August Surgery Patients

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know you're out there.... c'mon August Surgery patients... let's hear from you!

I am scheduled to have my surgery on August 3. I am flying out of Memphis TN on the 2nd and plan on getting the blood work and stuff done on the 2nd. Looks like I may have to go by myself and that makes me a little anxious. Anybody else flying solo? i'm starting my pre-op diet on Sunday and have to stop smoking by Friday. I'm nervous and excited.

I am scheduled to have my surgery on August 3. I am flying out of Memphis TN on the 2nd and plan on getting the blood work and stuff done on the 2nd. Looks like I may have to go by myself and that makes me a little anxious. Anybody else flying solo? i'm starting my pre-op diet on Sunday and have to stop smoking by Friday. I'm nervous and excited.

Quitting smoking will be the hardest part of any of this. I went solo in July. Not that I needed anybody but the hotel room is for two and it's gorgeous. I'm sure I could have found someone who wanted a cheap 3 day vacation in TJ. You'll feel good enough after surgery to get a little shopping in or site seeing. Best wishes. Don't be nervous. The OCC has this down to a science and you will be well cared for.

My friend Joanna and I are both traveling from Oregon to get our bands put on August 6. Good luck to all of my fellow August patients! Are you all as excited as I am? I hope so!

Nancy

PS: My BF is really worried, despite all my attempts to reassure him. Anyone else have a nervous spouse/partner?

I am flying out on Aug 9 from St Louis and surgery on the 10th. Let me know if anyone is going to be there at the same time

My friend Joanna and I are both traveling from Oregon to get our bands put on August 6. Good luck to all of my fellow August patients! Are you all as excited as I am? I hope so!

Nancy

PS: My BF is really worried, despite all my attempts to reassure him. Anyone else have a nervous spouse/partner?

yes.. i understand! my bf is very worried also, even though i he has seen all the same pics and read the same info i have.

he is getting better over time but i think its because i am soooo excited and looking forward to it so much. he does not say too much because he knows how this procedure will make me feel better and make me healthier- he has been there thru my tears and frustration regarding my year long battle with the insurance company to pay for this, (after the 3rd denial from them, i decided to pay for it myself-the only way i could get this done was in mexico. ) but i can tell it bothers him alot.

mostly because its in mexico.. i show him things from this message board often and he is seeing more and more that

we are all 'regular' people and he can see how many have had it done and they are all okay, even better than ok.

good luck to you --its gonna be great :P my surg date is 8/17/07

I went from July 18th, 07 to now with a surgery date set for Monday August 27th, 07!!! I can't wait!

Hi Mikey,

I have been reading your posts and I would have been devastated about being rescheduled like that. But, like you said they are looking out for your well being. I was supposed to lose 36 lbs, starting at 375, 6'1". I only lost 23 at OCC on the morning of surgery and Dr. Miranda was very happy. It does seem that you have been told to lose alot more than most of us. I didn't meet the goal weight told to me, and all went great. I totally understand the work schedule problems too.

So, good luck with your delayed surgery and keep us all posted. ;)

Take care,

Judy

I am sched. Aug. 8th. I live 2 hours from TJ & I am still nervous. I have 2 children, a 5 yr. old & a 1 mo. old. I was heavy before my last child was born so I have alot to loose. As far as your smoking I know it is sooo hard just think of the long term & you'll smile. I've been smoke free for 11 mos. Good luck !!

Hi Mikey,

I have been reading your posts and I would have been devastated about being rescheduled like that. But, like you said they are looking out for your well being. I was supposed to lose 36 lbs, starting at 375, 6'1". I only lost 23 at OCC on the morning of surgery and Dr. Miranda was very happy. It does seem that you have been told to lose alot more than most of us. I didn't meet the goal weight told to me, and all went great. I totally understand the work schedule problems too.

So, good luck with your delayed surgery and keep us all posted. ;)

Take care,

Judy

Hi Judy!

Trust me I was pissed off for about 5 minutes when I was called to lose more BUT then got over it quickly and moved forward. I'm grateful OCC is so concerned about every little issue, which is cool. You also had a mini journey as far as pre op diets are concerned. Congrats on the pre op weight loss and also congrats on losing your 45lbs. by your 45th bday! Very cool. I hope you celebrated. =D>

Hi Judy!

Trust me I was pissed off for about 5 minutes when I was called to lose more BUT then got over it quickly and moved forward. I'm grateful OCC is so concerned about every little issue, which is cool. You also had a mini journey as far as pre op diets are concerned. Congrats on the pre op weight loss and also congrats on losing your 45lbs. by your 45th bday! Very cool. I hope you celebrated. =D>

Thanks Mikey for the congrats! I did celebrate, but in a healthy way kind of. ;) Until I got my recent fill, I could just about eat anything and everything, but still in smaller amounts compared to pre-surgery.

CONGRATS to you too on your pre-op weight loss so far!!! That is awesome! I can't believe you still have to lose more. :( Oh well, you have something exciting and life changing to look forward too!

Take care.

Peace,

Judy

I am scheduled for 08/31 and will probably have to go alone. My hubby is staying home w/ our baby. I saw someone is trying to quit smoking, I quit last year when I discovered I was pregnant. This August will be a year. Man it was HARD and still is sometimes. Just think about how good you'll feel to breath again!

Guest flatrish
I know you're out there.... c'mon August Surgery patients... let's hear from you!

I'm scheduled for August 13th and am getting very excited. I have friends coming with me and they are a great support team. If anyone is there on the 13th, I'm sure you will hear them! :rolleyes:

I can relate to the baby thing. I was about 240 when I got pregnant with my first baby (20 mos. old) and 250 when I got pregnant with my second (10 mos. old). I don't want to see another New Year start without having made some progress. I sure will miss them when I come for surgery on the 17th.

Aug 3 for me !!!!! I am so excited, my husband of 16 yrs is also very nervous and he is Mexican, but what did seam to help him a little bit was watching Dr O's interview On the Wellness Hour. I will be traveling w/a friend who will also be hav'g the band done the same day so hubby is feeling a little left out, he has been informed " No boys allowed"

Aug 3 for me !!!!! I am so excited, my husband of 16 yrs is also very nervous and he is Mexican, but what did seam to help him a little bit was watching Dr O's interview On the Wellness Hour. I will be traveling w/a friend who will also be hav'g the band done the same day so hubby is feeling a little left out, he has been informed " No boys allowed"

Hello Olive Oil!! Finally someone who is going the same time I am...Where are you flying out of?? I am nervous and excited at the same time. I can't wait...seems like time is dragging and flying all at the same time, you know. 9 days and counting...

=D>

I can relate to the baby thing. I was about 240 when I got pregnant with my first baby (20 mos. old) and 250 when I got pregnant with my second (10 mos. old). I don't want to see another New Year start without having made some progress. I sure will miss them when I come for surgery on the 17th.

hi christieL.. congratulations on your surgery date! my surgery is on the 17th too :) its gonna be great ><'

Hi, I am having my bloodwork and surgery done on the same day, August 2nd. I'm flying from Seattle the evening of the 1st. Today starts my pre op diet, and I weigh 220 lbs. So much for giving myself a little wiggle room, I told them 2 weeks ago I weighed 220, when I was actually about 215! I'm happy... I will do this thing the right way all the way. Hope to hear from some other August 2nd surgery people!

yes.. i understand! my bf is very worried also, even though i he has seen all the same pics and read the same info i have.

he is getting better over time but i think its because i am soooo excited and looking forward to it so much. he does not say too much because he knows how this procedure will make me feel better and make me healthier- he has been there thru my tears and frustration regarding my year long battle with the insurance company to pay for this, (after the 3rd denial from them, i decided to pay for it myself-the only way i could get this done was in mexico. ) but i can tell it bothers him alot.

mostly because its in mexico.. i show him things from this message board often and he is seeing more and more that

we are all 'regular' people and he can see how many have had it done and they are all okay, even better than ok.

good luck to you --its gonna be great :P my surg date is 8/17/07

It seems like everyone is going to Mexico I am just at my very first stage which, is the consultation and the pre-surgery exams. Is there a reason everyone is chosing Mexico? I live in New Jersey and they have a Beriatric Center @ Mountainside Hospital in Montclair, NJ. This is where I intend to go. Are there more benefits in chosing Mexico?

It seems like everyone is going to Mexico I am just at my very first stage which, is the consultation and the pre-surgery exams. Is there a reason everyone is chosing Mexico? I live in New Jersey and they have a Beriatric Center @ Mountainside Hospital in Montclair, NJ. This is where I intend to go. Are there more benefits in chosing Mexico?

Blac, The reason people go to Mexico is due to the expertise of Dr. Ortiz and the Obesity Control Center team. They have Lapband experience far beyond most if not all the surgeons you will find in the states. It is worth the trip and you in all probability will pay less.

Hi everyone,

Im flying solo from Maryland on 8/7 and getting banded on 8/8. Everyone is saying how difficult the post op diet is, but I struggling with the pre op diet. Any suggestions and/or additional food choices?!?! Im pretty much eating slimfasts, lean cuisines, sf jello and salads. :((

AUGUST 14th!!!!!!!!!! ( :unsure: I'm a little nervous!!)

Don't know yet if going solo, or if DH will come...

Good luck to all of you!! ><'