Lower BMI

:unsure:

Hi...I'm getting banded next Friday and have a BMI of barely 30...I'm wondering if there's anyone else out there that's had success with a lower starting BMI?

I'm also wondering if everyone needs a fill...is that standard? Does anyone ever not need a fill?

Can you ever have a soda again? Or go to dinner with friends and eat too (I'm not sharing my surgery status with friends)?

Everything I see says they're only eating 3 bites of food after banding...is that forever or just following surgery?

I want to eat less and lose weight, but I'm afraid of looking like I have an eating disorder since I'm not telling anyone about my banding. Will I ever eat normal again? (And by normal - I mean healthy food and smaller portions, just not "3 bite" portions).

Please...tell me the straight truth!

Hi...I'm getting banded next Friday and have a BMI of barely 30...I'm wondering if there's anyone else out there that's had success with a lower starting BMI?

I'm also wondering if everyone needs a fill...is that standard?  Does anyone ever not need a fill?

Can you ever have a soda again?  Or go to dinner with friends and eat too (I'm not sharing my surgery status with friends)?

Everything I see says they're only eating 3 bites of food after banding...is that forever or just following surgery? 

I want to eat less and lose weight, but I'm afraid of looking like I have an eating disorder since I'm not telling anyone about my banding.  Will I ever eat normal again?  (And by normal - I mean healthy food and smaller portions, just not "3 bite" portions).

All good questions.  I am the same BMI and am wondering the same things.  I am hoping to do this the beginning of April.  So, some of our experienced friends here can help us both out!

1936[/snapback]

Hello - I was banded on 11.18 and my bmi at surgery was 32.7 which was close to the cut off for Dr. Ortiz (although I don't know what his cutoff is). Ihad lost 5lbs prior to surgery and was 179 that day - I am 5'2 and other then yo yo dieting and weight loss gain my whole life, no other major health issues. Since surgery I have read of a few things regarding lower bmi patients that you might want to check with Inamed and your doctor about. Apparently INAMED doesn't 'guarantee' the band for people under bmi of 35 and some people think more slips are likely although again no hard facts. My plan is to ask the doctors on my next call but for me what's done is done. So - ask the people who have the facts so you know what you are getting into.

I told no one except my sig other and no one has guessed by my eating habits. It is one month since my first fill and I think I am finally learning to eat. My appetite is still pretty healthy but less and I can eat almost anything if i chew it good enough. I do eat carbs but eat healtthy ones after my protein - hey, I like variety!

Before surgery I went to a UTAH bandster dinner and was happy to see eveeryone eating a wide range of foods and not so slowly that it appeared strange. I think you can get over that hurdle pretty easily.

Weight tends to come off slower on lower bmi people so be prepared for that. I won't lie - to me this has been a big change but I am 'settling in' and getting the hang of it. It was hard for me in the beginning - after first fill - I had lots of stuck food and it hurts and is scary so you have to learn to chew and eat slow.

You will need a fill possibly 6-8 weeks after surgery because the swelling will be done and you wont have much restriction. After that first fill, you will definitely notice a difference! Good luck!!

I'm also wondering if everyone needs a fill...is that standard?  Does anyone ever not need a fill?

Can you ever have a soda again?  Or go to dinner with friends and eat too (I'm not sharing my surgery status with friends)?

I want to eat less and lose weight, but I'm afraid of looking like I have an eating disorder since I'm not telling anyone about my banding.  Will I ever eat normal again?  (And by normal - I mean healthy food and smaller portions, just not "3 bite" portions).

1936[/snapback]

Hi Stormgirl,

I was banded by Dr. Ortiz on 8/26/05.

I am 5'4" and on surgery day weighed around 183.5. My BMI was almost 31, if I recall correctly.

The most I can tell you about the band is that everybody is different.

I have read on some of the boards that there are a few who never need or get a fill. That seems to be pretty uncommon though.

You're not supposed to have carbonated drinks. If you're really thinking you'll miss them, go look at all the flavored waters out there now that are sweetened with Splenda. I thought I'd really miss soda, but I don't even think about it any more.

I eat really small bites and chew them up well. I don't experiment with any new foods while out at a restaurant with other people, just in case it won't go down. I have gotten the golf ball feeling and just excused myself to the Ladies room until the feeling passed. Nobody has noticed anything about the way I eat. I've come to the conclusion that people are MUCH more interested in what THEY are eating than in how you are eating. And, if somebody comments, just tell them you're trying to take dainty bites and chew well in an effort to eat more slowly so that you'll feel full before you're too full. It's not lying. Also, if they notice you're not eating bread, pasta and rice, just tell them your knocking off the starchy, processed carbs because they're so bad for you.

If you find yourself in a pickle, like you need to PB or throw up, or something, in the middle of a social occassion, just excuse yourself and tell people you don't feel well. There are lots of ways to navigate the social stuff. And, if they're not close enough friends to be able to tell about the band, then you shouldn't worry too much about what they think about your eating habits. So what if they think you've gotten a little strange with food? When the weight comes off, they'll be begging you for your secret!

As for my success, here's my journey so far:

When filling out the paper work a month or two before surgery, I weighed in at 180. By surgery day, I was 183.5. I was supposed to have lost weight in the mean time. Oops. Just couldn't do it. I spent the summer having this long goodbye to all the foods I loved. The funny thing is, I can still eat those foods, just in smaller quantities.

After I got banded, I was starving by week three. I barely made it on full liquids through week four. By the time I was allowed to eat solids I had absolutely zero restriction. I went to Dr. Martinez for my first fill six or seven weeks after surgery. He gave me 2.2cc. Got no restriction from that.

I couldn't keep flying to TJ every two weeks (I live outside of Boston), so I found a fantastic bariatric practice who will do fills for Mexico patients. She is in Manhattan every other Friday. So, I've gone to her a few times. Still no restriction. I got so frtustrated that by early December (and having gained to 191 pounds) I went back on the Atkins diet to dim my appetite. I got a fill in early December that finally had a little effect. I went back on 2/3/06, weighed 175, for another fill, still could eat more than I should. Went back again this past friday 2/17/06 and got some more. FINALLY, I have restriction!!! I am at 170.4 pounds and hoping this will last me for many many pounds. If not, I'll go back and get some more.

So, I'm at around somewhere between 3.5cc and 3.7cc (sometimes up to .2cc can just sort of disappear). I've been assured that the band can be over filled up to 5.0cc without any problem.

I suspect I needed so many fills because I started out at a weight that many have as a goal. I got pretty frustrated there for a while, but figured this is a life long process that I bought into, so it wasn't going to happen overnight. It's only been a few days, but I finally feel what everybody else posts about so often: the golf ball feeling, the PB (yes, it finally happened to me), the feeling full for hours with no desire to nibble, etc.

I hope I haven't discouraged you with my slow progress. I'm content with it, and I just wanted to let you know that, if starting out with a lower BMI means more fill, slower losing and more frustration, try to stick with it. It really does start to work eventually. If it does happen to you, you might think about going back to TJ for fills. The Mex docs tend to be a little more aggressive with the amount of fill they will give at one time. I have three little kids, so I just couldn't. Plus, it's really important to have local after care lined up before you go. Have you done that yet? What part of the country do you live in?

Sorry this turned into War and Peace. Hope it helped.

Good luck with your surgery. Feel free to email me if you have any questions. I don't check this board too often so email is more efficient.

LizzyD

I'm also wondering if everyone needs a fill...is that standard? Yes, it is standard for most lower bmi patients to have a fill. Sometimes higher bmi patients do not need a fill and feel restriction at first with just the band.

Does anyone ever not need a fill? See above.

Can you ever have a soda again? No. At first it sucks buckets but you will not even miss it after about a month. No beer, no champagne, no carbonation period. Juices, water, tea, etc are great.

