Does it bother you?

When members on here talk about their weight loss and dropping sizes or do you like to congratulate them? I, personally, think it is a great accomplishment and I love to praise them. I just wonder if some people who are not doing as well get discouraged by these types of posts?

I love to see other peoples' success! Even when I'm not losing (and I've only lost 10 lb. in almost 4 weeks... *sigh*), it encourages me to see others doing so well, because I know that while it may not be me this week (or month), that it will and CAN be me as well.

No, actually it encourages me. My weight loss has slowed down since I started eating real food and when I see people losing weight without a fill...like MamaMichelle, it makes me make wiser food choices.

(and I've only lost 10 lb. in almost 4 weeks... *sigh*)

Why do you use the word only? 10 lbs in less than a month is a spot on rate of healthy weight loss. If I lose faster than that I start to get worried about malnutrition.

Why do you use the word only? 10 lbs in less than a month is a spot on rate of healthy weight loss. If I lose faster than that I start to get worried about malnutrition.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to have lost it... I'm saying "comparatively speaking". Some people can drop that in a week - which would be like winning the lottery for me as opposed to working a lifetime to become the millionaire. Wouldn't we all rather hit the jackpot? LOL!

I love reading those posts. I love looking at everyones ticker and one day I'll post mine on here. :rolleyes:

The ones I appreciate as well are the "I've messed up, but now I'm on track and here's how I did it" posts. I know I'll be there someday and it's reassuring to know that other people have too and they pulled themselves out of it.

What I don't like (I know, you didn't ask) are the posts where people talk about cheating on their pre-op diet, one last supper (which turns into one last supper for every night until they are banded) and how much they "cheat." Then they ask for advice. What advice can you give them other than "don't do that." THEY know what to do and no one can tell them how to change their mindset.

Jena (dodging rotten tomatoes)

When members on here talk about their weight loss and dropping sizes or do you like to congratulate them? I, personally, think it is a great accomplishment and I love to praise them. I just wonder if some people who are not doing as well get discouraged by these types of posts?

Any accomplishment is a huge accomplishment...and as we all know, weight goes up and down...that's life..but from what I can see everyone is doing fabulous and it's a huge incentive for me to get a move on.

First consult with surgeon tommorrow...nervous and excited!! I am finally starting the journey!!!

Cathy

Wouldn't we all rather hit the jackpot? LOL!

Sustainable weight loss is the jackpot. Time and time again studies have shown that slow steady weight loss is the most sustainable and the most likely to be permanent. The number I've heard thrown around with these studies is 1 to 2 lbs a month. Can't speak for anyone else but if I lose 5 or more pounds a week I get very ill very fast. Just as you shouldn't endanger your long term goals for short term gratification (taking speed or heroin will help you lose weight right quick after all), you shouldn't be down on yourself when you're doing as great as you are in a healthy manner.

I love to cheer on other people who are doing well. One week it might be them, and who knows the next it might be us! Also...ten pounds in a month is awesome...hold your head high!

It doesn't bother me at all, actually it makes me smile and try to do better!! :lb25: I too am staying the same since I started real food, I don't think I'm over eating, but have made some bad choices. I learned some lessons, from my mistakes and from the mistakes of my fellow bandsters and am forging ahead. :lb16:

PS I LOVE THIS FORUM!!

I am totally motivated and excited to see other peoples progress, whether it's ups or downs we have all BEEN THERE! I think that so many people have struggles that when someone loses even one lb because it's a pound that is gone forever!!

BeBe- We all have different starting weights 10lbs off of you who started at what some people consider their goal weight is amazing... I can't wait to be in Onderland like you!

I know for me, seeing other people's success really helped me. I didn't post on here for a long time, because I thought I was doing such a horrible job with this whole band thing. I went over a year without losing ONE SINGLE POUND!! Talk about struggling. Gradually, seeing other's success...I knew I could do this. I just had to get back on the right track.

I get so excited to see other people losing weight and to hear how its changing their lives. Living down in the middle of nowhere, I have no support system. It has finally occurred to me that this forum can be a great source of support, if I'll let it. The truth is...we are all connected in our struggles with obesity. I know I've posted my story to offer encouragement. My weight loss didn't happen overnight. I didn't get the band and then "POOF", I got skinny. I think we all go into this thinking that is the way it should happen...and for some, it does. For me, it didn't happen that way...and I still have a ways to go. I look forward to seeing many more pics and stories of success. We all CAN do this!!

