SURGERY OR NOT?

HI TO ANYONE OUT THERE. I LIVE IN SOUTH CAROLINA. I AM A MOM OF TWO, ONE GIRL AND ONE BOY. I HAVE A WONDERFUL HUSBAND I LOVE VERY MUCH. HE IS VERY SUPPORTIVE OF ME AND HAS NEVER SAID ONE HARSH WORD ABOUT MY WEIGHT. I HAVE LOOKED INTO THIS PROCEDURE FOR OVER A YEAR NOW. I HAVE EVEN GONE TO LOCAL SEMINARS AT THE HOSPITAL. LAST YEAR I BROUGHT IT UP TO MY MOTHER AND HUSBAND AND THEY BOTH WENT NUTS. (ACTULLY MY WHOLE FAMILY WENT NUTS) THEY THOUGHT I WAS CRAZY FOR CONCIDERING SURGERY AND MEXICO. THIS YEAR I BROUGHT IT UP AGAIN. TO MY SURPRISE MY MOM WAS SUPPORTIVE AND MY HUSBAND. MY MOM HAS HEARD ALOT MORE ABOUT IT AND HAS BEEN LOOKING ON LINE FOR INFO. HERE'S MY PROBLEM.....I'M 35 WITH A GREAT LIFE. I HATE MY WEIGHT AND FEEL LIKE IT LIMITS ME ON A DAILY BASIS. I TRY NOT TO LET IT CONTROL ME. WE JUST WENT SKIING FOR 8 DAYS. I SKIED ALL 8 DAYS!!! AS MUCH AS ANYONE,BUT I COULD NOT GET THOSE STUPID BOOTS ON OR OFF. I HAD TO GET HELP FROM MY HUSBAND FOR THAT. IT PISSED ME OFF. I HATE FEELING LIKE THIS. THIS YEAR I WENT ON A DIET AGAIN...I LOST ABOUT 25 POUNDS. IT TOOK ME 6 MONTHS TO DO IT. IN DECEMBER I GOT SICK AND HAD TO GO ON STERIROIDS. I GAINED THAT BACK PLUS 5 MORE IN ABOUT 8 WEEKS. THAT HAS BEEN MY LAST 15 YEARS. LOSS 10 GAIN 15... LOSS 20 GAIN 25. I LOOK AT THIS SURGERY AS AN ANSWER TO PRAY. IT COULD MAKE ME HEALTIER, MORE ACTIVE, AND MORE ATTRACTIVE. MY CHILDREN ARE MY WORLD AND I THINK THIS COULD MAKE ME A BETTER MOM. BUT, WHAT IF ??????? AM I CRAZY TO WORRY ABOUT MY HUSBAND BEING A SINGLE PARENT BECAUSE I RAN OFF TO MEXICO TO GET SKINNY. I KNOW IN THE LONG RUN THE RISKS ARE LOW. MY MOM HAS A LIST OF MEDICAL CONDITIONS THAT ALL LINK BACK TO HER WEIGHT. I WANT TO BE THERE FOR MY KIDS, NOT ON THE SIDELINES. I DO NOT WANT HEART DISEASE, DIABETES, BLOT CLOTS, AND THE LISTS GOES ON.

DID ANY OF YOU STRUGGLE WITH THIS. HOW DID YOU HANDLE IT. ANWSERS NEEDED FROM A MOM ON A MISSON.

First of all take a deep breath! Your dilema sounds all to familiar. My husband freaked when I first mentioned it, but I too want to be around for my kids as well as for him. I have done the diets and lost and gained and got really down on myself. I hate looking in the mirror or trying on clothes only to have them not fit. But most importantly I want to be HEALTHY and that was what my final decision came down to. In the long run you need to make the decision for yourself regardless of how much you love everyone else around you. I know when you mention going to Mexico people freak, to put your mind at ease it was nothing different than going to a huge outdoor flea market...lol except for the driving BE CAREFUL!!! My friend went with me and Dr. Ortiz was so cool she got to go in the operating room and watch the whole thing. The facility and staff are first rate and very professional. Surgery is not something to take lightly but it sounds as if you have done your homework. We are all here for you and will continue to be regardless. I hope this helps.

