Started Pre-op Diet Today

Kittycat

OMG!! I thought I was going to throw just trying to get the first Optifast shake down. I love chocolate and shakes, but this powder mixed with water, tastes absolutely gross!! And I have to down 4 per day!!

Lord give me strength.

I was wondering if anyone has some suggestions as to how I can lose the weight without drinking these shakes.

I noticed that most of you have two shakes and a lean cuisine per day. What shakes do you recommend?

Thanks for your help, as always!

Cathy

Cathy, I did the slimfast optima and then switched to the Isopure which has twice the amount of protein. It also comes in a juice formula as well as a shake. It does cost more but I think it tastes good, my fav is the apple melon. Let me know how you are doing. Lora

I drank the slim fast optima creamy milk chocolate shake in cans and put it in the freezer for a few minutes so it would be the consistency of a chocolate shake from McDonalds. I used a fun straw (my fav was a pink straw with a flamingo on it) and trust me, this helped!

OMG!! I thought I was going to throw just trying to get the first Optifast shake down. I love chocolate and shakes, but this powder mixed with water, tastes absolutely gross!! And I have to down 4 per day!!

Lord give me strength.

I was wondering if anyone has some suggestions as to how I can lose the weight without drinking these shakes.

I noticed that most of you have two shakes and a lean cuisine per day. What shakes do you recommend?

Cathy

slim fast optima creamy chocolate for me also. Over the weekend I tried the whey from GNC cookies asn cream and the chocolate caramel. I bought the small bags but im going to get more I used it with low fat milk not water. hope this helps.

I'm doing the PROTEIN shakes from costco. They are called PROTEIN and they are so good. But I know that not all costco carries them. I get them for about 24.00 for 18. IT's a good deal, I really enjoy them. <_<

Thanks Ladies,

I really appreciate your feedback, my patient co-ordinator recommended Diabetic Boost. So I will try it.

I am just really winey today, I think, feeling headachy and aggitated..which I guess is normal considering. I am not hungry which is good, but old habits die hard. Snacking during the day and evening is the hardest. I have my celery for this afternoon, Yeh!!

Have a great day! Cathy

Kitty Kat,

You are in FOOD WITHDRAWAL!!! Try different types of shakes until you find one you like. In my opinion the Optifast were the worst ones, it can only get better! I even tried blending a banana in them and it didn't help! Just read the labels, cause some are loaded with sugar! I get nasty when I am hungry too, just keep trying! Are you using the metamucil capsules??? That helped me feel like I had something in my stomach and saved my family from a massacre!

Thanks again..I tried the Diabetic Boost, that one sucks too!!! OMG!!

I have had one shake and veggies all day!!

My co-ordinator said to thicken and flavour them with cocoa or cinnamon, nutmeg, whatever as long as it's fat free....so I am going to try to freeze it and had a some cocoa. I hope it helps, I have a long way to go, this is only day one! Yuck!

And you are probably right...I am in a mood and food withdrawl and frankly don't like anything right now! I hope it gets better!

Thanks everyone, Cathy

Hang in there and find another protein. I had some protibars and I used one a day with two protein shakes. I hear the EAS shakes are much better. I also had some Wonderslim and it wasn't too bad. I tried Optifast and it sucked. I also understand that Slim Fast Optima is allowed. Try one of those. Don`t count on using the bars after surgery though.

Cheryl

I know what you mean about the shakes. :bad:

My experiences so far:

GNC Whey Chocolate Caramel: has the infamous "protein shake" taste

Medifast (all flavors): also has the "protein shake" taste

Kashi go lean chocolate: has a weird aftertaste... like the white puffs in the kashi go lean cereal

Slimfast coffee: good aftertaste but had a weird creamy feeling going down

Ensure chocolate: delicious! like chocolate milk!

So, the only one I liked was the ensure. But, the ensure only has something like 9 grams of protein. SO, what I've been having is three Carnation Instant Breakfast drink mixes (choices are: chocolate, dark chocolate, strawberry, vanilla, malt chocolate) a day. They are 13 grams of protein (and about 200 calories) each when mixed with a cup of milk and taste great while being a lot cheaper than ensure.

I don't recall ever getting a list of approved protein drinks or how much protein we should have, but it seems to be working for me. For evening snacks I'm having some Special K protein water.