What a great group we have here! ><' These answers just made my day.

I LOVE reading about other peoples' successes. It is very uplifting to me.

ABSOLUTELY believe that this forum is motivating, inspiring and overall a realistic look at how others are dealing, working, and losing with the lapband. I joined for these reasons and feel like contributing and reading daily will give me something to look forward to, realize how others are doing (good or not so good) and hopefully help someone who is considering this surgery. I reviewed this forum before surgery and was very motivated and clearly understood what others were going through. I would say that because of this forum it is one of the serveral reasons I chose to go with Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Martinez. Everyone seems to be pretty honest and well, blunt, about their experience and advice - which I LOVE and ADMIRE! :lb21:

><'

I really love reading about what others are doing and to know that we are all experiencing different things and knowing I am not alone when I am not doing well and that others are going through the same things is quite a comfort when I am down on myself. I am going for my second fill this afternoon as I haven't lost any more weight since February....hope this will kickstart things again. Will keep everyone posted.

Donna

I haven't been banded yet...4/21 is the day. However, I find myself drawn daily to this forum for an update on everyone's success (knowing one day, I'll have it too) their set-backs (yep, I can't count on those as well) and the stalls (no gain, no loss).

It is motivating to read about each pound lost, but moreso how it's not just about losing pounds but starting a whole new life. And I LOVE seeing the pictures of "the incredible shrinking banders".

I use to read my horoscope, but this forum has become my daily horoscope. Because of the postings, I know what my future holds!

Congratulations to all of you!

Barb

BeBe,

You are successful! 10 lbs in a month is excellent - anyway, I understand if we lose weight too fast we end up with gall bladder problems - who needs that!

You are losing the perfect amount.

Helen ><'

I think we all are interested in how everyone is doing; it keeps us focused. To read about those who are doing a terrific job losing weight, is so motivating. And for those who are having a rougher time, we are all here to give them understanding and encouragement because we know the weight WILL come off eventually for all of us who continue to work on it.

Helen ><'

BeBe,

You are successful! 10 lbs in a month is excellent - anyway, I understand if we lose weight too fast we end up with gall bladder problems - who needs that!

You are losing the perfect amount.

Helen ><'

Thanks for the support! There was a point in life where I lost 60 lb. in 6 weeks (granted, I ended up in the hospital with near kidney failure because I wasn't eating much and therefor, kept forgetting to drink water). unfortunately, I often think back on that time with fondness. Seeing the scale change by a pound or two everyday was a real high.

I'm OK with losing a pound or two a week now. But I won't lie and say I don't wish this extra weight would come off overnight. LOL! But now, as long as the scale is making SOME movement downward, I am thrilled. :-)

I feel such a great bond in this group that it doesn't matter who is losing weight and who isn't to me. When someone loses a pound, I get this picture of our whole group taking one hop forward on the ticker line. =D>

I LOVE hearing about the success others are having. I am stuck in a rut right now end of the liquid diet so I am sure I have entered the starvation mode and will start exercising Monday to speed things up. But knowing that at one point that will be me inching ever so closer to the onderland (Go MammaMichelle I am so excited for you) makes me want to encourage and congratulate those who are doing so well right now. So for those who are losing and those who aren't I am sure everybody is working hard and by this time next year we will be hundreds of pounds lighter and that much stronger.

I haven't even had my surgery yet (YET! Key word), but coming on this forum and reading everyone's success stories, stories of struggling at times, anything... its all helpful because it lets me see that while the band is going to be a huge asset for me in my weight loss journey, and it will make it easier to control myself, it is STILL going to take hard work on my part to get the job done! I like that because I don't want to feel like I took the 'easy way out' and 'cheated' - I have always been one to fight for what I want, and work hard to get it! I love coming on here to read everyone's stories and I love reading about your successes and knowing that some day that will be my story. Also, being that I have BMI of between 31- 33 (depending on the day ha ha), I have been worried that it will be harder for me to lose the weight and that maybe the band won't be as helpful. Through coming on here, I have found several other women who have started at a BMI of about the same, and are not struggling any more than everyone else. Its comforting to know that.