Fill Centers USA -Austin, TX

Well this past Wednesday, I traveled to Austin to get my second fill. I was going to get it in Houston, which is only 45 minutes away from me, but I wanted to have it done with fluro. I paid $350 plus $83 a total of $430, not to mention gas and hotel which was about $225, so technically I spent about $650. And I WISH I would have went to Tijuana. Only because I felt like a NUMBER, while I was there.

First of all, the center was nice, modern and friendly. When I went into the room, they handed me a folder which contained a book, procedure info, and legal terms. She says, read this later, and let me know if you have questions. Then, I signed four more forms regarding legal sanctions, terms and conditions, etc... The doctor which didn't even introduce herself, until I asked for her name, seemed MORE nervous than I was. So I called her on it and she said she wasnt nervous, just had a headache and the radiological vest she was wearing was too heave, that's why she seemed a little off. WHATEVER

So, she began with the procedure and it was UNCOMFORTABLE. While using the fluro machine she took TWO times to get into my port, she made me hold my breath, tighten my stomach muscles, and took out about .6 cc from my band. She said that it was great, and I was doing well, my pouch wasn't stretched and I seemed to be doing very well. Then she inserted about .4 cc which gives me a total of 2.0 cc. While she inserted the fluid, I drank the liquid to check the tightness of my band, and since the tech forgot to strap my feet to the table, as she lifted the table to sit/stand me up, I was HOLDING ON FOR DEAR LIFE!!!! She took about 2 or 3 minutes making sure that everything looked good because the machine they used took photos and wasn't a live shot like in TJ. For heaven's sake, she has a needle in me and trying to move the table working against gravity! :girl_mad:

Anyway, afterwards she says thank you and have a nice day. I COULD NOT believe it!!!! The only reason I went to Austin was so that I would have to wait another 3 weeks to get a fill. It would have cost the SAME to go to TJ!!!! The only good thing now, is that when I go back -that is IF I go back I only have to pay $85 for fill WITHOUT fluro in Houston. Otherwise I would have to go back to Austin to get it with fluro. I thought this was a bunch of bullshit! :rolleyes:

THAT WAS IT...WTF? I paid all this money and $350 for what? A book that tells you about your pre-op and post-op (up to 8 weeks) and then what? It doesn't even tell you about 2nd, 3rd fills or even about 6months or annual updates. They just recommend information which I already knew because they told us at OCC. I think that we shouldn't have to pay all that money for a stupid book, and literature which is of NO use to me at this point! I should have only had to pay for the doctor visit and the fluro. Which technically should be covered by my insurance since it is a radiological exam. :ireful2:

GOOD news is, I do feel a bit restricted already. I had 48 hours of liquids and finally ate solids for dinner today (Friday) and since I had spagetti and meatsauce I didnt have any problems eating, chewing or anything at all. :D I'm able to drink without having any difficulties, I just need to make sure and eat/drink because I don't have the hunger pangs, like I was getting before.

Enough venting and writing for tonight. Thanks for reading and listening.

Yeah, the price they charged seemed outrageous! Fills are a great money maker for them. And thats because they know we are stuck and are forced to pay it rather than go back to Mexico. It is irritating. You'd think you would get more for your money. Unfortunately, it is probably easier for you to keep going there since then next fill will be only $85.

You need to recheck that price. I believe that the follow up visits are $85.00 and the fill an additional $99.00. At least this is what I was told from Fill Centers USA. At least your doctor did not try and sell you diet pills so that you would return on a regular basis. I was very disappointed in the whole Fill Center process, and sorry I did not go back to OCC.

I read everything on this forum. There sure is alot of discussion about fills. I like hearing all the different things that people have to go through to do this. It helps me to try and make an educated choice when it's time for my next fill.

Butterfly your experience does not sound very good. All the things you listed made me cringe. Not just the procedure itself but the $$$$$. I hope you can have a better experience next time no matter where you go and feel like you are not being ripped off.

I went to the fill center in thorton, co. it was a very pleasant experience for me. I did have to wait in the waiting room what seemed like forever, but the doctor was very nice and funny. He gave me 3ccs and said to check in with him in a month. i guess it depends on the fill center but i was satisfied with my experience.

• 1 month later...

Wow Not good news about the Austin Fill CenterUSA. I am scheduled for Oct 15th. I was banded Aug 13th 2008. They are so booked up I have to wait until 8 weeks post op to get a fill. Hope I don't gain any weight back. I have lost 22 lbs since surgery date. Yea!!!!.

I was told it was 165.00 office visit plus mandatory floro each fill of additional $80.40 after the initial visit of $349 plus Floro $80.40.

This is amazing that they have us where we have no other options in Texas.

I have also gone to fill center, Thorton, CO twice and my single complaint would be the wait but he was awesome. He always gets me in within a couple of days when I call. It is an older office and all but I definitely didn't feel like a number. Everyone was very attentive. O and I did it without fluro and he hit first time both times.

Sorry to hear that things didnt go better for you. I found a doctor an hour from my house my first visit was 175 with out the fluoro and 100 from here on out. He used an anastetic to numb the area but it took him 4 tries to find the port. He took the 1cc that I had in out and then added that plus 1cc more so I have a total of 2cc now. And restriction like you would not believe. I could only eat 3 little pieces of a grilled chicken. I really hope the next time it goes better for you.

I LIVE IN TEXAS AS WELL (AMARILLO) AND I AM GOING TO MY SISTERS' DOCTOR IN DALLAS, THAT DID HER SURGERY. HE IS DR ROBERT CARTER AND HE WILL BE DOING MY FILLS. I BELIEVE HE PROCTORED UNDER DR. ORTIZ SO HE IS HAPPY TO TAKE ON HIS PATIENTS FOR FILLS. I THINK THE COST IS $300. YOU MIGHT TRY GETTING HIM TO DO YOUR NEXT FILL. GOOD LUCK!

I have gone to the Austin fill center twice and have had great experiences there. The fluoro they used on me was not a still pic, it was live. And they never have strapped my feet down, I dont even change my clothes, I just wear low pants and a dark shirt in case I get blood on it. I am sorry you had such a bad experience there. But I guess everyone has off days. For me, I will always go back to the Austin fill center because I really like the people there and they do a great job :)

I LIVE IN TEXAS AS WELL (AMARILLO) AND I AM GOING TO MY SISTERS' DOCTOR IN DALLAS, THAT DID HER SURGERY. HE IS DR ROBERT CARTER AND HE WILL BE DOING MY FILLS. I BELIEVE HE PROCTORED UNDER DR. ORTIZ SO HE IS HAPPY TO TAKE ON HIS PATIENTS FOR FILLS. I THINK THE COST IS $300. YOU MIGHT TRY GETTING HIM TO DO YOUR NEXT FILL. GOOD LUCK!

Francie I live in Cactus 60 miles north of Amarillo and got my fill there in Amarillo by Dr. Roye. Does Dr. Cartes do fluoro?

Francie I live in Cactus 60 miles north of Amarillo and got my fill there in Amarillo by Dr. Roye. Does Dr. Cartes do fluoro?

DR. ROYE DOESN'T HAVE HIS PRACTICE HERE ANYMORE. I FORGET THE DR THAT REPLACED HIM, BUT I WILL FIND OUT. YES, DR. CARTER DOES THE FLUORO. MY SISTER SAID NOT TO HAVE A FILL WITHOUT IT. THAT'S COOL YOU LIVE SO CLOSE!!!