I went to my mom-in-law's b'day this weekend past. It's the first time I've seen them since banding. When I walked in the room with all the family, 16 of them, they went quiet. It totally freaked me out. It only lasted for probably less than a minute but it felt like an eternity. We all sat for dinner and I quietly ate the way I do at home. I didn't want to draw attention to myself as previously I would have had a buffet style plate loaded. Had a tiny chicken breast, a tiny bit of salad, 1/2 a baked potato (that I didn't finish) and passed on everything else. When cake was served I asked for a small child's portion, had a bite (EW!) so I wouldn't be rude and discretely placed it on my hubby's plate.

Throughout the evening I noticed people sneaking looks over and my mom-in-law was blatantly staring at me. Long story short, we were the first to leave as I had to get back to work. I've been so bogged down with cases that I haven't had much time to do anything else for the past couple weeks. MIL walked us to the door which she never does, gave me a huge hug, blurted out "YOU'RE GORGEOUS! What have you been doing with yourself?" I damned near died and hubby just looked shocked. (His mom is a very reserved lady not given to emotional display)

She was determined to figure out how I did it so I shared with her the bandster lifestyle (omitting the part about banding because I just don't want to deal with that whole thing with them). Band or no band the reality is we still have to do the work! I broke it all out, portion sizes, order of eating, chew 20 times, eat slowly, don't drink when you eat, elimination of junk and liquid cals, the whole garbage in/garbage out mentality, importance of proteins, small plates, salad forks, multi-vitamins, liquid calcium. The whole nine.

Long story short, his mom and his sister are now trying their hands at bandster living!

Never let it be said that determination and an excellent band surgeon (Dr. Ortiz) aren't the answer. My band and I keep each other honest. hehe My first fill is at the end of the month. YAY!

JANN... great story. Thanks for sharing. What a great idea not telling them about you being banded, just the way you have changed your lifestyle. You must have been on cloud nine when you walked in and they all stopped what they were doing. You know what they were looking at. (Where'd you go??) Keep up the excellent work!

Great story, Keep up the great work!

What an awesome story! I can't wait to have that moment. Keep up the good work and let us know how they do with the bander lifestyle.

Again awesome job!

Can you iimagine there reaction in another 10 or 20 pounds. This would motivate me to keep going. I am so happy for you. Congrats. I have not seen my in-laws yet. I would like to take off another 15 before I do.

Jann, great story. I am acutally going to see some of my family tonight and I have not seen then since like 20lbs ago. When you are only 5'3" that is a lot of weight. I can't wait to see their reaction!

I loved your story, Jann. Thanks so much for sharing your NSV with us! I'll be sure to share mine with you guys if I ever have one! :huh: