Just joined up, new forum member

Hey folks,

Just wanted to say hi & introduce myself! I'm Aaron, I'm 32, 310 lbs. (and dropping), from Michigan, and am currently on day five of my lap band recovery. Had my operation on Monday at St. John Oakland hospital in suburban Detroit, and found this forum through the Internets!

So far, so good... recovering well, getting some appetite back. So far, the only issue I've really had is being gassy & unable to actually burp to relieve bloating pressure... It's escaped through... heh... the, uh, other end instead, but it's been steadily lessening. Have also noticed diarhhea (sorry for the unpleasant topics, but just wanted to see how my experience is comparing to others'), but I chalk this up to the IV antibiotics they gave me on Monday likely killing my intestinal bacteria. That, and I haven't had any real (semi-) solid food since Saturday.

However, this morning I started back on "full liquids," (my surgeon had me on full liquids for 10 days prior to the operation, so I'm used to it by now). Found some yogurts I quite like (Wallaby Organic Low-Fat from Whole Foods is fantastic, completely smooth, and comes in flavors like Bartlett Pear), have dismissed Cream of Wheat as vile, and discovered that chicken broth used to make polenta can be quite tasty.

Great to find this forum, I look forward to experiencing this with others!

Aaron

Welcome to the forum! I was banded on 07/01 in the States as well. Most on this forum were banded by the OCC, in Mexico with fabulous results. Glad to have you join. I too have gotten a lot of valuable information from this site and the members are really nice.

As for your gassy problems, that is perfectly normal. I am 16 days out and it was only like 5 days ago before I started feeling 'normal' again. Just remember to keep walking and follow your diet. You will be great!

Good luck with your weight loss!

:)

Hey folks,

Just wanted to say hi & introduce myself! I'm Aaron, I'm 32, 310 lbs. (and dropping), from Michigan, and am currently on day five of my lap band recovery. Had my operation on Monday at St. John Oakland hospital in suburban Detroit, and found this forum through the Internets!

Aaron

Welcome!! And congrats on your surgery!!

Hi Aaron :lb9: Congratulations on being banded. Phazyme and Gas X strips work great for gas. I was banded on May 15th, and without the support of all my fellow bandsters, I don't think I would have made it this far. We are all here to support you through your good times and rough times. Need support or advice... ask away.

ANITA

Yeah, another man - I love it! Welcome, welcome :lb14: :-h

Your going to love this forum, I started looking at posts several weeks before my 6/13/08 banding and I can't tell you how much great information I got and continue to get - man, you just feel the warmth oozing out of your computer. :give_heart: Lots and lots of good warm fuzzies coming out of this forum! :heart:

Again, welcome to our world - your going to love it!!!!! :good2:

'

Welcome, Aaron! We are so glad to have you join our group.

Dang, no paper thong jokes to make...

Welcome!

You're about to learn a whole new way of burping. That's scary enough. Scarier, it will bring you newborn infant pleasure for about three weeks.

Can I recommend kefir or a health food store for acidophilus? Repopulates your GI tract with helpful flora.

32 and male...wow, you're about to show us what rapid weightloss without a tummy tuck really looks like.

You go, guy!

Hello and welcome... another guy on the block, very cool!!

I think Chad needs to make a subforum called "The Men's Room" so you boys have a place to ask male-specidfic questions!! That way all of girls don't get jealous about how quickly you guys are able to lose weight, lol!

Welcome to the group!!

It's always nice to see a new positive face. This forum has been key for me with questions and just general support. I also get alot of humor and laughter. I had the oppisite problem as you after surgery. I got backed up pretty bad, although I heard that story too. I know they told us if we were drinking juice to dilute it to half and some people seem to be lactose intolerant. I did not have those problems. Glad your here.

Hey folks,

So far, so good... recovering well, getting some appetite back. So far, the only issue I've really had is being gassy & unable to actually burp to relieve bloating pressure... It's escaped through... heh... the, uh, other end instead, but it's been steadily lessening. Have also noticed diarhhea (sorry for the unpleasant topics, but just wanted to see how my experience is comparing to others'), but I chalk this up to the IV antibiotics they gave me on Monday likely killing my intestinal bacteria. That, and I haven't had any real (semi-) solid food since Saturday.

However, this morning I started back on "full liquids," (my surgeon had me on full liquids for 10 days prior to the operation, so I'm used to it by now). Found some yogurts I quite like (Wallaby Organic Low-Fat from Whole Foods is fantastic, completely smooth, and comes in flavors like Bartlett Pear), have dismissed Cream of Wheat as vile, and discovered that chicken broth used to make polenta can be quite tasty.

Aaron

WELCOME!! And don't worry about the poopytalk, we seem to do that a lot here.

Hi Aaron...Welcome too!

I am originally from Michigan as well. Spent my summers on Harsen's Island. You familiar with it?

Best of Luck with your band.

Hi Kimmy,

I am familiar w/ Harsen's Island, a friend of mine's grandparents have a place there! Not terribly far from me at all.

Thanks to everyone for the well-wishes! I hadn't realized that the vast majority of the posters were ladies, but that's no problem at all! I'll try not to make it seem like I'm losing weight too fast. Heh! And no guarantees that I won't need the tummy tuck either, I had a pretty impressive gut that needs to go away first before we make that determination. But I figured that being 32 now and on the verge of blood pressure & cholesterol medicine, was better idea for me to do take a dramatic step like this now, while I'm young enough to be strong & heal quickly, than to wait for more serious problems later.

My sister-in-law in San Antonio had it done just before Xmas, and she's lost 65 lbs.! She was really the trigger to get me to do it too, after seeing the success she'd had with it. I decided that I'd had 32 years of being able to eat whatever I want... I wanted to try the next 32 of being able to WEAR whatever I want.

Here we go!

-Aa.

Welcome to the forum, Aaron and bandland.

Not only is this forum great, but there is a bunch of great people here as well.

Hello Aaron and welcome to our group! :D

You will love it here!

Hi Aaron! :lb9:

Congrats on being banded! My recovery sounds quite a bit like yours. I had a problem with diahrrea, but I quickly found out it was because of the apple juice I was drinking. I cut that out real quick! I think you'll find this forum really helpful. Don't hesitate to ask us anything!