Finally told my DR.

so today i started off with a dentist apt and then had a Dr. apt.. I started our conversation with "you know how we have talked about weightloss" and "have you heard of lapband?" Well... he blew me away with "Yes, I have a patient with one."

Now, here in Canada this is a relatively new thing (he didn't know they were being done here) but he was so excited about his other patient and how she is doing... answered a bunch of my questions etc and then I dropped the bomb... "Well I had one done too in March" He nearly fell off his chair! He was so excited for me. (this dr is the same one who I had as a teen, delivered all 6 of my kiddos and was with me through all my other issues)

It feels so good to have his support. his final questions were "where are you going for your fills? and how do they do it, can I feel your port?"

He was GREAT!

That's amazing, having the support of your gp is wonderful. As soon as I made the decision to do it, I made an appt with my gp and told him, he was very supportive and provided any and all of the information my lapband surgeon needed without question.

I actually found out on that same day that the assistant in my dr's office had it done last October and has lost 50 lbs...she said if I have any questions, I all I have to do is ask.

It's becoming much more common, even here in Canada than I had even thought.

Great news!

Cathy

Hey there girlie,

Thats great. I am not going to tell my GP until I go for my next annual physical. Next January.

That way I should be close to goal.

Nicolek

P.S How old are your kiddies. Like myself you don't look old enough to have 6.

Hey there girlie,

Thats great. I am not going to tell my GP until I go for my next annual physical. Next January.

That way I should be close to goal.

Nicolek

P.S How old are your kiddies. Like myself you don't look old enough to have 6.

Yeah, I wasn't going to tell him either but then decided since it was time to see him and I needed some other stuff done and I was so excited... well Yah he is great.

kids... oldest is 22 his wife is 20 baby is 4 months old... daughter is 21, son 19, son 17, son 15, son 12... lots of testosterone around here!

Good for you!!! That is great! I'm kinda freaking out to tell my doctor. When I did talk to her she told me that she would not reccomend this surgery but would support me if I decided this is what I wanted to so...It's still going to be hard...Ykwim!

It is always good to see one of our bandsters educating the medical profession on the benefits of Lapband! I want to be a Lapband "poster child" someday!!!! That is the way that changes can be made in our healthcare when they "see" the benefits involved in having the procedure done.

Guest cedartown

Kimra,i just read your signature.I'm scared to lose mine that fast.I'm afraid i'll have to go back & have skin cut off.

I'm hoping to exercise enough so mine will not sag.I'm losing almost 1 lb every day so far but i know i can't keep this up forever.

As soon as i get a fill,i'm gonna shoot for 2 lbs a week.

Are you seeing sagging skin yet?

Kimra,i just read your signature.I'm scared to lose mine that fast.I'm afraid i'll have to go back & have skin cut off.

I'm hoping to exercise enough so mine will not sag.I'm losing almost 1 lb every day so far but i know i can't keep this up forever.

As soon as i get a fill,i'm gonna shoot for 2 lbs a week.

Are you seeing sagging skin yet?

Not yet.. I have a lot of weight to lose tho... so it comes off quick

Yeah, I wasn't going to tell him either but then decided since it was time to see him and I needed some other stuff done and I was so excited... well Yah he is great.

kids... oldest is 22 his wife is 20 baby is 4 months old... daughter is 21, son 19, son 17, son 15, son 12... lots of testosterone around here!

Hi Val

I'm the opposite G=18 G=15 B=13 G=11 G=4 and G=3

My hubbie says even the fish are girls.

Nicolek

I visited my gynocologist about a month before my surgery ( he was thinking I had PCOS, which I don't, thank god) and he asked me if I had ever considered having a breast reduction. I'm only 4'10 and I have a 42DD (down from a 44DD at start of surgery!). I said yes and that my insurance would approve it if I lost 70lbs. I told him that I was getting the lapband to lose weight and that I'd eventually get my breast reduction and he was extremely supportive. he said he had heard about the lapband as a "fix" for certain fertility issues caused by obesity (much like how it's a "fix" for type II diabetes). I haven't told my GP yet, but I plan to the next time I'm there.

*I'd like to say that I do not believe the lapband is a "fix" or "cure" for obesity unless you work hard, eat right, and exercise! Didn't want there to be any confusion there. :)

I actually told my GP about 2 wks before surgery and he was extremely worried for me! He was worried about who here would give me fills, where I would go if there was a complication, etc. As legitimate as his concerns were and as good a doctor as he is, I'm SO glad I didn't listen. I actually have an appointment with him Monday (because Sunday is my 1 month "bandiversary") and I will meet with him each month to let him weigh me, check out the blood pressure and other vitals, and just make real sure I'm getting all the nutrients I need. I'll be sure to report back on how it goes!

Oh, and Anita, you are already such a doll! Those Canadian fellas are L U C K Y!!!!