bandgroupie

TOMATO PIE (SMACK YER GRANNY!)

1 9 inch ready made pie crust

2 LARGE ripe tomatoes, sliced thin, salted, and drained

1 medium onion, sliced thin

1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese

3/4 cup mayonnaise

Bake pie crust in oven for about 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven. <- IMPORTANT STEP TO BAKE PIE SHELL, DONT SKIP!

Put thinly sliced onions in bottom of pie crust

Then layer (DRAINED) sliced tomatoes over onions <- IMPORTANT TO DRAIN THE TOMATOES FIRST

Mix cheeses and mayo, add black pepper.

Pour cheese mixture over tomatoes, spread.

Bake pie in 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes.

YOU *WILL* SMACK YOUR GRANNY FOR A PIECE OF THIS PIE :)

There are other versions on the net but this is the recipe that was given to me which I tried today. YUMMMMIE. It's full of protein ;) and the healthiest pie I've ever eaten ;)

Enjoy!

Oooh, this sounds very interesting! If you added some pizza herbs like oregano and basil, might be a very interesting substitute for pizza that so many of us love but can't really have anymore! I'll definitely try it, once I'm back on real food.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

TOMATO PIE (SMACK YER GRANNY!)

1 9 inch ready made pie crust

2 LARGE ripe tomatoes, sliced thin, salted, and drained

1 medium onion, sliced thin

1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese

3/4 cup mayonnaise

Bake pie crust in oven for about 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven. <- IMPORTANT STEP TO BAKE PIE SHELL, DONT SKIP!

Put thinly sliced onions in bottom of pie crust

Then layer (DRAINED) sliced tomatoes over onions <- IMPORTANT TO DRAIN THE TOMATOES FIRST

Mix cheeses and mayo, add black pepper.

Pour cheese mixture over tomatoes, spread.

Bake pie in 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes.

YOU *WILL* SMACK YOUR GRANNY FOR A PIECE OF THIS PIE :)

There are other versions on the net but this is the recipe that was given to me which I tried today. YUMMMMIE. It's full of protein ;) and the healthiest pie I've ever eaten ;)

Enjoy!

Yes, Thank you Debbie ! My husband and I both have had it for breakfast everyday this week! He even asked me to make another one :wub:

Question: What's the best way to drain sliced tomatoes?

I just slice the fresh tomatoes and lay them on a paper towel while I am preparing the rest of the ingredients and baking the pie shell. Once I am ready to put them in the pie shell they are fine and the fluid has been absorbed

Deb

The famous Tomato Pie Recipe! Can't wait to try this...once I'm on solid food, that is.

Since it is winter...any suggestions on any good tomato's to use. Has anyone tried using green tomato's.

Jill, thanks for asking about draining sliced tomato's, I was wondering the same thing.

I think I might try this recipe with fat free ricotta cheese instead of mayo and do what Bragman sugests by adding the oregano and basil to the ricotta like I was make a lasagna. Or maybe even fat free cottage cheese with the basil and oregano. I will let everyone know how it comes out. I am sure it will be devine either way.

Deeeevine! I made it tonight with a low fat ricotta instead of the mayo and it is good. According to WW Recipe Builder by subing light mayo with the low fat ricotta and using 2% reduced fat mozzarella I was able to bring the recipe down from 6 points per slice to 4.

I am going to make it again in a couple days but this time I want to try using the fat free cottage cheese as the consistancy will not be quite as thick as ricotta. Will let you know how it comes out.

Okay, so here is the deal:

Fat Free Cottage Cheese as a sub for mayo is WONDERFULLY DELICIOUS! Second, Both my mom and I have found that by adjusting the temp up from 350 degrees to 375 degrees is ideal as the crust is more firm and not as mushy and it cooks the ingrediants better in the alotted 30 minutes. At 350 degree we both found that we were leaving the pie in the over for at least another 10 minutes just to get the cheese to melt.

I also have found that seasoning the cheese mixture with a tablespoon of basil & parsley alsong with pepper is perfect. Just a touch of oregano is fine too but be careful with the oregano as too much will leave an after-taste.

How can you stop?! lol

Maybe I'll slice it up and put it in bags. That way it's easy to grab and maybe I'll just stop at 1 piece.

I'm already having bigger pieces than I should. I cut it in six pieces and ate two! I know, terrible. And the scale reflected it this morning. I had one piece this morning and I'm back on track today, I hope. I couldn't wait to eat, but I'm having the same problems I've always had with eating! :unsure:

Ok, you guys are right. Tomato Pie will make you smack your granny. It looks and smells good too. The only thing I will do different next time is dice my onions up and saute them first. I'm some what of a texture freak and would like them to be softer. Other than that, it really is delicious! I'll be honest...when I heard of it, I was not so sure but I'll try anything once. Yum yum!! Sliced into 8 slices-one a day.

Ok, you guys are right. Tomato Pie will make you smack your granny. It looks and smells good too. The only thing I will do different next time is dice my onions up and saute them first. I'm some what of a texture freak and would like them to be softer. Other than that, it really is delicious! I'll be honest...when I heard of it, I was not so sure but I'll try anything once. Yum yum!! Sliced into 8 slices-one a day.

I wondered what you would think about the "firm" onions--I like fairly raw onions, so for me, it was great! But I know many people (my husband included) who like their onions more cooked. I had trouble cutting the pieces so small.....but then again, maybe I didn't try hard enough ;)

The onions can be a problem if you do not cut them thin enough and adjust the oven temp up to at least 375 degrees. I cut mine paper thin and crank up the oven and they are firm but not raw tasting.

It occured to me as I pulled mine out of the oven tonight that this recipe might me good for zuchini as well instead of tomatoes. I know shelby mentioned she did not like tomatoes so I thought a zuchini pie might work. I think I am going to try a zuchini pie sometime this week and let you know.

I am so in love with the fat free cottage cheese but I was also thinking that for anyone who does not find the cottage, ricota appealing another way around the mayo (the thought of all that mayo makes me want to gag) would be fat free sour cream. It is a little higher in calories then fat free cottage cheese, but it might be a worthy substitute for anyone who wants to give it a shot.

I might try the FF sour cream version next weekend.

I still haven't made this yet. I will make one next weekend. I'm not a zucchini person, but with enough cheese and onion--I might be able to manage! What about mixing the ricotta and sour cream?

Half FF ricotta and half FF sour cream sound devine!! Great idea!