Band Revision to Plication

Hi folks - I owe you an update. So I went down to OCC on June 30th as planned. Got my tests and everything was a go for surgery. I was the last one to have surgery on July 1st (revisions are last) and was so ready to go. Was laughting with Dr. So when he did the IV as I got a bit misty eyed - and Dr. O walked in and said - like he hasn't seen it before - normal.

I told the Docs to do what they needed to do - that they were the experts. We talked through my thoughts and theirs and off I went to surgery. When I woke up - I felt pretty good - and the doc came in and told me that they were not able to do additional surgery due to the condition of my stomach - lots of scar tissue on the band area, a hernia and scar tissue at the port - and they felt that it would be best to wait for about 4 months before we do the other procedure.

So - no band, no plication - and i am a bit freaked that I will gain weight before I get my other procedure - but I am going to try to stick to the modified pre=surgery diet and up my excerise when I can start back.

Based on what the docs said - it looks like I will go with a sleeve when i go back - due to my stomach and target weights...but they will make that decision when I am down there.

Overall A++ to the OCC folks - they are really great to you - and especially to the OR nurse who rubbed my shoulder and arm, and wiped my tears in the OR as I was being put under...what a lovely touching experience...you don't get that in the US

DonnaC

Hi folks - I owe you an update. So I went down to OCC on June 30th as planned. Got my tests and everything was a go for surgery. I was the last one to have surgery on July 1st (revisions are last) and was so ready to go. Was laughting with Dr. So when he did the IV as I got a bit misty eyed - and Dr. O walked in and said - like he hasn't seen it before - normal.

I told the Docs to do what they needed to do - that they were the experts. We talked through my thoughts and theirs and off I went to surgery. When I woke up - I felt pretty good - and the doc came in and told me that they were not able to do additional surgery due to the condition of my stomach - lots of scar tissue on the band area, a hernia and scar tissue at the port - and they felt that it would be best to wait for about 4 months before we do the other procedure.

So - no band, no plication - and i am a bit freaked that I will gain weight before I get my other procedure - but I am going to try to stick to the modified pre=surgery diet and up my excerise when I can start back.

Based on what the docs said - it looks like I will go with a sleeve when i go back - due to my stomach and target weights...but they will make that decision when I am down there.

Overall A++ to the OCC folks - they are really great to you - and especially to the OR nurse who rubbed my shoulder and arm, and wiped my tears in the OR as I was being put under...what a lovely touching experience...you don't get that in the US

DonnaC

Hey Donna,

So sorry to hear you didn't get the plication, but glad that the surgeons we're more concerned about your health than the $$. You have been doing this for a long time and you know everything you need to know to keep the weight from coming back. You can soooo do this. Keep us up on how you're doing. I'm doing good with the band. Still having some pain where the port is when I move wrong, but assume that will go away with time. Been losing about a pound a day, but on a liquid diet so duh....

Take care

Stephanie