Hi there! I think you are going to get A LOT of answers on this topic! You are right to have the feelings you are having with kids and a husband- and going for surgery, in mexico no less. Dr. Ortiz- is AMAZING to say the very least- The OCC was soooo clean, everyone was amazing ( i would recomend to read up on peoples surgery expierences) I never ONCE felt weird or uneasy while i was there. Obesity is the 2nd leading cause of preventable death..not surgery. You (and i, and a lot of others) are indangering our lives by being obese- and for many of us this is the last chance. The surgery litereally doesnt take any time at all and youll be up walking around within an hour. I am SO proud to have been banded by Dr.Ortiz- he is awesome. Another thing, this is your body and your life, dont NOT do the surgery bc other people think its silly, that will be the biggest regret you make. TRUST me-also- i think you should do this for your kids- you will be much healthier, happier, and you will finally be able to LIVE your life instead of being held back, or have someone put you ski boots on for you!

pay the deposit!!! Just be ready for biiiig changes and to challenge your mind more than it has ever been- fighting head hunger is ROUGH! Good luck, i hope that this helps you with your decision! To me it was an easy one! :lb21:

Although I am not a mom, I thought I would add my two cents. I have two nieces that I am very close to...We have diabetes, stroke, heart disease, HBP...and all kinds of other health risks in our family. I gave up going home to spend a week with my nieces to hopefully give them many years with me---I went to TJ and had the surgery. I don't know if that helps, but it is how I looked at it. Also, surgery does always have risks, but I recieved better care with Dr Ortiz and his staff than I have in most US hospitals.

The Lap Band sounds like exactly what you need to get your weight and health problems under control.. I used to diet the same way I would work my butt off, lose 20lbs then gain back 30... a few months later same story over and over for the past 5 years (since my son was born). Now that I have been banded if I have been losing weigh without much effort and if I ever feel like falling off the bandwagon the band will keep me in check! Everything that you read about OCC is totally true, Dr. O has had no fatalities in over 5,000 surgeries many of the most expensive doctors in the US were trained by him, he's the best so don't let your fear hold you back from achieving your goals and dreams!

:lb9:

Hi there!

When I was thinking about doing the surgery I started reading everything available to my eyes. Then I seen the Oprah episode and let my husband watch that. His concern was the same as yours. "What if I lose you on the table? I can't raise our 2 small daughters without you. I love you the way you are. I will help you in the gym. etc." Then we prayed and prayed about it. I continued to read and weigh my options. I could pay less money and get a personal trainer, I could buy a home gym and put it in the basement, pay for someone to make all my meals for a year or get lapband and work it. Then I feel like God kept leading us back to the lapaband option. After I made up my mind I jumped in with both feet and continued to pray about it. I am now 5 days banded and feeling really good. With the pre-op diet and now after the band I am down almost 18 lbs. I am praying everyday for healing and success with the band. Good luck with your decision. I am very happy with everybody at the OCC.

><' God Bless!

Brook

Sounds like you are telling my story! My family was shocked that I would consider this. I also contemplated the decision for over a year, and strugled with yo-yo dieting. I finally decided that I just had to go throught with scheduling the appointment and the tickets and then I told them and they were supportive then. At the end it is your health. The main reason my family was against it was that misconseption that some people have about getting surgery in Mexico, but Dr. Ortiz is the best in his field and I am glad I did this with him. I think that ultimately you have to make the decision for yourself. Good Luck and hopefully you can get it you will see that you won't regret it, for me this has been the best decision I have made for myself.

Susy

:lb14:

This is my story too! ><'

I am a Mother of a 3 year old and a 1 year old and when I first considered going to Mexico, I was scared of everything..even the plane trip! I had the same thougts as you. What if the plane crashes? What if I die during surgery? What if my husband is left to raise our kids alone because I went off to Mexico to have some crazy weight loss surgery?

Whern it came down to it, I knew in the back of my head that I was gonna be fine and I WAS! Everything went better than expected. The trip from start to finish was a wonderful experience I will never forget. I know I have made the right decision for myself and my family. I am losing weight and feeling great!

