Pregnancy while Banded

I am 21 and just recently married AND banded! haha Ive been reading up/talking to my obgyn on pregnancy after the band- they ask you to wait at least 2 years before getting pregnant just to get rid of all the weight and to let your body settle. It is actually healthier and easier to get pregnant when you are at a normal weight for your height. FOLLOW the Dr.'s instructions on post op diet (not only liquids) but once you getting filled too, in order to reduce your chance of slipping.

I think what they do is remove your fill once you are pregnant so that you can eat enough nutrients to feed the baby- but ive not read of any problems while being pregnant on the band!

I have read in my book that they completely unfill you until the baby is born.

I’m not banded YET BUT I was wondering..If I decide (not for another 2 years) to have another baby, what should one do to prevent doing any damage to the band….especially if you get morning sickness?

I too plan to have another baby in the next 2-4 years and I had terrible morning sickness for about 2 months with my son, so when speaking to my OBGYN she said that from what she knew of the band (she has 2 nurses on staff who have them) that morning sickness is mostly like a PB episode, since there's no food in your stomach trying to come back up through the band there's less chance of damage/slippage since you're just retching (I think that's the work) up stomach acid juices. She says if it more severe she could put me on an anti nausea medication to ensure the band's safety.

Wow - do they really advise waiting 2 years before getting pregnant? I was hoping to have enough weight off by next summer to start trying. But I won't if it's not in good interest. I don't want to damage the band for sure. I did read on another forum that a woman got pregnant 3 months after receiving the band and she done fine....she only gained 4 lbs. her whole pregnancy and had a 7lb. healthy baby boy. But I am sure she was not trying to get pregnant.

I read on another forum about some people getting pregnany right after being banded...but it defeats the purpose! Everything I have read that is written by dr.'s has said to wait 2 years. I cant wait to lose the weight and enjoy my body before having a baby!

Hi Girlies

I had dinner with my local support group last week, one of the ladies is 5mths pregnant and still has her fill. She said her Dr told her at about 7mths they probably would unfill. I think it depends on how thw baby is sitting.

Nicolek

Hey, I have found different things on different websites about how long to wait after being banded to try to get pregnant and I found this.....

Can I get pregnant after surgery?

It is strongly recommended that women wait at least one year after the surgery before a pregnancy. Approximately one year post-operatively, your body will be fairly stable (from a weight and nutrition standpoint) and you should be able to carry a normally nourished fetus. During the first year you are losing weight rapidly and that environment represents special risks for a growing fetus. You should consult your surgeon as you plan for pregnancy.

This came from a website at Memorial Health - a huge & reputable hospital in Savannah, GA, they have their own bariatric center. I will post the link in case anyone else wants to check it out.

http://www.memorialhealth.com/bariatrics/faq.html#pregnant

Hey, I have found different things on different websites about how long to wait after being banded to try to get pregnant and I found this.....

Can I get pregnant after surgery?

It is strongly recommended that women wait at least one year after the surgery before a pregnancy. Approximately one year post-operatively, your body will be fairly stable (from a weight and nutrition standpoint) and you should be able to carry a normally nourished fetus. During the first year you are losing weight rapidly and that environment represents special risks for a growing fetus. You should consult your surgeon as you plan for pregnancy.

This came from a website at Memorial Health - a huge & reputable hospital in Savannah, GA, they have their own bariatric center. I will post the link in case anyone else wants to check it out.

http://www.memorialhealth.com/bariatrics/faq.html#pregnant

Thanks for the link, very interesting reading!

• 3 months later...

Thinking about pregnancy? Read this study. It helped calm my nerves:) We are going to start trying in the next month or so for kid number 2. I had to have a csection w/ the first because of my pelvis. I will have to have a csection w/ the next also. I do not plan to get unfilled, but will if necessary. I gained over 60# w/ my first and am finally down to the weight I was before I got pregnant the first time. I'm no longer anxious about the whole process:O The study was taken place in Australia. Highlights: Followed 22 women in the study who got prego after surgery. All had an unfill at the beginning and those who had excessive weight gain were given a fill at 16 weeks "...to limit excessive weight gain rather than assist w/ weight loss". It's a very interesting read for those interested.

