just a question..

hi everyone!

i have been reading alot of articles. and i am finding that it is pretty common to lose your hair - or the thickness of your hair. especially with gastric. is it the same for lap band?

has anyone noticed hair loss?

and is there anything to take as a pre-cautionary for hair loss?

Hi

I was banded in Feb of this year and I was just talking to my hairdresser last night as I seem to be losing more hair than ususal. Some say its caused by lack of protein,but i swear I eat more protein than before.

Another theory is that it is the stress of surgery.

Hopefully I don't end up thin but bald.

Nicolek

It is a result of lack of calories and nutrition. You must take your vitimans and get in all your protein. MUST MUST MUST!!! Also it is very good to take biotin. I am a hair stylist so I know these things really help. Make sure your protien comes from different sources. You can buy this little shot glass thing from a vitamin store that has 42 grams of protien in them. Do not drink it all at one time. Your body can only break down so much protien in a sitting. That shot glass should last you about two days and you should still eat most of your protien to make sure you get enough kinds in. Good luck. Dawn

I was also told by my hairdresser to take Biotin [i got it from our local Walmart, not expensive.] It's a vitamin supplement and I started taking it a month before my surgery and I haven't lost any hair. This was a big concern of mine because I have fine hair to begin with. I'm still taking the Biotin, as a matter of fact, I picked up a new bottle yesterday. It also helps your nails and skin. I have crappy nails and it seems to have strenghened them also. I highly recommend taking it, just let them know at the OCC to add it to your "daily meds list" when you go to have your surgery. Best wishes, Darlene

Momonamission-

What is Biotin? Is it a shampoo sort of product or oral supplement?

Thanks!

Amber

Biotin is an oral supplement. Cheap here in canada. I have taken it for many months (doubled the dose) but did not see a difference in thickness of hair.

I lost 80lbs in '04 and my hair got really thin. My doctor said it was because I lost the weight so fast (7mths) and my body had not adjusted to the lost. It has never been the same even though I gained most of the weight back.

I don't think its about how much protein we are taking in because I was on Atkins in '04 and my diet had plenty of protein. That being said it obviously has something to do with our diets. We are deficient in something.

Here in Florida, you can buy Biotin in shampoo and conditioner form. I use it and love it. I don't have thin hair by any means, but it makes your hair super healthy. It comes in different levels depending on how severe the thinning of your hair is. I usually buy it from Trade Secret, they might sell it online, too.

Sorry I did not reply sooner. I was working on all that hair. I always recomend the oral one as that can help more than just your hair. However, if the shampoo and conditioner work good with your hair ...who am I to tell you not to use it. One is just topical and the other works from the inside. Your could do both. Also get in your protien and vitimins. Let's see if I am as good of a patient when I have to take all those pills. I never take all that I am supose to. I even got an IUD because I did not feel like taking the pill. Good luck. Also, alot of people with thyoroid problems lose hair....think about having it checked. Dawn

GNC Women's Hair, Skin & Nails Formula...

has anyone heard of it? it has 3000 mcg of biotin

Then there is biotin - sitting right next to it.

One has 2500 mcg and one has 5000 mcg

I am not sure if one brand is better than the other - I mean obviously - the 5000 is probably the best.

But also - I has a question after reading Alana's message - I went to my local mall - and looked for a shampoo with Biotin in it. I found some on the internet - but I wanted to see if I had it closer.... Anyway

I was told the salon had nothing with Biotin IN it.. but they had a product for thinning hair - and/or hair loss. NIOXIN - It has BioAmp - She told me it had great reviews. and I was just wondering if anyone has tried it/heard of it.

Or possibly something better than that.

Thanks everyone!!

I personally take the 5000 Biotin, one cap once a day. I have'nt lost any hair. The only time I ever remember losing hair was after my girls were born. I've been on a million diets and my hair's never fallen out. I wasn't willing to find out though, so I started the Biotin ahead of time. I never heard of the shampoo....

I personally take the 5000 Biotin, one cap once a day. I have'nt lost any hair. The only time I ever remeber losing hair was after my girls were born. I've been on a million diets and my hair's never fallen out. I wasn't willing to find out though, so I started the Biotin ahead of time. I never heard of the shampoo....

Ok thank you!

thanks for the great info I already have such thin hair and tend to lose alot even prior to the band. I need to pick some up. I love the info on here. Lora

thanks for the great info I already have such thin hair and tend to lose alot even prior to the band. I need to pick some up. I love the info on here. Lora

I had thin hair (pre-surgery) too and when I went to the hairdresser today she said I had a lot of breakage and asked what is up. I mentioned I had been on a restrictive diet and this was probably the cause. Her recommendation was a protein based leave in conditioner which I will be looking for but I think I will start taking biotin too.

Amber

I went and looked at your photos and you look great!!!!!

Maytee =D>

Thanks Maytee!!! I still have a long way to go.. But I'm glad I can now actually see the results myself. It took me 9 months!!

Thanks EVERYONE for the great info!!! I stopped at Wal-Mart today but forgot to grab any of the Biotin! It's on the list for next time :)

Alot of stylist will try to sell you things you do not need, so be aware. Nioxin is a good product for people who are going thru male pattern baldness or women who are losing hair right up front from that same hormone that gets trapped in the scalp and sqeezes out the hair folicles. Nioxin works by cleaning out the hair folicles so hair can grow again. BUT, we at the OCC are losing hair for a different reason. We are not getting what we need in our diet. There are shampoos that will help with volume, but that is only helping with what you do have. You have to fix this problem from the inside out. The topical stuff is cool to use but will not grow you new hair. Dawn

Dawn, I plan on getting some biotin for myself as my hair is real thin..the question I have is that my hubby is using Nioxin and Rogaine and I havent seen a difference should I have him start taking the biotin as well?? Thanks for the info. Lora

Hey all,

So much info on thinning hair, etc. Thanks so much! I would rather use a special shampoo than take another pill to healthy up my thinning, fine hair. I know part of my problem is hormonal because I have low growth hormone from a damaged pituitary gland after having two pituitary tumors removed since 2001. Also having gamma knife radiation in '05 didn't help and now losing 90lbs has taken a toll on my hair. I finally chopped it off to give it a lift and it looks good, but stiff fine and thin(frizzy) on top. I was taking shots every night of growth hormone before surgery and shortly after had to stop because it flared up my fibromyalgia really bad. Doing much better now, but still taking several meds every day.

I do remember seeing a shampoo with Biotin on the bottle, but can't remember what kind it was. What about Pantene? Is that a good shampoo to use? They say it is, but it's spendy and sometimes it can have the opposite effects on your hair.

Take care everyone and have a great week!

Judy