Ultimately, it is only you who can make the decision. We are here to support you through it all. :lb18:

I knew in my heart that I was going to die if I didn't do somehting. Heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes and strokes all run in my family. I recently "aquired" high blood pressure.... and so the story begins....

I want to be here when my girls have my Grandchildren, I don't want to miss out. I got to the point where I would make excuses not to go to family functions or any kind of outings [not to mention hiding from camara's!] because I didn't want anyone to see my fat butt!! I decided I didn't want to live this way any more, I WANT TO LIVE!! I was tired of being miserable all the time and letting my weight rule my life. I'm going to rule my weight and in turn rule my health!

Most of us on this Forum have been banded by Dr. Ortiz in Mexico. He banded me on 3-25-08 and I'm happy with everything assosiated with my suregery from start to finish. Any details you want to know, feel free to ask. This forum is awesome and the people here will tell you straight up!! :lb16:

Best wishes and no worries!! Darlene :-h

Momonamission, You are in the right place talking to the right people. We know exactly what you are and have been going through. Every single one of us had doubts of going to Mexico for surgery. Everybody!! We all freaked out over the "what ifs...". But.....go to the testimonial and experiences link - read them....Very, and I mean very, rarely will you find a bad experience. I did not even know this forum existed before I was banded. Had I have known I would not have struggled with my decision so much nor would I have spent so much time trying to convince my husband...I would have just read him the testimonials. Please keep us posted and good luck. We are here for you!!!!!!!

Hi Momonamission,

My whole life I have walked on the safe side. I don't take a lot risks, always wear my seat belt, never (well rarely) speed, throw out everything when it reaches the 'best before' date, etc. I thought about weight surgery for years and I researched it for just about as long, but I was too scared to go through with it. However, when I came across the OCC site I kept getting drawn back to it. I lurked behind the forum just reading the posts before I finally outed myself.

I have 2 kids and I'm a single mom. I knew the life I was leading (like you losing or to gain it back) was killing me. Also, the way my kids were eating was doing them no good. Shortly after my 47th birthday I realized I had gained back almost all of the 50 lbs that had taken me over a year to lose. I started thinking... so if I continue at this rate... what will I be like at 50? 60? 65? Fat, fatter, fatter yet? I decided to 'take a BIG risk' and just do it. I sent my deposit and believe me the thought of surgery 'in the infamous Tijuana' was nerve-wracking.

I had my surgery at the OCC last Thursday. And you know what? The OCC is immaculate, the surgical and support staff are wonderful, the hotel was gorgeous and even Tijuana (other than the fact they drive like maniacs and there is quite a bit of poverty) was a lot of fun. I realized that this really wasn't a risk at all. It was a life decision. I know I made a wonderful decision to improve mine. AND... I have been telling everyone how wonderful Dr. Ortiz and the OCC is. hmmm.... too bad Dr. Ortiz doesn't offer 'bird dogs' or referral premiums for all the people I have recommended to him.

Good luck with your life decision.

Denise

'Living the dream'

THANK YOU SO MUCH. Y'ALL ARE GREAT. I HAVE ALL THESE EMOTIONS AND FEARS I JUST CAN'T EXPLAIN. IN MY HEAD I KNOW I AM NOT ALONE, BUT IT FEELS LIKE I AM SO MUCH OF THE TIME. IT REALLY HELPS TO HEAR THAT SO MANY OF YOU SAY MY STORY IS YOUR STORY. I LOVE MYSELF AND THINK I'M A VALUEABLE PERSON. THAT SET ASIDE, I DO NOT WANT TO BE IN THE BODY I AM IN. I SEE MYSELF AS ACTIVE AND OUT GOING, BUT I DO NOT ALWAYS FEEL THAT WAY.. HEARING Y'ALLS STORIES MAKES ME FEEL BETTER ABOUT MY DECISION. I NEED PEOPLE WHO HAVE BEEN IN MY SHOES AND TRIED AND FAILED AS I HAVE. MY SIZE 6 FREINDS HAVE NO EXPERIENCE TO HELP ME MAKE A CHOICE. ANYBODY OUT THERE WHO READS THIS.....PLEASE TELL ME YOUR STORY AND WHAT FINALLY MADE YOU DO IT. DO ANY OF YOU HAVE REGRETS? IS THERE ANYBODY WHO HAD IT DONE OVER TWO YEARS AGO? WHEN I READ THE RESPONSES I STARTED TO CRY. NOT MY TYPICAL RESPONSE TO MOST THINGS. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!BY THE WAY,MY SPELLING STINKS, MY GRAMMER STINKS, AND COMPUTER SKILLS STINK. BUT, IF YOU NEED YOUR HAIR CUT OR COLORED ...I AM YOUR GIRL.

THANK YOU SO MUCH. Y'ALL ARE GREAT. I HAVE ALL THESE EMOTIONS AND FEARS I JUST CAN'T EXPLAIN. IN MY HEAD I KNOW I AM NOT ALONE, BUT IT FEELS LIKE I AM SO MUCH OF THE TIME. IT REALLY HELPS TO HEAR THAT SO MANY OF YOU SAY MY STORY IS YOUR STORY. I LOVE MYSELF AND THINK I'M A VALUEABLE PERSON. THAT SET ASIDE, I DO NOT WANT TO BE IN THE BODY I AM IN. I SEE MYSELF AS ACTIVE AND OUT GOING, BUT I DO NOT ALWAYS FEEL THAT WAY.. HEARING Y'ALLS STORIES MAKES ME FEEL BETTER ABOUT MY DECISION. I NEED PEOPLE WHO HAVE BEEN IN MY SHOES AND TRIED AND FAILED AS I HAVE. MY SIZE 6 FREINDS HAVE NO EXPERIENCE TO HELP ME MAKE A CHOICE. ANYBODY OUT THERE WHO READS THIS.....PLEASE TELL ME YOUR STORY AND WHAT FINALLY MADE YOU DO IT. DO ANY OF YOU HAVE REGRETS? IS THERE ANYBODY WHO HAD IT DONE OVER TWO YEARS AGO? WHEN I READ THE RESPONSES I STARTED TO CRY. NOT MY TYPICAL RESPONSE TO MOST THINGS. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!BY THE WAY,MY SPELLING STINKS, MY GRAMMER STINKS, AND COMPUTER SKILLS STINK. BUT, IF YOU NEED YOUR HAIR CUT OR COLORED ...I AM YOUR GIRL.

Hey - here is the link to my experience I posted on the patient experiences thread...

http://www.lapbandforum.com/index.php?show...amp;#entry20832

What finally made me do it? I have PCOS and have been off birth control for 3 years without getting pregnant. First line treatment is weight loss. I wanted the band but it was way too expensive for me... but when I found out about surgery in Mexico ...I said that's it...I'm having it done. I knew if I got pregnant I would become a gestational diabetic and never recover from it. It is just something that commonly comes with PCOS and I did not want to bring a child into the world in my state nor did I want to live my life like that.

My only regret is not doing it sooner.....absolutely no regrets concerning the band.

Hope all this helps. Misty

:lb14: Momonamission,

I am alot older than most of my fellow band sisters. I researched the band for two years before making my decision. I kept thinking I could do it myself and gained and lost the same 20 pounds many times. My husband is a family practice physician and when I mentioned Mexico he about went nuts. However, I had made an arrangement with Carolyn, one of the OCC Coordinators to have Dr Ortiz call my husband. They spoke for about 30 minutes after which my husband said go ahead. He came with me and was very impressed with the doctors, the facility and how everything was handled. He has now referred several of his patients to Dr Ortiz, need I say more?

Go for it, you will never regret the decision!!!!

We live in Park City and although I cannot ski because of previous back surgeries, I do snowshoe and hike. And yes, it is awful having to have someone else do up your boots because you can't bend to do them.

