I'm scared the lapband isn't working for me

I was banded June 9. I lost 20 lbs. in the liquid post diet phase. I've not lost another pound since then and it's been a month on solids. I can eat as much of anything as I want. Anything. So I made an appt. and got a fill at OCC. They only put in .8 cc's and said I came too soon and should have waited longer. I came at 5 1/2 weeks because I knew I would be travelling for 2 months and not able to do it until after that. I was also eating what I wanted.

I'm not gaining. I'm just not losing. I have made an appt. for a second fill but they want me to wait another 4 weeks. Here is my question.

What does good restriction mean? I thought I was not going to physically be able to eat as much as I used to. I can eat an entire plate of mexican food and desset! Is that normal?

I'm not hungry very much but I'm eating anyway...and all the wrong things. I just found out my dad was diagnosed with a terminal cancer and I'm an emotional wreck. Of course, I want to bathe in chocolate. I am starting to feel this whole thing is a waste of money I don't have to waste. I'm getting pretty down.

Give it some time. I had my first fill at 5 1/2 weeks also, and a second fill a month later. I was filled with 5 cc in a 10 cc band the first time, and noticed restriction. For me, restriction felt like I was stuffed (like after Thanksgiving dinner) after eating less than I used to eat. It takes a little while (I am surmising this part) for my body to adjust to the different amounts and limits, and at the point where my weight plateaus - stays the same - it's almost time for another fill. The second fill was 1.4 cc additionally with the original 5 cc (total of 6.4 cc) and tonight, for example, I could only eat half of a small calzone (I used to eat an entire large myself). I just felt stuffed. If nothing else, my eating out bill has decreased dramatically, and my weight is going down slowly. And I am happy with the fact that I am FULL so quickly.

Good luck with yours... give it a little time. Ask OCC when you can get your second fill, and plan on asking them to be a little more aggressive.

I was banded June 9. I lost 20 lbs. in the liquid post diet phase. I've not lost another pound since then and it's been a month on solids. I can eat as much of anything as I want. Anything. So I made an appt. and got a fill at OCC. They only put in .8 cc's and said I came too soon and should have waited longer. I came at 5 1/2 weeks because I knew I would be travelling for 2 months and not able to do it until after that. I was also eating what I wanted.

I'm not gaining. I'm just not losing. I have made an appt. for a second fill but they want me to wait another 4 weeks. Here is my question.

What does good restriction mean? I thought I was not going to physically be able to eat as much as I used to. I can eat an entire plate of mexican food and desset! Is that normal?

I'm not hungry very much but I'm eating anyway...and all the wrong things. I just found out my dad was diagnosed with a terminal cancer and I'm an emotional wreck. Of course, I want to bathe in chocolate. I am starting to feel this whole thing is a waste of money I don't have to waste. I'm getting pretty down.

I am having the same problem as you. I'm heading out this morning for my first fill and it's been 6 weeks and 4 days since my surgery (June 12). I lost 12 pounds in the first 2 weeks following surgery and haven't lost anything since then either.

I'm hoping and praying that this fill today will get me started back on track of losing. My doctor did tell me when this all started that the first 6 weeks were not about weight loss, but about healing, so that has been keeping me going.

Time will tell....

Denise

I am sorry you are feeling down. You have to remember that the band is a lifestyle change and the weight should take 1-2 years to come off. It took me awhile to come to terms with that, but I finally have. You have only just begun your journey with the band, so don't give up yet. Once you get a good fill you will be very restricted as to what you can eat.

I had to wait awhile for my fills too, so I know what you are going through. Hang in there!

Dear Kibble

Let's you and me hang in there together. I got my first fill at 6 weeks and it has not kicked in, I have been whinning about this ever since...NO RESTRITION. I have not lost weight in about 5-6 weeks! The doctor is letting me come back three weeks from the first fill and I can't wait unti Aug 7th at 3:15 pm. All the ladies that got banded with me in TJ have great restriction, lost more weight and can eat only very, very small amounts before HAVING to stop.

But Kibble we are all different, our pouch area might be tougher to yeilding to the band fill and will need more presure. What we do not want is to be be over filled and not even be able to swallow our own spit. From what I have read, that is a nightmare.

