Seeing Red

Alana,

You handled the situaltion very well, I personally would have "gone off" on her sorry butt!

Hi,

I know that really ticks you off. It ticks me off!!! Some people just do not care about their impact on others. In their minds, they are perfect and are the standard to be held to. Makes me sick that anyone would treat you that way. What was her point? Just letting you know how superior she is or was she full of herself she thought you would go have the band removed??? lol Shame on her.

You are an inspiration for me and for many others. You took your life back the day you had your surgery. Don't let some jack-a55 upset you.

I'm so proud of the way you handled that situation, as much as you just want to let them have it, it's better to just let it go. It makes you a far superior person! =D>

I wasn't shy about telling people that I was getting banded, but I soon found out everyone has an opinion so I just stopped talking about it.

And look how all of your fellow bandsters reacted, talk about getting everyone's blood boiling! :lb20: It's like a parent with a child, don't hurt my child because I will hurt you back real bad!!! :punish:

I have to admit it's kind of fun to see a "rant" post once in a while, it gets everyone going!!! :aggressive:

Stay strong and ignore those ignorant people! :beee:

Oh my gosh Alana! My sister in law is like that too. She is a plus sized girl too and is having some success on Weight Watchers which I tried and failed. When I told her I was having lap band surgery she was like... whatever that's the easy way I'm going to tough it out and do it the hard way. It's funny how people think this is the easy way. I struggle everyday with making the correct food choices, do I want chili fries or a chicken salad? I could easily go for the chili fries but I CHOOSE to eat the chicken salad. This is a lifestyle change and not a diet and that makes it even harder to work towards.

The funny thing is I just found out from my niece that her mom, my sister in law that criticized me, looked into the surgery also and her insurance wouldn't cover it so I've come to the conclusion that she is just jealous that I had the surgery and she didn't!

Don't let anyone ever make you feel bad about your choice! We all know that we made the right decision and that we WILL achieve our goals!

Erin

The problem with Weight Watchers is that once people hit their goal weight and go into the maintance program, the majority of people tend to gain all their weight back plus more. When you have reached your goal weight and she weighs more that she did to begin with, remind her of her statement!!!

Go you! I totally would have said that to her face. As a matter of fact, you still can. How dare she! But you are right. She's so unhappy in her own life that she has to criticize someon else's. Be strong. You did a great thing for yourself. I am on my way into surgery tomorow morning. Your weight loss is incredible....I saw your ticker. I pray for the same success. You're doing awesome and don't let these losers put you down. Hold your head up high...it takes great courage to do what we are all doing! Screw this co-worker!

Elaina

I posted this on my blog, but I'm so mad, I had to share it with you all. I hope none of you every have to deal with a person life this, but if you do, feel free to take my response and use it as your own.

Today I had a confrontation with one of THOSE people. The type of person that truly believes weight loss surgery is an easy way out and that I should have just ate less and exercised more. It was a co-worker of mine, someone I don't care for very much, and unfortunately she found out about my surgery. Apparently, she thought it was her duty to tell me that I had wasted my money, that I should have just been more disciplined in my choices and that I should have tried harder. This is what I wish I could have said to her:

EXCUSE ME????? Who are you to tell me that my decision is wrong? Who are you to tell me that I didn't try hard enough? Were you there the nights I cried myself to sleep because I had been called fat that day? Were you there every time I attempted a new diet and failed? How dare you tell me to try harder. That is what I've been doing for the last 8 years - trying to get a grip on my weight and my life. That is what I was doing when I decided to have this surgery. Who are you to tell me what to do with my money? If I want to take $8,000 and have a surgery that could save my life, that's what I'm gonna do. Hell, if I wanted to take that $8,000 and set it on fire, THAT'S MY BUSINESS. Who are you to think that your opinion belongs anywhere in my life? I'm sorry that you're so unhappy with your own life that you have to criticize the lives of others.

And when I told you in a fairly polite tone that how I spend my money is my business, how dare you tell me not to get an attitude. Get a life, lady, and stay out of mine!

You definitely took the high road.

I congratulate you on your restraint. I know a lot of people that thrive on "drama", especially where I work.

I would make it a point to tell her that you would appreciate it if she didn't BLAB about your personal life.

I feel for ya girl

Move on and show her that the Lap Band is working for you.

That will be you're sweetest revenge!

Take care

Thank you for all the replies. I have definitely cooled off! We have strict HIPPA laws down here, too, so I know I could probably say something, but I don't think I will. Like some of you said, the best revenge is my sucess. Today I took special care in making sure I looked great, wore a cute dress that hasn't fit me in quite a while. I made a point to stop by her area today and was secretly smiling inside when several people around her complimented me on my looks.

Anyways, thanks, everyone! I promise, no more rant posts from this bandster. :)

Thank you for all the replies. I have definitely cooled off! We have strict HIPPA laws down here, too, so I know I could probably say something, but I don't think I will. Like some of you said, the best revenge is my sucess. Today I took special care in making sure I looked great, wore a cute dress that hasn't fit me in quite a while. I made a point to stop by her area today and was secretly smiling inside when several people around her complimented me on my looks.

You can rant all you want, don't stop! Thats what we are here for!!

Honestly....I think this whole topic is best handled with a smile and a nod AND then just think how SWEET it will feel when you keep getting thinner and thinner AND she has to watch and get jealouser and jealouser.

No one in my office knows about my surgery, but my weight loss is really starting to show and everyone is asking me how I am doing it? What is my secret? I just tell them I keep eating soup. I don't think you can get fat eating soup. Have you ever heard of anyone saying "I gained weight eating soup"?

Gotta love this! You are the bomb!

oh, and rant away... we live for ranting.. lol...

• 1 year later...

okay - first this definately isnt the easy way out - it has been the HARDEST thing I have ever done in my life! but well worth it. Unfortunately their are always people out there who do not follow the "if you dont have anything nice to say, dont say anything at all" rule. One of my "friends" actually said to me something along the lines of didnt I feel bad taking advantage of my personal health care for them helping with my surgery when I only had a few pounds to lose. UGHHHHHHHHHHHHH but I think it is because she has been struggling to lose weight herself for her wedding and has gained weight. But - I just went clothes shopping today and bought 4 pairs of size 6 pants. Karma I tell you!