Arlene

(utahmom)

... BUT, IF YOU NEED YOUR HAIR CUT OR COLORED ...I AM YOUR GIRL.

momonamission,

hi there! will you do my recoloring of my hair? i went away for the weekend got inspired by MamaMichelle to have a haircut and color... actually I did highlights but I think I look like an Orangatang!!! I'm Asian with blonde highlights!!! I was promised dark brown highlights that were suppose to look natural.. I know there are people out there laughiing at me, this! I have never done this before... I love my cut but the highlights arrgggg... that's me showing frustration...I growl. anyways my little girls (4 and 5) said mom we want your black hair back and to take off my hair now! That about says it all, i think. Vanity!!!

your story is so very similar to mine. my advise is if you have family, sisters and sister-in-laws and mother-in-law.. don't tell them... that's my only regret. my husband was behind me since I started researching lapband about 1 1/2 years ago. i finally did it when i convinced my husband to have it done with dr. ortiz. my husband barely understood what lapband really entails but he opened his mouth and told his mom and then she told my sister-in-laws and and my sisters (i told them, i think, 'cause i said what the heck..my in-laws already knows) found out and then my mom. my point is i was exhausted telling everyone about the procedure over and over again and again. some were frustrating me because they had attitude. they kept asking ridiculous questions like how much will you loose right after surgery after they cut out the fat??? yeah... it was very frustrating. i finally asked them to pray for me and that it was really my decision and was mostly for my health. I too have diabetes and high blood pressure, sleeplessness, aches in joints and back. My diabetes has not reached normal yet but it has reduced to 137 midday after a meal which usually would register at about 200-almost 300 depending on what I ate. the medication made me feel sick..diarrhea, headaches, hair loss... lots of side effects that were not sitting well with me... I was very lethargic and had no energy. I am now walking every other day, am not taking any meds. i get sleep now... i actually sleep at night which was amazing to me! I really think it was those pills that kept me up at nights, one of those side effects. enough about that.

the lapband is a tool and you should really research it thoroughly for yourself, know what to expect before and after surgery. it's no easy task, believe me.. I'm 7 weeks post-op and will be "filled" very soon with my bandster sisters from this forum. i was so excited when i lost 9 lbs before surgery doing the pre-op and then an add'l 11 lbs. i've regained a few lbs. (that's why I can't wait to get filled) but I feel good and I am not gorging on food, since the band will not let you (my experience anyways) we are here to support you if you need us and please do a search on the forum here about your questions... you'll find they have mostly been addressed. i have 2 young children and didn't want to raise them as a fat mommy this time around in mommyhood. i also have two older girls, 21 and 19, that can recall and have honestly said they were somewhat embarrassed by a chubby mom as teens when they saw that some of their friend's moms were normal in size. i did it all.. for my kids and my hubby, who by the way can't wait to see the body he said he married. joking all aside you will not regret the decision to have the surgery done in Mexico... the fear of a TJ facility is a big hoax since the staff there are so wonderful and experienced and the doctors are adorable. the lapband surgery are one of many weight loss surgeries, but from my research, it was the right one for me. "utahmom" Arlene has a doctor for a husband and afer speaking w/Dr. O, he was convinced. best of luck to you and i will pray for you! bless your heart for the tears you shed... you'll find a lot of wonderful supportive people here.

if you decide on lapband, do a research on what you should be looking for in a lapband surgeon. decide on a surgeon you trust.. figure out how you will do your fill or if it is included. consider your exercise regime. i did my research and it led me to Dr. O for qualifications/expertise and it saved me money so I decided to do the first fill back at OCC.. if I have time and it's feasible then I will continue at OCC otherwise I already have a local place to have my future fills and unfills. then get involved in a support group. mine is here as you can see.

blessings to you and i do hope you join us...

Hanna :)

p.s. TJ facility I endorse is only Dr. Ortiz's since that's who I had my surgery with. There are lots of lapband and WLS docs in TJ, but for lapband, I would have to say Dr. Ortiz is the best!