Or go to dinner with friends and eat too (I'm not sharing my surgery status with friends)? Yes you will, but it will be hard to hide this I will be honest. I wasn't going to tell anyone either but it IS very noticable and I found myself lying which I didn't like. So I just opened up and told them. For the most part, it was well received. And one of my friends even took off to TJ to go see Dr. Ortiz and is now my band buddy!

Everything I see says they're only eating 3 bites of food after banding...is that forever or just following surgery? Immediately after surgery, you won't be "eating" anything. Just liquids for a week, then creamies for two weeks, then you can start some solids slowly. At first you will need to be really careful but once you get the hang of it, it won't be so bad. Plus, I would say a majority of people don't feel restriction until after the first fill. I didn't, so weeks 4-6 were a food fest I was fighting. After the fill, life changed. It isn't 3-4 BITES so much as it is 3-5 OUNCES of food, sometimes more. It depends on what it is that you are eating. And it is trial and error on what YOUR band will allow and what doesn't agree.

I want to eat less and lose weight, but I'm afraid of looking like I have an eating disorder since I'm not telling anyone about my banding. Will I ever eat normal again? (And by normal - I mean healthy food and smaller portions, just not "3 bite" portions). I am almost one year banded, I look pretty normal when eating. I think it just looks like I have good self control (if they only knew). If someone doesn't know, they don't know by my eating. DURING the first year though, especially the first 6 months, it is hard to hide. Almost impossible if you are socially eating.

Remember that being a lower BMI means you have less to lose and generally comes off a lot slower. Don't be discouraged by that. It WILL come off eventually.

My suggestion? Don't be afraid to share the information with your friends. If they are true friends, they will be supportive. If they aren't, then you can do without them anyways. When you try to hide it, it just felt sneaky and dishonest to me. I didn't like that, so I just let it all out. Most were supportive, some were jealous, some were inquisitive, some were plain ignorant about it.

I was a 30 BMI in April 05. I am 5'6" and weight 192 the day of surgery. I did not and have not told anyone about my surgery, my husband is the only one. I have chldren and they do not even know. I do not lie about explaining how I lost weight. My response - I JUST CHANGED MY EATING HABITS - SMALLER PORTIONS AND NO POP. I cannot tell you how happy I am that I have had this surgery! Do it again ? YOU BET! Here are my stats: April 21, 2005 I was at 192 pounds. and a size 12. The first 3 weeks were hard for me - but realistically, no different than any diet I tried to stay on previously. I went for a fill at 7 weeks. in TJ. It was 1.7 cc It seemed to do little. I was nervous that something wasn't working as I actually was gaining a little weight. I called a prominent lap band Dr. in the state I live and after alot of persuasion (Dr. Ortiz trained him) he agreed to see me as It was expensive to fly to TJ .. It took 2 fills and one reduction to get it right for me. I guess I am fickle. I started losing weight right away. I never brought attention to myself while eating as other people could care less. I ate normal, just smaller portions. When I would slow in losing the weight I would go in for a fill. .2cc's is all I needed and sometimes it was too much. I am at 2.5 ccs. I am there every 4 weeks. for a "status report". I am now 147 pounds a weight loss of 44 lbs and to tell you the truth, I feel like I took the easy way out. I can still eat good food, lose weight and feel great about myself. I have about 15 pounds to go (maybe) I look pretty good now but would like to see what I would look like again at my ideal weight. The bottom line is this for a low BMI. 44 lbs is alot of weight! Although I had the surgery in April, and was a size 12. I didnt start really losing until Sept. 05, and by January of 06 I had lost an average of 2-3 lbs a week . Just the way your supposed to. I was a size 8 in Jan. I am now closer to a 6. Watch out for the flavored coffee - it does slow your weight loss, even if you have 2 a week. I have one a week. Wearing a pair of size 6 low rise jeans, feels much better than that English Toffee taste! and wearing a bikini now is worth every bit of frustration that I had to go through. So do it again? You bet! Good luck - it works, you just have to work with the band. Hope this helps.

