How much cash did you take

Hi,

How much cash did you take with you to Mexico. Did you leave it in USD or did you convert to pesos?

Thanks,

Laura

Hi Laura,

Basically everyone takes American money. Credit cards do the exchange thing for you. Have fun! and Good Luck!

Teri

Hi,

How much cash did you take with you to Mexico. Did you leave it in USD or did you convert to pesos?

Thanks,

Laura

BE CAREFULL WITH CC...I BROUGHT ONLY $40 CASH THINKING I WOULD JUST GO TO AN ATM WHEN I GOT THERE...IT WAS A CONFUSING MESS!!! IT WAS IN SPANISH FIRST OF ALL (DUH) BUT WHEN I TRIED TO PULL OUT $50 I GOT 50 PESOS ($5.00 US) lol SO THEREFORE IT COST ME $7.00 US DOLLARS TO WITHDRAW $5.00!!! LOL I WAS A LITTLE AGGREVATED BUT IT REALLY WAS KIND OF COMICAL... PLUS IF YOU HAVE SMALL BILLS, IT IS EASIER TO BARGAIN WITH THE STORES AND STREET VENDORS... HAVE A SAFE TRIP...GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!!!

I would convert to pesos even though everyone takes USD. More for your money with pesos. At least thats what my girlfriend says and she's from Mexico.

I would agree if you are travelling to Cancun or Alcapulco. However, in Tijuana, the dollar is king. I took about $200 in cash, plus my credit card. I only used my CC at the hotel. I probably only spent $120 or so of cash (including shopping).

The reason a peso can 'go further' is because most people use a quick conversion of 10 pesos to the dollar. The true current conversion rate is 11 to one. However, unless you plan to spend several hundreds of dollars, you lose out because of the coins you get as change. A few unused 10 peso coins can hurt you, as US banks only exchange paper currency, not coins.

My vote for use in border cities is dollars.

I would agree if you are travelling to Cancun or Alcapulco. However, in Tijuana, the dollar is king. I took about $200 in cash, plus my credit card. I only used my CC at the hotel. I probably only spent $120 or so of cash (including shopping).

The reason a peso can 'go further' is because most people use a quick conversion of 10 pesos to the dollar. The true current conversion rate is 11 to one. However, unless you plan to spend several hundreds of dollars, you lose out because of the coins you get as change. A few unused 10 peso coins can hurt you, as US banks only exchange paper currency, not coins.

Greg,

What did you use your CC for at the hotel if I may ask, and also when you shopped, what did you buy and how much did you have to pay for duties when going back over the border to the US?

I just want to get as much as possible figured out so I know what to expect and do while there. ;)

Thanks,

Judy

You can exchange your unused pesos at any cambio de casa.

I DIDN'T TAKE THAT MUCH CASH WITH ME, ABOUT $200.00. I MADE SURE I LEFT A LARGE TIP FOR THE OCC DRIVER FOR ALL HIS WORK DRAGGING ME AROUND, TAKING CARE OF MY LUGGAGE ETC, :) AND FOR THE HOTEL WORKERS. I BOUGHT A BOTTLE OF BOOZE AT COSTCO AND I USED MY CC IN THE BAR AT THE HOTEL :-? LOL

I just returned from being banded by Dr. O on the 9th. I took $200, and had plenty left over. I did the Filet Mignon for dinner with the works, including dessert, in the hotel resturant, cost approx $23. I had a facial at Cosmed, for $50. Made a trip to Calmex for some C-light, boullion, more water for $8. Plus another $40 in tips. If you tip housekeeping, they will bring you more water.

Don't forget to pack some Gas-X.

Hope this helps, Bubbles

Greg,

What did you use your CC for at the hotel if I may ask, and also when you shopped, what did you buy and how much did you have to pay for duties when going back over the border to the US?

I just want to get as much as possible figured out so I know what to expect and do while there. ;)

Thanks,

Judy

I had a friend that is a nurse accompany me, and I paid her expenses. I also found it easier to charge meals (even post-op broth) to my room, and use a CC at checkout.

There were no duties to pay upon return to the US. Texas charges a per bottle alcohol tax (70 cents) when crossing the border, but California does not. I bought a poncho, various meds (available without RX in Mexico), a bottle of brandy, and other small items. For meds I purchased antibiotics (I hate going to my doctor for sinus infections and the like) and some non-narcotic pain meds (toradol). I went shopping the day before and the day after surgery (walking does a body good).

And yes Stacy, you can exchange pesos before returning to the US, but after surgery, or while rushing to catch a flight, I sure would not have wanted to seek out that option. Also, there is a commission to exchange money, both when purchasing pesos, and when re-converting to dollars.

I do not disagree that pesos can offer a slight advantage for those that want to negotiate heavily, but most things bandsters need when in TJ are priced in dollars. The one time I saved was for a taxi ride. He asked for $4.00, but he agreed to 3 dollar bills and one 10 peso coin (a leftover from a prior trip to Cancun). So, I saved 9 or 10 cents.

I had a friend that is a nurse accompany me, and I paid her expenses. I also found it easier to charge meals (even post-op broth) to my room, and use a CC at checkout.

There were no duties to pay upon return to the US. Texas charges a per bottle alcohol tax (70 cents) when crossing the border, but California does not. I bought a poncho, various meds (available without RX in Mexico), a bottle of brandy, and other small items. For meds I purchased antibiotics (I hate going to my doctor for sinus infections and the like) and some non-narcotic pain meds (toradol). I went shopping the day before and the day after surgery (walking does a body good).

And yes Stacy, you can exchange pesos before returning to the US, but after surgery, or while rushing to catch a flight, I sure would not have wanted to seek out that option. Also, there is a commission to exchange money, both when purchasing pesos, and when re-converting to dollars.

I do not disagree that pesos can offer a slight advantage for those that want to negotiate heavily, but most things bandsters need when in TJ are priced in dollars. The one time I saved was for a taxi ride. He asked for $4.00, but he agreed to 3 dollar bills and one 10 peso coin (a leftover from a prior trip to Cancun). So, I saved 9 or 10 cents.

You're right it's not that much. Plus for me it's different since I go there more often. I live 10 minutes from OCC. Stacy

You're right it's not that much. Plus for me it's different since I go there more often. I live 10 minutes from OCC. Stacy

I do envy you Southern Cali people. Being so close to the clinic is a huge advantage. And if I lived near the border, I would keep a small stash of pesos on hand. Getting a 10% discount on many purchases is a sale hard to refuse.