly recommend the gastric Plication specially for those that would need to find a filling place at the us...

Anytime, I try to help where I can. I'm sure that not site is completely comprehensive, but that's what I found with just a little searching. Mileage may vary, and be sure to do your own research as well, don't take my word for it. (unless of course I say so haha)

I went down on Oct 28 with the intention of getting banded. After meeting with the doctors I seriously considered the plication. I was fortunate enough to have my laptop with me so I could research it that evening. The next morning I decided to go with the gastric plication.

There wasn't much information available so I read about patients who had the gastric sleeve to find out what to expect. My decision came down to this:

1. You get the great results of gastric sleeve without actually cutting your stomach (plication is much less intrusive)

2. I didn't have to return for fills - traveling from Canada this was a bonus

3. I was always uncomfortable with the thought of a foreign object in my body - especially one you can feel on the surface

4. If I understand correctly, with the band it's much harder to swallow foods but with plication it limits the amount of food you can have in your stomach. This suited me better.

5. Like the band it's totally reversible.

It sounds like several people are removing their band and replacing it with plication. The one downside to plication (I didn't confirm this with a doctor) is I think you could gradually overeat and stretch your stomach back.

As far as recovery, I'm on day three and feeling fine. I had surgery on Friday and just slept a lot afterwards. Saturday I felt great, I think I was still high on the drugs. But Sunday morning I felt like I was hit by a truck. My eyes were puffy, I felt a bit of pain and discomfort, I had a headache and my vision was slightly blurry. The long flight home wasn't fun.

It's now Monday morning and I'm feeling much better.

I'll try to keep everyone posted on my progress because I know there's not much info on plication. I know I appreciated as much info as I could get before my surgery.

I went down on Oct 28 with the intention of getting banded. After meeting with the doctors I seriously considered the plication. I was fortunate enough to have my laptop with me so I could research it that evening. The next morning I decided to go with the gastric plication.

There wasn't much information available so I read about patients who had the gastric sleeve to find out what to expect. My decision came down to this:

1. You get the great results of gastric sleeve without actually cutting your stomach (plication is much less intrusive)

2. I didn't have to return for fills - traveling from Canada this was a bonus

3. I was always uncomfortable with the thought of a foreign object in my body - especially one you can feel on the surface

4. If I understand correctly, with the band it's much harder to swallow foods but with plication it limits the amount of food you can have in your stomach. This suited me better.

5. Like the band it's totally reversible.

It sounds like several people are removing their band and replacing it with plication. The one downside to plication (I didn't confirm this with a doctor) is I think you could gradually overeat and stretch your stomach back.

As far as recovery, I'm on day three and feeling fine. I had surgery on Friday and just slept a lot afterwards. Saturday I felt great, I think I was still high on the drugs. But Sunday morning I felt like I was hit by a truck. My eyes were puffy, I felt a bit of pain and discomfort, I had a headache and my vision was slightly blurry. The long flight home wasn't fun.

It's now Monday morning and I'm feeling much better.

I'll try to keep everyone posted on my progress because I know there's not much info on plication. I know I appreciated as much info as I could get before my surgery.

Great commentary CG

One of our bandster sisters is considering switching to plication. Personally myself? I am sick of fills, but I have had some great success to this point with the band. I know nothing about plication, but was wondering if you can stretch your tummy out just like a gastric bypass.

someone I work with had a GB 8 years ago...he got real thin and now he is right back up to 400 lbs. he completely stretched out his stomach again. very sad.

so do you have to do the 21 days of liquids as well? what kinds of portion sizes are you allowed?

oodles and congrats!

Great commentary CG

One of our bandster sisters is considering switching to plication. Personally myself? I am sick of fills, but I have had some great success to this point with the band. I know nothing about plication, but was wondering if you can stretch your tummy out just like a gastric bypass.

someone I work with had a GB 8 years ago...he got real thin and now he is right back up to 400 lbs. he completely stretched out his stomach again. very sad.

so do you have to do the 21 days of liquids as well? what kinds of portion sizes are you allowed?

oodles and congrats!

The diet is very similar to the banding - 21 days of liquids. I'm on day six and have had some yogurt and a bit of blended banana in my protein shake. Your stomach will let you know what portion size works. Like the band you do not drink and eat solids at the same time (after the liquid stage).

I'm only guessing that you could stretch your stomach back but this should be confirmed by a doctor. I think with any procedure there are ways to cheat - we need to realize these are only tools in assisting weight loss. There's no magic solution or fix.

On my first day back to a regular schedule I found myself pacing around in my kitchen every few hours. I didn't eat but realized food was a distraction for me. I now know I need to be more aware of my 'food triggers'.

I do recommend plicaton over banding. I always felt that the banding surgery was only going to get me 50% of the way. Adjustments and trips to TJ was going to be the other half. After deciding to go with the plicaton, I left the clinic feeling I was completely ready to start my weight loss journey.

It's day six and I'm down 6 pounds. My BMI was only 34 so this is a good loss for me. The scars are healing nicely.

Hey there and congratulations!!! I had my surgery done last Thursday 10/21. I, too, was scheduled for LapBand and I switched the day of surgery to Plication as you indicated many others did on your day of surgery. Everyone scheduled on my day switched to plication, too. THe #1 thing I wanted from my surgery (besides weight loss, of course) was for it to be reversible. Plication gave me that. Additionally, I do not have to go to any more doctors...no additional $$s for fills, no trying to find the right cc level (which I was nervous about), no bandster hell, no chance of band slippage or port problems.

Actually, the plication procedure has started in Louisiana and a couple of other states. It was featured here on the local news channel just day before yesterday. I did pause when I was told about it and think it is SUCH A GREAT IDEA that you have shared your post with others pre-trip so that they can do the proper research. Also, if anyone from the OCC is reading this, I was thinking this week that they should so shoot a mass email out to all scheduled surgeries for the next month or so to inform people of this other procedure. It would have been great to have been fully educated prior to the date. But SO happy I chose Plication....and on Day 6, I'm feeling great! and yes, the first 2 days post-surgery are more difficult than the band.

I agree completely. The care I received at OCC was wonderful and I couldn't have asked for better doctors and nurses.

My only criticism is, I wish they consulted patients before making the journey down to TJ as to which procedure will work for them. I'm sure most patients like myself spent endless hours doing research, watching videos, reading blogs and forums to make an informed decision. This isn't something to take lightly. Changing your choice of procedure once in TJ can be overwhelming mixed with anxiety.

I suggest OCC consult with patients before they make the trip. Suggest the right procedure for each patient. It is kinda bizarre that I chose my procedure from a 'pull down menu'.

If you're like me, you want to know everything (good and bad) and be mentally prepared for the procedure and life afterwards.