1936[/snapback]

WOW...what a great response. Thank you all for your stories and help. I went in and was banded 2/24 and am sore, gassy, sick of broth, but overall very happy and looking forward to a life of eating less and being a lot happier with my body!

Thank you so much...I wish I could say more, but I don't know what to say...your stories inspire me and are very helpful!

Thanks!!! :)

WOW...what a great response.  Thank you all for your stories and help.  I went in and was banded 2/24 and am sore, gassy, sick of broth, but overall very happy and looking forward to a life of eating less and being a lot happier with my body!

Thank you so much...I wish I could say more, but I don't know what to say...your stories inspire me and are very helpful!

1956[/snapback]

Hi storm... congrats on being banded... I was banded by Dr. Ortiz in September, but didnt start losing weight til after my first fill... whatever you do, remember, give this process a few months to normalize, because a lot of things change in the first few months... your stomach has to get used to the band, swelling will go down, gassiness will subside and you will learn how to eat for your body, for your band... just think of this as an experiment... I remember before my first fill I called Dr. Martinez worried that everyone but me would lose weight, he reassured me that if it works, it works for everyone (unless all your meals are ice cream!)... by the time I got my fill 7 weeks after my banding, I started losing weight, being unable to eat a lot and feeling very free that I didn't obsess about food any more... 5 months after surgery and Im down 43 lbs (I had a pre-surgery BMI of 38)... I also am rarely hungry...I dont desire food in the same way, although I enjoy it...the band has really helped me relax where food is concerned... the mental conversation about what to eat/not to eat and what eating a particular food will do to my "diet" is totally gone... I eat what I want when I want... the trick is, I dont want all that much and I will not let myself get overfull, because it just feels crappy...so just breathe deeply, and rest assured that if you've gotten this far, you've done the right thing and the weight will drop off on it's own... all the best to you!

Kyle

Hi Stormgirl,

I am 5'4" and on surgery day weighed around 183.5.  My BMI was almost 31, if I recall correctly.

I have read on some of the boards that there are a few who never need or get a fill.  That seems to be pretty uncommon though.

You're not supposed to have carbonated drinks.  If you're really thinking you'll miss them, go look at all the flavored waters out there now that are sweetened with Splenda.  I thought I'd really miss soda, but I don't even think about it any more.

I eat really small bites and chew them up well.  I don't experiment with any new foods while out at a restaurant with other people, just in case it won't go down.  I have gotten the golf ball feeling and just excused myself to the Ladies room until the feeling passed.  Nobody has noticed anything about the way I eat.  I've come to the conclusion that people are MUCH more interested in what THEY are eating than in how you are eating.  And, if somebody comments, just tell them you're trying to take dainty bites and chew well in an effort to eat more slowly so that you'll feel full before you're too full.  It's not lying.  Also, if they notice you're not eating bread, pasta and rice, just tell them your knocking off the starchy, processed carbs because they're so bad for you.

If you find yourself in a pickle, like you need to PB or throw up, or something, in the middle of a social occassion, just excuse yourself and tell people you don't feel well.  There are lots of ways to navigate the social stuff.  And, if they're not close enough friends to be able to tell about the band, then you shouldn't worry too much about what they think about your eating habits.  So what if they think you've gotten a little strange with food?  When the weight comes off, they'll be begging you for your secret!

When filling out the paper work a month or two before surgery, I weighed in at 180.  By surgery day, I was 183.5.  I was supposed to have lost weight in the mean time.  Oops.  Just couldn't do it.  I spent the summer having this long goodbye to all the foods I loved.  The funny thing is, I can still eat those foods, just in smaller quantities. 

After I got banded, I was starving by week three.  I barely made it on full liquids through week four.  By the time I was allowed to eat solids I had absolutely zero restriction.  I went to Dr. Martinez for my first fill six or seven weeks after surgery.  He gave me 2.2cc.  Got no restriction from that.

I couldn't keep flying to TJ every two weeks (I live outside of Boston), so I found a fantastic bariatric practice who will do fills for Mexico patients.  She is in Manhattan every other Friday.  So, I've gone to her a few times.  Still no restriction.  I got so frtustrated that by early December (and having gained to 191 pounds) I went back on the Atkins diet to dim my appetite.  I got a fill in early December that finally had a little effect.  I went back on 2/3/06, weighed 175, for another fill, still could eat more than I should.  Went back again this past friday 2/17/06 and got some more.  FINALLY, I have restriction!!!  I am at 170.4 pounds and hoping this will last me for many many pounds.  If not, I'll go back and get some more.

So, I'm at around somewhere between 3.5cc and 3.7cc (sometimes up to .2cc can just sort of disappear).  I've been assured that the band can be over filled up to 5.0cc without any problem.

I suspect I needed so many fills because I started out at a weight that many have as a goal.  I got pretty frustrated there for a while, but figured this is a life long process that I bought into, so it wasn't going to happen overnight.  It's only been a few days, but I finally feel what everybody else posts about so often:  the golf ball feeling, the PB (yes, it finally happened to me), the feeling full for hours with no desire to nibble, etc.

I hope I haven't discouraged you with my slow progress.  I'm content with it, and I just wanted to let you know that, if starting out with a lower BMI means more fill, slower losing and more frustration, try to stick with it.  It really does start to work eventually.  If it does happen to you, you might think about going back to TJ for fills.  The Mex docs tend to be a little more aggressive with the amount of fill they will give at one time.  I have three little kids, so I just couldn't.  Plus, it's really important to have local after care lined up before you go.  Have you done that yet?  What part of the country do you live in?

Sorry this turned into War and Peace.  Hope it helped.

Good luck with your surgery.  Feel free to email me if you have any questions.  I don't check this board too often so email is more efficient.

LizzyD

1945[/snapback]

Lizzy,

I am about 35 BMI, but not banded yet. Can you tell me HOW DID you know that "finally you got restriction? what happened that you knew? please explain.

thanks

:rolleyes: Hi everyone! I had my band done on 8/19/05 with Dr. Ortiz. I think I had a BMI of 32, I'm 5'8 and on the day of surgery I was 214lbs. Well as of last week I was at 181lbs. so I've lost 33lbs. total so far....but I am one of the people that hasn't had a fill yet. I eat about half of what I used to usually, not always though. Some days I can hardly eat at all, it just depends. It was hard going to restaurants at first, at least with people who didn't know I had the band. But I would just say I wasn't very hungry or had a large lunch or something. I still do sometimes although most people now know I had the surgery, its just easier that way. I find I'm eating a lot healthier now, a lot of fruits and veggies, after my protein of course.

Exercise is a big, and I mean BIG, help. I find I'm losing about one pound a week now, but I've gotten a lot smaller due to lean muscle mass. People are really noticing now that I'm losing weight. I am so happy that I got my band, I would do it again in a heart beat! Good Luck! - Vanessa

Hi Stormgirl,

I am 5'4" and on surgery day weighed around 183.5.  My BMI was almost 31, if I recall correctly.

I have read on some of the boards that there are a few who never need or get a fill.  That seems to be pretty uncommon though.

You're not supposed to have carbonated drinks.  If you're really thinking you'll miss them, go look at all the flavored waters out there now that are sweetened with Splenda.  I thought I'd really miss soda, but I don't even think about it any more.

I eat really small bites and chew them up well.  I don't experiment with any new foods while out at a restaurant with other people, just in case it won't go down.  I have gotten the golf ball feeling and just excused myself to the Ladies room until the feeling passed.  Nobody has noticed anything about the way I eat.  I've come to the conclusion that people are MUCH more interested in what THEY are eating than in how you are eating.  And, if somebody comments, just tell them you're trying to take dainty bites and chew well in an effort to eat more slowly so that you'll feel full before you're too full.  It's not lying.  Also, if they notice you're not eating bread, pasta and rice, just tell them your knocking off the starchy, processed carbs because they're so bad for you.

If you find yourself in a pickle, like you need to PB or throw up, or something, in the middle of a social occassion, just excuse yourself and tell people you don't feel well.  There are lots of ways to navigate the social stuff.  And, if they're not close enough friends to be able to tell about the band, then you shouldn't worry too much about what they think about your eating habits.  So what if they think you've gotten a little strange with food?  When the weight comes off, they'll be begging you for your secret!

When filling out the paper work a month or two before surgery, I weighed in at 180.  By surgery day, I was 183.5.  I was supposed to have lost weight in the mean time.  Oops.  Just couldn't do it.  I spent the summer having this long goodbye to all the foods I loved.  The funny thing is, I can still eat those foods, just in smaller quantities. 

After I got banded, I was starving by week three.  I barely made it on full liquids through week four.  By the time I was allowed to eat solids I had absolutely zero restriction.  I went to Dr. Martinez for my first fill six or seven weeks after surgery.  He gave me 2.2cc.  Got no restriction from that.

I couldn't keep flying to TJ every two weeks (I live outside of Boston), so I found a fantastic bariatric practice who will do fills for Mexico patients.  She is in Manhattan every other Friday.  So, I've gone to her a few times.  Still no restriction.  I got so frtustrated that by early December (and having gained to 191 pounds) I went back on the Atkins diet to dim my appetite.  I got a fill in early December that finally had a little effect.  I went back on 2/3/06, weighed 175, for another fill, still could eat more than I should.  Went back again this past friday 2/17/06 and got some more.  FINALLY, I have restriction!!!  I am at 170.4 pounds and hoping this will last me for many many pounds.  If not, I'll go back and get some more.

So, I'm at around somewhere between 3.5cc and 3.7cc (sometimes up to .2cc can just sort of disappear).  I've been assured that the band can be over filled up to 5.0cc without any problem.

I suspect I needed so many fills because I started out at a weight that many have as a goal.  I got pretty frustrated there for a while, but figured this is a life long process that I bought into, so it wasn't going to happen overnight.  It's only been a few days, but I finally feel what everybody else posts about so often:  the golf ball feeling, the PB (yes, it finally happened to me), the feeling full for hours with no desire to nibble, etc.

I hope I haven't discouraged you with my slow progress.  I'm content with it, and I just wanted to let you know that, if starting out with a lower BMI means more fill, slower losing and more frustration, try to stick with it.  It really does start to work eventually.  If it does happen to you, you might think about going back to TJ for fills.  The Mex docs tend to be a little more aggressive with the amount of fill they will give at one time.  I have three little kids, so I just couldn't.  Plus, it's really important to have local after care lined up before you go.  Have you done that yet?  What part of the country do you live in?

Sorry this turned into War and Peace.  Hope it helped.

Good luck with your surgery.  Feel free to email me if you have any questions.  I don't check this board too often so email is more efficient.

LizzyD

1945[/snapback]

Hi, thanks for your story.

Question: if you were on liquids for the first 4 weeks ...how could you have not lost any weight during that time?

My story. I want the band badly. I'm going in for the first interview next Tuesday. My BMI is 37 which is low as well so I'm reading all I can about this process.

Thanks Bella!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Stormgirl,

I am 5'4" and on surgery day weighed around 183.5. My BMI was almost 31, if I recall correctly.

I have read on some of the boards that there are a few who never need or get a fill. That seems to be pretty uncommon though.

You're not supposed to have carbonated drinks. If you're really thinking you'll miss them, go look at all the flavored waters out there now that are sweetened with Splenda. I thought I'd really miss soda, but I don't even think about it any more.

I eat really small bites and chew them up well. I don't experiment with any new foods while out at a restaurant with other people, just in case it won't go down. I have gotten the golf ball feeling and just excused myself to the Ladies room until the feeling passed. Nobody has noticed anything about the way I eat. I've come to the conclusion that people are MUCH more interested in what THEY are eating than in how you are eating. And, if somebody comments, just tell them you're trying to take dainty bites and chew well in an effort to eat more slowly so that you'll feel full before you're too full. It's not lying. Also, if they notice you're not eating bread, pasta and rice, just tell them your knocking off the starchy, processed carbs because they're so bad for you.