I am not a patient person and like instant gradification (like from food) but it will happen for me and for you....just look to the wonderful people here on the forum that will be there to coach us along the way. Keep reading the posts everyday and do what the winners are doing. Please don't be so hard on your self or the band....your Sweet Spot is coming and so is mine.

When you say, you ate what you wanted....are you following the guidelines? Protein, veggies, grains and fruit.

I was banded June 10th...and have not had a fill yet. I have lost consistently since surgery approx 25 lbs. I find that when I bump up the protein, I lose.

You are on the right track, be patient, it will happen!!

I am feeling the same way Kibble. I feel like I was meant to be fat! Just another $8000 diet trick down the drain. I am not losing anything and had my surgery done on 5/7/08. I have lost a total of 9 pounds since my surgery and had my first fill on 7/4/08 had great restriction and sometimes still do, it just depends on what I am eating, but not losing a thing and have not gone down any in sizes.

Kibble,

It's true that everyone is different. I got my band March 11, 2008. I lost 9 pounds before the surgery and lost 6 after the surgery. I had my first fill, May 5th. I didn't lose anything after the first 2 weeks for having the band put on,so from March 20th till May 5th nothing. After my first fill I lost 8 pounds that month and them I got my 2nd fill June 2nd and I have consistently been losing every week. I have lost a total of 31 pounds and I have just made my 3rd fill appt at OCC. I

have been doing weight watchers online and I have been working out with a personal trainer 2x a week and doing cardio 3 days.

I have had to work hard for my weight loss. The band is a tool, learn your band and your body and you will see the weight come off.

Don't give up!!!!!

Maytee

I am having the same problem. I had my surgery on july 2 and lost some weight the first week then I was taken off all restriction by my doctor. since then i have gained all my weight back that I lost which was about 9 pounds. I dont fill restricted at all. I have an appointment comming up and I hope my fill will work.

I just had my first fill today and my doctor put 2 cc's in my band. Yesterday I had to do an eating test to help him determine how much of a fill I needed. The test was to try and eat 6-8 ounces of cooked meat in 30 min, and stop when you felt full. I managed to eat 7.5 ounces in 24 min. I reported this result to my dr. today and he gave me his maximum fill (2 cc's) for a first timer. Now I'm on clear liquids for 24 hours, then full liquids for 24 hours, then soft foods for 24 hours and by Thursday this week I can eat regular food again. I'll hopefully feel the restriction begin soon!

I'm ready to lose weight!

Denise

I just had my first fill today and my doctor put 2 cc's in my band. Yesterday I had to do an eating test to help him determine how much of a fill I needed. The test was to try and eat 6-8 ounces of cooked meat in 30 min, and stop when you felt full. I managed to eat 7.5 ounces in 24 min. I reported this result to my dr. today and he gave me his maximum fill (2 cc's) for a first timer. Now I'm on clear liquids for 24 hours, then full liquids for 24 hours, then soft foods for 24 hours and by Thursday this week I can eat regular food again. I'll hopefully feel the restriction begin soon!

I'm ready to lose weight!

Denise

It sounds like your doctor is really trying to help. Let us know how that works for you.

When you say, you ate what you wanted....are you following the guidelines? Protein, veggies, grains and fruit.

I was banded June 10th...and have not had a fill yet. I have lost consistently since surgery approx 25 lbs. I find that when I bump up the protein, I lose.

You are on the right track, be patient, it will happen!!

Just wondering if they put in a little fill when you had the band placed? My doctor kept asking me if that was the case for me.

I have a 4cc band and my first fill they did 2cc. Which was great at first and it's weird how sometimes it's there and sometimes it not. Why do you think that is? I was reading other post today by MamaMichelle who was talking about eating Mexican food, and someone else replied that she PB'd eating at Olive Garden, but ate Mexican food that night and could eat just fine. Anyway, I have my 2nd fill appt scheduled for 8/16/08. Something has to work here because I am so FRUSTRATED!!!! :lb20:

I have had 3 fills in a 4cc band and only have 1.7cc in my band. I wish my Dr. would give me more. I think they don't because I am still losing weight. I could still overeat if I wanted to, but I make myself stop.

I have had 3 fills in a 4cc band and only have 1.7cc in my band. I wish my Dr. would give me more. I think they don't because I am still losing weight. I could still overeat if I wanted to, but I make myself stop.

My surgeon said he will only be giving me little fills too...which is fine for me, I guess, I'm only an hour away and the cost has been pre-paid...I just want restriction back without PBing!!!

Hey Kim...did you ever decide if you were going to a different fill doctor or are you staying with the same one? I know how frustrated you were with the amount of fill you were getting. My fill doctor will only do .5cc each visit @ $270 a fill. I have no choice though, there is no one else in the area.

Barb

It's weird, we are all still struggling with the weight loss issue. I too sound very much like you guys, I was stuck and then after my 3 rd fill I lost a few more pounds and now I am up a pound, down a pound. I have lost several inches eventhough I didn't measure. I am down 1 size. My restriction is good, so I am not sure what is going on. I still think I am eating too much. I seem to push it for some stuid reason.

Just remember we are all on this roller coaster together and 1 day we will be soooooooo hot!

I hope your dad continues to improve with whatever treatment he decides to go with and that he will live every day to it's fullest. Life is really good when your forced to look at it a little different. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

REneej

Hang in there, it will happen.........really it will. It took 2 fills for me to finally have some restriction. I did not know what it was like to PB. Now I do it almost daily. I can no long eat bread or flour tortilla. I still feel like I can eat alittle more than I should, so I am going for another fill on 8-7-08. Remember, we are all different and they want to get us to our sweet spot slowly so we don't have problems. Hang in there, I was also frustrated after my first fill of 1.6cc. I had absolutely no restriction. You'll get there. It is important to make good food choices though, I know it is hard, but you can do it. good food choices and exercise have to go hand and hand with the band. Best of Luck

Hi Kibble,

Don't dispair. I've also been through that same issue (little or no restriction), but I found a way to make it work, anyway. I decided to limit myself to between 1000 to 1200 calories a day, and so far, it seems to be working out. Until I get my next fill, the band isn't going to be much help, other than making it so I don't feel AS hungry.

Hope this helps.

- 1jmk (Janet).

I would just like to say I am totally sorry. I too am having the very same problem. It is humiliating. I wish I had not told a soul I was having it done. Because I feel like such a big failure My husband and my children are even more mean about my weight than before. I have a 10 cc band and have 8-9 cc in my port and I can still eat a lot. I haven't lost any weight since I was banded. I am very discouraged. It all come down to getting a grip on your lifestyle, eating right and exercising. Good luck.

What I have gained (bad term maybe) from reading this thread is that we all must face our individual food/eating issues and allow old habits to die maybe not in our timing, but in His perfect timing. This is a LIFESTYLE change for sure. I am struggling myself but it's not the band's fault, it's my choices. For others who are making the right choices your body will lose weight but again maybe not as fast as you want it to.

I love this forum for the sense of belonging and being part of something so many others struggle with.

To everyone who is struggling... :lb4:

And once again as mama always said, "This too shall pass."

Thank you to everyone who wrote on this topic. I have had all the same feelings and anxiety that many of you have had. I was banded on June 6th and just had my first fill on Monday July 28th. After the surgery I lost 10 pounds and then nothing. I have not gained but I have not lost for weeks. After this fill I do not feel as though I am eating less than before the fill. I have been wondering if I made it slip or what is going on. So,,,, thank you to all of you for being so honest and helping me to realize that this is somewhat normal. Good luck to all and I hope we all start feeling satisfied soon. -Jamie :)

Dear Kibble

Let's you and me hang in there together. I got my first fill at 6 weeks and it has not kicked in, I have been whinning about this ever since...NO RESTRITION. I have not lost weight in about 5-6 weeks! The doctor is letting me come back three weeks from the first fill and I can't wait unti Aug 7th at 3:15 pm. All the ladies that got banded with me in TJ have great restriction, lost more weight and can eat only very, very small amounts before HAVING to stop.

But Kibble we are all different, our pouch area might be tougher to yeilding to the band fill and will need more presure. What we do not want is to be be over filled and not even be able to swallow our own spit. From what I have read, that is a nightmare.

I am not a patient person and like instant gradification (like from food) but it will happen for me and for you....just look to the wonderful people here on the forum that will be there to coach us along the way. Keep reading the posts everyday and do what the winners are doing. Please don't be so hard on your self or the band....your Sweet Spot is coming and so is mine.

I'm on this bus, too! Thanks for posting this!