This is the topic for those who are scheduling their surgery during the month of July. Posting in this topic gives you the chance to meet other patients that are going to be in TJ during this month. So lets hear from the soon to be Gastric Plication patients.

I am from Louisiana and am scheduled to for the plication on 7/4/11. And I am SCARED. Not going to let this stop me, but would love to have a "buddy" to go through this with. Is there anyone scheduled for this day also? How about someone near me from the south? Please reach out to me beverly@iusco.com or beverlyg101@gmail.com

I am from Louisiana and am scheduled to for the plication on 7/4/11. And I am SCARED. Not going to let this stop me, but would love to have a "buddy" to go through this with. Is there anyone scheduled for this day also? How about someone near me from the south? Please reach out to me beverly@iusco.com or beverlyg101@gmail.com

I do not live close nor am I an upcoming surgery. I had the band put in on 8/3/10 but I just wanted to say, stay strong and use all of us on this forum for the support you need. You will be so happy with your decision once it happens. The emotions you are going through and will continue to go through until surgery are COMPLETELY normal. We all felt them.

Roxanne

I'm mostly concerned about the nausea. I cannot stand to be nauseous.

1. How long does the nausea last?

2. How bad is the pain immediately after surgery

3. How long does the pain last

1. I never had ANY nausea. I came prepared and bought all kinds of anti-nausea medicine, plus what the hospital gave me, but I never felt the least bit of nausea.

2. The worst part of the pain for me was gas pain immediately after surgery.

3. I experienced what felt like bad abdominal cramps for almost two weeks. My doc said that they would last up to two weeks. They quit right on the two week anniversary of my surgery. He told me that they were the stomach fighting against the sutures. They weren't constant, and at worst were maybe a 3-4 on a 1 to 10 scale.

Good luck!

What a relief. Do you think losing weight before the surgery is the reason for no nausea? How much did you lose before you had this done?

I have to confess, I didn't lose a single pound. We went on vacation to a resort for a week before the surgery. I was totally open with my physician about my plans, and he said to avoid all alcohol and fried foods (those really enlarge the liver), so I did. The last day I did really soft foods and liquid only. I didn't do a total liquid diet though and everything was fine. I'm not saying I'm a good example, but I wanted to be honest about what I did.

I'm wonder if loosing all that weight before surgery is what makes one so nauseous? Thank you for your answers. It really helps talking with someone who's "been there, done that". If I may ask, when did you have surgery, what kind and how much have you lost so far?

I had my surgery, plication, right at the end of April. I lost 10 lbs really quickly, then stalled about two weeks out (for a total of about a week). I am just starting to lose again, and I am up to a total of about 12 lbs lost. Feel free to PM me if you want to, I would be happy to answer any other questions you have.

Hey there,

I am scheduled for July 1 - so I will have mine done before you get there - and be leaving on the 4th - so we should meet up on July 3rd at the hotel and talk.

I have issues with nausea as well and trust me they are great with that. You just let them know and they give you this great medication and you will be fine.

I'll ping you on your personal email and happy to buddy up with ya. My journey is a bit different as my surgery will be a revision from Band to Plication...but prep and recovery will be very similar.

Good luck...

Donna in Seattle (originally from South Carolina)

• 2 weeks later...

I am sorry for your issues with Plication. Did you get your surgery done with Dr. Ortiez - you didn't mention that. I know there were a few cases where the surgery was not done properly and it did cause issues. I have never heard of a patient of Dr. Ortiez having a problem - so I am very interested in that.

I did alot of research and overall this surgery has a better success rate than the band and a lower complication rate. That doesn't mean it won't or can't have issues. What did your baratric surgeon say when you started having problems? I seems like you would have lost alot of weight if you could not keep anything down??

Please let us know - hope you are doing better.

DonnaC

Please remember that as with any surgery there are risks and following the doctors recommendations are crucial. Problems after surgery are very rare, but if you experience symptoms you need to contact our after care doctors at 1-866-376-7849 ext. 5. If a patient fails or refuses to follow the doctors recommendations, and you experience a problem, that isn't necessarily a surgery failure.

Thanks Lori -totally agree. I am banded right now and was very successful with my band. For some reason the band is failing - I am not. I worked with the docs to try and save/fix the band but their recommendation is revision - and I agree. I am doing it now before my weight becomes a problem again.

I have never been happier than after I got the band. I was not longer controlled by food, my cravings were gone and I was able to actually make smart choices with food.

I have seen so many people over the years saying that the band, bypass or whatever surgery they choose didn't work. Sometimes it was becasue the tool itself was not working, sometimes it was because the person wasn't working the tool.

There are going to potentially be issues with anything you do to your body - some more major than others. I fully trust the docs/folks at OCC to give me the best possible service and advice...

thank you!

Donna

Hi All,

Im from South Africa and im thinking of doing the gastric plication but im so nervous . This surgery is not done at all in my country.

It such a long way to travell. Im wondering if its going to be worth it. How will i manage after surgery been so far and no doctor

here doing this kind of surgery. If i had to go i would love to meet up with someone so i wouldnt be all alone. Perhaps chat online

and get to know each other and be supportive to each other before and during the time of surgery.

Kind regards

Virginia

Edited by salady53

I am scheduled for the 14th of July and am really SCARED and anxious. I have so many fears of the unknown and thats whats eating me up now. I know I must do this for myself, I'm just such a baby about it. I was going to have a traveling companion to come with me, but her own health issues may exclude that now. I don't know if I can do it on my own. I have a very bad back and walking the distances in the airports will be nearly impossible for me. We planned on using the airport wheelchair, but have no idea what I'll do now. I may have to postpone my surgery :( very sad.

Feather, why can't you STILL use the airport wheelchair? They will take you through the security point and then on to the gate. On the return there will be someone RIGHT there to take you from the plane to the baggage area for the return trip. As long as you let them know you will be fine. I had to fly just after foot surgery and it was a BREEZE they were SO NICE and accommodating.

I FULLY understand your fears about going alone, but now that I have done it I can honestly say it is QUITE doable. The only thing I would recommend is that the day before your surgery you get a few items that you will need after so you don't have to worry later about them.

We had surgery on Friday and on Monday my daughter and I walked to the little corner store and bought some juice and drinkable yogurt it was not a bad walk at all. Please don't let the wheelchair concerns keep you from starting this new journey.

Feather,

Have you thought about changing the date of your surgery? I'm having surgery on 7/5/11. If you like we can do this together. I'm from Baton Rouge, LA. (About an hour west of New Orleans). Where are you coming from?

I'm scheduled for surgery on 7/05/11. I'm having a very tough time losing weight before surgery. I lose weight pretty easy, but I have a very busy lifestyle and I have no patience with hunger. I'm female, age 53, am 5'3" and weight 226 lbs. Does anyone know what will happen if I can't lose the 10 lbs I'm supposed to lose before surgery?

Beverly if you are having trouble losing then please email Dr. Miranda right away. She is wonderful, and will give you tips and support for what you need in your case. My daughter was having a HORRIBLE time before surgery and we were worried that she would not be allowed to have it either. She gave us some great ideas and the weight started to fall off. We both lost almost 20lbs each before surgery.