Back from band camp - my experience at the OCC and TJ

Hi all!

I was banded on Tuesday, 6/24. The OCC (like everyone says) is awesome! The docs are all great (and adorable) as are the nurses. Indeed, such an improvement over my previous surgery experiences in the US.

I posted pics in my gallery of my sister and I (got banded together) and our Dad who came for support.

We went to LaPalapa (across the street from the Lucerna) and had a fantastic dinner the night before surgery. I had ceviche for an appetizer and the "fish La Palapa" for my main course which had a cilantro sauce and cheese and bacon - yummmm!! (Can you tell I'm still on a clear liquid diet and thinking a bit much about food?) :)

I was a little anxious the day of surgery, but the staff really calmed me down - of course they gave us Ativan too, which really helps. Dr. Ortiz came by and chatted with us for a bit - he really put me at ease. He made sure we were clear on what to eat after surgery - and then how to succeed once on solids. And he told us that we'd both be hot mamas soon :) He's just so relaxed and warm and he made me feel much better.

Shortly after surgery I was chatting on the phone with family and sucking on popsicles. last time I had surgery I felt sick from the anesthesia for days, so it was amazing not to have any of that.

My sister and I both went back to the hotel the same day as surgery, which was great. We had the broth and apple juice at the hotel restaurant that night -- it was a bit too much to drink the broth and a whole big glass of juice at one sitting. We were a bit uncomfortable afterwards but did about 6 laps around the block where the hotel is and that helped with the bloating and gas.

The next day we went to the Arts and Crafts market and Revolucion ave. We bought some beautiful pottery at the market. It was a great place to go. I liked it a lot better than Revolucion Ave. Much less pushy sellers, and more beautiful wares in my opinion.

We flew home early Thursday, which was a long flight for me back to NYC. I slept a lot on the plane and felt great when I arrived home.

My trouble began the next morning when diarrhea set in. :lb1:

I was feeling really sick to my stomach most of Friday and early Saturday. Yesterday I was allowed to add some liquid yogurt, and I wonder if that helped a bit. My tummy started feeling better, but the diarrhea continued. I started taking Imodium yesterday afternoon which slowed it a bit. It's still there this am, but not as bad. I hope to feel ready to go to work tomorrow!!

I started feeling hungry Friday - kinda stinks I have to say. But I keep sipping on something and it helps. I stopped drinking juice when the diarrhea started.

So that's my story so far - hope it helps some future bandster know what to expect. Despite the diarrhea I'm feeling pretty good - and still so happy I did this!! Looking forward to those creamy soups I tell ya!

:P

Welcome to bandland!! I enjoyed the photos in the gallery :0 I like the mafia pose!

Remember to dillute your juices!!!

I am so glad, but not suprised, that you had a good experience! You are doing great! I had diarrhea as well and although not pleasant it does eventually end....even though you will think it is not going to.

Your pictures are soo adorable! Congrats and I'm excited to watch your transformation - I can tell that your going to make this a fun journey!!

Oh, and Montezuma’s revenge tended to stick around (or not so) during the liquid faze for me.

Best,

Lisa

Glad you're back and everything went, for the most part, well!!!!

Thanks ladies!

I'm glad to hear that some of you have experienced the lovely side effects I have.

I did a search on the forum yesterday and saw that it was indeed fairly common. I don't know what I'd do without this forum and all of you!!

:)

Congrats, and welcome to the other side! I too had diarreah, just like you. It ended when I started on creamy soups (day 8 after surgery). I had my surgery on June 12th, so we are close together on our dates. It will be fun to see your progress.

Good luck and I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Denise

Yay! I love to hear everyone's stories....I knew you would do great! I also had diarrhea for a couple of weeks after I was banded. I guess it stems from liquid in and liquid out. I am so glad to hear everything went well. Welcome to Bandland!

NO STRAIGHT JUICE unless you are constipated. Works great as a laxative, as you have figured out.

Glad you are on the banded side now... welcome!

Hi all!

I was banded on Tuesday, 6/24. The OCC (like everyone says) is awesome! The docs are all great (and adorable) as are the nurses. Indeed, such an improvement over my previous surgery experiences in the US.

I posted pics in my gallery of my sister and I (got banded together) and our Dad who came for support.

We went to LaPalapa (across the street from the Lucerna) and had a fantastic dinner the night before surgery. I had ceviche for an appetizer and the "fish La Palapa" for my main course which had a cilantro sauce and cheese and bacon - yummmm!! (Can you tell I'm still on a clear liquid diet and thinking a bit much about food?) :)

I was a little anxious the day of surgery, but the staff really calmed me down - of course they gave us Ativan too, which really helps. Dr. Ortiz came by and chatted with us for a bit - he really put me at ease. He made sure we were clear on what to eat after surgery - and then how to succeed once on solids. And he told us that we'd both be hot mamas soon :) He's just so relaxed and warm and he made me feel much better.

Shortly after surgery I was chatting on the phone with family and sucking on popsicles. last time I had surgery I felt sick from the anesthesia for days, so it was amazing not to have any of that.

My sister and I both went back to the hotel the same day as surgery, which was great. We had the broth and apple juice at the hotel restaurant that night -- it was a bit too much to drink the broth and a whole big glass of juice at one sitting. We were a bit uncomfortable afterwards but did about 6 laps around the block where the hotel is and that helped with the bloating and gas.

The next day we went to the Arts and Crafts market and Revolucion ave. We bought some beautiful pottery at the market. It was a great place to go. I liked it a lot better than Revolucion Ave. Much less pushy sellers, and more beautiful wares in my opinion.

We flew home early Thursday, which was a long flight for me back to NYC. I slept a lot on the plane and felt great when I arrived home.

My trouble began the next morning when diarrhea set in. :lb1:

I was feeling really sick to my stomach most of Friday and early Saturday. Yesterday I was allowed to add some liquid yogurt, and I wonder if that helped a bit. My tummy started feeling better, but the diarrhea continued. I started taking Imodium yesterday afternoon which slowed it a bit. It's still there this am, but not as bad. I hope to feel ready to go to work tomorrow!!

I started feeling hungry Friday - kinda stinks I have to say. But I keep sipping on something and it helps. I stopped drinking juice when the diarrhea started.

So that's my story so far - hope it helps some future bandster know what to expect. Despite the diarrhea I'm feeling pretty good - and still so happy I did this!! Looking forward to those creamy soups I tell ya!

:P