If you find yourself in a pickle, like you need to PB or throw up, or something, in the middle of a social occassion, just excuse yourself and tell people you don't feel well. There are lots of ways to navigate the social stuff. And, if they're not close enough friends to be able to tell about the band, then you shouldn't worry too much about what they think about your eating habits. So what if they think you've gotten a little strange with food? When the weight comes off, they'll be begging you for your secret!

When filling out the paper work a month or two before surgery, I weighed in at 180. By surgery day, I was 183.5. I was supposed to have lost weight in the mean time. Oops. Just couldn't do it. I spent the summer having this long goodbye to all the foods I loved. The funny thing is, I can still eat those foods, just in smaller quantities.

After I got banded, I was starving by week three. I barely made it on full liquids through week four. By the time I was allowed to eat solids I had absolutely zero restriction. I went to Dr. Martinez for my first fill six or seven weeks after surgery. He gave me 2.2cc. Got no restriction from that.

I couldn't keep flying to TJ every two weeks (I live outside of Boston), so I found a fantastic bariatric practice who will do fills for Mexico patients. She is in Manhattan every other Friday. So, I've gone to her a few times. Still no restriction. I got so frtustrated that by early December (and having gained to 191 pounds) I went back on the Atkins diet to dim my appetite. I got a fill in early December that finally had a little effect. I went back on 2/3/06, weighed 175, for another fill, still could eat more than I should. Went back again this past friday 2/17/06 and got some more. FINALLY, I have restriction!!! I am at 170.4 pounds and hoping this will last me for many many pounds. If not, I'll go back and get some more.

So, I'm at around somewhere between 3.5cc and 3.7cc (sometimes up to .2cc can just sort of disappear). I've been assured that the band can be over filled up to 5.0cc without any problem.

I suspect I needed so many fills because I started out at a weight that many have as a goal. I got pretty frustrated there for a while, but figured this is a life long process that I bought into, so it wasn't going to happen overnight. It's only been a few days, but I finally feel what everybody else posts about so often: the golf ball feeling, the PB (yes, it finally happened to me), the feeling full for hours with no desire to nibble, etc.

I hope I haven't discouraged you with my slow progress. I'm content with it, and I just wanted to let you know that, if starting out with a lower BMI means more fill, slower losing and more frustration, try to stick with it. It really does start to work eventually. If it does happen to you, you might think about going back to TJ for fills. The Mex docs tend to be a little more aggressive with the amount of fill they will give at one time. I have three little kids, so I just couldn't. Plus, it's really important to have local after care lined up before you go. Have you done that yet? What part of the country do you live in?

Good luck with your surgery. Feel free to email me if you have any questions. I don't check this board too often so email is more efficient.

LizzyD

I was told by Dr. Ortiz that he fills more on the first fill than most Doctors do in 5. The bands he uses are pretty big, so the first fill should at least be 5-6cc. I will definitely have my first fill with Dr. Ortiz. It's free so it seems it would actually be cheaper to fly there and get a good fill than to get 5-6 fills from a local that cost anywhere from $100-$300.

WOW...what a great response. Thank you all for your stories and help. I went in and was banded 2/24 and am sore, gassy, sick of broth, but overall very happy and looking forward to a life of eating less and being a lot happier with my body!

Hey Stormgirl,

Congratulations to you! I'm getting banded on 4/6. Did Dr. Ortiz do your surgery? How is the hotel there?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Stormgirl,

LizzyD

• 8 months later...
Hi Stormgirl,

LizzyD

Dear Lizzy,

hi! I too live in the Boston area and I am considering getting banded--in fact, it seems my only option to get this weight off! Have you found a Boston doc who will work with you, keeping track of your band as well as doing your fills? Fills are one thing, but erosion, slippage, etc would require a local doc. Or, I guess, a flight back to Mexioc.

What do you think? And how has the weight loss progressed?