Tomorrow is my 1 yr band annv.

I just thought I would do a short post of my last year. I thought it might be encouraging to those who have just begun or are thinking of going through the journey of getting the lap band.

I am of one of those people who does everything for everyone else and nothing for me. It was a huge decision to spend the money on the band when our family could of used it for something else. It is the BEST money I have ever spend. I would do it again in a heart beat.

In a year I have lost 95 pounds. I am proud of myself and know that without the band I would of been heavier then when I began this journey. I have had no real issues or complications. I had smooth sailing until Jan. I went for a fill apt and I had no fill. My Dr. was puzzled. He refilled me and I went back 3 weeks later and had no fill again. At some point he must of somehow made a hole while trying to do a fill. I have always had my fills done under floro. He is now filling me with a thicker solution and I have maintained that fill two months now. Problem solved. I wish I lived closer so that it would be easier for me to go back to Dr. Ortiz's office for the fills but its impossible. Even with the slight set back I would still do it all over.

At the begining I lost very fast and now I average about a pound a week. I am okay with this. This is how the band is suppose to work. I am going to the gym 5 times a week and it feels great although I still hate to work out.

Feel free to email me if you would like to ask any questions...... childrensgarden2@bellsouth.net

Shannon

Thanks for your post Shannon, it does help us all feel better!! Congrats on your weight loss!! AWESOME!! =D> I hope to do as well as you! Sorry about your band leaking, that must have been a scarey time for you, I know I would have been going crazy! Keep us updated, fingers crossed that the thicker solution continues to work! ><'

Thank you so much for sharing... I hope I will be as successful a year from now. You are an inspiration.

I just thought I would do a short post of my last year. I thought it might be encouraging to those who have just begun or are thinking of going through the journey of getting the lap band.

I am of one of those people who does everything for everyone else and nothing for me. It was a huge decision to spend the money on the band when our family could of used it for something else. It is the BEST money I have ever spend. I would do it again in a heart beat.

In a year I have lost 95 pounds. I am proud of myself and know that without the band I would of been heavier then when I began this journey. I have had no real issues or complications. I had smooth sailing until Jan. I went for a fill apt and I had no fill. My Dr. was puzzled. He refilled me and I went back 3 weeks later and had no fill again. At some point he must of somehow made a hole while trying to do a fill. I have always had my fills done under floro. He is now filling me with a thicker solution and I have maintained that fill two months now. Problem solved. I wish I lived closer so that it would be easier for me to go back to Dr. Ortiz's office for the fills but its impossible. Even with the slight set back I would still do it all over.

At the begining I lost very fast and now I average about a pound a week. I am okay with this. This is how the band is suppose to work. I am going to the gym 5 times a week and it feels great although I still hate to work out.

Feel free to email me if you would like to ask any questions...... childrensgarden2@bellsouth.net

Shannon

HAPPY BANDAVERSARY !!!!!!!! ;)

Thanks for the update!! Wow, I have a fear of puncturing the tubing. It is reassuring to know they can fill you with a thicker substance so that it don't leak out.

Shannon,

Congratulations on your incredible weight loss! You're amazing!

I'm wondering though... If the saline solution that they use to inflate the band leaks out, where does it go? Hmmm... If I stood on my head after would it end up in my boobs? ...nahhhh... with my luck it'd drop down and go straight to my butt! :D

<just kidding>. :laugh1:

Shannon,

Congratulations on your incredible weight loss! You're amazing!

I'm wondering though... If the saline solution that they use to inflate the band leaks out, where does it go? Hmmm... If I stood on my head after would it end up in my boobs? ...nahhhh... with my luck it'd drop down and go straight to my butt! :D

<just kidding>. :laugh1:

Ha ha ha...Redhead that made me laugh so hard I almost lost my shake. :-) And my luck would be the same instead of bigger breasts I would end up with abnormally large cheeks or a huge nose or something like that.

Oh my goodness redhead and doinfi I almost peed my pants reading your post! They actaully say it just leaks into your body and you pee it out .......human bodies are crazy. lol.

Thanks for all the support. I know a year ago I was so nervous and thought it might ease some worries. I love to hear updates on people and how they are doing.

I started at 328 and would like to get to 170ish.....and know that day will come. I have actually seen two plastic surgeons and I am waiting to see if my insurance will pay for the removal of my intertube....lol...my hanging skin around my hip and tummy area. Both surgeons said even if I lost another 100 pounds nothing would change in that area...there is no more fat just skin there. So, we will see. If they wont I plan to wait one more year and pay for it myself. My arms are the same way and I am hoping ot have them done this summer.

Good luck to you all and I will try and keep you update.

Feel free to email me anytime with questions or just to chat.

childrensgarden2@bellsouth.net

Shannon

Shannon... so it sounds like you have lost alot of weight. How much have you lost.. please share. Thanks for the laugh's gals! Can always count on something funny in here!

One more "Way to Go"! Shannon- to post in your Success Journal - what a great job you have accomplished in one year.

By the way, how many fills did you have it one year? Do you have any problems eating certain foods, and are there any you stay away from completely? Ah, here's another: Do you follow the golden rule and stay away from drinking one hour before and one hour after a meal?

Helen ><'

Shannon

WHAT AN AWESOME UPDATE SHANNON, CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Okay the official number lost is 97 pounds!

fatcat: I have had a total of 6. On what would of been my 4th fill is when they discovered I had a leak. So, as the Dr. played around trying to figure out what was going on I lost fill number 3 and 4. Number 5 and 6 have been done with omnipaque. When I lost my fills I had to start all over and they did small fills so I am finally back up to where I lost my original fill. Hope you followed that.....Its early....lol.

Yes, I follow the golden rule to a degree. My Dr in the states says you can drink up to the minute before you eat but no liquid for and hour to 1.5 hours after you eat. Normally I follow the golden rule on the hour before and after but if I break anything its the hour before. I find I have a hard time if I try to drink early.

Thanks for all the congrats.

Shannon

• 2 months later...

Well, I thought I would update. It has been almost 15 months since I was banded. 3 weeks ago I had a extended tummy tuck and arm lift. I lost another 16 pounds from it for a total so far of 123 pounds. I would like to lose another 10 or 15 pounds and eventually have a thigh lift but that is a while away. I will share pictures as soon as I get some taken. My arms are still swollen but it made a huge difference. I went down two sizes in pants because I had so much extra skin. It feels great to wear short sleeves without three arms hanging out...lol.

Just thought I would share.

Shannon

Thank you for sharing your progress.. You should be very proud of yourself.

I can't wait for the pictures. CONGRATULATIONS ><' ><'