YOU ALL GAVE ME WHAT I NEEDED. I FEEL MORE COMFORTABLE WITH MY DECISCION. MY HUSBAND AND I JUST SIGNED PAPERS TO BORROW MONEY OFF HIS 401K PLAN. YOU PAY YOURSELF BACK THE INTEREST INSTEAD OF SOME BANK. I WISH I JUST HAD THAT KIND OF MONEY HANGING AROUND BUT I DON'T. ANYWAY...I AM VERY EXCITED AND STILL A LITTLE SCARED. I DON'T THINK THAT WILL CHANGE SINCE I AM A WORRY WART. BUT I NEEDED TO HEAR FROM REAL PEOPLE AND NOT SOME PERSON THAT COULD HAVE BEEN PAID FOR WHAT THEY SAID. THIS IS AN AWSOME FORUM. I CAN TELL HOW MUCH Y'ALL CARE FOR EACH OTHER. IN TODAY'S WORLD THAT MEANS SOMETHING. BY THE WAY, THE LADY WITH ORANGE HAIR. IF YOU HAVE A SALLY'S BEAUTY SUPPLY GO THERE. IT IS HARD FOR ME TO TELL YOU WHAT TO DO WITH OUT SEEING IT BUT I WILL TRY. I WOULD START WITH A LEVEL 6N. THE LADIES AT SALLY'S SHOULD KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS. MAKE SURE IT IS TEMPORARY COLOR BECAUSE IF IT IS PERMINANT THE HAIR THAT IS NOT HIGHLIGHTED WILL TURN LIGHTER.(NOT GOOD) IF YOUR HAIR IS REALLY REALLY ORANGE THAN YOU CAN MIX HALF AND HALF OF 6N AND 7A. 7A MEANS LEVEL 7 WITH AN ASH BASE. IF IT IS NOT REALLY ORANGE DO NOT DO THIS BECAUSE YOUR HAIR COULD TURN GREEN.(AGAIN, NOT GOOD) SOUNDS HARD BUT NOT REALLY. MOST LIKELY START WITH 6N TEMPORARY. IT WILL FADE , BUT THAT'S OKAY. YOU MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE TO DO THIS UNTIL IT GROWS OUT. LET ME KNOW HOW IT WORKS FOR YOU. I AM A COLOR SPECIALIST. BUT I NEVER GIVE OUT ADVICE FOR HOME COLORING WITHOUT SEEING THE HAIR. GOOD LUCK.

I know what you mean...this group really makes you feel well informed and supported! :cheerleader:

I think I could add a big "AMEN" after most of those comments! My family thought I was crazy too...MEXICO?! No way!!! After the research at the OCC website and many others I feel like I'm getting the best deal with the most experienced doctors and staff! I'm being banded on the 14th of May and you couldn't make me go anyplace else- not after hearing the comments on this site! ^_^

I wish you all the best because it is, after all, a very personal decision. I don't get to post a lot because I can't find the time but when I do get on it's very encouraging. :lb11:

All the best!

Caro

Hi momonamission, it's me the gal with the orange hair! LOL! I really didn't mean for you to go through all that trouble explaining to me the solution... you are SOO Sweet!!! You belong with us here and I'm glad you have made your decision. Yay!!!! About my hair... I'm not too worried, I was told that I can go to the salon and have it redone in 3 weeks?? Is that true? Something about giving my hair time to relax before I do something to it again and damage my hair. We don't have a Sally's here... we have a Karin's beauty supply... I think they have all the hair products there that you were mentioning... I don't really have time to worry about it right now as my child is sick and I leave in 2 days for my fill in TJ... Yes we are meeting up about 5 of us who had our surgery on the 28th of Feb. Therefore the ladies will see my monstrosity! LOL!!! I'll style my hair nicely and hope that it won't look too bad!

Keep posting.. and keep researching.. If when I return from the fill and I still can't stand my hair then I'm going to try what you posted here.. I'm going to copy now! LOL (Lots of laugh), we try to be funny here with the reality of things.. sometimes it helps to not be soo serious.. You take care and I'll see around the forum!

Hanna :)

I was just a lurker in the forums when I scheduled my lapband surgery, but I knew I would have family that would make my life MISERABLE by trying to talk me out of going to Tijuana. To stop that before it started, I paid my deposit, bought my plane tickets, and had websites ready to email each member of my family. When I told them, and they started their tirade, I just told them that it was too late, that the whole thing was already paid for, and they could bitch and moan all they wanted to, but it wouldn't change anything. Amazingly, it worked, and none of them had anything to say about it after that.

After I returned from an amazing trip, each of them grilled me for details, and were amazed that I had such a wonderful experience at such a new, beautiful, clean clinic with amazing doctors and staff.

Anyway, that is the way I handled family.