I don't know if it's "approved" or in the guidelines people are referring to, but I like it.

Hope you find something you like!

:lb11:

Lord give me strength.

Cathy

I am just starting my pre-op diet. I was told Ease Advantage Carb Control Drink was good 4 aday with a lean cisine at night before 7pm. Good luck to both of us.

Ok, for me, the Adkins Advantage were GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!! Loved them!

Now, I use GNC 100% whey chocolate caramel or cookies and cream. HOWEVER, I do not make them with water. They taste gross that way! YUCK! Dp it this way, Double the scoops, mix with 2% milk, ice cubes and put in the blender. You will love it. Promise!!!! Just make sure to use MILK not water, and double or even triple the scoops. There is not enough calories to worry about using more. You'll have a delicious milkshake.

Hello,

I'm scheduled for surgery on 6/09/2008 here in phoenix,az and i began my liquid diet 5/28/2008. I use the apex protien powder mix and some ice cubes and 8oz water and i can live with it rather well. It's been 4 days and i'm feeling shakey but worth the process.

• 3 weeks later...

=D>

Keep it up..

I am just now starting the WHOLE process...have to do 90 days of med supervised exercise...might start trying to down some o' them shakes too to get used to it...I hope to be up to y'alls status soon.

=D>

Keep it up..

I am just now starting the WHOLE process...have to do 90 days of med supervised...might start trying to down some o' them shakes too to get used to it...

Thanks Miltrez, I survived, I am now 10 days post op and on creamy soups...so far so good!!

Good luck with your journey!

Cathy

Hi, I start dieting tomorrow and am having surgery on 7/21. Were all of you as nervous about this as I am? I think I've heard every horror story about Mexico there is in the last few weeks. I need to lose 130 pounds at least. Most of you look young...I am 63 and have arthritis in my feet, knees, etc.

Does age make a difference in how much and how fast you lose? Every question I think of triggers another one. I also have never used a forum before so if I mess up please be let me know. Thanks for being here. I've been reading your post and they have helped a lot.

O-M-G....Today is day 3 of pre op diet. Im going INSANE!!!!!!! Its that TOM too...and im seriously feeling almost weak??? I dont know, I think I just need food or something. Im drinking the Slim Fast Optima choc shakes which I love. I feel like I just need more!!!!! Im really struggling with this!!!

• 3 weeks later...
Hang in there and find another protein. I had some protibars and I used one a day with two protein shakes. I hear the EAS shakes are much better. I also had some Wonderslim and it wasn't too bad. I tried Optifast and it sucked. I also understand that Slim Fast Optima is allowed. Try one of those. Don`t count on using the bars after surgery though.

Cheryl

I have use EAS Shakes from the first day. I have found that they taste so much better.

I have use EAS Shakes from the first day. I have found that they taste so much better.

Hi Bobbi,

Thanks for you reply, but the original post was May 27th...I am so beyond pre-op shakes now thank goodness...I have been banded a month now...and will avoid the shakes like the plague. They were so disgusting...unfortunately I did not have a choice of shakes either...Optifast 900 X 4 per day.

Take care, Cathy

I did Medifast and learned that I have an intolerance for soy protein that won't deal with 100+ grams of it a day.

That, and they suck. Sorry, they really do. Nasty concoctions. Puddings aren't any better.

Agree with post above and will add: Protein at Costco (when you can find them) are quite nice. EAS low carb (always at Wal-Mart) are good and Muscle Milk (also at Costco) light ready-to-drink will put them both to shame.

If you can't find it at Costco, I'll recommend the Muscle Milk powder (in both vanilla and chocolate).

• 3 weeks later...
Another Cathy! Welcome!

Have you been banded? When? And how are you doing?

Thank you so much. I will be banded by Dr. Ortiz on 8/7 Next week. I have one week to lose 12 lbs so I am really pushing it. I have saved forever for this surgery and I'm really hoping it all comes to fruition. I've found this board a wealth of information.

Thank you.

Thank you so much. I will be banded by Dr. Ortiz on 8/7 Next week. I have one week to lose 12 lbs so I am really pushing it. I have saved forever for this surgery and I'm really hoping it all comes to fruition. I've found this board a wealth of information.

Thank you.

Congrats!! You can do it...stick to shakes and water and you'll be thinner in no time...best of luck next week.

Be sure to let us know how you are doing!