Pegnancy Study

One of the main reasons that I deceided on the band was because I do want to have another baby. I have to small boys and my husband and I really want another one, but at the weight I was at it would be to much for my body. I also thought I would get the band after my last baby but I could take being fat anymore, I felt really unhealthy and I could bear the thought of getting pregnate. I did a lot of research about it and you should wait at least 1 1/2 to 2 years to try and it the obgyn thinks that you are not getting enough nutrition your last trimester then they would recommond an unfill. The baby only need the most nutriation at the end to grow. THat satisfied my and that is why I choose to get the band now instead of later.

I just wanted to weigh in on this topic as I had my daughter 4 months ago. I was banded in Sept '06 and didn't get fills for a while. I did get 2 fills, lost 30 lbs and then we decided to try to have a baby last summer. So I was banded about 10 months when we got pregnant. I actually spoke with my doctor and the OCC on their opinion and they both said even a few months after banding was ok as long as I was not trying to lose weight while trying to get pregnant.

Also, both my doc and the OCC said to get a complete unfill just to be safe. I am very glad I did, because as my pregnancy progressed I naturally got tighter, but not at any time was I too tight to eat enough. But, I definitely ate less and was fuller than when I was pregnant with my son 7 years ago. I gained 30 lbs exactly which my doc said to, even though I was overweight to begin with. I had a cesarean and had no problems at all.

I totally get that most people recommend waiting a year or more so that you can lose the weight then get pregnant. For me personally I decided to get pregnant before losing weight for 2 reasons, 1) the timing last year was better for us and 2) I felt that personally if I lost weight, then got pregnant and could eat for 9 months like crazy, I would not want to get a fill afterwards and sink back into my old ways.

Michelle as far as morning sickness I threw up almost daily for about 6 weeks and never felt that the band was in jeopardy, thank goodness.

Bigali I just wanted to mention that a growing fetus needs the proper nutrition and vitamins etc.. from the moment of conception, not just towards the end of the pregnancy. For some people having a small fill would probably be fine throughout. My band tightens with stress which is another reason I got a total unfill right away.

Thinking about pregnancy? Read this study. It helped calm my nerves:) We are going to start trying in the next month or so for kid number 2. I had to have a csection w/ the first because of my pelvis. I will have to have a csection w/ the next also. I do not plan to get unfilled, but will if necessary. I gained over 60# w/ my first and am finally down to the weight I was before I got pregnant the first time. I'm no longer anxious about the whole process:O The study was taken place in Australia. Highlights: Followed 22 women in the study who got prego after surgery. All had an unfill at the beginning and those who had excessive weight gain were given a fill at 16 weeks "...to limit excessive weight gain rather than assist w/ weight loss". It's a very interesting read for those interested.

Pegnancy Study

Thanks - great study. I love evidence based medicine and that is exactly what this study is! This really answers a lot of questions!

I too read that a woman who had fertility issues, like I do, got pregnant after she got her band. That kinda freaked me out. I am 40 and although I think about the fact that my time is running out. I am not sure I want another one. I went to my obgyn and told her that I wanted birth control and she said she can not put me on the pill because of my fatty liver. She can not give me really anything because of the issues I had. She just recommended condoms. I have no desire to use those. So we are playing russion rulet over here. I was sick for 8 months when I had my son. So sick they put me on meds to try to help me not be sick. I sometimes think that is why he has autisum. Although that can not be proven. I just can't imagine being sick another 8 months in my life ever again. It is not having the baby that scarres me, it is the being sick that would scare me. So I guess once I am banded, I better tell him to leave me alone. HA! just kidding. Not sure what we are going to do.

I asked Dr. Martinez about this while I was there in June and he said to wait about a year or until I have got to my goal weight... I talked to my OBGYN last week and recommended at least 4-6 months but I will wait atleast a year to be on the safe side.. I hope to be at goal by then.... Awww cant wait to see our little lapband babies on here!

My husband and I are going to wait until next year before we start trying again. I want to be at a "safe" weight and 2 miscarriages in 5 months is really too much for me to handle so I'm alright with waiting. I know they say to wait a year, but I was thinking while we were in Mexico next year would be a nice time to start trying ..... Thanks for the information & links ... and everyone else's personal input. It helps me alot!